Media bias – NZ

This is an attempt at a New Zealand chart on media bias that needs some work:

65pdeiz

This has been updated, see below.

As feedback has been saying, Kiwiblog on the left is odd, and more odd is it’s proximity to The Standard and The Daily Blog which should be quite a bit further left and down.

Also noted is the omission of Whale Oil, this is either a mistake, ignorant one of the most prominent New Zealand blogs, or petty.

There is a promise to revise this, but there doesn’t seem much science going into it.

I’ll add an update when it’s available.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/newzealand/comments/65djms/made_a_nz_media_bias_graph_o/

This is taking a different angle, measuring the political leanings of journalists – Liam Hehir wrote:

A 2014 Massey University study, for example, showed that 22 percent of New Zealand journalists considered themselves Centrists. Just 16 percent said they were on the Right and fully 62 percent said they were on the Left.

David Farrar commented on this in NZ journalists lean left:

The study was published in ejournalist.com.au.

So around three times as many journalists identify as centre-left than centre-right.

52% of the population voted for a centre-right party, yet only 16% of journalists consider themselves centre-right.

There’s a number of comments following that on Kiwiblog.

UPDATED: Media bias NZ – updated

Previous Post
Next Post

1. Kevin

/  April 15, 2017

Leaving out kiwiblog (which in reality is centre-right) move the whole thing hard left and it’d be about correct.

2. patupaiarehe

/  April 15, 2017

So they are all pretty close to the ‘centre’. Who’d have thought….

3. David

/  April 15, 2017

Isn’t RNZ known as Red Radio?

4. Corky

/  April 15, 2017

Add centralist to the left column and we get a better perspective.

So Lefty journalists have the honesty to state they lean left for the survey, yet they will never admit to such bias in articles they write.

/  April 15, 2017

David Garrett’s comment on Kiwiblog is interesting. Don’t think I should link to it.

/  April 15, 2017

So are Matty Hootens.

/  April 16, 2017

I quite like Hoots. They used to rip into him on The Standard. I could never quite understand why. I can with PG. 😀

Do you call Hooton Hooten because you don’t like him Corky?

• It’s common for his name to be spelt incorrectly. Like Hagir’s.

The troops at The Standard rip into anyone who they deem to be from the right (95% of new Zealand is to the right of most of the regulars there).

I started blog commenting at Kiwiblog and i was generally dissed as a leftie. But when I tried at The Standard someone knew I had been on Kiwiblog so labelled me a RWNJ, and once condemned, always condemned.

/  April 16, 2017

They’re a puzzle. They always used to ask for better wingnuts when I was a regular visitor. Dunno if they still do.

• They rarely tolerate anyone deemed an enemy of the people. Wayne Mapp is a rare exception.

• Hooton and Farrar are both very experienced and astute political commentators who have some very good insights into what is happening.

They are far more useful (and less biased) than just about everyone who authors at The Standard and The Daily Blog.

/  April 16, 2017

I think I’ll always be a fan of Bomber Pete. 😬 😀

• He’s interesting, and amusing, and worth keeping an eye on, but I wouldn’t call myself a fan.

And that’s reciprocated. The first and only time I have ‘met’ him he chaired a panel discussion I was on (also Julie Anne Genter) and he ignored me completely. But he has had the occasional grump at me since.

/  April 16, 2017

Any chance of an Open Forum today Pete? 😳

• Every chance now it’s absence has been pointed out and I’ve fixed PM to AM fixing a rush job from last night.

/  April 16, 2017

👌

• Conspiratoor

/  April 16, 2017

In much the same way I’ve always been a fan of Redbaiter G. In the lexicon of the left the ‘lowest of the low’

• Kevin

/  April 16, 2017

The biggest mistake Prentice ever made was banning Mathew Hooten. And it was all done out of vindictiveness.

• Vindictiveness has been the primary reason for preventing The Standard from becoming a great forum. When the boss promotes and protects vindictiveness it festers away and drives decent discussion away.

/  April 16, 2017

No, I just love the way you have of being nasty down to an inoffensive art form, Gezza. It makes my efforts look so ham fisted.

/  April 15, 2017

As a scientist I would ask what is the basis for normalising and centring these assessments. Without that they are simply relative to the position of the author.

• duperez

/  April 15, 2017

Some might say if it doesn’t include the stats for the number of penalties and number of tackles, it’s all bullshit. Some others might opine that it’s just bullshit anyway. Evidence for such a conclusion? The patently nonsensical placement of Kiwiblog. Farrar does his own summary to tell us how unbiased he is. It always has the ring of the little boy with chocolate all around his mouth denying to his mother that he has eaten the missing chunk of chocolate cake.

7. Brown

/  April 16, 2017

The old left and right is no longer a measure that makes sense. Everything on that list is progressive and nothing is conservative. There may be the odd individual within the groups that has conservative elements but they only hang on because ratings cannot be denied. Farrar is clearly a progressive so in my book is a “leftie” as is the party he works for.

8. I have added an updated chart in a new post: Media bias NZ – updated

9. Blazer

/  April 16, 2017

the race to the centre is the major cause of demise for political and commercial,….organisations.A good example in NZ is the Warehouse,known for cheap products,it tried to broaden its appeal and has now become burdened with a general array of goods and no defining niche.In NZ politics both National and Labour compete for the ‘middle’.Dislodging the incumbent is difficult if the economy is performing or stable.Niche ‘products’ like the Greens or Conservative parties are natural co-alition parties and looked upon as a home for the disgruntled.The more fragmentation ,the more likely that in time the major parties form alliances.