The Press/Stuff Leaders Debate

The Press/stuff leaders debate Between Bill English and Jacinda Ardern is at 6 pm tonight:

How to watch the Stuff Leaders Debate

It’s the third of four to be held around the country before the election and will be streamed live on Stuff and Facebook from 6pm, Thursday.

You can watch the stream directly from the home page on the Stuff website, or through Facebook Live on Stuff’s Facebook page, or at the Stuff YouTube channel.

A strong opening speech from English.

Ok but more subdued and routine from Ardern.

Ardern has warmed up well, but doesn’t get a crowd response when she says her whole front bench is ‘exceptional’.

English names his front bench and a groan follows ‘Steven Joyce’.

Too much bull from both sides.

A late half time.

English has been dogged but has had some difficult issues to deal with. Ardern has been strong in attacking and digging away at 9 years of not enough.

To turn things around English has to have ripper and he needs Ardern to stuff up, neither are happening.

I have half listened to the rest. Must be getting campaign fatigue.

I don’t think this debate will have changed much. English has to find something else to lift himself, National has to sort out it’s appalling campaign, or we’re likely to cruise to a change of government.

1. PDB

/  September 7, 2017

How long does it drone on for?

2. Pete Kane

/  September 7, 2017

Jacinda at introduction (and in profile) looked like someone off The Young Ones.

/  September 7, 2017

After repeated tries, & 23 mins in, none of the three available links will play on my FiP – so fk them. I’ll go play tiddlywinks.

4. Pete Kane

/  September 7, 2017

Leaders debate I know. but most common Jacinda word in policy (not personal record etc), is i.

5. Pete Kane

I

6. robertguyton

/  September 7, 2017

So, I get the sense that you guys here can see she’s wiping the floor with him and you can’t bear the sight?
    I’m not watching, but scanning the comments all over to get my own impression of how “New Zealand” is reacting.

• Pete Kane

/  September 7, 2017

A comment/observation Mr Guyton. I’m voting Green, for the record.

• I could vote green too, if I decide they deserve to stay in Parliament.

But Maori Party have the best attitude of any of the smaller parties, prepared to work with anyone in government to achieve what they can. Another MP or two for them would be good, and I’d like to see Marama Fox stay in there.

• Pete Kane

/  September 7, 2017

She (MT) hasn’t made it easy. But I’m hardly the most conventional Green voter to say the least. Just ‘interesting times’ Mr Editor.

• robertguyton

/  September 7, 2017

Pete Kane- me too and well done, you! Exciting times for everyone, once the panic subsides 🙂
        Come on, Pete George, you’ve been sniffing the breeze long enough. You know there’s a rancid smell coming from Bill’s team. Make your vote count!

• Every vote counts. I think Greens will probably survive anyway, I’m picking 6-8%, which should be a decent reality check.

I’d like TOP in there too but I think Morgan has run a good campaign in some ways, but a poor campaign in others so is likely to be well short.

So I’m pondering.

• PDB

/  September 7, 2017

To be honest when I left it Bill seemed the more composed & controlled and Ardern was still flapping about with no specifics, to the point where she simply resorted to shouting out slogans repeatedly as English tried to answer her questions. My issue is that there was nothing to learn here that we didn’t know from the previous two debates.

/  September 7, 2017

Saw the last 30 minutes through the stuff homepage link when I ried without using private browsing. Wonder how many other people gave up with technical issues. Be interesting to k ow what the totl oline audience was, compared to tv

How come her mic seemed to be double the volume of Bill’s or was she just leaning in to it to interrupt?

• She’s not wiping the floor. I’m getting a bit sick of the bull from both sides, I’d prefer a campaign with more substance but the media ensure superficiality rules.

English needs to excel or he’s history, and he’s not doing enough and Joyce is dragging things down.

Ardern got Labour into contention, National’s campaign has put her in the box seat.

• PDB

/  September 7, 2017

I think this election is also seeing a real gender vote split – the people I saw asked for their opinion after the debate as to who won were women – Ardern, Men – English. Ardern – appeals to the emotions/possibilities, English – appeals to experience/probabilities.

/  September 7, 2017

Big mistake Bill talking about Cathedral rebuild being a priority for government funding, judging from the howls of protest from the audience. Grow up Bill! Everybody else is. Nobody’s gonna be wanting to go somewhere expensive & irrelevant to thank a non-existent God for wrecking the place, killing people, giving them mental healt & stress issues & then making them all have to rebuild it.

/  September 7, 2017

From a personal perspective that was a total waste of time for me. Frustrating as hell. I had none of these issues watching the finance spokepeople debates. Although I couldn’t get the feckin thing to play I did note the YouTube kive link was showng 12,000 viewing.

• PDB

/  September 7, 2017

Not a lot at all viewing online – as for Christchurch they should have bulldozed it when they were given the opportunity (and disbanded the Crusaders for being too successful).

/  September 7, 2017

I’m totall pissed off with:
    1. Stuff for the time they held it – wankers
    2. The technical problems I had so I missed most of it – that should have been seamless.
    3. TVNZ for not broadcasting it – online only excluded a lot of voters imo.

/  September 7, 2017

Even now I’ve given up on trying to read about it on Stuff. They fill their pages up with so many clips & ads n shit it regularly crashes Safari & Chrome on the iPad so I’ve just given up their site for news.