Little considers stepping down

Labour slumped to 24% in the latest Colmar Brunton poll, their lowest poll result with CB for twenty years, prompting Andrew Little to consider stepping down.

1 News: Labour slumps to its lowest level in more than 20 years in latest 1 NEWS Colmar Brunton poll

LittleColmarStandDown

Corin Dann: Have you considered whether you should step aside in the interests of the party?

Andrew Little: Yeah again I’d be lying to you if I said I hadn’t thought about that, that ah in fact I spoke to senior colleagues about that.

And in the end my colleagues said “we’re in this fight together, this is all of us, this is the Labour Party, and it’s what the Labour party represents”.

Corin Dann: So they said no, they said no we want you to stay.

Andrew Little: They’ve said ‘we want you in the fight”.

It sounds more of a fizzle than a fight.

It’s not just Little who has appeared to be missing in action, the party has shown signs of defeatism.

Metiria Turei: I think the poll is showing that New Zealanders are looking for leadership on issues like poverty and issues like homelessness, and they’re looking to the Greens to provide that.

Dann to Little: They’re gone ‘we’re in this for ourselves’ and they have gone ‘bugger the consequences if we hurt Labour’. That’s what they’ve done.

Andrew Little: They’ve got their plan, their strategy, we’re still in regular contact with them, we talk about this, um they’re doing what they can. Is it helping in the long run? Well they’re going to have to answer that question themselves.

Dann: Technically, Labour and the Greens, with the support of NZ First, could still form a government on our poll numbers. But Andrew Little concedes that if Labour was stuck on only 24% it would be difficult.

Andrew Little: It wouldn’t be what I would be planning, and i don’t, I think there’s be a real credibility issue.

But Little will somehow have to carry on.

Andrew Little: Have faith, fight hard, go for it, because that’s what I’m doing.

Unless Little comes back with something different and makes a real go of the campaign this could get quite a bit worse for Labour.

1. Pete Kane

/  July 30, 2017

“WHERE DOES LABOUR GO from here? Because their Big Plan is fluttering down to earth in flaming tatters – burned out of the sky by Metiria Turei and the Greens.”
    Actually, a lot cooks in this ‘broth’ Chris.(So much selective memory.)

/  July 30, 2017

It;s just a matter of waiting with the Greens, regardless of the polls. Their rocket has too much payload for the boosters. While they are delivering plenty of thrust at the moment, it’s using an awful lot of fuel. And getting into orbit in case the Greens haven’t noticed, is going to be a whole lot harder to achieve now.

2. Corky

/  July 30, 2017

It still could happen before the election. He should step aside now and blood a new leader into the bear pit. Yes, such a move would probably mean foregoing this election, but it would mean not waiting another 8 weeks to be humiliated time and again. And going by Andy’s quivering voice in his latest interview, his self confidence is shot.

The question is: who’d want the job? And where are Labours strategists? People who should have seen to Andy’s knifing last year. Obviously Labour has none.

/  July 31, 2017

It’s not pleasant seeing it described that way. But unfortunately, for Andy & Labour, it’s true.

3. Pete Kane

/  July 30, 2017

As an aside Corks, where do you figure TOP in the grand scheme, at this juncture anyway?

/  July 30, 2017

Well, to be truthful I don’t know. I thought they would be history. If they poll higher than the Maori Party I can’t see National offering them a deal should they want one. Neither can I see Winston wanting similar. The simple fact is Morgan is too unconventional. And being unconventional is usually accompanied by varying degrees of instability.

But then, what do I know? What does anyone know. Things are becoming crazy. We can but guess.

• Pete Kane

/  July 30, 2017

Hard to pick the ‘intricacies’, I agree.

• Patzcuaro

/  July 30, 2017

Morgan is challenging the current norm not from a let or right point of view but from what is best for NZ and the planet.

• They wont win an electorate so need 5%. It would be stunning to see them achieve that in one electoral cycle….

Therefore there most likely effect is to damage the left by sucking of 2.5-3.5 % of the Party vote…. and that would please National party strategists no end

• Patzcuaro

/  July 30, 2017

Time will tell, the left is in a state of flux at the moment, Peters has no new ideas, but harks back to the Muldoon days and who wants to go back there?

At least Morgan is challenging the status quo, offering an alternative way.

/  July 31, 2017

I’m not necessarily liking it, but we seem to agree on a few things today.

4. sorethumb

/  July 30, 2017

The thing is who are the Greens cohort? I doubt there is a smooth upward gradient but rather a block. Interesting that they trumpet anti-racism while being scorned by Asians as the Western blight.

5. So the calculus in the Labour caucus…..

1) “Andy is feeling defeated already, so lets focus, like last election, on our electoral votes because how else will I get a seat in the House?” aka F.U.Andy strategy

2) “I need to start really sucking up to Jacinda, because she is the future cause Andys toast!! Oh and Grant cause Grant runs Jacinda… yeah stuff Jacinda get me Grant on the phone he is the man, I mean in control, yeah thats where its at…..”

3) Second guessing themselves …. “But who do the Unions want??? Shiiiiit they hate Grant!!! Could it be Nashie? Phil the Chinese slayer?? David Parker? Hahahahahahaahhahaha I crack myself up David Parker, snigger…..Who, oh my god who!!!!!! Hey Clint…HEY CLINT ffs get on the phone to the Union guys who do we back……”

4) Suddenly thinking longer term… “Actually [looking sly] maybe I should go green… yeah maybe a green wash is whats needed… have to win my seat first then waka, waka, waka….. jump, jump, jump. yeah that’s the way… someone get me that limp as Shaw on the phone… have I got a deal for him!!!”

Actually I don’t like seeing Little humiliated like this. But the rest of his caucus are a bunch of no talent back stabbing a holes, so it was bound to happen

/  July 30, 2017

Andrew Little: They’ve said ‘we want you in the fight”.

Yes. Very callous. They know this gladiator will be done for.

• pickled possum

/  July 31, 2017

Morena bro
      I get the sense that Andrew Little is not the blood seeking white pointer shark type,
      that would survive in a sea of fattened greedy sharks.
      Not like … say, Muldoon.
      Politics is for ones with the hardened hides of the crocodile, dontcha think.
      Andrew Little is to nice a person for this political game of thrones.

• pickled possum

/  July 31, 2017

Dash it all!!!! # too just for your comprehension sensibilities gez

• pickled possum

/  July 31, 2017

pete george # how do I get out of moderation?
          I have reset my email and password but I still go straight into moderation with each comment.
          Am I on the naughty list?

• I have checked a number of times and can’t see any reason why you should be going straight to moderation.

Just now I have tried something drastic, can you comment again now and see what happens.

• pickled possum

/  July 31, 2017

Some-thing drastic …

• I removed everything from moderation list but it still hasn’t worked. I’m sorry, but I’m baffled. Can you try by adding an x to your email address.

• pickled possum

/  July 31, 2017

There you go. Just tried the x factor.
              See if that helps, if not it may be something at my end???
              I will run it past my IT guy later and see.
              Thanks 🙂

• And try another comment as the first one always goes to moderation.

• Patzcuaro

/  July 31, 2017

Perhaps there is a higher authority at work here.

• pickled possum

/  July 31, 2017

Really Patz that’s so funni. didn’t figure you had a SOH
              HeHeHe … Do you mean the NSA the ABC or the GBS
              Could be the English dept of the skool of higher learning.
              Well come to think of it …. hmmmm …..
              The plot thickens.