Open Forum – Thursday

12 October 2017

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site will have to keep going through moderation due to abuses by a small number of malicious people.

1. Corky

/  October 12, 2017

I need to put my guess out on which way Winston will go after negotiations are wrapped up. I don’t want to be one of those prats who says- ‘yeah, I had a feeling he would do that’ – after the fact, to present like they are some omnipresent political commentator.

My guess is Winston will sit on the cross benches and give National his confidence and supply vote.

/  October 12, 2017

Same, Corks. I mean, who knows, with Whinny? No shame in just weighing things up for yourself, taking a punt, making a call, & getting it wrong. You do it all the time. I can still respect that. That’s what a bloke does. My feeling is he’ll go with National. Don’t like the shifty beggar, but he’s been a force in politics who has achieved some worthwhile things in his career, including doing a decent job as Foreign Minister & Deputy PM, & looking after the oldsters. National’s his fastest route to a well-deserved gong.

2. sorethumb

• Pickled Possum

/  October 12, 2017

Thank you sore thumb that was the best video I have seen today.

• It takes its time to come to the point…is there one ? I can’t see any connection between the video and the text.

/  October 12, 2017

Yes there’s definitely a point. I’m amazed that you’ve missed it!
          But there you go! You’re an ACT supporter so that’s possibly why.
          I can see the point of the biblical text as well but perhaps one needs to be a practising New Testament-oriented Christian to get that bit, or to understand them, like me, & thus how they would see that as directly relevant.

/  October 12, 2017

It took so long to reach it that the point was largely lost in all the repetitive build-up. Sledgehammer & nut.

Yes, I know and understand the text, but felt that the video was too long and teejus.

/  October 12, 2017

I shall pray for you. 👼🏼

3. At a powhiri for the America’s Cup in Napier yesterday, the last speaker sang a waiata after his korero as is the custom. He chose the New Zealand National Anthem, but only sang the Maori version. I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t impressed… Your thoughts?

/  October 12, 2017

He might not have considered it worth his while to learn the English?

I suppose it doesn’t really matter that much, Duncan. I’ve heard & seen HEAPS of monilingual pakehas whingeing on about why do we have to sing the damn thing in Maori verse as well as English.

Do you think he might have been making a point about monolingual pajeha rednecks who can’t be bothered learning the native language of their own country?

I reckon he possibly was. Are you able to find out his email addy? You could maybe email him, ask, & report back?

• Pickled Possum

/  October 12, 2017

Good morning Duncan does your logic apply when english is sung and maori isn’t? Why on earth would any one get upset over this? Unless they thought maori langage was stone age and irrelevant. Waiata after whaikorero is how we roll bro. It is part of our life a part that is trad it gives a meaningful ending to a meaningful speech. If you … like alot of non maori do not understand the words how bout learning … just like we HAD to.

• PP you’ve made some easy-to-make but incorrect assumptions about me. The suggestion that “Maori langage was stone age and irrelevant” was yours not mine. I know a little of the language and enjoy using it. Probably like you, I don’t agree nor am particularly proud of some of New Zealand’s past errors. My point was, in the same manner that the Maori language has been embraced into what was originally written as a song written in English, it would seem appropriate to include both versions for the sake of the crowd, many of whom were predominantly English-speaking. The Anthem is our song – Maori and Pakeha – as New Zealanders, and I sing both versions with pride.

• Pickled Possum

/  October 12, 2017

Yes DB I sometimes let my ohmoshones get in the way of what others are really saying. I apologize for this assumption. I have been at hui where english is spoken on the paepae in whaikorero and this has been widely applauded and very acceptable. I also have been to hui where translation is done for non speaking Maori and yes this has been appreciated immensly. My take on your comment was a man did his korero and then waiata. I have never heard a waiata done in maori and then sang in english after whaikorero. That is what I really meant to say. And as for the rest of my rave up top about stone age te me te me … yes that was my speak not yours.

• One of the most welcoming marae I have visited is Te Aranga Marae in Flaxmere. Korero is done in Maori and English, custom is explained and the decorations inside the meeting house represent several cultures. I feel included, and more inclined to embrace the differences, than at other marae where I can stand for an hour or more, along with a crowd of other people, Maori and Pakeha, who don’t understand what’s being said.

/  October 12, 2017

Yes. There are marae like this in my turangawaewae of Ngamotu & rohe of Taranaki, also here. It is good not only for pakeha manuhiri but also for those disconnected tamariki who don’t speak & understand Maori either.

• duperez

My thoughts?

I think the last speaker at a powhiri for the America’s Cup in Napier yesterday sang a waiata after his korero. His choice was the Maori version of the New Zealand National Anthem.

I think think him exercising his choice in the way he did begged someone to suggest something along the lines that there should have been a prescriptive list of waiata for him to choose from made up by the attendees present. Doing that would have avoided any possibility of there being anyone there who have been ‘not impressed’ by his choice.

I also think that the next time that particular speaker sings a waiata he should preface it by saying, “If anyone here intends to be so arrogant as to be unimpressed by my choice of waiata they should piss off now.”

4. Corky

/  October 12, 2017

Most of us aren’t surprised by anything our liberal judicial system does. Their madness and stupidity are now ingrained parts of Kiwi culture. So, when Mikey Hosking interviewed a lawyer about murderer, George Trounson, being released on parole for the seventh time, I was flabbergasted to hear his case isn’t that unusual ( re- multiple parole releases.)

Yep, surprises can still be had aplenty in Aotearoa.

• Pickled Possum

/  October 12, 2017

Alcohol makes it all possible. Or is it the lack of self awareness in some to see it controls them. Join the Flabbergasted team, here in NZ they meet every hour at dezignated spots in Your town.

5. Corky

/  October 12, 2017

Leighton Smith made an interesting comment this morning. He said many of the younger generation have never know of war directly impacting on them. They think the current state of affairs is how its always been. But Smith noted things can change in a flash, as history has shown.

Ian Wishart, commenting on a similar theme, has said, as historical armed conflict goes, we are currently living in a time period that is an anomaly.

These comments are what separates me from everyone else on this blog. Too many believe something will work out, things aren’t really that bad, and that the world is evolving.

Take the Muslim problem. Even those who have conceded we have a problem, still don’t get we are talking about the end of our civilization. They can’t wrap their minds around such an outcome. It matters not that Muhammed is Britain’s most popular boys name. Or that many western schools now have more immigrant students than native speakers. That security measures are costing us billions in capital outlay and lost man hours. And that Sharia courts now operate covertly in Western countries. The list goes on.

None of that really surprises me. What does surprise me is Baby Boomers, some whom suffered indirectly because of the Second World War economic and social fallout, are more mind numbingly ignorant then younger generations.

Maybe they believe given their checkout date is coming up, it doesn’t really concern them. Maybe they are right?

• The reason for Muhammed and its variants being the most ‘popular’ is that all Muslim boys are given that name, If all boys of any race were given the same name, that would skew the results. It doesn’t mean that there are more Muslims than anyone else.

/  October 12, 2017

These comments are what separates me from everyone else on this blog
      Possibly overestimating your uniqueness here Corks. Although I would agree there are certainly things that separate you from others on this blog – as there are me, Sir Gerald, Ermintrude & T-Coazi.

6. Corky

/  October 12, 2017

Quite a good overview with some disturbing facts.

Maybe a remiss MSM is why we have so many ignorant people in the world.

7. sorethumb

/  October 12, 2017

The Law Society of Upper Canada has made it mandatory for all lawyers in Ontario to prepare a statement of principles in accordance with the guidelines indicated below. Professor Bruce Pardy of the Faculty of Law at Queen’s university recently wrote a column in the National Post outlining his concerns with this requirement, which represents an unprecedented and perhaps unconstitutional case of compelled speech.

Lawyers acting in accordance with this mandatory requirement indicate through their compliance their agreement with the Law Society’s finding of systemic racism within the legal profession in Ontario (and, by implication, throughout Canada) and their individual guilt as members of that racist profession. In addition, they give up their right to private political and philosophical thought and to their own principles, accepting as alternatives the new ethical trinity of equality, diversity and inclusion (defined solely by race, sex, sexual identity, and ethnicity).

8. Corky

/  October 12, 2017

Oh,dear. Another socialist fail. Sweden’s economy is tanking. So much for high taxation and providing a caring socialist society. Even using capitalism, as Sweden has done in the past, looks unlikely to save them

Now just imagine Jacinda, Winston and the Greens in government… it would be a race to see which economy tanked the most before declaring bankruptcy.

/  October 12, 2017

hows Communist Chinas economic growth these last few decades…my good man?

/  October 12, 2017

Since China started using capitalist principles for production, and ditched 3 wheel bikes and hoes…its been a boomer..old boy.

/  October 12, 2017

what are…’ capitalist principles for production’?

/  October 12, 2017

They don’t involve communes, subsistence production and limited global trade.
            They do involve opening up the country to foreign traders and allowing the general population to immigrate so China can exert leverages of all types, all over the world.

/  October 12, 2017

Lucky she was transgender, eh Thumbs. If she had just been an ordinary hardworking women facing abuse she wouldn’t have had a chance.

9. sorethumb

/  October 12, 2017

Kiwi fella (Squeak) says the gender pronouns thing is about being kind. petersen says it is about power. Then Squeak says:
    I think we should be aiming for pluralism. This means recognising more than one set of fundamental principles; fostering independent cultural traditions of minorities and being willing to share power with people who are different from you
    …….
    Kind of looks like they are trying to turn the world on it’s head as in enforce a change of status. Making people use a particular word of their choosing is one way of doing that?