Good Friday

Good Friday is one of the most important religious days of the year for Christians around the world.

Good Friday is a Christian holiday commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary. It is observed during Holy Week as part of the Paschal Triduum on the Friday preceding Easter Sunday, and may coincide with the Jewish observance of Passover. It is also known as Holy Friday, Great Friday, Black Friday, or Easter Friday, though the last term properly refers to the Friday in Easter week.

In my ignorance I started by heading this post ‘Easter Friday’ but fortunately discovered my error.

The date of the holiday on the Gregorian calendar varies from one year to the next, and there is disagreement about its calculation. It is a widely instituted legal holiday in many national governments around the world, including in most Western countries (especially among Anglican and Catholic nations) as well as in 12 U.S. states.

240px-wc3bcger_kreuzigung

No matter how religious you are or aren’t this historical event has had a huge impact on our society over two millennia.

Good Friday is a public holiday in New Zealand and it is one of the most active days for churches, but is the most shut down day of the year commercially with it being illegal for most businesses to be open. This remains contentious with garden shops in particular flouting the law.

However you do your Good Friday have a good one.

For me it will be a quiet family day, but I will do a bit of positing at Your NZ too.

1. Brown

/  April 14, 2017

The continuing holiday at Easter is a socialist constuct so unionists can have family time away from t’ mill. Churches don’t seem fussed about it as those who believe do so 24-7 and would celebrate this event anyway. I’m not sure what Easter will be called when Easter gets banned as a term because it is offensive to atheists and Muslims. You could have a competition Pete. I’ll pick Ramadan.

• There is no indication that the term ‘Easter’ is under any threat in New Zealand.

The concept and history of Easter most under threat from commercial interests.

And health – how ridiculous is this?

1 kg of chocolate is getting obscene.

• Trumpenreich

/  April 14, 2017

“There is no indication that the term ‘Easter’ is under any threat in New Zealand.”

That’s because NZ hasn’t reached mohammadan critical mass yet, the Globalists are working hard at it though aren’t they?

[Unless you can define what you mean by ‘Globalists’, and substantiate your claims, and unless you desist from mass blaming here, then I’m not going to let your comments through. deleted the rest of the comment. PG]

/  April 14, 2017

Just cranked the oven up to grill-toast some Hot Cross buns, whipped the pack out of the Fridge, & discovered my *New World Brioche Hot Cross Bun 8 Pack* contains 6 buns❗️😡

Who ate two already, G?

/  April 14, 2017

No one at this location Alan. The seal was red sticky tape that had to be cut. Rude email sent.

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 14, 2017

But they were in a see through bag right?

/  April 14, 2017

I think I know where you might be going with this but I was in a hurry & after doing a rapid visual scan of the wide variety of free market choices like chocolate, lemon, sultana, classic in the racks placed enticingly in the atrium just outside the main entrance doors to the cafeteria & fruit & veg department, I just quickly grabbed a pack as soon as I saw a french word & chucked them in a trolley. They’ve never lied to me before, AC.

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 14, 2017

And the label says “BUN SULTANA BRIOCHE HOT X 6”?

/  April 14, 2017

I looked at the buns, not the label, AC. I wasn’t going to eat the label.

/  April 15, 2017

Canola supply replenished @ NW today. Closer inspection of the label revealed it was actually a 6, but the gap at the bottom of the top loop is so tiny, it looked like an 8. Apologetic email sent.

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 14, 2017

I just had one of those, what a salty abomination it was. The rest of the packet is going to the birds.

/  April 14, 2017

I’ve outscored you on this one, G. Went into our local bakery on the way to walk the dogs and got given a present of half a dozen handmade freshly baked delicious HCBs – a reward for being such a decent bloke despite the evil slanders the loony Left throw at me, and possibly also for getting my wife totally addicted to fresh croissants from said baker.

• Bakery open today?

I guess they have to provide if anyone goes in asking give us this day our daily bread.

/  April 14, 2017

Tourist town, PG. Everything is open. Main street full of cars and people.

Luckily our council has a good Mayor who was onto the new Easter Trading legislation and consulted with the communities and acted promptly to implement the options appropriately.

• Brown

/  April 14, 2017

Wife was on church morning tea and I picked up my 3 doz pre ordered HCB’s from a great bakery this morning in Fairfield Lower Hutt. Open 9 – 2 and good on them. Vastly better than supermarket offerings.

/  April 14, 2017

I don’t mind you outscoring me on this one, Al. Doesn’t happen very often.

2. Anonymous Coward

/  April 14, 2017

The contention with garden shops is over easter sunday, which is not a public holiday but shops must stay closed. This is now a local council issue.
    All 3 Wairarapa councils recently allowed trading on easter sunday. I’m quite keen to pop out and see what happens, as Masterton is all closed on Sundays, and not many people were keen to change it. As someone said at the time ” Why would shops open on easter sunday when they’re closed for the other 51?”

/  April 14, 2017

“The continuing holiday at Easter is a socialist construct”

Jesus was a socialist imo

• Most historians, including Biblical scholars, agree that Easter was originally a pagan festival. According to the New Unger’s Bible Dictionary says: “The word Easter is of Saxon origin, Eastra, the goddess of spring, in whose honour sacrifices were offered about Passover time each year. By the eighth century Anglo–Saxons had adopted the name to designate the celebration of Christ’s resurrection.” However, even among those who maintain that Easter has pagan roots, there is some disagreement over which pagan tradition the festival emerged from.

/  April 14, 2017

The Greatest Story Ever Sold.

Who’s got in for The Bible 😡

• Anonymous Coward

Muslims?

• Rationalists? Humanists? Spiritual people and believers in Jesus Christ who aren’t Church religionists? … Heaps of ordinary people …?

/  April 14, 2017

Looks like only one of them so far, PZ. Might be a rival publisher.

/  April 14, 2017

Early Christianity had a habit of building their churches over pagan sites of power and worship. However, as you point out, the historical facts are uncertain.

• Many of the historical facts of paganism and Christianity and most religions are uncertain.

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 14, 2017

Some pagan worship stones still exist inside old churches in England, that Pagan and Druid sites were ‘christianised’ is neither uncertain or disputed.

4. Corky

/  April 14, 2017

The crucifixion of Christ….the mainspring on which Christianity depends. Without that Christianity becomes just another religion.

/  April 14, 2017

How do you feel about the suggestion that for everybody else it should be an ordinary working day & that only Christians should have it off on Good Friday?

• “only Christians should have it off on Good Friday”

Isn’t it supposed to be about celebrating someone dying and not about procreating?

/  April 14, 2017

The celebrating is done on Sunday. Today is about remembering how cruel some people can be towards a good bloke who bucks the system.

/  April 14, 2017

Doesn’t worry me either way. I’m not Christian. But the influences of Christianity were here before I was born. And they will be here after I’m gone. Christianity is part of me.

• Brown

/  April 14, 2017

‘How great to be celebrating something Christian and not having to worry about Islam raising its unwanted head. I hope!’

Unless you were in Egypt. In most of the neighbouring Muslim countries Christianity has had to go underground. The religion of peace does not play well with others.

/  April 14, 2017

You got me on that one, Browney.

• Me too … which religion of peace are you refering to? Surely not Christianity …?

A moment of silence for the millions … nay, possibly billions … ?

5. Nelly Smickers

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 14, 2017

Just like the J-man I’m going out tonight and I don’t plan to get back home until Sunday.

6. Nelly Smickers

/  April 14, 2017

Here’s a little trick for all you *HOT X BUN* lovers….I find these days that some buns are often not as spicy as I like, so try this:

1. Before toasting under the grill, give them 20sec in the microwave to soften the centre
    2. Cut in half and sprinkle over a little *Masterfoods Chinese Five Spice*
    3. Toast both sides lightly under the grill, take them out and *pile on the butter*.
    4. Put them back under the grill for a few more seconds until the butter melts everywhere.

(NB: It is important that you use the *Masterfoods* brand as that one is predominately Cinnamon & Clove)

ENJOY ❤

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 14, 2017

Chinese 5 spice is an abomination that has no place in any kitchen. (same thing with ‘curry powder’)

What you want is 2 parts Mixed Spice and 1 part Cinnamon.

/  April 14, 2017

I haven’t got enough %/*!*!g canola for the last four buns.

• Nelly Smickers

@ AC/DC

Wayne reckins anyone who doesn’t have a *good hot curry powder* in their kitchen must be gay 😄

/  April 14, 2017

Nellers, are we allowed to eat meat today❓😳 I can’t remember where the hell we got to with that one.

• Only blood and body today?

• Nelly Smickers

/  April 14, 2017

Since the *Big Mac* came into being, the only days we observe Canon Law are *Ash Wednesday* and *Good Friday*.

Keep the faith G…..fish today ❤

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 14, 2017

AC/DC says “Any man who can’t roast and grind his own curry powder is no sort of a man”.

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 14, 2017

Also men that call other men gay tend to have a secret.

Extra Virgin olive oil will do in a crisis. Canola’s nicer tho. 👍

• Why is 5 spices bad but mixed spices good?

Greegs mixed spice: coriander seed, cassia, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and cloves

7. Peter Rollins: Questions around Christianity

– Pete Rollins is a writer, public speaker, philosopher and theologian who has gained an international reputation for overturning traditional notions of religion.

• Brown

/  April 14, 2017

Not much Christianity without Christ. He’s just another Geering in a very long line of Geerings.

• Not much Christianity without observing Christ’s messages … which we of Secular-Western-Christendom generally don’t do …

/  April 14, 2017

Forgot to read that earlier.
      Mustapha Shufti.

/  April 14, 2017

Crikey ! I understood all of that but I dunno what he’s on about.

8. Zedd

/  April 14, 2017

Damn it… Friday is my weekly shopping day.. BUT PakNSave is closed. No beers in the fridge either !

SO.. whats so ‘good’ about it ?

btw; ‘Easter’ is the pagan spring fertility festival of ‘Ishtar’.. nothing to do with; JC or christianity 😀

/  April 14, 2017

Come to Russell, Zedd. Leave the bureaucratic paradise of Welly whose council can’t organise the way to the toilet.

• Pete Kane

/  April 14, 2017

The danger is trying to find the way out Alan. Hope the weather has calmed.

• Zedd

‘Welly’s’ go on my feet (in Sth Dn).. Alan 😀

/  April 14, 2017

Sorry, misplaced you, Zedd. Forgot you needed webbed feet in the floods down there.

9. Easter has nothing to do with Jesus – it’s a pagan holiday celebrating the fertility goddess Ishtar. They sacrificed babies and dyed eggs in their blood…just like Christmas….it’s a pagan god’s birthday…has nothing to do with Jesus…they were brought in by the Roman Catholic Church…would love for preachers to start preaching truth.

• Nelly Smickers

/  April 15, 2017

There was a *Tanya Marie* in my 5th form Dorm at St Mary’s……what was your maiden name ❓

• MaureenW

/  April 15, 2017

Preachers and truth – there’s an oxymoron. What to do with religious holidays which have grotesque commercialism as the remaining remnant of their intended meaning?
      I must say I haven’t noticed and religious symbolism this year (not that I’d be looking for it) just chocolate.

10. patupaiarehe

/  April 15, 2017

Funny how society has evolved. I remember having the whole ‘egg thing’, explained to me at primary school, and what the egg was supposed to represent, as well as those fruity buns, with a cross on top.
    Nowadays, for the kids its all about stuffing their faces with chocolate on Sunday. And for the adults, it means a four day weekend, and having to plan ahead, so they don’t run out of booze….