General chat

Traveller asked “Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Try it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

1. Rod Stewart about The Faces. “We were banned at all Holiday Inns so we used to check in as Fleetwood Mac”

/  August 14, 2017

too much Trav,great clip with Rachels mistake,I mean Rod….has that great down to earth rapport.

/  August 14, 2017

If that’s Rod on vocals, he hasn’t got the gravel in his voice in Oh la la? 😳

• The lead vocalist on Ooh la la was Ronnie Wood. However, mostly vocals were by Rod Stewart or less often by Ronnie Lane.

2. David

/  August 14, 2017

Climate change is a hoax….just kidding 🙂

3. Anyone done this iconic road trip?

What music would you put on your playlist and what would you drive?

• I’m mostly thinking about the Detroit picks at this point. Since I’ve been thinking about Rod this morning, I’d have to drive in to Detroit listening to this.

/  August 14, 2017

don’t like the yellow jacket.Is that off the Christmas Album….?

• He made some interesting sartorial choices

• Brown

/  August 14, 2017

Route 66 will be in a rental car in about 2 years (if UP get their Big Boy going). No music because the scenery and trains are magic enough and I will be engaging with wife and son. Dads and sons don’t even need to talk – the company alone is deep communication.

/  August 14, 2017

What music would you put on your playlist and what would you drive?
      Drat. Did a Kitty – went in wrong place – see below.

/  August 14, 2017

this one goes together like…peas and…carrots.

• Conspiratoor

/  August 14, 2017

Twice, on a harley with the love interest riding shotgun. Sweet Home Chicago at 80 watts in the desert worked for me. In truth there is not much of the mother road left and not a lot to see until you get into big sky country …where in some places you can become Tom Joad or even a 1 percenter for a few days

/  August 14, 2017

I’d drive a tuktuk & I’d be playing Back In The USSR, The Weight, Gimme Shelter, Honky Tonk Women, The Inner Light, Helter Skelter, Waterloo Sunset, Hot Legs, Freddy King’s, Bohemian Rhapsody, Radio Gaga, You & I, Key To The Highway, Revolution, Green Tambourine, Cocker’s She Came In Thru The Bathroom Window, Gimme All Your Lovin, Jesus Just Left Chicago, Born To Be Bad, Refugee, Here Comes My Girl, & a few others.

5. Blazer

and an encore…

6. I know this isn’t remotely USA, but’s it for a dear friend I’ve sadly heard who passed away this morning. He was a beautiful man, deeply poetic, a Major Van fan of the first order

7. Blazer

/  August 14, 2017

a bit of a different version…versatility..

8. Corky

/  August 14, 2017

Never liked the names John and Joan. Don’t know why.

9. phantom snowflake

/  August 14, 2017

A guilty pleasure from the eighties: “the age that style forgot.”

/  August 14, 2017

Thank goodness I was a university student who mostly avoided the 80s clothes and hair and did my own thing as far as style went (opshop, retro-I had the most wonderful clothes & heard later that I was famous for these )

80s pink and grey and those unbelievably bland pictures in bland clolours. Cobalt blue, huge belts and shoulder pads….big hair…sequinned knits…what were people thinking when they wore those ? Brick cellphones, legwarmers, striped blusher….

• phantom snowflake

/  August 14, 2017

I don’t get it either; but I’m also struggling to imagine how ‘Millennials’,for example, will be remembered historically.

10. Joe Bloggs

/  August 14, 2017

And bloody platform shoes – the number of times I fell off those ghastly ankle-killers in the name of fashion…

/  August 14, 2017

I only did once, in my bedroom, and didn’t hurt myself. These were those really high wedges that I thought so lovely.

Some of the modern ones look like built-up shoes that people like a friend’s mother wore because she had something wrong with one leg-I suppose that there were monochrome ones in the past that also had this appearance.

I read a letter in a magazine from a woman who’d worn them in the 40s and thought herself just it in her new burgundy wedge heeled shoes….until she heard someone on a bus whisper to a friend about that poor girl with two club feet.

11. Kitty Catkin

/  August 14, 2017

I found the 1938 price schedule of the Masport Mowers in 1938-there is one in my shed.

They began at 65/- & 75/- (shillings) and went up to 105/-, which would have been a lot of money then, Mine is one of the 75/- ‘Clipper’ ones, and was 75/- well spent, as it still goes although it’s been retired for some years. It’s been brought out a few times in emergencies and still does the job-but it’s very heavy, alas.