I think it would have been wise for Donald Trump to keep as far away as possible from issues involving sexual harassment, but he has said he thinks Bill O’Reilly (Fox News) should not have settled over claims of sexual harassment.
Hollywood Reporter: Trump Defends Bill O’Reilly: “He Shouldn’t Have Settled”
President Donald Trump is standing by Bill O’Reilly.
Trump praised the Fox News anchor while discussing the alleged unmasking of former national security adviser Susan E. Rice with the New York Times on Wednesday.
“I think he’s a person I know well — he is a good person,” said Trump of the O’Reilly Factor host while speaking from his desk in the Oval Office. “I think he shouldn’t have settled; personally I think he shouldn’t have settled. Because you should have taken it all the way. I don’t think Bill did anything wrong.”
a) How would Trump know whether O”Reilly had done anything wrong or not?
b) Why the hell is he involving himself in an issue like this?
Over the weekend, the Times published an exposé detailing claims against the O’Reilly and Fox News that resulted in $13 million in payouts from both. According to the report, five women alleged that O’Reilly sexually harassed them or engaged in other forms of inappropriate behavior. Two of the settlements were previously known, but the Times uncovered three additional settlements, two involving women who alleged sexual harassment and another who claimed O’Reilly verbally abused her.
Fox News has reportedly renewed its contract with O’Reilly, despite the claims.
Since the report, nearly two dozen advertisers have pulled ads from the program and The National Organization for Women (NOW) is now calling for Fox News to fire O’Reilly and, linking the claims to those against former Fox News chief Roger Ailes, launch an investigation into the “culture of sexual harassment at Fox News.”
Ailes resigned from Fox last July after allegations of sexual harassment.
Roger Ailes on Thursday resigned as chairman and chief executive of Fox News Channel following allegations of sexual harassment, an abrupt end to his 20-year rein over America’s most lucrative and powerful cable news channel for conservatives.
“I take particular pride in the role that I have played advancing the careers of the many women I have promoted to executive and on-air positions,” Ailes wrote in the letter, which his lawyer Susan Estrich provided to Reuters.
The resignation marks a swift downfall for Ailes, the 76-year-old media executive who advised several U.S. Republican presidents, including George H.W. Bush, and turned Fox News into the most-watched U.S. cable news channel.
His departure comes on the final and biggest night of the Republican National Convention, where Donald Trump will formally accept the Republican presidential nomination.
Trump tweeted on Thursday, “Roger Ailes just called. He is a great guy & assures me that ‘Trump’ will be treated fairly on @FoxNews. His word is always good!”
But Ailes is still under fire. Two days ago from NY Times: More Trouble at Fox News: Ailes Faces New Sexual Claims and O’Reilly Loses Two Advertisers
The sexual harassment scandal that engulfed Fox News last year and led to the ouster of its chairman, Roger Ailes, continued to batter the network on Monday, as a new lawsuit described unwanted sexual advances by Mr. Ailes and two major advertisers pulled their spots from the show of its top-rated host, Bill O’Reilly.
Earlier on Monday, Julie Roginsky, a current Fox News contributor, filed a lawsuit against Mr. Ailes, Fox News and Bill Shine, the network’s co-president, asserting that she faced retaliation for rebuffing Mr. Ailes’s sexual advances and for refusing to disparage Gretchen Carlson, the former Fox News host who sued Mr. Ailes last summer.
And a former regular guest on Mr. O’Reilly’s program, Wendy Walsh, who had recounted her allegations against him to The Times, held a news conference with her lawyer to discuss those claims and to call for an independent inquiry into sexual harassment at the network.
Mark Kranz, the cable news channel’s former chief financial officer, is reportedly cooperating with a federal investigation of payments that were made to women who claim to have been victims of sexual harassment by Ailes during his Fox News years.
Through his attorneys, the Fox News founder has repeatedly denied these allegations.
According to the Financial Times, Kranz is one of “multiple” Fox News executives who have been subpoenaed by U.S. attorneys who are looking into allegations that Ailes used corporate funds to pay off women who accused him and other employees of illegal behavior.
The existence of the federal criminal investigation was revealed at a hearing for a $49 million civil suit initiated by Andrea Tantaros, a former Fox News commentator who has accused Ailes of operating the channel “like a sex-fueled, Playboy Mansion-like cult, steeped in intimidation, indecency, and misogyny.”
Those who voted for Trump would have known they were unlikely to get a President who would do much to criticise sexual harassment, but some will be surprised that he is still openly supporting people facing allegations of harassment.
The current RCP President Trump Approval Rating average:
- Approve 40.2%
- Disapprove 52.7%
21st Century Fox, the parent company for Fox News, has dropped on the share market over the last few days.
21st Century Fox compared to the Dow Jones