Choosing a new Kiwi anthem

Out currently used national anthem is widely disliked. Apart from the tune and the lyrics it’s not too bad, but @Naly_D is trying to determine a popular replacement from other songs from our past.

Are the semi-finalists the best of that lot? They are:

• April Sun in Cuba
  • Don’t Dream It’s Over
  • Dominion Road
  • Slice of Heaven

April Sun is too foreign, and Dominion Road is too local. Don’t Dream doesn’t sound right, so that leaves Slice of Heaven.

Hey, I got a lot of faith in you
I’ll stick with you kid- that’s the bottom line
Yeah, you have a lot of fun don’t you
And living with you is a ball of a time
Hey beauty when the mood gets you down
Your bottom lip’s near dragging on the ground
That’s when I gotta play the clown for you
Black humour made you kick your blues
Howdy Angel
Where did you hide your wings
Her love shines over my horizon- she’s a slice of heaven
Warm moonlight over my horizon- she’s a slice of heaven
Hey, I gotta lotta faith in you
I’ll stick with you kid- that’s the bottom line
Yeah, we have a lot of fun don’t we
And heaven has to be with you all the time
Hey beauty

Is that:

1. Singable enough?
  2. Appropriate words for an anthem?

UPDATE:

• At a glance I thought that was Elvis. Has he immigrated?

/  September 23, 2017

If he was living there now, he might?

/  September 23, 2017

Slice of Heaven sounds illiterate.

I’d like ‘Dance All Around the World’ (BLERTA)

I couldn’t wait to be grown-up enough to be a member of BLERTA and travel in their bus…alas, lack of musical talent might have been a handicap. I saw them at a music festival, and have seldom longed to be part of anything so much.

/  September 23, 2017

Or would he be singing at Trump rallies, Gezza ?

1. Zedd

/  September 23, 2017

OR.. it could be a toss up between the USA or China’s.. if/when the take over !? 😦

2. Blazer

/  September 23, 2017

we should allocate about $20 mil for a referendum…,)

• I think that would be too likely to be deliberately trashed and wasted.

Better to use the current tune, that’s already all around the world, and change the lyrics. I don’t like separate Maori and English lyrics, there should be an integrated mix.

• Conspiratoor

/  September 23, 2017

Agreed. The lyrics are just wrong. While we are busy defending, our mates across the ditch have gone over the top and are advancing

/  September 23, 2017

Don’t understand what you mean or how that would work.
        You’ve knocked out poetry. Have a go at a verse or half verse. Anything you like. Just show me something as proof of concept.

Use Google Translate: English & Maori.

3. Conspiratoor

/  September 23, 2017

Slice of heaven. Brilliant!

• Conspiratoor

/  September 23, 2017

Better still we only get one version. Possum to confirm but seriously how would you translate ‘your bottom lip’s near dragging on the ground’ into maori

/  September 23, 2017

You’re forgetting there has to be a Maori Reggae group at every performance.

/  September 23, 2017

Actually, you make a good point, albeit in a shitty way.
        So if we can’t have a Maori version as well, it has to come off the list.
        So that one’s out. Bad luck.
        What’s your next choice?

• Conspiratoor

/  September 23, 2017

Actually you miss my point. One version doesnt mean no tokenism. See pgs point above

/  September 23, 2017

Righto, I’ll have a look in a minute. Just checking all’s ok down in the stream with Charlie Patrol first.

/  September 23, 2017

No sign of Charlie Corvette, but The Roads are clear of enemy vessels too.

/  September 23, 2017

Spoke too soon. Another hybrid’s entered the patrol zone from the North. Be stopped for inspection soon I imagine. Charlie’s working his ass off these last four days. Provides his own air cover as well.

/  September 23, 2017

Fark – my eyelids are dropping. Too many late nights. I better get up the Community Centre and … you know … do that thing today. Later dude.

/  September 23, 2017

Had to go to the school. Chocka.
              No worries. Got a park in the playground.
              Good stuff.
              Say no more.
              I know the rules. 👍🏼

/  September 23, 2017

No, I can’t really see that one taking off, Gezza, I’m sorry.

4. Corky

/  September 23, 2017

Let’s write a new anthem. I propose it be called ” Door Mat.”

Our country so dear.
    Beauty beyond compare
    Lets rejoice in its splendour
    Let’s follow its candour.
    But always remember
    A welcome mat we need never tender
    To go with the door mat contender we extend to all foreign genders.

Kia ora, we great ( x3)

Guitar riff followed by rapping the verse.

One hand over our heart, the other over our groin as the anthem is sung.

/  September 23, 2017

Needs a lot more work. Sorry.

/  September 23, 2017

It neither rhymes nor scans and it makes little sense…what on earth is a foreign gender ?

I do dislike the US hand on heart thing, it looks silly there and ridiculous when it’s aped here, as people usually have their hand on the wrong place and their anguished (moved ?) expression suggests acute indigestion.

/  September 23, 2017

Dear and compare don’t rhyme. Ouch.

I can’t work out what a foreign gender is and how it might be different to native genders.

5. PDB

If we revert to the economics of the 1970’s post-election this might work;

/  September 23, 2017

Heard Mark sing this song live. Unfortunately the sound man was way off with his mixing. Mark was left singing out of tune as you do around the camp fire when you are pissed.
      Ah, still remember that summer night in Te Puke. Some bros wanted their money back and threatened to ‘do Mark and his entourage.’

/  September 23, 2017

Someone I knew was at the NZ Mary Hopkins concert, and she sang so badly (she was off her head with drugs) that she was booed off the stage and people demanded a refund.

6. Corky

/  September 23, 2017

[Deleted, no political references today. PG]

7. phantom snowflake

/  September 23, 2017

This should definitely make any shortlist lol

• That is still an official anthem of New Zealand, which is ridiculous. It should be struck off the list.

Sedition!!
        Scoundrel!

🛡 Sir Gerald ⚔

/  September 23, 2017

Not that version 😀 😀 😀 (I mean that the original is not an official anthem, but wouldn’t you love to play this one at a Grey Power meeting ?)

Note that I changed it to Grey Power from _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

8. Kevin

/  September 23, 2017

Good god. Can you imagine a crowd singing “Slice of Heaven” at a rugby match? Talking about looking like a bunch of backward hicks. Even the Aussies would be embarrassed.

9. namron

/  September 23, 2017

Once again, everyone’s an expert. As with all music, individual preferences will make any decision disliked which will mean on-going arguments.
    It’s not a pop song with a short 6 month life we need but maybe something specifically written for the purpose. I doubt that even that would be acceptable to many.so perhaps we are better with what we have.

Good point! 👍🏼
      I’m a singer / songwriter. Just a hobby. Voice isn’t that great. Mid range. I’m told I pick nice melodies & do good lyrics tho. I’ll see what I can come up with.

• Conspiratoor

/  September 23, 2017

It is whatever we want it to be pal. The current one’s a funeral dirge.
      God, I bet you’re an absolute hoot at a party

Keep it real c!

/  September 23, 2017

It’s only a dirge if it’s sung as one, if it swings along at a good pace it sounds really good. Any song sounds dreary if it’s played too slowly. I have heaed hymns played so slowly that nobody can sing them.

How about ‘Ten Guitars’ ?

Naki Boy here.
    Got the perfect one! Possum could scribble out the Angitu for the first verse, we could mix it up like PG’s suggested.
    Not a lot of vocal range demanded – just good sense of rhythym.
    Everyone can handle the chorus.

With A Good Bass, you can grunt it up when facing the Ockers n Saffers n whoever (Doesn’t matter. We cream em all👍🏼) whenever required. Proud, non-rhreatening.

What are your reckons?

11. Kitty Catkin

/  September 23, 2017

Our current one has an easily remembered, easily singable tune-and I suspect that any serious attempt to change might be a non-starter.

What about the Ches and Dale song ?

/  September 23, 2017

We are the blokes from down on the farm/We really know our cheese/There’s much better value in Chesdale/It never fails to please/Chesdale slices thinly/Never crumbles, there’s no waste/And boy, it’s got a mighty taste-Chesdale Cheese ! /It’s finest cheddar-made beddar.

12. Conspiratoor

/  September 23, 2017

A 4 seat overhang? The nats can govern w/o Winston. Rats!