Craig, Whale Oil and weaponising of the court

Colin Craig has won his appeal against a judgment in which from Judge Mary Beth Sharp had ruled his copyright claim on a ‘poem’ as “vexatious”, “improper” and a “deception perpetrated on the court”.

NZ City:  Craig wins appeal in poem lawsuit

The former Conservative Party leader has won his appeal of a decision to throw the case out as “vexatious”, despite those opposing him saying he’s had enough court time.

Mr Craig’s lawyers this week appealed that decision in the High Court, saying he should have been cut a “bit more slack” because he wasn’t a legal expert and had run the case himself.

Justice Mark Woolford has now allowed the appeal, saying “Mr Craig’s claim cannot be seen as groundless”.

“Even if Mr Craig’s primary motivation was to protect his reputation, I am of the view that his copyright claim should still be determined on its merits,” he said.

“He is entitled to have his day in court.”

Justice Woolford also noted Mr Craig viewed himself as “a poet of some literary merit”.

To me that’s a very dubious claim but Craig’s view may be pertinent in a legal sense.

Whale Oil has quoted this article at length but doesn’t appear to have attributed it to the source.

‘Whaleoil staff’ also offers substantial detail and opinion on a case before the court. They again seem to be trying to prove their case to their readers in advance of the court hearing it.

Of particular interest to me:

It is therefore a good time to point out the elephant in the room.  In my view, Mr Craig does not consider winning necessary.  To him, grinding down all his opponents in a never-ending series of court events is enough of an achievement.   While he has millions to spend, he knows his opponents do not.

That may or may not be Craig’s aim, it is simply speculation.

Colin Craig currently has 12 current defamation/copyright cases on the go.  All related to one originating incident.  The stepping down of Rachel MacGregor.

Such weaponising of the court system is indeed  “vexatious”, “improper” and a “deception perpetrated on the court”.  And treating the copyright case as a stand-alone event totally divorced from anything else is a serious error in legal judgement.

I don’t know what is motivating Craig but there are indications it has been a mixture of things, including defending his reputation (that is in tatters as a result of this saga), and of holding an attack blog to account.

If Craig has been weaponising the court system and is indeed  “vexatious”, “improper” and a “deception perpetrated on the court” then I have some sympathy with the targets of his legal actions.

But that sympathy is somewhat mixed, given the apparent hypocrisy from Whaleoil here.

Someone who appears to have an association to someone with a close association with Whale oil posted a comment here two days ago under the pseudonym ‘Albert’, which included:

I think you will find defamation doesn’t work that way. The last few months have been a free for all in your comments against Slater with some really defamatory things said…

I have been careful to moderate anything that I think could be at risk of being considered defamatory.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Slater didn’t task that mouth breather Belt to collect everything ready for when he beats Colin.

You might find third party discovery a real bitch…

That sounds like a threat.

Much and all as I loathe Slater, he is that cunning to sit an wait and collect months of data. The publisher is Yournz not the commenters.

I’m not a lawyer but Slater is nasty when cornered…and if he has money then I doubt he’d hold back going after someone like you who is a soft target.

Freedom of speech Rights etc won’t stop him…and he will grind you down. He’s that much of an assholes.

There are some ridiculous statements here.

The “mouth breather belt” and “loathe Slater” references need to be taken with a grain of salt, self criticism is a common ploy to try to disguise a source.

I think there is a clear implication from someone probably close to Slater that if Slater gets award a big payout in his case against Craig he will use that to finance vexatious legal actions. He has already been involved in some against me, unsuccessfully, so “soft target” may be a misjudgement.

It will look highly hypocritical if anything comes of this, but I think it is more likely to be empty threats in yet another attempt to try to shut me up.

I think that weaponising of the court system is indeed  “vexatious”, “improper” and a “deception perpetrated on the court” – and with record of this already happening against me, further attempts would be seen as a continuation of an obsession with trying to shut down any criticism and holding to account.

I don’t agree with some of what Craig has done and some of the measures Craig has taken, but I think his attempts to hold a dirty blog to account have some merit.

NOTE: I will moderate anything that I think steps over any lines. As usual I will allow rights of reply but I will have low tolerance for deceit in pseudonyms and attempts by sock puppets to plant ‘incriminating’ comments.

1. Bill Brown

/  June 16, 2017

I’d say your going to be sued

2. artcroft

/  June 16, 2017

If Slater comes into a pile of money will he really have nothing better to do with it than to head back to court?

3. Zena

/  June 16, 2017

I just did a search on your blog for mouth breather as it is such an odd phrase. Could be pure councidence but I think a commenter is playing stupid games.

4. Tipene

/  June 16, 2017

Pete you will have already learned that Slater is all mouth and trousers.
    I’ve lost count of how many court procedures he has lost, and (one of) his fatal personality flaws is that he is unable to learn from his mistakes. He instead doubles down, triples down, and then quadruples down.
    Sun Tsu would nominate such a strategy as singularly the worst way to wage a battle.
    Slater, at heart, is a keyboard coward who folds at the possibility of 1:1 confrontation.

/  June 16, 2017

‘Roses are red. .violets are blue. ..Colins a dork…and Craig is. .too.’

• PDB

/  June 16, 2017

Not one of your better efforts Blazer to be fair………

/  June 16, 2017

Better than Colin’s, to be honest.

/  June 16, 2017

A short pome in the Craig style

Whenever you’re sprinting, ensure a good start
            First eat lots of onions, cos they make you … emit exhaust gasses

An uptick for that.

• Tipene

@blazer:

“Roses are red, Labour is too, so is National, and the Greens are too.

What does this mean, for the Conservative vote, when all that is left, is a Winston First tote?

They’ve eaten their own, this Conservative lot, betrayed by a blonde, who just lot the plot.

Lack of a backbone, a voter last-minute choice,

Running to National, simply lost them their voice”

And to ponder:

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”

Marcus Tullius Cicero

5. patupaiarehe

/  June 16, 2017

Once, a man was Conservatives leadings,
    He decided to start some proceedings,
    Against his once hopeful lover,
    And several others,
    It makes for quite interesting reading… 😀

• patupaiarehe

/  June 16, 2017

Once there was a fellow, quite dumb,
      Who suffered from a ‘stinky thumb’,
      Wouldn’t post a retort,
      Just downthumbed like a dork,
      I told him to go kiss my bum…. 😛

/  June 16, 2017

Update for you (not Blazer)

– Missy & I have made up
        – Sir Alan continues to be unreasonable, as always

Sir Gerald.

• patupaiarehe

/  June 16, 2017

Made up G? Didn’t know there was an ‘issue’, do tell… As for Sir Alan, he is completely reasonable, as always. Just ask him 😉

/  June 16, 2017

Let’s just say Grant Robertson came between us.
            (And before you say it – No, not that way!).

• patupaiarehe

That way, G? Don’t be silly, Grant would never do that. Missy is female… 😉
              Jokes & innuendo aside, whats the issue with Grant? I like the guy, he seems to have a GSOH, and be far from stupid.

/  June 16, 2017

I don’t really want to go into detail. I know I come across all macho n stuff, but I can be deeply hurt emotionally & just not show it.
              Trav ❤️ 🌺🌻🌸 was very supportive.

• patupaiarehe

/  June 16, 2017

I’ve always been a humble, ordinary sort of bloke, patu, as you know.

So, even though Lord Sir Alan Wilkinson of Waikare Waters has bestowed a knighthood upon me after I was recently & inexplicably missed out for a Government gong again (!!), I’d still just like to be called SIR G❗️by all my friends & family 😉

• “Trav ❤️ 🌺🌻🌸 was very supportive”

I thought I was crass and suggestive!

6. PDB

/  June 16, 2017

There was a strange man named Col,
    Who was a conservative soul,
    He used to have sex,
    Dressed as Mr X,
    You should have seen the rise in his poll.

• patupaiarehe

/  June 16, 2017

For a while I was quite disappointed,
      Thought that I was the only annointed,
      Poet on this site,
      But to my delight,
      Pants posted something, rather pointed… 😀

7. PDB

/  June 16, 2017

There are two of me, it’s true
    Mr X and Colin too,
    I must admit it’s really great,
    Twice as many people to litigate.

• patupaiarehe

• patupaiarehe

/  June 16, 2017

I’ve enjoyed our banter, my downpanted friend,
      But now it is apt, that it come to an end,
      It has just right now, come to my attention,
      That some excellent music, is lacking a mention,
      So suggest a tune, that you might find fitting,
      On the Open Forum, I’m waiting here sitting… 🙂

• Conspiratoor

Very good pat and pants. Hidden talents both. Cheers,c

• patupaiarehe

/  June 16, 2017

So Conspiratoor, my like minded minded chap,
          You give me a thumb, instead of a slap,
          I’m happy to get your reluctant approval,
          But what I seek now, is a complete removal,
          From this funny site, full of retirees yawning,
          Because unlike most here, I have work in the morning… 🙂

8. patupaiarehe

/  June 17, 2017

I’m having difficulty sleeping. Dragging myself away from my screen, could possibly be helpful. But before I do so, I’d like to post one more track. This one is for you, Pete. Please keep doing what you do, and don’t let the bastards get you down.