Open Forum – Friday

21 July 2017

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site will have to keep going through moderation due to abuses by a small number of malicious people.

A wide variety of topics and views are encouraged and welcomed, but some topics and some extremes may not be appropriate nor allowed.

1. Corky

/  July 21, 2017

Damn, had two new experiences this morning. I went to collect my new Masport Contractor Mower.I was under the impression, from photos, it was basically a standard mower made stronger for harder work. Wrong! Bloodly thing is way bigger. Wouldn’t fit in the SUV like my other mowers.

Tasted Tamarind for the first time today. I have tasted many exotic fruits but this one is the weirdest. It vacillates between sweet and sour. We miss out on so may treats because of our temperate climate.

• lurcher1948

/  July 21, 2017

I bought a Masport President 5000 186cc B&S USA made motor with a 19-inch cut commercial alloy bodied lawnmower as i like to over engineer for what i need, the thing is still being run in and hasn’t had the 5 hr oil change, DAMN it gives a smooth cut.I purchased it in our Alicetown Stihl store

/  July 21, 2017

Good on ya, Lurchy. You have a fine mower with a rare 186cc B&S. My lowest cut is 13mm.
        I wanted that down to 7mm, but to lower the mower would void the warranty. I couldn’t get Masport to budge. So for the next 5 years I will be cutting the lawns higher then I would like.
        Bloody Yanks and their preference for higher lawn cutting heights.

/  July 21, 2017

Bloody Yanks and their preference for higher lawn cutting heights.
          Poofters, Corks.

/  July 21, 2017

Gluttons for extra work. Hold on, many don’t cut their own lawns. The mower man does that. They need to realise the average kiwi lawn, isn’t a lawn. It’s a controlled paddock full of weeds. That means the lower the cut, the better. Only poofs in the leafy suburbs have lawns sown with mercury bay, browntop and fescue. Mainly because they are the only ones who can afford the seed.

/  July 21, 2017

I got 3 pukekos keeping mine short.

/  July 21, 2017

(They’d be voting – for me – on 23 September – if they could!)

• Conspiratoor

/  July 21, 2017

You’ve obviously never met kikuyu in the winter brother corks. Clearly a southern man

/  July 21, 2017

I bloody have. Took over our whole bloody front lawn & it was my job to mow the bloody stuff. It just larfed at the Masport. Wouldn’t give an inch – 2mm at the most, on the bounce-down. Gymnasts could use it for a bloody trampoline.

• Conspiratoor

/  July 21, 2017

Folks who think they can trim kikuyu down to 7mm are owner operators…if you know wadda ah mean…

/  July 21, 2017

kikuyu ..love the stuff when I’m barefooted. I mows like a dream.

*it*

/  July 21, 2017

”Folks who think they can trim kikuyu down to 7mm ”

Who does that? You wouldn’t have a lawn left. Er, I don’t want to be rude, but do you have a lawn?

• Conspiratoor

/  July 21, 2017

Ha de ha brother corks I have 1.5 acres of the damn stuff. But to deal with it I have the rolls royce of rideons …with its own refreshments holder. I go round and round and it is my therapy. Bose quietcomfort 35s glued to the ears with french cooking music on pandora over bluetooth

/  July 21, 2017

Ride on..flash. What make?

• Conspiratoor

/  July 21, 2017

There is only one make in my world brother, a beautitul big green hunk of american steel. Indestructible. You can keep your chinese junk

/  July 21, 2017

Steep hill, two adjacent landscaped sections – solution: contractor.

• lurcher1948

/  July 21, 2017

WIDTH CUT 19 inches it has an overhang both sides to cut edges either side NOT HEIGHT, it has a zillion height changes, for catcher or shoot, sorry Corky the damn thing is heavy but has the one pull easy start, just pull the cord and it starts its great

• I like a high cut lawn myself. Weed free mind

/  July 21, 2017

Dark green strip, 3rd one from the right. It’s crooked.

/  July 21, 2017

Damn, say what you want about Poms, but the rich ones sure know how to live. We are in England aren’t we?

/  July 21, 2017

John Deere? I have one myself, 33″ cut. Trouble is I have too many trees. It was gifted to me from an estate settlement.

• Conspiratoor

/  July 21, 2017

Trees are incompatible with manicured lawns brother corks, but if you must torment yourself, do it on a JD zero turn

/  July 21, 2017

Oh, I have reasonable amounts of unobstructed lawns. Just not enough to spark a JD up. Plus, I need to use a catcher. That increases the profile of the mower. However, it’s a great status symbol…I sit on it and imagine I’m rich.

• Conspiratoor

/  July 21, 2017

I’ve never seen a catcher that can live with wet kikuyu brother. Just go clockwise and mulch the shit

/  July 21, 2017

I have an old (1930s) Masport which still has traces of the original paint. It still cuts the lawn, too, and has been brought out of retirement a few times so that it can keep its hand in, so to speak. I love the sound that they make. Its drawback is that it’s so heavy. The modern moa is great, but the old ones just keep on going. My one will still be there when the new one has been put out in some future Inorganic Collection.

They were really expensive; Masport kindly sent me a copy of the old catalogue, and I’d say that they were at least as expensive in real terms as moas are now.

Pansies ! 🌸

Here’s my killer cutter! $195 – 10 years ago, from Porirua Cycle & Mower Centre, where the Hard Men shop!

Takes anything I throw at it! Plus I sometimes even throw it at things – but not pukekos or ducks! 💪🏼

It’s not great with the edges, but I’m training a pukeko to do those round the back lawn. 🐦 ❤️

Ok, so the roller was hollow plastic & it bloody broke after 4 years. 😡 But I just replaced it with a big fat bloody wooden curtain rail, that I’d soaked in oil & whacked a couple of spare ranch slider lock-bolts in each end of as axles, & it goes like the bloody clappers now. It will probably end up in a museum as a suspected ancient bloody Maori artefact after I die. 👍🏼 😎

/  July 21, 2017

My modern pushmower was not as good at cutting as the ancient relic, and we ended up with an electric one. The push ones just can’t cut some sorts of grass, alas, although the 30s one did a better job than its modern moko.

It’s virtually a musem piece 😀 The metal pin fell off years ago and was never seen again, but a bolt works all right. The wooden roller is as good as new.

/  July 21, 2017

Dad’s old pushmower at the turangawaewae was bomb-proof & weighed a hundred tons Kitty.

/  July 21, 2017

Cardio workout. Good stuff. Have a look at the new generation of push-mowers on You Tube. Talk about a quantum leap in tech.

• lurcher1948

/  July 21, 2017

Live on the hills in Newlands pushing a mower is shit petrol is god

/  July 21, 2017

I gave up after page 1 of the instructions in the manual Corks. Apart from the diagram they might as well have been in bloody Swedish for all the good they wrre to me! 😡

In the end I just hooked up the catcher where it looked like the obvious place & just winged it! Turned out alright. 💪🏼

• Conspiratoor

/  July 21, 2017

They say you know you are getting old brother corks…when you start doing more things for the last time and fewer things for the first time. So well done you young bugger. I can’t remember when I last did something for the first time

/  July 21, 2017

Ya haven’t got one over on me yet c. Something to aim for.

WHOS MIKE HOSKING??????,

The man with a Ferrari, a near million dollar contract, and neat freak fetish.

That’s powerful mojo, Lurchy.

• lurcher1948

/  July 21, 2017

i have a toyota a xtrail ,a freehold house 650k for my retirement, do i give a shit, and i have no mojo…just saying

• sorethumb

/  July 21, 2017

He’s the man who calls high house prices a sign of success. He comes across as an apologist for government policy with no empathy or insight.

2. lurcher1948

/  July 21, 2017

probably got the award for not speaking up when australia was booting KIWIS with no RIGHTS or anything
    Key a SPRAY AND WALK AWAY COWARD a national PM,

• Most popular PM in history

Arise Sir John Key

• sorethumb

/  July 21, 2017

Wasn’t helen Clark also “the most popular PM ever”?. However history might give us enough space to glance backwards.
        I still want to know what he has in mind when he says we should be more outward looking and confident of our place in the world. Is he nuts?

• PDB

/  July 21, 2017

2008 John Key promised the country to turn around the ‘brain drain’ to Aussie….

Stuff: “Prime Minister John Key has hailed record migration as a “reason to celebrate”, with most of the arrivals coming from groups the country “can do nothing about”.
      Official figures on Monday showed the surge of Kiwis coming home from Australia has continued for a full year for the first time in a generation, with people arriving from across the Tasman outnumbering those leaving.

In the 12 months to October 31, around 100 more people arrived from Australia than left New Zealand to move across the ditch. It was the first time New Zealand has seen net inward migration from Australia since 1991, and marks a sharp reversal from 2012, when those moving to Australia outnumbered those moving here by 40,000.”

• sorethumb

/  July 21, 2017

If one lifeboat is sinking while ours is still afloat National would call that a sign of success as they pile on board,

3. Corky

/  July 21, 2017

This brings back memories of a troll I chased across the net to site they thought no one would ever dream of accessing. When I found them their Avatar had changed for whatever reason to show a Labour Party office photo. When I clicked on the photo, a whole screen of personal information appeared. Something obviously had gone wrong with their system. When I posted a comment everything including the photo disappeared in a flash,

Boy, did I learn a lot that from that- how honest posters don’t really have a chance. How some on the left( and probably right) hijack blog sites so they know who logs on, what they are posting, thereby allowing them change or disrupt posts if needed. But the thing that fascinated me the most was this troll had 15 identities……why? Hell, I cant work one.

What’s that got to do with the link? Nothing in particular. The picture of the Labour branch office just bought back memories. Like me, maybe Tamati has seen the light? Not only is politics a dirty business, so is blogging.

/  July 21, 2017

Shit that’ll be funny – shaking her danglies about it, no doubt. Hope she’s on 1ewes at 6 on Plus 1. 😀

4. sorethumb

/  July 21, 2017

Greens accused of white privilege entitlement.
    “What are you going to do to get the Asians to vote for us? They don’t vote for us,” Leilani Tamu was asked by a well-meaning silver-haired white older lady when she took questions on why she should be selected as the Green Party candidate for New Lynn.

Let’s take a moment to unpack that question, which was asked without malice by a loyal party member exercising her right to interrogate the candidate.

The tone of the statement-as-question set up a them and us situation where the power was vested in the asker and the fault was located in those who “don’t vote for us”. Oh, and it was the candidate’s job to come up with a solution “to get the Asians to vote for us” because they need to make better choices.

It wasn’t an open-handed open-hearted question based on a notion of sharing and reciprocity, or a glimmer of walking in the shoes of the not-voting-for-us-population. It was a question located smack in the middle of entitlement.

And that entitlement and sense of privilege is perhaps why neither Leilani nor Teanau was on the cover of North & South, and why the Green Party members possibly favoured other candidates while Leilani and Teanau slid south on the list.

typical of the white left to assume that in a multicultural world they will be on top.

/  July 21, 2017

Why should a Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Cambodian or Laotian be considered to be the same as a person from any other Asian country when they are all different races and speak different languages ? Asian is meaningless in this context. It’s like thinking that European is a nationality and that a Finn will think like a Belgian.

5. PDB

/  July 21, 2017

Love it when rare rock concert footage is unearthed…….

Classic Rock magazine: “Unseen film of Led Zeppelin playing at the 1970 Bath Festival – thrown away nearly 50 years ago, and widely thought to be lost – has been unearthed in a British university film archive. Experts are now hoping to digitally restore the footage, and it’s hoped that it will be released to mark the 50th anniversary of what is widely considered to be one of the most important performances of the band’s career.

The 1970 Bath Festival Of Blues And Progressive Music (which took place not in Bath, but close by in Shepton Mallet) was a two-day event featuring Zeppelin, who headlined the Saturday, Pink Floyd, The Byrds, Santana, Johnny Winter, Canned Heat and many more.”

/  July 21, 2017

Great stuff. Johnny Winter, I had nearly forgotten about that mother. Sad he has passed on.

/  July 21, 2017

I’d forgotten Johnny Winter was young once. Then he turned up in this clip of Rich Derringer doing Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo.

/  July 21, 2017

Oops – my bad, that’s Edgar Winter, Johnny’s brother. They’re both albinos.

/  July 21, 2017

That’s some righteous Rock Roll. He seems to have a good discography. I know little about him.

/  July 21, 2017

I’d never really heard of him until that song got a fair bit of airplay on the wireless, Corks. I posted the studio version of that a day or two ago. It’s another one that ticks every box for me, twice in some places, like Taking Care of Business. Tight, melodic construction, blues based, blues style lead, fantastic fastpaced underlying bassy guitar riffs, chord sequences cool, great lyrics, gruntily sung.

• PDB

Wikipedia: Led Zeppelin performance

Led Zeppelin accepted an offer from Bannister to headline the festival at a fee of ₤20,000. They took the stage at about 8:30 pm, as the sun was setting. The band’s performance is widely considered by music critics, and by the band members themselves, as being one of the most important of their career, representing a turning point in terms of the amount of recognition they received in Great-Britain (until that point their on-stage success and popularity had largely been borne out on numerous United States concert tours). It was also one of the largest crowds the band performed to; well over 200,000 people were estimated to be in the crowd at the time they took the stage. At Bath the band played for three hours and performed five encores.Their setlist from the show is as follows;

“Immigrant Song” (debut live performance)
      “Heartbreaker”
      “Dazed and Confused”
      “Bring It On Home”
      “Since I’ve Been Loving You”
      “Thank You”
      “That’s the Way”
      “What Is and What Should Never Be”
      “Moby Dick”
      “How Many More Times”
      “Whole Lotta Love”
      “Communication Breakdown”
      Classic Rock Medley (“Long Tall Sally” – “Say Mama” – “Johnny B. Goode” – “That’s Alright Mama”)

6. PDB

/  July 21, 2017

Cat Stevens born this day in 1948……….let’s go with a less obvious track.

/  July 21, 2017

Things looking a bit damp in Dunedin. Hope Zedd is ok and above water.

8. Conspiratoor

/  July 21, 2017

Cha cha or rumba rhythm, I’ll let the viewer decide. French cooking music rocks

/  July 21, 2017

Lights dimmed. Glass of whatever you enjoy. Eyes closed. Comfy armchair. End of a busy week. 👍🏼

/  July 21, 2017

If we’re going for slow & easy….

/  July 21, 2017

Peter Green, the real talent in the first Fleetwood Mac, when they did white boy blues.