Craig files defamation papers against MacGregor

Good grief!

RNZ:  Colin Craig files papers to sue former press secretary Rachel MacGregor

Colin Craig has filed papers in the High Court in Auckland to sue his former press secretary for defamation.

Mr Craig has confirmed to RNZ the papers have been filed against Rachel MacGregor but said the case would only go ahead if his case against Cameron Slater did not go in his favour.

That case finished last week, with Justice Toogood reserving his decision.

In that case, Mr Craig sued Mr Slater for posts he made on his Whale Oil blog about Mr Craig and his relationship with Ms MacGregor. Mr Slater counter-sued Mr Craig for statements made in a leaflet sent out to 1.6 million households around the country.

Ms MacGregor said she was not aware of the new proceedings until contacted by RNZ.

She said she had not been served with documents, and declined to comment.

Mr Craig said he would not go into details about the case but confirmed it was a defamation proceeding.

As I understand it MacGregor’s evidence in the recent Craig v Slater trial cannot be defamation as it was stated in court. I wasn’t aware MacGregor had said much publicly outside court. My guess is that Human Rights Commission mediation details can’t be used in defamation either.

In the recent case:  Colin Craig threatened to ‘destroy’ Rachel MacGregor, court told

Rachel MacGregor has told a court that Colin Craig threatened her by saying he’d set aside $1 million to “destroy” her.

Craig’s former press secretary claims the threat was made during a Human Rights Commission mediation after she brought a sexual harassment complaint against him.

The sexual harassment complaint had been withdrawn as a result of their settlement agreement, but Henry asked MacGregor whether she had withdrawn the allegations.

“There is no way I have ever withdrawn my allegations,” MacGregor said.

“To this day my allegations stand concrete strong. I withdrew my complaint because I had no longer time or energy to deal with this very weird man. I withdrew the complaint because I couldn’t afford to deal with him any more.”

It looks like Craig is becoming a full time litigant.

New lawsuit one of at least five before the courts

Mr Craig said he has taken what he called a “limited approach” in his defamation cases. So far he has sued Mr Slater and a board member of the Conservative Party, John Stringer.

This is a limited approach?

His case against Ms MacGregor is one of at least five before the courts at present.

Last year the head of the taxpayer’s union, Jordan Williams, sued Colin Craig over comments he made about Mr Williams in a booklet sent to 1.6 million households around New Zealand.

The jury found in Mr Williams’ favour and awarded him $1.27 million in damages – the highest amount ever in a New Zealand defamation case. That was reviewed by the trial judge, Justice Katz, who found it to be excessive. Both parties are appealing.

Mr Craig has also sued John Stringer, a former board member of the Conservative Party. That was settled out of court but Mr Stringer is now bringing another case against Mr Craig.

Mr Craig has also sued Cameron Slater over copyright in the Auckland District Court, after Mr Slater published Mr Craig’s poems on his blog. Mr Craig lost the case. He is also appealing against that decision to the High Court.

Lastly, there is the defamation case against Cameron Slater which concluded last week.

In April Newshub reported a sixth case:  Colin Craig suing again

Former Conservative Party leader Colin Craig is involved in another defamation case.

This time he’s suing a former employee for $240,000.

His claim alleges a defamatory publication was posted by Jacqueline Stiekema on a Facebook page and that she made other defamatory publications to a third person.

It will be heard in the District Court rather than the High Court, according to a recent decision by High Court Associate Judge Roger Bell.

Truthful comment and genuine opinion is fine but please be careful what you say about Craig here.

The man’s a cretin.

• artcroft

/  June 9, 2017

He certainly doesn’t seem interested in winning the public relations battle.

/  June 9, 2017

I guess you said that carefully, Sir G.

As always, Sir Alan.

/  June 9, 2017

I have said several things very carefully today, Sir Alan.

/  June 9, 2017

He and Rachel McG deserved each other.

Sir Alan❓ 😮
              My God, woman – he’d be mortified to see you say that. And Mrs Sir Al would quite likely already be furiously scratching you off the Xmas card list too ! 😳

2. Reply
  3. Tipene

/  June 9, 2017

At last, the original source of all this drama is finally getting her come-uppance – go Craig.

4. Bill Brown

/  June 9, 2017

Craig love embarrassing himself that’s for sure. This is by far a malicious move on his part using the Courts. He needs to be declared vexatious.

/  June 9, 2017

He needs to be deported, imo.

• Tipene

/  June 9, 2017

Not malicious – Craig is just evening up the scales of the awful injustice that has been imposed upon him by people who thought they could act with impunity against him.

Not much wine flowing now, is there?

• PDB

/  June 9, 2017

I think you’ve had too much wine if you think Craig has had an ‘awful injustice’ done to him.

Craig’s problems are all due to Craig himself.

• Bill Brown

/  June 9, 2017

There has only been Justice served on Colin Craig by Slater – this latest example proves he gets every thing he deserves

• Zena

/  June 9, 2017

Craig certainly seems to be cause of most of his own problems but Slater clearly made up a whole new victim that never existed so I don’t see how justice happens if he wins

• Tipene

/  June 9, 2017

@ PDB: Don;’t believe everything the Craig detractors tell you – they have their own agenda – much of which has already been well publicised – this would of course include the media themselves.

5. Zena

/  June 9, 2017

It’s clearly an attempt to influence toogoods pending decision.

Rach should sleep soundly because Slater will get crushed.

• Tipene

/  June 9, 2017

No, it’s just the next cab off the rank.

Judges aren’t influenced by what other cases may or may not be pending – they simply have to judge the case in front of them on the evidence presented.

Craig knows exactly what he is doing, why, who to, and when.

False allegations have consequences.

• PDB

/  June 9, 2017

No, it’s just a guy with too much change in his pocket tragically trying to buy his way to respectability.

• Brown

/  June 9, 2017

I’d like to think you are correct but my gut tells me otherwise. While he may have been set up by this woman he was a fool to get trapped like that. He’s not alone of course – sexual attractions can be pretty powerful and tempting but there’s nothing like the feeling of relief when you fight these young husseys off and maintain your dignity. I feel particularly sorry for Mrs Craig.

/  June 9, 2017

Sadly perhaps I have not had the opportunity, due to not possessing the magnetic attraction for beautiful young women it seems you have had, Brown.

/  June 9, 2017

try a different approach…fawning all over them…makes them think you are a…doormat.

/  June 9, 2017

Mr permanently angry”I coulda been a contender !” , shadow boxing imaginary assailants in the bedroom, convincing no one but the person in the mirror.

/  June 9, 2017

@the YNZ ‘rose thrower’…did you watch ..Taxi Driver …last night.Bol.

That’s you. On the left.

/  June 9, 2017

who’s backpedalling on the right….you…?You do a good line in…hostility..yourself.

/  June 9, 2017

Grow up, nasty boy. I can’t be bothered with you.

/  June 9, 2017

Aww … did I hurt your feelings, Petal?

/  June 9, 2017

Never mind, dear. Your mum & aunties are showing you plenty of support.

/  June 9, 2017

‘I can’t be bothered with you’….then makes more goading ..posts…go figure.

🌸

/  June 9, 2017

I have the same problem, Brown-my fatal beauty can be a curse.

It’s not MY fault that no man can resist me-I don’t TRY to be irresistible.

• High Flying Duck

/  June 9, 2017

His defense is “I didn’t do it now…I did it much earlier!”
      Not sure it really helps his case to be fair.

• Zena

/  June 9, 2017

Yesterday Craig says he’s suing and today he says he is not…..well….maybe, one day perhaps.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Helen Craig gets the bug next.

6. Kitty Catkin

/  June 9, 2017

They are all such bores that I wonder why we waste time reading and talking about them. 😀

/  June 9, 2017

I’m not talking about him, Kitty. I just said he’s a cretin. Everything else from me has just been a bit of pleasant social chit chat, as you can see.

7. Edward Gay stands by his original story at RNZ but Craig has sort of retracted: Colin Craig backs off on MacGregor defamation case

Colin Craig says he is unlikely to proceed in his defamation case against his former press secretary, Rachel MacGregor, after yesterday confirming he had filed papers against her.

The former head of the Conservative Party told RNZ yesterday that his decision to pursue the case was dependent on the outcome of his defamation case against the blogger Cameron Slater, who counter-sued. That case finished last week, with Justice Toogood reserving his decision.

Mr Craig confirmed yesterday he had filed papers against Ms MacGregor in the High Court in Auckland last year.

Mr Craig said he would not go into details about the case but said it was a defamation proceeding.

But today Mr Craig told RNZ that it was now unlikely that he would proceed with the case.

However he said he could not rule it out.

So it sounds like he definitely said something about it yesterday but has modified somewhat today, according to RNZ.