MP should resign for misinterpreted comment

A Minister apparently tweeted something on Thursday that got picked up in social media today. A furore seems to have resulted.

Newshub covered this on their news tonight, quoting \a number of offended people including MPs and a party leader who said the Minister should resign.

Any MP deemed to have tweeted (or emailed or commented anywhere online) inappropriately by any MP from another party or any political activist should resign. That should ensure MPs take care about any possible misinterpretation of any communications.

All parties should have teams scouring the Internet for any comment that could be ridiculed or if any offence could be taken from any interpretation.

That might result in Parliamentary funkstille but most of what MPs say that’s not raked over in social media is boring anyway.

Then the social media warriors and MPs with too little positive to do would have to interpret things that weren’t said but that wouldn’t make much difference to a lot of what happens now.

1. Kitty Catkin

/  18th June 2017

Precious wee petals choosing to be offended. It’s obvious that she was referring to being in meetings all day and that she’d rather be on the harbour rather than the nature of the meetings. I expect that if some Minister tweeted that they were at roading or health budget meetings all day & would rather be on the harbour (it was a lovely, sunny day-hint) nobody would notice-or they’d agree.

People are making a totally unnecessary amount of mileage out of this.

• And the next news item was the opening of a tunnel in Auckland and there was criticism that three Ministers were there cutting the ribbon. If two of them had been sailing on the harbour would that have been better or worse?

• PDB

/  18th June 2017

This sort of beat-up is more likely to see the centre-right vote grow rather than shrink……further highlights the ‘everything is offensive’ victim mentality of the left.

2. Blazer

/  18th June 2017

if she’d rather be on the harbour she can be…just resign and realign her …priorities ..typical Natz lightweight and typical defence from the ….’fans’.

• PDB

/  18th June 2017

Haters going to………..hate. Where does she say ‘I’ in her tweet? It was a generic comment hardly worth the outrage.

/  18th June 2017

‘say ‘I’ in her tweet? …I in HER….’brilliant ‘…PDB…Perry Masons Dumb Brother.

• PDB

/  18th June 2017

You’re slower than normal Blazer, at no point does she state that she is only talking about herself being outside on the harbor.

/  18th June 2017

we are discussing what she ..did say…not what she..didn’t say in her controversal ..original tweet!Who’s ..slow?

• PDB

/  18th June 2017

Context is everything Blazer, you choose to take her tweet out of context because it suits your warped view of the world.

/  18th June 2017

Nah, it was on 1Ewes as well. Taken completely out of context. Useful lesson for her hopefully that some people are humourless prats. Storm in a teacup. Little sounded a right plonker calling her unfit to be a Minister.

/  18th June 2017

so ..what was the proper context then?

• You tell me what the proper context was. I have avoided most of the noise around it. I think she tried to explain but I don’t think that stopped all the presumptions and accusations.

/  18th June 2017

she is a highly paid cabinet minister…who has shown contempt for the job she is meant to do.

• That doesn’t answer my question. All you’ve given is what is apparently your opinion without explaining the context at all.

/  18th June 2017

@PG…the claim that it was taken ..out..of context is not mine…Gezza..’ Taken completely out of context. ‘.Just opinion or has he explained it to your satisfaction?

• Missy

/  18th June 2017

don’t be such a prat, just because on a nice day she – like probably most of the population – would rather not have been in an office does not make her unfit to do her job – if so everyone is probably unfit to do their job.

Are you so perfect that you want to be at work every day? Are there no days – no matter what you are doing – you would rather be somewhere else doing something else? I would suggest if you say yes to the first and no to the second you are lying, no-one wants to be wherever they are every day of their life. That would make you unfit to do whatever you are doing on your stupid logic.

/  18th June 2017

@Missy ..please save your ad hominen attacks for someone deserving.Why do her comments need such extrapolation ?..are they cryptic?

/  18th June 2017

Kitty gave it at the top of the page. You think a Minister would wittingly send out a tweet every anti-government warrior in the country would pounce at like a rabid dog?
          Last thing Little should be plonking on about is who’s fit to be a Minister. He’s never been one. He only really wants ONE particular Minister’s job, & the polls show how few people think he’s fit to be that Minister.

/  18th June 2017

why can’t she put a sticker ‘I’d rather be ..sailing’ on her rear windscreen,like everyone..else?

/  18th June 2017

Good idea. Send her one. Moving on bud. Boring me now.

/  18th June 2017

@Gezza…if boring people on here was a crime…you’d be doing …life.

/  18th June 2017

Write a guest post about it.

/  18th June 2017

@Gezza..I thought you had..’moved on’.Bol.

/  18th June 2017

Aww did da nasty man say summink back to me? Diddums.

/  18th June 2017

just stick to your decision…move on..instead of posting puerile comments.

/  18th June 2017

I have moved on. I’m not talking about Nicky any more. Now I’m talking about when you think you’ll be old enough to change your own nappies. You’re posting like a snotty nosed kid whose nose is out of joint. Like Missy says, grow up.

/  18th June 2017

@Gezza..Missy has told me to grow up,called me stupid,a prat and a liar,all in this ..thread.This type of behaviour means I have little respect for anything she says…it is very disappointing behaviour but common when someone cannot present a viable argument.

/  18th June 2017

Well, all I can say is few would probably disagree with her diagnosis.

• patupaiarehe

/  18th June 2017

Good on you, Blazer, for not presenting a viable argument, yet still not resorting to that sort of despicable behavior… 😀

/  18th June 2017

2Gezza…is assumption…all you have?…’Well, all I can say is few would probably disagree with her diagnosis.’…go feed the…ducks….they’re ..quackers.

/  18th June 2017

@Patu….its bed time..work tomorrow..not my fav but …(yellow) sail boats …seem popular tonight.

• PDB

/  18th June 2017

Blazer: “Missy has told me to grow up,called me stupid,a prat and a liar,all in this ..thread.This type of behaviour means I have little respect for anything she says…”

Blazer (same thread) “Perry Masons Dumb Brother” – hypocrite much?

/  18th June 2017

I cannot see that friendly jibe on this same thread….harden up.

• PDB

/  18th June 2017

Blazer: ““Missy has told me to grow up, called me stupid, a prat and a liar, all in this ..thread”

Blazer: “harden up”

Indeed.

• Missy

/  18th June 2017

Oh FFS Blazer, what a stupid comment. Everyone has days when they would rather be outside than in the office, it doesn’t mean everyone needs to realign their priorities. She was making a roundabout comment on what a great day it was, not that she doesn’t want to be doing her job.

Guess you are another one of the perpetually offended who really needs to get a life and learn to accept things at face value. Grow up.

We have had an amazing week of weather, and I have told my boss each day I would rather be outside on the water than at work – it is only natural when the weather is great.

/  18th June 2017

‘She was making a roundabout comment on what a great day it was, not that she doesn’t want to be doing her job.’…thanks for the clarification…any idea why she apologised ,if her remark was so…benign?FFS has the woman no diplomacy!

/  19th June 2017

My mother was the Deputy Head of a large school. She was a born teacher and an excellent one. On crisp early autumn mornings, she often had the urge to just keep on driving past the school, which was near the edge of the town and see where she ended up.Surely almost everyone has felt the wish not to be inside working on a beautiful day !

/  19th June 2017

Absobloodylutely ma’m. Just chucked a guitar strap over my shoulder & did a 30 minute stroll around the backyard bashing out Stones, Blues, Hotel California, & Van Morrison’s Into the Mystic (I rock it up) to the birds & the neighbours. Gorgeous day here.

/  19th June 2017

Christ what a shithole. Just an hour later it’s clouded over completely with a black/grey muddy layer that’s theatening to rain. 😡

3. Bob

/  18th June 2017

And there was Andrew Little on the news, yapping away at every passing car again… yap yap yap!

4. patupaiarehe

/  18th June 2017

Could someone please enlighten me, as to what all the fuss is about? I missed the news, & nothing relevant is surfacing on either Stuff, or the Herald websites

• When a furore erupted two days later she tried to clarify:

I don’t know if she has said anything else about it or not but it seems to have been the political crime of the weekend.

• patupaiarehe

/  18th June 2017

Oh FFS! If I sacked every one of my ‘subordinates’, who told me that they would rather be somewhere else than at work, I’d have none left before the week was out!

/  18th June 2017

so you think a highly paid cabinet minister should not be condemned for displaying a total lack of tact and a questionable work… ethic?

• patupaiarehe

/  18th June 2017

What I think, Blazer, is that tweets should be taken in the spirit that they are intended. That said, I also wonder why any politician, with even half a brain, uses twitter in the first place.

/  18th June 2017

agree with the second part…as for what is ‘intended’..if it is ambiguous…expect the reaction..had she just said..’Busy with ……. meetings in Auckland- rather be out on the harbour! …she could be given the benefit of the..doubt.

• patupaiarehe

/  18th June 2017

First world problems, Blazer. A bad choice of words, is hardly a sackable offence.

/  18th June 2017

what is a sackable offence IYO Patu for ministers who are ,we are told to be held to higher account for their..behaviour?Alfred Ngaros comments o.k in..your book?

• patupaiarehe

/  18th June 2017

Alfred Ngaro’s comment, is in an entirely different league, to expressing a desire to be somewhere other than work. IMHO, he should have been sacked. But he wasn’t, which sadly, I don’t find surprising.
              I knew we’d eventually find something we agreed on, Blazer… 😉

/  18th June 2017

Disability meetings are bound to be full of people like Blazer. No wonder she’d rather be out on the harbour.

/  18th June 2017

that is a very offensive..comment..Al.

/  18th June 2017

As offensive as demanding someone be sacked?

/  18th June 2017

show me where I say she should be sacked…and you may have..a case.

/  18th June 2017

Haven’t seen you disagreeing with the headline but anyway my comment was simply factual. Those meetings are bound to be stacked with humourless rabid Lefties.

/  18th June 2017

so you are all assumption….don’t worry what you haven’t seen me post!If that was de rigueuer….we would only need one…poster..here.

6. patupaiarehe

/  18th June 2017

He lives in Wellington. The only boat he could sail there would be a submarine.

/  18th June 2017

submarines don’t have sails..Al…are you pissed,an idiot or just…everyday stupid?

• Wikipedia: “In naval parlance, the sail (American usage) or fin (European usage) of a submarine is the tower-like structure found on the dorsal (topside) surface of submarines”

/  18th June 2017

neither in the navy or an American….doubt that..Al is..either.

/  18th June 2017

Hmm. I don’t think he’s stupid. His vocab knowledge is certainly wider than yours.
          And subs are U-boats, and they sail on the surface.

Sail
          Verb
          sail (third-person singular simple present sails, present participle sailing, simple past and past participle sailed)

To be impelled or driven forward by the action of wind upon sails, as a ship on water; to be impelled on a body of water by steam or other power.

/  18th June 2017

you are on form..tonight..’And subs are U-boats, and they sail on the surface.’
            ‘a German submarine, esp in World Wars I and II. Word Origin. from German U-Boot, abbreviation for Unterseeboot, literally: undersea boat. Word Origin and History for U-boat. 1916 (said to have been in use from 1913), partial translation of German U-Boot, short for Unterseeboot, literally “undersea boat.”….hmmm who to believe!

/  18th June 2017

Christ ! Are you still bloody whining ?
              When submarines move thru the water, on the surface, under power, which they do in harbours – as well as sometimes in open sea – they sail!

I’m paying bills. Get back in your playpen.

/  18th June 2017

@Gezza…in case you missed it…’No matter, I will still think a U Boat is an under water vessel…not a sailing ..boat.C’est la vie.’

/  18th June 2017

Sorry, Sailor, you beat me to it.

/  18th June 2017

so you are in the U.S Navy ..after all….!BOL.

• I’ll beat you again Alan. I hope Blazer is still watching —

• In case you don’t read down far enough —

“When surfaced, a fan-shaped collapsible sail, reminiscent of those popular on Chinese ships, could be deployed”

/  18th June 2017

you haven’t beaten anyone..here is Als premise….’He lives in Wellington. The only boat he could sail there would be a submarine.’…you all lose.

• PDB

delusion /dɪˈluːʒən/ n
              *a mistaken or misleading opinion, idea, belief, etc
              *a belief held in the face of evidence to the contrary, that is resistant to all reason
              *the act of deluding or state of being deluded

• PDB

/  18th June 2017

You are the wrongly wrongson of yournz Blazer………

• PDB

I think you are………sunk

@PDB….sanks…but ..no sanks.

/  18th June 2017

Submarines need fins that sail through the water to control them and prevent them spinning. They are foils just as a conventional yacht sail is an aerofoil. A yacht sails forward because of the net forces of its aerofoil and its keel fin.

/  18th June 2017

@AL…desperado….you and the barely bunch think a submarine is a sail boat…wonderful..ende,fin.

• Blazer – please see my link & quote above about the original Nautilus – a submarine with a fan-shaped Chinese sail.

7. The word ‘disability’ is clearly the clue to this issue. Would we have the same furore if the meeting had been about the design of bin bags?

• I base my comment on the assumption that the lady in question was preferring “being on the water” to “being in a meeting”, as opposed to specifically “being in a meeting about disability issues”.

8. Zedd

/  19th June 2017

‘anyone for a spot of yachting on the harbour chapz ?’

1. MP should resign for misinterpreted comment — Your NZ – NZ Conservative Coalition