Clinton blames everything else and herself

Hillary Clinton, in a public interview with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour at the Women for Women International summit in New York, took “absolute personal responsibility” for her loss in last year’s election and admits making mistakes, but still blames her loss on the unprecedented intervention of FBI head James Comey.

“I take absolute personal responsibility. I was the candidate, I was the person who was on the ballot. I am very aware of the challenges, the problems, the shortfalls that we had”.

“Did I make mistakes, oh my god, yes, you will read my confessions, my request for absolution. But the reason I believe we lost were the intervening events in the last 10 days.”

“If the election had been on October 27, I would be your president”.

“I was on the way to winning until a combination of (FBI Director) Jim Comey’s letter on October 28 and Russian WikiLeaks raised doubts in the minds of people who were inclined to vote for me and got scared off”.

“”The evidence for that intervening event is, I think, compelling, persuasive, and so we overcame a lot in the campaign”.

Comey’s letter did impact significantly on the campaign and may well have swung it against Clinton, but that’s history – and it’s history that wouldn’t have happened if Clinton wasn’t such a flawed candidate with too much political baggage who ran a poor campaign.

Clinton also said she believed misogyny played a role in her defeat. It may have done but I don’t think that’s a major factor – balanced against that was repulsion at the revelations about Trump’s attitude to women.

Clinton also had a dig in advance at Trump.

“If he wants to tweet about me, then I am happy to be the diversion because we have a lot of things to worry about”.

“He should worry less about the election and my winning the popular vote than doing some other things that would be important for the country.”

She suggested that if Trump launched a fusillade on Twitter, it would be “better than interfering in foreign affairs.”

She will have known that this will have annoyed Trump, and inevitably he responded via Twitter:

FBI Director Comey was the best thing that ever happened to Hillary Clinton in that he gave her a free pass for many bad deeds!

The phony Trump/Russia story was an excuse used by the Democrats as justification for losing the election. Perhaps Trump just ran a great campaign?

In some ways Trump’s campaign was great, it worked where it mattered most, but it was in other ways an awful campaign for an awful candidate.

As Stephen Collinson at CNN says: Clinton, Trump can’t stop airing their 2016 grievances

In a stunning interview Tuesday, Clinton, the former Democratic nominee, vented her still raw emotions and blazing bitterness over her defeat by Trump — pointing to Russia and FBI Chief James Comey as the key drivers of her loss.

Trump, for his part, rarely lets more than a few days go by without boasting about his outsider win. Then, remarkably for a victor, he disputes the result — claiming without evidence that millions of illegal voters handed Clinton a popular vote triumph.

The prospect of regurgitating the most bitter election on record must horrify Americans who were forced to live through it for roughly two years.

But given Clinton’s public anger over her loss and Trump’s unwillingness to move on, a long-range rhetorical rematch is inevitable, especially since Clinton has a book coming in the fall.

The President is extraordinarily touchy about the merest suggestion that his victory is not totally authentic. Clinton has now given her supporters, many of whom believe she was cheated out of breaking the highest, hardest glass ceiling in politics, even more reasons to view Trump as illegitimate.

And the President is unlikely to take a pass at Clinton’s unflattering description of his performance, including her renewal of her claim that he was unprepared for office.

As his tweets show he didn’t take a pass, but it’s sad that Clinton has let her bitterness boil over so publicly.

It’s rather ironic that a clash over one of the most powerful and important jobs in the world continues to be so petty and childish.

Both Clinton and Trump continue to remind the world how bad US democracy has become.

1. Brown

/  May 4, 2017

Weasel words. Clinton believes she was cut out of what was rightfully hers. She will be the world’s angriest woman at the moment and has no place in charge of anything where her toxic personality can vent itself on those she perceives as disapproving of her. An awful, awful woman.

• Her opponent’s not exactly the nicest person in the world either Brown. Americans had to cjoose between two deeply flawed individuals & because of how their system works a minority of their voters chose the loudest, least predictable, most uninformed, equally nasty, best at bullshitting one.

/  May 4, 2017

She said she’s joining the resistance. Nasty to the end. That’s what I admire about liberals, they may be down….but they are still squirming. And that’s the thing about Americans. When it comes to the crunch they get very nasty.

Kevin Barry learnt that when he first went to the States with David Tua while under the auspices of legendary trainer and promoter, Lou Duva. Barry said when things were going well, they went very well. However, things could turn on a dime, and Duva could become a very demanding individual. When it comes to money and politics, Yanks don’t fuck around.

/  May 4, 2017

if you regard Clinton as a ‘liberal’…you really have …no idea.Your Duva anecdote lacks..’calories’ to quote another poster.

/  May 4, 2017

What would you know about boxing…from your previous posts, nothing. I don’t usually do this but I’m down ticking you for bring a ‘sweet science’ fraud.

2. Missy

/  May 4, 2017

There is a great quote from The West Wing on US democracy said by President Bartlett:

“In all the talk about democracy, we forget it’s not a democracy. It’s a republic. People don’t make the decisions, they choose the people who make the decisions.”

3. Missy

/  May 4, 2017

You forgot to add Misogyny to the list of what she is blaming for her loss.

“Hillary Clinton has said she believes misogyny, Russian interference and questionable decisions by the FBI all caused her to lose the 2016 presidential election.”

/  May 4, 2017

I don’t think misogyny was really much of a factor, though I’m sure she’ll bash that line, which won’t really resonate with most thinking Americans. The other two you mention were certainly factors, imo. One thing’s for sure, with Clinton setting out the battle lines & joining in on the endless attacks, & Trump’s pugnacious personality, the next four years in the US’s governance system are almost certain to be particularly nasty, disruptive, & vicious, *like you’ve never seen* – to paraphrase their President.

• Missy

/  May 4, 2017

I agree, I don’t think misogyny was a factor at all, but there are a certain group of ‘feminists’ who like to think anything that doesn’t put women in power – or somehow criticises women – is misogynistic, and Clinton has definitely bought into that viewpoint, it shows a lack of self awareness.

4. Pete Kane

Another NBC take.

5. Missy

/  May 4, 2017

Here is another take on why Hilary lost.

This is quite pertinent in my opinion:

“Her comments about not reaching voters because of an as-of-yet un-fact-checked claim that there are miles and miles without cellular or Internet services were as tone deaf as labeling the Trump supporters “deplorables.” It’s as if she were suggesting that people in that area only communicated by firing shotgun blasts into the sky. Her husband knew these voters were worth talking to, but the data-obsessed Rain Man in charge of her campaign, Robby Mook, felt otherwise. That’s why he’s now counting cards in Vegas and not sitting in the White House crunching more data.

Trump more than tripled his campaign stops in the final months, including Wisconsin, and in this election, people voted for who showed up, not necessarily whom they loved.”

That last bit is important, and something some in politics need to look at, sometimes it is not always about who is loved, but who turns up.

6. MaureenW

/  May 4, 2017

Hillary Clinton is still blaming everyone but herself, even though she says she “takes responsibility” for her failure.
    Clinton is making a lot of noise around the place to deflect from potentially being charged with espionage – classified emails from her unprotected server were found on Weiner’s laptop, while Weiner himself was under FBI Investigation. It’s unthinkable to believe that the former US Secretary of State could have been this stupid and that there was not something more sinister at play.

• Brown

/  May 4, 2017

I’d almost like to think there was something more sinister at play because the alternative is that she is really stupid, stupid to a point that defies imagination. A crook I can deal with because they are predictable and you can put things in place to limit the behaviour but the stupid are hard work.

7. The Liberals avoided taking seriously the very topics many middle Americans cared about. Clinton failed to fully identify and campaign in the electorates that nailed it for Trump. As a whole the US left failed to engage in any meaningful manner on the following:

#Immigration/Crime/Extremism
    #Globalisation – particularly as it pertained to US jobs for US residents
    #The perception of the erosion of Free Speech. The perception that rights and privileges of the First Amendment only extended to Liberals and their causes. The perception that academia/Press and the Washington beltway framed everything according to their needs and beliefs.

/  May 4, 2017

I think you’re right. And I also think as a political force or some kind of high profile nemesis of Trump she ain’t nothin for him to worry about no more. She’s washed up. A spent force. A has been. No credibility. Done & dusted.

• Anonymous Coward

/  May 4, 2017

“The perception that rights and privileges of the First Amendment only extended to Liberals and their causes”.

I think the reason you get that impression is only that the “liberals” are able to organise themselves into protests while the “alt right” or whatever seem to be hunched over seperate keyboards writing ‘snowflake’ rather than getting organised.

/  May 4, 2017

I think the problem is that the liberals seem to have gone into protest overload AC. They come across now, whenever somebody organises a march or whatever about any issue, as a magnet for everybody with any kind of objection to anything to turn up to protest about absolutely everything.

• Anonymous Coward

/  May 4, 2017

If you didn’t label label ALL protests as “liberal” you wouldn’t have this problem.
          We’ve had women, students and scientists thus far, are they three individual groups or the bogeyman “liberals”?. If you answered ‘liberals’ go and type snowflake in 30 different comment sections.

/  May 4, 2017

True. But it’s become a gut reaction whenever I see prams & celebrities in the mix. Bite me.

• Anonymous Coward

/  May 4, 2017

Speaking of ‘celebrities’, do you think if National were more supportive of the arts then they’d be able to get local musicians to write their music for them?
            I’d stop them getting all those cease and desist letters.
            I can’t think of any musician I know saying yes to them.

/  May 4, 2017

I’ve go about 50 different instrumental pieces in the sequencer that were worth keeping. They could make me an offer, but it would have to be worth my while, & I’ll happily sell something to Labour & the Greens as well. I don’t have enough dark, ominous, scary stuff to pitch to NZ First.

• Anonymous Coward

/  May 4, 2017

Sequencer? Do you keep that next to your fax machine?

/  May 4, 2017

No I’ve just kept the keyboard & it’s inbuilt. Everything’s on disk. It was easier than working with a band to just be my own. That way I could put every instrument, strings, brass sections or whatever I wanted into the keyboard & just add vocals & maybe lead or rhythm when playing live. I watched a guy performing solo who’d done do this 15 years ago & I thought, that’s a helluva lot less hassle than telling someone in an originals band you don’t like what they’re doing with your song.

• Anonymous Coward

/  May 4, 2017

I use Logic Pro. I’ve been doing backing tracks the last week but instead of general midi sounds it’s recordings of me playing the bass and stuff. It’s very organic.
              The few times I used sequencers was years ago, one in an Emulator and on in an ASR10, which are both keyboard samplers. I hated working with the tiny screens a bar at a time, don’t miss them, or Roland Sound Canvas.

/  May 4, 2017

Actually, it was more like 20 years ago now. I’ll admit it had its frustrations, but I liked playing around jamming with different instruments & rhythms – I got much different ideas for melodies, progressins etc when I started out with something other than a guitar. The hardest thing was figuring out how to play the keys for the different sounds. If I wanted a reasonably realistic sax or trumpet, say, I couldn’t just play the keys the same way you do when you’ve chosen a piano type. There are much wider, better sounding options now, I agree, but my kept pieces still sound nice. Any that didn’t pass muster got dumped, & that was most of what I did. It was my way of relaxing – spent hours at it every week.

• Anonymous Coward

/  May 4, 2017

For sax and flute and trumpet, if you’re lucky, you can use a breath controller which shapes the notes using your breath. It’s mostly a Yamaha thing, rarer on other brands.

/  May 4, 2017

But getting back to the Democrats, they’ve got four years to find a Messiah. I’m not seeing one in the offing at the moment.

• Anonymous Coward

/  May 4, 2017

They should have gone with Bernie maybe.

/  May 4, 2017

Yeah, I’ve thought about that since Clinton lost, but tbh I don’t think he’d have won. Too many forces aligned against him, & he’s probably just too old. He did ok preaching to the Democratic base but, even with his pitch to students I don’t think he’d have swung middle America. What’s the point of more people having a degree if they can’t get a well-paid job? I think that’s one area where Trump undercut his pitch.

• MaureenW

/  May 4, 2017

…”Too many forces aligned against him…” Like the DNC Party who cheated Bernie out of a fair chance of the Democrat Nomination

8. If you want to hear some extremely worrying things about Hilary and her links with really unsavoury things, that seem to have been established, and will become very significant if the allegations can be established completely have a review of the following ongoing series of reports by a separate investigation into Hilary, Huma, Huma’s husband and others related to Pakistani Intelligence service and drug cartels, complete with apparent evidence of FBI coverups and the stench of pedophilia!
    See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=357OdU0aICc.

/  May 5, 2017

Think I’ll wait till there are more debunking sites yo aleo check out, Bj. Otherwise I’ll wait for the movie.

/  May 5, 2017

😡🙄 *to also*. Sorry, little finger typing while eating not the best idea.

• Pardon “Yo aleo?” Your decision but if it is only 25% correct it would make me think about he difference between being naive and believing in conspiracy theories. The truth will set us free? Have you looked at it?

/  May 5, 2017

Yo aleo was an unfortunate double typographical error, corrected above. No I haven’t looked at it yet. I did see some pretty wild stuff about pedophiles floating around during the latter stages of the election campaign for which the supposed evidence looked as dodgy & stupid as heck. I still think it best to wait & see if anything becomes, as you say, “very significant if the allegations can be established completely” – because then I’d only need to look at maybe 25% of it, and then look up compare any contestable argument about those claims. I’ve found this approach has generally worked well for me with other similar allegations of skullduggery.

9. Gezza, I understand. However it is much more than a continuation of the “sex island” claims. It actually shows how the Blackberrys used by Hilary, Huma and her Husband and other State Department were synchronised (12 to 17 sets alleger) by use of a Blackberry router that ccpied all correspondence to the group when synchronised. There is a large group of followers of the site who are bit by bit piecing what actually happened, including former Marines, Journalists and Senior NYPD officers. They are in touch with Jeff Sessions (Attorney General) and use official information sources to link the puzzle pieces together . The single video I referred to summarises progress at 193 days of research, and more is to come.

1. Clinton blames everything else and herself – NZ Conservative Coalition