Media watch – Saturday

8 April 2017

MediaWatch

Media Watch is a focus on New Zealand media, blogs and social media. You can post any items of interested related to media.

A primary aim here is to hold media to account in the political arena. A credible and questioning media is an essential part of a healthy democracy.

A general guideline – post opinion on or excerpts from and links to blog posts or comments of interest, whether they are praise, criticism, pointing out issues or sharing useful information.

As usual avoid anything that could cause any legal issues such as potential defamation or breaching suppression orders. Also remember that keeping things civil, legal and factual is more credible and effective.

1. Blazer

/  April 8, 2017

delicious…you guys are gonna…love…this..

2. There’s no doubt whatsoever that Slater and co are pretty well campaigning for NZ First. It’s no surprise to me, as he is in essence an old codger at heart. Most people wait until they’re seventy to make the switch to the pin-striped populist, but Slater sees the path to moderating National linked entirely to Peters. I believe that as he now has zero influence within, he sees the pensioner from Herne Bay in coalition as the only viable option to limit the washy washy Progressive nature of the Nats.

Can’t be bothered linking, you must all see the conversion. Every day it’s more unabashed Winnie ❤️ Love fest

• I’ve seen that too.

Winston holds National to ransom, stuffs NZ First, National blame English and dump him, maybe out of Government for a term, then team Lusk/Slater take over. Or something like that.

/  April 8, 2017

You have made me feel guilty for considering voting NZ First.

• I hope so.

• I’m still in Bali, (as way of explaining laziness), but can someone go through Slater’s posts this last year or so and do a piece on the NZ First bias please. It’d be quite telling imho

/  April 8, 2017

still in Bali,surrounded by…muzzies….do you feel safe?

/  April 8, 2017

The Whaler has an article written by a Muslim Inman. Going by that I would say Traveller needs to be careful. If the muzzies don’t get him the doctored booze might. They say you daren’t pass wind near an open flame after drinking that stuff.

/  April 8, 2017

Him? [use name please – PG], have you had a gender reassignment on the cheap over there? 😕

/  April 8, 2017

I did. What’s wrong with trav? She never objects to that. Trav’s one of my faves here.

• That’s not all you called her. Whether she objects or not isn’t the point if some see variations and embellishments to names (that may be harmless) they can think it is ok to attack people through their names.

And remember that one person’s term of ‘endearment’ can be a recipient’s cringe or offence.

/  April 8, 2017

Look, never mind, probably quicker just to say:
              Corky, trav’s a sheila not a trev.

/  April 8, 2017

Um Corky .. trav’s a Lady , not a Gentleman (just in case the above doesn’t survive a cull – I missed PG’s clarification)

/  April 8, 2017

Netsafe demanded that I respond within 48 hours as to whether or not I would comply with their requests for censorship, so let me respond publicly to Netsafe.

You can censor The Daily Blog the day you take the keyboard from my cold dead hands. The content you have asked to be censored is not defamatory and allowing secret censorship of political blogs is the most dangerous and disturbing part of your powers.

This blog ain’t for turning

My advice to Netsafe is that they pause, take a long deep breath and consider the Public backlash at this type of censorship. You were given these powers to stop cyber bullying, you sure as Christ weren’t given them to censor political blogs. This is an outrageous abuse of power and I won’t acquiesce to it.

Any incoming new Government in September has to urgently check the powers that have been given Netsafe, because I can’t imagine anyone who voted for the Harmful Digital Communications Act thought for one second it would be used against legitimate political comment online.

If Netsafe continue this action against The Daily Blog, I will ensure you our readers know about it.

Jesus❗️ Netsafe will be bricking it now 😦

– OVERSEAS VISA APPLICATION –

FAMILY NAME: Bradbury

GIVEN NAMES: Martyn

OTHER NAMES KNOWN BY: Bomber

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 8, 2017

It’s the same complaint. Netsafe sent it to the wrong blog.

• Kevin

/  April 8, 2017

It’s a different complaint, I believe. Not that it matters. Both Prentice and Bradbury for whatever reason think that NetSafe is demanding that content from their respective blogs be taken down. I give one thing to Bradbury – at least he had the good sense not to name names.

HDCA 101: NetSafe cannot order content be taken down.

Pete, this may be of interest to you as a host:

Section 24 of the HDCA provides protection to hosts with regards to content that may breach the provisions of the HDCA. However it only applies if the host provides “an easily accessible mechanism that enables a user to contact the host about specific content in the manner provided in [section 24].” ref Section 25(2), http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2015/0063/latest/whole.html#DLM6512505

For the record though I’ve never seen any content on this blog that I thought would in any way breach the provisions of the HDCA.

• I haven’t had any requests from individuals or from Netsafe.

The only encounter I’ve had with the HDCA is when the numpties tried to use it to shut Your NZ down a year before it came into effect, and they failed to follow the required procedures, and they had concocted a complaint by posting comments anonymously that they then complained about.

I think that I’ve got moderation about right. Things could slip through, but if contacted I’ll deal with it appropriately.

It sounds like Prentice and Bradbury have grounds to grizzle, but I don’t think they are dealing with it very well.

Blogs should build a good positive rapport with Netsafe as we all learn how to deal with the HDCA effectively.

• Kevin

/  April 8, 2017

As far as I know Bradbury hasn’t said what he’s going to do. If he does nothing – i.e. doesn’t send a copy of the notice of complaint to the content author – then that just makes him liable if, and it’s a big if, the content is in breach of the HDCA.

In other words Bradbury will be doing himself a big favour by following the provisions of the Act (he can still complain about censorship if he wants). I’ve even put a comment on his thread pointing him to the relevant section of the Act.

3. Reply

So what?

/  April 8, 2017

I’ve got a bone to pick…with you…Al.

/  April 8, 2017

I give mine to the dogs, B, but you can have some too if you want.

• Nelly Smickers

That’s Wayne 4 from left……standing next to Peter Theil 😄

Jesus. Have you had him on a diet? 😕

/  April 8, 2017

same could be said of…you..on the far..right.

/  April 8, 2017

I thought that was you. That’s what it says. Tell you what, Blazer, if this is the paleo diet it’s not for me. 😐

4. I’m an an original Double xx. Not a Y in sight.

5. @blazer. Your knowledge of Bali is lacking. While the island might be surrounded by “muzzles” as you cal them, they’re about as likely to ray to Mecca as you are to join the Nationa Party. It’s very much a Hindi stronghold in Indonesia. The culture is very interesting as it combines good old fashioned ancestor worship along with a simplified Hindi caste system. It’s a photographic and anthropological dream.

• Er “muzzies”. Thanks Autocorrect 😎😎😎😎

oh do tell….’https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Bali_bombings

/  April 8, 2017

I see ‘ It’s very much a Hindi stronghold in Indonesia.’.

‘87.18% of Indonesians identified themselves as Muslim (with Sunnis more than 99%,[10] Shias 0.5%,[11] Ahmadis 0.2%[12]), 6.96% Protestant, 2.91% Catholic, 1.69% Hindu, 0.72% Buddhist, 0.05% Confucianism, 0.13% other, and 0.38% unstated or not asked.[1]’Wiki

• Indonesia is not Bali. You need to get out more and you’ll see that they dance to the beat of their own drum. I’m a fatalist as far as travel goes. If my number is up, it’s up. You won’t catch me in the tourist bars or high density places idiots like the ignorant Islamist bombers might target. If perchance I ever get taken out by a nutter anywhere, I’ll expire content I lived my life my way and didn’t cower behind a suburban fence worrying about the infintesimal chance I’d be caught up in terror.

• According to the 2010 Census, 83.5% of Bali’s population adhered to Balinese Hinduism, followed by 13.4% Muslim, Christianity at 2.5%, and Buddhism 0.5%.

Note 83.5% Hindu

• Zedd

Ive been to Bali (Kuta beach) too.. luckily no time spent in Hotel K :/

/  April 8, 2017

but the bombings in 2002 and 2005 that killed over 100 westerners were in Bali!You often voice concerns about Islam in the West,and yet are happy to be surrounded by …muslims!Big contradiction.Around 2% of the population is ..Hindi.

• Not in Bali!! Nearly 84% Hindu. You hardly see Islamic dress and I can assure you that after the bombings, newcomers are given more than the once over, and I doubt that they could carry off what happened back then. Big trucks on the other hand………..

• Missy

/  April 9, 2017

“Big trucks on the other hand………..”

The new weapon of choice for terrorists.

2307
    Aljaz tv. A US coaltion airstrike has killed 13 civilians in Rafah.

• Nelly Smickers

/  April 8, 2017

A confession from Britain that *Palestine* existed long before Israel was imposed on the Middle East…..

/  April 9, 2017

0019
    Aljazeera tv showing part 4 of the repeat of their series In Search of Putin’s Russia, this episode showing the overt & covert political interference & harrassment filmmakers who try to show Russia’s past or present in ways not favoured by the Putin Government experience.

Fortunately Aljazeera is not prevented from showing documentaries or commentaries giving unfavourable news or perspectives of Russia in the way that Bj’s Russian-financed propaganda tv channel Al Jezaria is.