Q+A – Metiria Turei

Metiria Turei scored a lot of media attention, but was it an own goal? She will be interviewed on Q+A this morning.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, glasses and close-up

Green Party co-leader Metiria Turei has divided public opinion over her admission of benefit fraud. What was her real message to voters?

/  July 23, 2017

Wonder if it will be a puff piece or the interviewer will ask what role the father played and who he is.

• sorethumb

/  July 23, 2017

The first panelist said “the equivalent crime for a man would be tax evasion”
      The bloke is the elephant in the room. When i was young that was the horror one bonk and twenty years of maintenance?

/  July 23, 2017

Last sentence. As it should be. The mums & dads of both should be carrying the load as well. That’d stop the sister & brother from doing the same thing.

• PDB

/  July 23, 2017

Either she enabled the father to avoid any financial responsibility by not naming him as the father or he paid her under the table whilst she didn’t declare his income – both are a bad look and both involve wasting taxpayer money that could have been utilised on someone really in need of taxpayer financial support.

/  July 23, 2017

So no-one asked those questions?

Gonna watch that too.

3rd item is about young people not in work or skills training & why – featuring a black american guy who i think they said tours, speaking anout this in the US. Gonna watch all three.

/  July 23, 2017

Jess showed her up for being a wanker.

/  July 23, 2017

While Metz talked 19 to the dozen trying to dash out all the reasons why its not her fault & the horrible punitive people at Winz under National & whoever’s Government forced her & others to lie & rip taxpayers off – she totally ignored & effectively insulted the thousands of beneficiaries who won’t do that because it’s dishonest.

She also totally ignored the fact that finally the system has cracked down hard on EVERYBODY, & checks up, & doesn’t trust anyone – because there have just been so many thousands of cases of people – who didn’t need to – ripping the system off & getting found out.

And she has the fkn temerity to claim the moral bloody high ground.

Kerry Prendegast, on the panel, got it right. She condemned her for fraud, ripping off taxpayers, & announcing it now as a political ploy to get beneficiary votes & an insincere poor me the victim cry & stunt.

Tamihere and the sociologist Sheila made excuses. One because she’s a woman. The other because she’s Maori, in my opinion. I’m not saying that’s wrong – just that I don’t think it makes what Metiria, the father, & their families did or condoned, morally acceptable.

• Zedd

/  July 23, 2017

sorry dont agree Gz.. read below

we all know that ‘she did wrong’ but is she really worth ‘hanging out to dry’
        **she did it to get her & her daughter off the benefit & into a decent job/career

/  July 23, 2017

I already did read what you wrote below & I vehemently disagree.

• PDB

/  July 23, 2017

Zedd: “she did it to get her & her daughter off the benefit & into a decent job/career”

As pointed out on this very blog over the past few days this definitely wasn’t the case in her instance. Her fraud was to fund a very comfortable lifestyle, not one where she was barely surviving. Choosing to not name the father for reasons of protecting him from paying his fair share towards their child was her choice, no point blaming the taxpayer for not paying her enough once she did that.

4. Zedd

/  July 23, 2017

would youz be so condemning had Paula (dont call me benefit) Bennett been either outed or admitted same ? for her time on DPB

btw; how many have ‘stretch the tax laws’ & is tax evasion now OK in Aotearoa (since the Panama papers) ??

/  July 23, 2017

Me, personally? Absolutely – for the reasons I’ve explained above. I would absolutely love to find out Paula had donecthe same thing & I’d rubbish her in exactly the same way!

Your 2nd sentence is irrelevant to this matter. That’s an entirely separate issue.

5. Zedd

btw; its called: Patronising & Condescending 😦

we are all guilty of something, thats humanity….folks

/  July 23, 2017

Yes it is. So stop doing it. And start thinking, and then explain to me, why you think lack of personal, and parental, responsibility are something I shoul be ashamed of expecting from Metz’s and the dad’s father, and their olds?

Bugger. Will try that again:

* explain to me, Zedd, why you think lack of personal, and parental, responsibility are something I shoul be ashamed of expecting from Metz’s and her child’s father, and their olds?

/  July 23, 2017

😡 And “shoul” should’ve said bloody “should” – and it pisses me off that I missed that! 🙄

/  July 23, 2017

I can’t look after you all the time, G. Have to go spray a bit more gorse. Nice coffee break with an apple turnover fresh cooked at our local 4Sq.

/  July 23, 2017

I might amble on down to NW & get an apricot one.

/  July 23, 2017

And Eskimo Pies. I forgot them the other day.

• Zedd

touche, fair comments
          but i’ll agree to disagreeeee

its not that blacknwhite

• Brown

/  July 23, 2017

Yes it is. Its called right and wrong. She knew it was wrong but did it anyway.

/  July 23, 2017

We don’t all try to make a virtue and political capital out of fraud.

/  July 23, 2017

No we don’ but the financiers of Western capitalism,most definitely. …do.

6. adamsmith1922

/  July 23, 2017

This was a weak interview by Mutch, in my view. Turei was allowed to spin her fairy tale which btw seems to alter each time she spins her fantasy. The icing on the cake was the tears, the woman deserves an Oscar. The whole thing was about her, and how it was the ‘system’ which forced her. This is just not right. She did not have to get pregnant, she did not have to commit a crime. She did not have to lie. The more I consider this mythic fantasy that Turei spews forth the more questions that arise. Something about this whole things smells rotten, very very rotten.

• Zedd

i cant fault your argument.. YOUR Highness

but i can see nonsense when i read it 😀

/  July 23, 2017

Which parts are the nonsense, & why, out of interest ?

• Zedd

/  July 23, 2017

i think his names an alias.. it looks like it

• adamsmith1922

/  July 23, 2017

and zedd is not? btw my point of view is clear. I am not prevaricating. Nor do I keep changing the story everytime it is spun by the self confessed liar, cheat, thief and fraudster.

7. Reply
    • The Greens are feeling the heat over Metria’s admission and are now trying the look over there is that fair! otherwise know as “Look!! Squirrel!!”

• adamsmith1922

/  July 23, 2017

No Ms Genter, it is and has been for many years very, very generous.

Ms Genter you are acting as an apologist for a self confessed criminal.
      THat tells me that you and your fellow party members support lying, theft and criminal acts. Therefore you and your colleagues should not be in Parliament.

8. The further this goes the more this looks like a strategy targeting Paula Bennett..

First we have the Facebook viral attempt to make Bennett out to be exactly the type of fraudster Meteria has outed herself as…

Secondly we have the great mea culpa from Turei…. overshadowing everything else at the Greens conference – and very little evidence of other senior greens doing their bun about MeTu grandstanding [though that could be a wait, see the election result and then knife MeTu approach as well]

Thirdly we have the press asking Bennett for comment… which she and Nat party strategists have handled very calmly and been careful not to dig at Meteria even though she has a massive target on her. Classic bait and trap approach hooping for harsh words then drop some dodgy evidence inferring Bennett is as guilty

Fourthly the carefully orchestrated social media campaign and #IamMeteria bs hastag….

Its all too pat…

• Pete Kane

/  July 23, 2017

I also don’t think ‘getting the air cleared’, prior to Ministerial appointments (partic. Social Development) can be ruled out Dave.

• Big risk for a sub 10% chance of that happening.

And personally, appointing a self confessed Social Welfare rorter – with rorting on two fronts i.e. claiming benefits with a untruthful application and refusing to name the father of her child thereby shielding him from Legimate child support payments – would be a huge political risk for any coalition Government. National would have a question for her about benefit fraud every question time for months and months, all designed to show her to be a HUGE hypocrite….

What she did particularly on the Child Support front is inexcusable. I paid my Child Support… why the hell can’t the scion of a Labour political party family damn well pay his?

/  July 23, 2017

One small note: It’s Metiria. My customer servive & cultural sensitivity training both made it clear that it’s important & respectful to get people’s names right.

/  July 23, 2017

(It’s also not a bad idea for me to spell “service” correctly, but a worryingly increasing rate of typographical cockups on my part is a separate issue – and I’m working on it.)

• I have zero respect for her Gezza so I reserve the right to get her name wrong….

/  July 23, 2017

It just strikes me as a good idea when someone like Metz is trying to justify bad behaviour by claiming the moral high ground, & I’m challenging that – it’s good idea for me to be standing as much farther up the MGH as I can personally get. And I have zero respect for very, very few people.

• Chuck Bird

I call her Material

Very perceptive. ..Dave.

9. sorethumb

The Welfare Working Group and the injection
    March 8, 2011 Metiria Turei
    There can be no other interpretation except that if a woman gets pregnant while on a benefit, she must accept state enforced contraception if she wishes to continue to receive her $194 per week social support. Despite dog whistling to misogynists everywhere, most New Zealanders would consider it abhorrent that the state would force women into contraception. This is an extreme form of state violence against women. The state has no right to control a woman’s fertility, under any circumstances.

• sorethumb

/  July 23, 2017

How will they re focus themselves as responsible – the future – global warming?
      She has spent their capital. People will look at the female candidates and say: “I wouldn’t mind banging that one?”

/  July 23, 2017

No. Most people won’t and those that do would do it anyway.

Women’s rights according to Metiria:
      1. Get pregnant.
      2. Lie, cheat and become a politician.

Bennett read the .book.

• duperez

/  July 23, 2017

I sense your wavering and her getting close to winning you over.

What level of lying and cheating will finally do it for you and see you claiming she has proven she has the necessary for one of the top jobs? 😊

/  July 23, 2017

She already has it for the Greens. As I’ve said before, both blatant and subtle lying is a prerequisite for politicians. The voters demand it. Committing fraud not so much.

10. rich

/  July 23, 2017

First up we had Mike King , topic suicide, then Metiria giving one of the reasons for her confessing to fraud , a solo mum committed suicide and how this inspired to come clean so she could talk about this . I find this abit rich coming from the leader of a political party that vilify’s and persecutes another group , farmers . It was mentioned by Prendegarst that farmers have a very very high suicide rate but that makes no difference to Metiria and her followers , they love laying the boot in .
    Also at the end 3 comments from the viewers and sure enough another crack at farmers for unproven tax evasion , the only group in society that has a fully documented earnings trail , Frontera , meat companys , produce sellers etc etc all pay via DC , no such thing as cash in the hand .
    As for metiria , I prefer Prendegarsts theory , Metiria was worried a former flatmate might come forward .

11. Zedd