Her Majesty’s Official Birthday

Queen Elizabeth was born on 21 April 1926, but for some reason her ‘Official Birthday’ is about now in the United Kingdom.

1. David

/  June 17, 2017

Celebrated in June because one of the other kings had his birthday in November and the weather was awful so the official monarch birthday is now always in June when the sun shines

• Missy

/  June 18, 2017

It was King George II. He started the tradition in 1748, because – as you say – his birthday was in November and he felt that the weather would be too bad for his annual birthday parade, so he combined it with an annual spring tradition called Trooping the Colour in which the regiments displayed their flags or colours so the troops would recognise them. Noting that the astronomical (and traditional) start of summer is at the solstice on 21 June, so early June is late June, hence it is in June, but still considered spring.

Also of interest, the Queen’s Birthday Birthday Parade used to be on a Thursday, by it was changed to a Saturday so that more people could enjoy it.

Some more information regarding Her Majesty’s official v actual birthday, and the traditions behind it are in the article below.

2. sorethumb

/  June 17, 2017

Some are praying to the Christian God and some to Mecca (it wasn’t always like that in Olde England.

/  June 17, 2017

HB & MHR !, YM, HMQE2, ER ๐Ÿ’ ๐ŸŽ‚ ๐Ÿท๐Ÿท

4. pythagoras

/  June 17, 2017

Good for Her Majesty. A class act.

5. Missy

/  June 18, 2017

It has been a beautiful and hot day, I haven’t seen reporting from Trooping the Colour, but I have heard 5 1/2 soldiers fainted during the ceremony – the 1/2 is because one fainted and immediately got up again and carried on. Someone I know who has a contact in the Palace said that the Royal Family were apparently asking for the name of the soldier who got up again. Not sure if it is to say well done, or are you stupid?? ๐Ÿ™‚

The celebrations end with the flypast by the RAF, (puts our airforce to shame), but it was brilliant and of course the finale was the Red Arrows.

As usual it was crowded in London today for it, it did seem like more people in the city this year than last, possibly due to the warmer weather, and how beautiful the day has been.

/  June 18, 2017

The indomitable fainting soldier. My bet is he will be asked how he is doing & he will be congratulated, Missy. What’s yours?

• Missy

/  June 18, 2017

I would bet the same thing, but it is fun imagining Her Majesty looking at him and saying ‘what were you thinking – you are supposed to STAY down!’. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Missy

/  June 18, 2017

When I said the are you stupid thing, I meant because they are supposed to stay down so they don’t risk falling again as they get up – not in a negative way, but more in an incredulous jokey way. ๐Ÿ™‚

/  June 18, 2017

I imagine the scenario will be:
          Sgt Major: You idiot! On defaulters! Spud peeling one week for you! You know the bloody rules! You could’ve hurt yaw bloody stupid self! Idiot!
          HM: How are you’ private?. I do hope you weren’t injured? I must say, I admire your dedication to duty, young man. I expect you’ll be getting a right bollocking from the SM, but, just quietly, (disarming smile) I am most humbled by your fealty!

• Missy

A good summary G. ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course you missed one bit from he SGTMAJ’s bit…

“And it is your shout at the pub tonight ALL NIGHT”

I think they do that now rather than spud duty.

/  June 18, 2017

Righto. I forgot to add my expected final comment from HM:

But please, young man, you mustn’t ever do that do that again. You could hurt youself. And we can’t have that, can we? ๐Ÿ‘‘

/  June 18, 2017

PS: Is having to shout @ the pub the penalty for fainting, or for getting up again & carrying on?

• Missy

/  June 18, 2017

I believe it is the standard regimental punishment for fainting.

6. Blazer

/  June 18, 2017

Pomp and circumstance,the sooner NZ becomes an independent Republic the…better.

/  June 18, 2017

Well, yes, I agree, but we’ll probably just end up with an indigenous form of pomp & circumstance of some kind. Most independent Republics seem to. And look at the pomp & circumstance the yanquis turn on at the drop of a hat.