Kathy Griffin way over the line

As has been discussed here yesterday, the photo of Kathy Griffin with a bloodied Trump mask was way over the line of decency and acceptability.

President Donald Trump:

Yes, it was a shameful thing for Griffiths to do.

First Lady Melania Trump:

I agree that it was a disturbing photo, but questioning the mental health of Griffiths is going too far. It was certainly a stupid thing to do, but it may be no more than poorly considered attention seeking.

Of course Griffin had the right of free speech and expression, but that doesn’t rule out consequences.

An over reaction, or fair enough?

1. Missy

/  June 1, 2017

“…. but questioning the mental health of Griffiths is going too far.”

Why?

Donald Trump’s mental health has been questioned for less, why shouldn’t the First Lady question the mental health of a person who did a photo shoot of herself with a mocked up severed head of her husband? When we live in a world where a group of fanatics are beheading people who don’t agree with them it takes someone pretty vile to do a mock beheading of someone they don’t agree with, questioning her mental health is a mild reaction in my opinion.

The only person who went too far here was Kathy Griffin, not Melania Trump.

I like how when you are seemingly criticising critics of Trump’s you still manage to make Donald and Melania Trump sound worse.

“An over reaction, or fair enough?”

Why are you even asking this? It is fair enough, the fact that you are asking this makes me wonder if you think CNN were over reacting.

• I was asking others to give their view, I had already made it clear I thought it was way over the line, shameful and stupid.

I agreed with Donald’s assessment of ” “should be ashamed of herself”.

I largely agreed with Melania’s statement that it was disturbing.

I think you may be overreacting and misinterpreting what I’ve posted.

I think it’s fair to question whether CNN dumping Griffin completely is fair or an over reaction. If everyone who is used be media were dumped when they did something stupid, or something someone else was offended by, there would be few left.

Griffin was free to free and express herself. She has suffered consequences, fair enough. But CNN are cutting her opportunity to speak through them in the future – something they can choose to do, but that also could be seen as a restriction on free speech and diversity of opinion.

I’m not sure what a right and fair consequence is, that’s why I asked the question.

Perhaps you could respond to that rather than read too much into what I have posted.

• “CNN are cutting her opportunity to speak through them in the future”

You make it sound as though this woman has a divine right to speak through CNN. She hasn’t. It is nonsense to claim that their action is a “restriction on free speech and diversity of opinion”. It was a sound commercial decision to get rid of a smug, strutting idiot who seems likely to do them harm. There is no loss of opportunity; if she removes “smug, strutting idiot” from her CV she may have another chance.

I don’t think Missy was, in any way, “overreacting and misinterpreting” what you posted. I share the disgust of her and many others over this woman’s appalling exhibition. She seems to have crawled so far up her own self-important backside in pursuit of her own self-importance that she has lost all contact with the mores and sensibilities of normal humanity. Brainwashed 7th Century savages with IQs in the 70s may admire this sort of thing, but civilised people don’t. It neither amuses nor questions.

In the days before Free Speech was banned in Britain there was a Speaker’s Corner in Hyde Park, where anyone could stand on a soap box and say whatever they liked without fear of arrest for a ‘hate crime’. If it was worthwhile, folk would stand and listen; if not, they would walk away. If it was really vile, someone might beat them up. That is how the real Free World works.

To claim that this gross display of infantile spite has any connection with Free Speech, or Art, is an insult to those who struggle and die every day in pursuit of those things outside the Safe Space cocoon of the Liberal West.

/  June 1, 2017

I notice that supporters of free speech and expression often seem to regard themselves as the arbiters of what should be permitted in these fields.

An American university lecturer claimed that she felt violated knowing that a reproduction of The Naked Maja was on a wall in an art lecture room.

The best thing to do with something like this photo is-ignore it. Let it fall flat Nothing makes someone who’s trying hard to shock feel sillier than the realisation that nobody IS shocked. Remember when the National Front had a stall at some (?) and nobody took any notice, they just walked past ?

/  June 1, 2017

Melania Trump made it sound as if the photo was a wife, mother and human being. She should have said that ‘as a….., I think that the photo was (etc)

• Conspiratoor

/  June 1, 2017

“I like how when you are seemingly criticising critics of Trump’s you still manage to make Donald and Melania Trump sound worse”

Missy, I could not have put it better. Well said. Cheers,c

• So some people are over-sensitive to perceptions of criticism of Trump.

I don’t think there was good cause to suggest Griffin was suffering from mental problems, but criticism of that was mild compared to deserved criticism of Griffin.

It seems odd how averse to any criticism of Trump some people are given how over the top his criticisms of others have been. Didn’t he call Hillary Clinton a criminal again today? Then whined about a witch hunt against him. Double standards like that severely affect his credibility.

• Conspiratoor

/  June 1, 2017

You seem oblivious to the irony and miss the point entirely. Criticism of trump is justified, he is a deeply flawed character. But when the criticism becomes obsessive your own credibility takes a hit

• Just as well I don’t do obsessive then.

• Conspiratoor

Yes, my comment was directed at G 😉

/  June 1, 2017

While I’m not ready to start covfefeing for him yet, I must admit I’m warming to Trumpy again. 💪

2. Reply
    • Griffin’s example is a wake-up call to the hysterical excesses of the coastal liberal and the entitled middle-class Democrats of America. Griffin is no worse than the 60-year-old University lecturer friend of my friend, or the Ivy League Obama staffer who stayed with me in the summer holidays – both of whom wished him very dead. There is nothing new, it’s no new line that’s been crossed, it’s merely a more graphic and public display of a widely held and privately expressed sentiment, that media clearly encourage and fuel with their anti-Trump, anti-democracy obsession.

• Well put. Perhaps, with any luck, this stupid, self-centred woman might have flung the final straw onto the Liberal camel’s back.

3. High Flying Duck

/  June 1, 2017

Asking if a news outlet is being over the top in firing someone for holding up a fairly realistic bloody decapitated head depicting the president – and especially in the deadpan blank eyed way she did it – is a little strange PG.
    Firing KG was the ONLY appropriate reaction from that type of organisation.
    People from all sides of the political spectrum have condemned this in the strongest terms as they should.
    It is far enough ‘over the line’ that questioning the mental state of the person who did it is a very reasonable question to ask in my opinion.
    You are right that she had the freedom to do it, but the fact she did suggests she may have issues.

/  June 1, 2017

Well, it’s not over the top. It’s pretty much what I personally expected would happen, PG. As probably by now hundreds have said, what would the reaction have been if it had been Barack Obama’s or Hillary Clinton’s head she held up? Google ISIS beheadings, images, & you can instantly see what’s wrong about it.

• Brown

/  June 1, 2017

The point is that no-one ever held up imitations of Clinton’s or Obama’s heads. This is childish – like living out Southpark or something.

/  June 1, 2017

ISIS will soon be claiming responsibility I expect.

Someone should tell them she’s got the chop.

6. duperez

/  June 1, 2017

My observations are not to agree or disagree with any of the aspects and the politics of them but to observe that it is a weird world and the USA is the place of Ripley’s Believe It or Not.

Griffin’s ‘crime’ will get great coverage and she will be slaughtered (metaphorically) for her action. I’d never heard of her and apparently she’s just a person on TV, an irrelevant commentator.

Meanwhile the President of the United States seems to be turning back all the stuff to do with consideration of something called ‘climate change.’

Now let’s see, what is a more important issue to deal with? Should there be consequences for Griffin? Of course. In the other scenario who are the consequences for?

I wonder if as a mother, a wife, and a human being, Melania Trump finds that disturbing and wonders about the mental health of a person who so easily dismisses something seen as so significant by people all over the planet.

Kathy Griffin has grabbed the modern media moment not considering the atrocities happening in the world today. And tonight Melania will go to bed, put there by the gun lobby, with the Top Man in a country which has 16 000 murders a year.

• 61 million gun lobbyists huh – aka the Deplorables, or, as Hillary now calls them, the underinformed

• duperez

/  June 1, 2017

One fanatic not voting makes a mathematical difference. One fanatic votes the other way makes double the difference whether they’re lobbyists, Deplorables or underinformed. 61 million didn’t have to change their minds.

7. grantaviuskennarius

/  June 1, 2017

Why is nobody calling out Ms Griffin for her major cultural appropriation?

8. Conspiratoor

/  June 1, 2017

As usual the greatest political predictor in the history of the world distills the issues into black and white. Well worth a read…

“I have been telling you since before the inauguration that the country was going to split into two movies on one screen. Some of us are watching a new president do his best to make America great. But half the country is watching a disaster movie in which we unknowingly elected a Hitler-monster to destroy civilization. The Kathy Griffin situation illustrates the two-movie idea perfectly

You and I get to live in the movies in our heads until your script and mine come into conflict. That’s what happened with the Griffin photo”

• PDB

/  June 1, 2017

I think there is a third group (that I sit in) that looks on one side at the travesty that is Trump and on the other side the hysteria & exaggeration of the left wing with equal bemusement.

/  June 1, 2017

Well, don’t forget there’s also another Bourne series movie under current production by George Webb & Jason Goldman. It’s a ripper. It’s got everything. Murders, DNC pizza & Pedo ring, Car theft ring, Drugs, MS13 hit squads, crooked ex-FBI agents, Blackmail of Members of Congress, hacking, leaks, Kim Dotcom – no lightweight, Body Parts trafficking, Pakistani Intelligence, Two Mossads … Bj …

• MaureenW

/  June 1, 2017

That’s all very funny Gezza – maybe you missed your calling as a whodunnit writer. Anyway, for your next chapter can you include the 3 (so far) unexplained deaths of people with DNC links – Seth Rich, Beranton Whisenant and Shawn Lucas. (Must say the Clintons do seem to attract people who sully their diamond-quality reputations with their untimely deaths).

/  June 1, 2017

I haven’t got it all stitched together in my head yet Maureen, I agree it all seems pretty suss, but George Webb & Jason Goodman seem to be getting there & now we know from George’s Youtube vid yesterday (or the day before) that he has admitted he is connected to the Old Mossad (& not the New evil expansionist Clinton-ISI-connected Mossad) I figure he must know what he’s doing, so I’m just praying he stays alive & staying tuned to see what other “metadata” he turns up. 👍 🕶

• MaureenW

/  June 1, 2017

Good the AC is proving some tips.
              I do think George Webb is very suspect – maybe he’s found his 15 minutes of fame.
              Following on from what Leighton Smith was talking about this morning, the world’s gone made – the planet has tipped off its axis – but he was only talking about people who marry themselves, or bridges or railway stations

/  June 1, 2017

PS: I’m not writing this story, Maureen – George & Jason are. I couldn’t possibly dream all this stuff up if I was living on magic mushrooms. I’m just trying to process it all mentally & still stay sane somehow.

• Anonymous Coward

/  June 1, 2017

Botched Robbery, Possible Suicide and Drug Overdose.

/  June 1, 2017

Don’t forget George said yesterday or the day before in one of his vids that he’s got a source in The House of Representatives telling him about the missing blackberries & laptops n stuff so I’m assuming he’s a current or former Janitor or bodyguard, or IT expert who’s close to the investigations but not authorised to speak to the media – so his intel’s probably rock solid.

• Anonymous Coward

/  June 1, 2017

Maybe he was selling janitor supplies, that would get him access to whichever janitor he wishes?

• I think that group is closer to how most people probably feel.

• MaureenW

/  June 1, 2017

An interesting perspective. Yes, it is like watching 2 movies on one screen.

/  June 1, 2017

TDS is a mental health issue.