World watch – Friday

Thursday GMT

WorldWatch

For events, news, opinions and anything of interest from around the world.

1. Missy

/  July 21, 2017

Last night Nigel Farage interviewed Jacob Rees-Mogg, talking everything from party politics, to Brexit, to nappies. An interesting interview, and I think it shows that JRM has the attitude that (I hope) the Government negotiators are taking in to the Brexit negotiations.

(the video is the whole show, but JRM is only the first 14 mins or so).

2. Missy

/  July 21, 2017

Andrea Leadsom, one time Conservative Leader candidate – she who started every sentence ‘as a mother’ (tiresome) – has shown once again her lack of intelligence. In Parliament today she referred to Jane Austen as Britain’s greatest living author.

In my 18 months here the only good thing this woman seems to have done was support Brexit. The UK & Conservatives definitely dodged a bullet when she pulled out of the leadership race last year.

3. Missy

/  July 21, 2017

New MP Kemi Badenoch gave her maiden speech in the House of Commons yesterday, and what was interesting was when she talked about growing up under Socialism in Nigeria, and how it was that experience that made her a Conservative.

4. Missy

/  July 21, 2017

Day two of the BBC Pay saga.

One of those that have been criticised the most is Gary Lineker, the second highest paid ‘talent’ at the BBC. Whilst many object to his salary the main source of anger towards Lineker has been in the tweets he sent yesterday, seemingly making light of it all, and not understanding (or caring) why people were upset. Also, many seemed to find it offensive that Lineker lectures on twitter about how badly public sector workers are paid, about multinational tax bills (when he was involved in a tax avoidance scheme and tried to get the back pay overturned in a court of law), and other matters that today’s socialists think should apply to the poor people not them.

The Gender pay gap has also been a top story, with many BBC female presenters openly criticising the BBC and challenging their male colleagues on it. Further, those not on the list (i.e: earning under 150,000) have started a hashtag on twitter #notonthelist. All in all it doesn’t appear to be a happy place at the BBC today.

/  July 21, 2017

Hmm. Down tick on your 2nd & item only Missy. And I’ve suddenly got one in a few places too. We might be able to narrow the PDT down a bit – maybe to an old fashioned right wing misogynist who hates strong women & atheists?

/  July 21, 2017

Bugger. *2nd & 4th item …
        Also possibly came back for another look❓😳

• Missy

/  July 21, 2017

I thought for a minute PDT was sick when we went a while with no downticks, but guess he just slept in.

Yep, guessing a misogynist who hates strong women, he downtick when I posted about the new Dr Who as well, obviously doesn’t like the idea of Dr Who being a woman.

I note he does seem to like JRM and Nige…. Plus side? 😀

Possibly a Calvinist.

• Missy

Maybe, but then he wouldn’t be a JRM fan (JRM is catholic). Confusing…. :/

/  July 21, 2017

Possibly has two devices or uses a different IP address sometimes? Look for someone who sometimes posts with a different shape or colour avatar.

• Missy

/  July 21, 2017

No, my confusing comment was about his possible religion, he could be Calvinist, but then he would downtick JRM, so he could be Catholic, but then I don’t think he would downtick everything else….

I am getting confused on that.

Oh, and on the different device thing, don’t tell anyone I sometimes use different devices to uptick one or two here a few times (not telling who, so don’t ask) 😉

5. Missy

/  July 21, 2017

The gender pay gap at the BBC is causing more problems, and there has been some very public and pointed comments.

Up to 10 female presenters are considering suing the BBC unless the corporation does more to address the gender pay gap. This could get sticky for the BBC, in order to avoid being sued they will need to either lower the men’s salaries or increase the women’s.

Some are asking why the political editor is on half the salary to that of a news reader, the political editor is a woman and the news reader is a man.

This tweet highlights how some at the BBC are dealing with it. Jeremy Vine is a radio presenter, and does eggheads, he is on about 700k, Joanna Gosling is a presenter who didn’t make the list.

• I have to say as an Englishman that I am enjoying the sight of the pompous, patronising, smug BBC, with its politically-biased management, being caught with its pants down. The hypocrisy is breathtaking. And it seems to be getting worse by the day, what with underhand tax fiddles, payments through third parties, and a plan to pay everyone through their foreign arm in future so they can keep their disgraceful, deceitful unfair payment practices secret again. The current BBC is not fit to be a public broadcaster in a First World country. I hope those women employees sue it into oblivion. Lord Reith, for all his faults, must be turning in his grave.

• Missy

/  July 22, 2017

I am with you thesailor, I am enjoying the sight of the BBC being caught like this, but I hope it does not lead to the demise of the BBC (as some on social media/talkback radio have expressed a wish for). I am hoping this latest scandal, combined with the dressing down earlier this year for its bias reporting leads to reform of the BBC – and the end of the licence fee.

I will admit to objecting to paying the licence fee, but as I don’t own a tv and essentially either stream or watch catch up I don’t have to pay the licence fee, but I think it is an unfair tax that hits the poorest in society the most, which is why I find it interesting it is the left that promote it the most.

6. sorethumb

/  July 21, 2017

Melinda Gates Commits $375 Million to Global Family Planning to Counter Trump’s Pro-Life Policy

I’m pro-Trump but not with him on that. He’s a bull in a China shop. I’m pro-trump because the West is in the grip of madness.