Barcelona van attack

Another attack by vehicle in Europe, this time in Barcelona, Spain.

Guardian: Full report: van hits crowd in city centre

Guardian live updates: Barcelona attack: multiple deaths reported after van hits Las Ramblas crowds – latest updates

Police confirm fatalities and say they are treating incident in Spanish city as terror attack, amid local reports that armed men have entered restaurant

Local media is reporting that one person has been arrested in relation to the attack.

Separate reports said the Guardia Civil have identified the suspect thought to have hired the white Fiat van used in the attack. According to those reports, he is understood to be from north Africa but to possess a NIE, the identity document issued to foreigners who are resident in Spain.

It is not clear whether the reports referred to the same person.

A second van linked to the attack – assumed to have been used as getaway car – has been found in the small town of Vic in Catalonia.

UPDATED summary  from the Guardian:

What we know so far about the Las Ramblas terror attack

19 Comments

    • Gezza

       /  August 18, 2017

      Aljaz tv live updates currently reporting that one suspect is now in custody & another is reported to have been shot dead?

      • Gezza

         /  August 18, 2017

        They report that the van drove at speed along the boulevard for more than half a kilometre.

        • Gezza

           /  August 18, 2017

          Catalan President just gave press conference shown on Aljaz. He stated 12 people are dead, 80 people have been hospitalised, two attackers were involved.

          • Gezza

             /  August 18, 2017

            Their update now says both attackers have been arrested.

            • Missy

               /  August 18, 2017

              At least one was Moroccan apparently, not sure about the other.

              One report here says one attacker was shot dead.

    • Brown

       /  August 18, 2017

      As I suspected. Far right Anglican as usual. I feel sorry for the Muslims who will be frightened by this far right outrage that didn’t target them.

  1. Gezza

     /  August 18, 2017

    Aug 18, 2017 12:14 PMStuff Editors
    Police in Spain say they have shot and killed several people south of Barcelona while carrying out an operation in response to a terrorist attack.

    The regional police for the Catalonia region said on Twitter that officers are in Cambrils, a seaside resort town about 100km from Barcelona.

    Spain’s public broadcaster, RTVE, is reporting that regional police troopers have killed four people and injured another.

    The broadcaster says police suspected they were planning an attack in Cambrils just hours after a van swerved onto a pedestrian promenade in Barcelona, killing 13. – AP

  2. Gezza

     /  August 18, 2017

    Aug 18, 2017 1:03 Pm
    Stuff Editors

    Terror suspects killed in a police shootout in the Spanish town of Cambrils tried to carry out a similar attack to the deadly Barcelona strike by driving a van into pedestrians, Spain’s public broadcaster RTVE reports.
    It said seven people were injured by the suspects, two seriously.

    Spanish police confirmed that at least four terror suspects were shot and killed by officers following the attack, in the town south of Barcelona.
    Police tweeted that they “have shot down the perpetrators” in response to the terrorist attack.
    RTVE reported that the suspects may have been carrying suicide explosive belts.
    ………..
    The manhunt remains underway for the driver of the van that mowed through crowds of tourists and authorities say the death toll could rise. – AP
    ………
    Aug 8, 2017 2:13 Pm
    Stuff Editors
    Update from AP –  Police in Spain say fifth suspect shot and wounded in Cambrils has died.
    ……….

    And a 🌸 & 😘 for the downticker(s). 👍🏼

    • Gezza

       /  August 18, 2017

      Barcelona attack: five suspects killed in Cambrils in second terror attack – latest updates:

      There was another terrorist attack in Cambrils before five suspects were shot dead, authorities have confirmed.

      A spokesman for the regional government of Catalonia said:
      The alleged terrorists were in an Audi A3 and apparently knocked down several people before coming across a police patrol and a shoot-out ensued.
      Seven people, including one police officer, were injured. The officer’s injuries are not life-threatening but one other person is critically injured and another seriously. 

      The five suspects were in an Audi A3 car, which was driven deliberately into pedestrians on the seafront in Cambrils on Thursday evening.
      Police said some of the attackers were wearing what looked like explosive belts, adding that they were “working on the hypothesis that the terrorists shot dead in Cambrils could be linked to what happened in Barcelona”.

      https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/aug/17/barcelona-attack-van-driven-into-crowd-in-las-ramblas-district?page=with:block-59966485e4b06863e21fb7dd#block-59966485e4b06863e21fb7dd

  3. Corky

     /  August 18, 2017

    Just heard comments from Spanish officials and Bill English.

    These people make me puke.

    Although there was modicum of understanding from One news. They are starting to ask questions: ”Why all these attacks..in EUROPE?.”

    Maybe Sherlock Holmes could guide them:

    ”When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

    Yes, but Sherlock wasn’t afraid of the truth.

  1. Barcelona van attack — Your NZ – NZ Conservative Coalition