Open Forum – Friday

28 July 2017

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site will have to keep going through moderation due to abuses by a small number of malicious people.

A wide variety of topics and views are encouraged and welcomed, but some topics and some extremes may not be appropriate nor allowed.

1. sorethumb

/  July 28, 2017

Illegal immigrants grow commercial-scale cannabis in rentals
    Illegal immigrants from…..? That would be othering!

• Conspiratoor

/  July 28, 2017

The ‘student visa’. One of the great rorts inflicted on the country by eyes wide shut Johnny

2. Corky

/  July 28, 2017

Good to hear Mikey Hosking preach to over half a million sanctimonious middle-class listeners this morning. He was giving it to Metiria and making sure middleclass bias would preclude them from voting Green should their choices have been vacillating.

That Metiria is a Maori is excellent. It reinforces stereotypes( more often then not true), and reminds these latte slurping model citizens, that no matter how well a Maori presents, there will always be that little piece of feralness.

Politics and blogging are dirty businesses. The gloves are off.

/  July 28, 2017

I reckon most of them will be annoyed at the blatantcy of the fraud & the inflated, self-justifying sense of entitlement, but will be sufficiently intelligent to see her thru the eyes of decent human beings with common, ordinary, integrity & respect for others, as an unethical individual, rather than thru the narrow parameters of a bigot trying to categorise all others the way they see them.

3. Corky

/  July 28, 2017

Turned on the radio last night. I received a shock. It was the first time Marcus Lush wasn’t talking to himself. No, Marcus was talking to an upset father. Dad was telling the story of his son who was on the edge of bankruptcy. He was going bankrupt because a subsidiary of a firm starting with F( the firm wasn’t named) hadn’t paid the son for work rendered.

If this firm is so wobbly it’s about to fall over, it would be prudent of PM, Billy English, to make sure, if possible, it stays upright until after the election. National is having a golden run at the moment. No sense in frightening the punters. Leave that to the Left.

4. Corky

/  July 28, 2017

Bad news for women whose husbands are still alive, but good news for widows.

Quote:

”But a new study suggests that widows actually suffer less stress and frailty than wives whose husbands are still alive.”

/  July 28, 2017

Probably true for some, when you watch & / or listen to their husbands.

• I’ve got say I’m finding that with my mother

/  July 28, 2017

Here’s a riddle. We have just seen Kitty post all over the place today. You name it, Kitty had an answer for it, [Deleted – PG] But when I posted the above story, Kitty is nowhere in sight.

Lol..this from someone who has basically called me a bs artist.

Ah, the pressure of election time..[Deleted – that’s getting too personal and potentially nasty. PG]

/  July 28, 2017

Kitty hits the sack fairly early Corks. She sometimes doesn’t see something like that until the next day, & in that case it’ll be tomorrow when she makes you look like a complete shithead.

Are you married Corks, Ever been? In any kind of current relationship with a female – a human one?

/  July 28, 2017

There’s a slight problem with your excuse…we will leave that for tomorrow

[No, if you try to bring this up again I’ll just delete your whole comments. You should know by know this sort of personal inquisition is unacceptable here. PG]

/  July 28, 2017

What excuse? I suspect you’re barking up a totally wrong tree again, assuming your weird & nasty way of looking at issues & people is commonplace. It’s not.
            It’s just you.

/  July 28, 2017

Always the master of setting the narrative so those who can’t see through the smoke will act with a knee jerk reaction. You only have to convince one person.

This story was posted well before Kitty started posting. To say she missed this story, but can pull me up for a missing a comma or spelling mistake, is a step too far.

Please try to control your invective.

[This is getting too personal and too much like shit fighting. Please stop. PG]

/  July 28, 2017

Oh. Sorry. Fair enuff. Sometimes she just ignores mindless provocations or stuff that doesn’t interest her, I’ve. Even when I’ve been exceptionally charming to try & catch her attention I just get stood up or the brush off if she’s not in the mood,

[Deleted – I’m dealing with this now. PG]

/  July 28, 2017

Sorry mate. Buggered that up a bit larfing at ya. Try again.

Oh. Sorry. Fair enuff. Sometimes she just ignores mindless provocations or stuff that doesn’t interest her. Even when I’ve been exceptionally charming to try & catch her attention I just get stood up, or the brush off, if she’s not in the mood,

[Deleted – I’m dealing with this now. PG]

/  July 29, 2017

Well, it’s just gone midnight Corks. I’ll call that a win to me tonite & we can pick it up again tomorrow if you’re up to it.
              Sleep well bro.
              0003 hours.

/  July 29, 2017

[@ Dad. Spoilsport! But ok.]

• Missy

/  July 29, 2017

WTF???? Corky have you been drinking, if so please don’t drink and post. These comments are really stepping over the line.

As G said, it seems that you are questioning Kitty’s situation as she has shared on this blog, that is totally out of line in my opinion, and very insensitive.

Stop posting until you have sobered up!

/  July 29, 2017

Makes Lurchy seem like an Old Etonian, by comparison. Eh?

• Missy

/  July 29, 2017

Pretty much, though I think Lurchy might take offense at being compared to an old Etonian! 😉

/  July 29, 2017

Probably true. But still. Even The Village Idiot would probably take offence at bring compared to someone who shall remain nameless, after last nite’s effort.

/  July 29, 2017

But Corks, just in more substantive & considered reply to your “riddle”:

Re widows, I didn’t actually have a look at it because your summary & my own observations & discussions with widows was sufficient for me to deduce that a conclusion that widows are less stressed & maybe even eventually happier without their husbands is probably true for many, maybe even most, when they get through the grieving period (you would possibly see that somewhat disinterestedly as the ‘mourning period’ because of the way you seem to relate to people without any emotional warmth &, I suspect, you wouldn’t experience real grief, or not for very long). I think you’ve likely gone off into some weird space & missed the boat.

I’ve certainly seen anecdotal evidence it’s true, and it’s been because of things like the way a lot of men, particularly of the older generations, have tended not to help around the house, or they do a bit of dusting, vacuuming, or washing up, or basic cooking, once in a blue moon & then expect to receive fulsome praise for that effort for the rest of the year, not noticing that the Mrs does it day in & day out, every day, all the time.

Ok, he does the lawns, & lays the odd paver, or digs a post hole, or takes out the trash, or whatever, but often it’s a yuuge effort every few days that amounts to bugger-all in the overall scheme of things involved in running a home. And when he gets a cold he’s dying, carries on like a fking child, & expects to be treated like one.

And she’s brought up the kids. He was always fking MIA down the pub with da boyz, sinking piss, beating his chest about the AB’s (or the Lions if he’s a pom) talking bollocks & needing to be picked up later becoz he’s too pist to drive if the bobbies are out with the booze bus doing traffic stops & breath tests.

Mum’s the one who’s mostly had to make sure the girls don’t become silly little cows who get themselves up the duff sleeping with some no-hoper when the hormones kick in. And that the boys grow up not to be abusers of females – or other males – or to have warped attitudes like developing irrational pathological hatreds of individuals they disagree with, or groups of people they think of as dirt because they’re haters due to nature or nurture or both.

Dads can play a huge part in that upbringing & most do, but often not with the constant oversight & dedication that the mums do. And the mums often keep up the contact with the family as they spread their wings & leave the nest. They track the birthdays & stuff. The blokes are like “wot do you mean what anniversary (or whose birthday) is it today?”

So when the old man kicks the bucket. Mum misses him like hell, & grieves, as they were a team. Then she adapts, & she can go out with the girls & talk about the uppity bitch down the street who dresses like a tart, & come home, & she has less to do than before, when he actually added to the load, & she now realises that.

She mows the lawn & takes out the trash herself, or gets a man in to do the lawns only when needed. Same with pavers & post holes. He buggers off after the job & she doesn’t have to cook him dinner & praise him like he just bridged the Whanganui. She may still be working, so now it’s hers alone. She can just relax & enjoy life.

Research has certainly showed that married men on average live longer than sad bastards who don’t have a wife. Because they are better cared for than they care for themselves. And that’s work. Which doesn’t have to be done when they expire.

Now, obviously, that’s not how it is for many, many marriages. Maybe even most? In many, the housekeeping workloads & roles are more equally shared. A lot of women my age & younger won’t put up with you otherwise. Some very manly men love to cook, & I’ve met a few who are even more fastidious homemakers than their wives.

Whatever makes a marriage work depends on the two people in it & how well they understand & love each other. And whether you’re happier without your departed spouse depends entirely on how much you loved & miss them – because that also indicates how much you considered taking care of each other to be ‘work’. For those of us who were in happy marriages, it wasn’t. We were a team of two equals.

• Missy

/  July 29, 2017

G, well said!

I especially like your last para, and it points to one of the reasons why I have (as yet) not married, I have not met that person who I will be happier with than what I am on my own, that one who I see as my equal and the one I love, respect and want to be with.

I would suggest though, that perhaps widows (female) are less stressed in widowhood, (once they have gone through the grieving period) because for many, by the time their partner has passed the children are also out of the house, and their time becomes theirs alone.

/  July 29, 2017

Jeez, I dunno whether to pity or envy the bloke who finally successfully hooks you mate. Probably the latter. But just one small point, widows ARE female. I’m a widower. However both are widowed when the one they love most in the whole world leaves them & they have to spend a little bit of time feeling like half of them has gone, & learning to rebuild that other half that they never even really noticed had been lovingly filled by someone else for so long.

5. Corky

/  July 28, 2017

Heard a whistleblower on the radio this morning alleging gross misconduct by a Maori education organisation. At least this case below is just your normal run of the mill Maori rort.
    Winston had a hand in bringing this case to the fore… kudos for that.

6. Corky

/  July 28, 2017

I have no proof, but I can’t help the feeling New Zealand is under attack by biological terrorists hoping to destroy our overseas reputation for gold standard food.

An example is dairy whey. Bodybuilders consider our whey the gold standard because our cows are grass fed. Grain-fed cows produce products many consider toxic to human health.

7. @alanw. South African visas. Aren’t they an absolute joke. I applied very early July. I need to go to Melbourne in the next couple of weeks ( no passport to do so though!). The whole process is so archaic and manual. I’ve applied for some tiresome visas in my time, but nothing like the RSA.

Itinerary. I’m in Namibia – heading up to the Caprivi Strip, then back to Joburg, then the Kruger Concessions, then down to PE staying with friends on a farm, Garden Route, Cape Town for a week, up the West Coast then Joburg. Away for 5 weeks

You?

/  July 29, 2017

Ours are finally with the courier from Auckland, trav. We submitted them in Auckland in mid June with the processing agent company they have hired and that actual process was quite efficient after we had got all the absurd paperwork together for the three of us. But then it went to Wellington and long silence. I emailed the agency last week and maybe that budged something or maybe we just got to the top of the pile.

We have a lot of family and friend catch up to do so will mostly just stay centrally north of Cape Town and make day trips. Everyone there and here very excited.

8. lurcher1948

/  July 28, 2017

Donald Trump how is all that winning going,Are you sick of winning??BaHaHaH
    Another major loss and I see you are still aliening female republicans…

9. lurcher1948

/  July 28, 2017

Ahh McCain you have done it again, revenge tastes good served cold just when POTUS needed some sort of a win you bring him down a peg or two…

10. sorethumb

11. Corky

/  July 28, 2017

It annoys the hell out of me Walter Becker isn’t more acclaimed as a guitarist. He has the cheek to be playing bass in this clip. One things for sure, Steele Dan never felt comfortable as a live act, preferring studio work. This clip proves the boys, as Dirty Harry would say, knew their limits.

/  July 28, 2017

Yeah. Steely Dan – one of the truly legendary bands.

Played in bands yourself by the sound of it Corky. What’d you play?
      What styles?
      Rhythm, lead? Both? Vocals, BV’s?

Done any songwriting or original material?

12. I put AJA in my top ten albums – the whole album hits me upper chest left, heads south and absolutely lifts my spirits. It’s so powerfully jazz rock, so utterly California and just so flipping clever.