Open Forum – Friday

13 October 2017

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site will have to keep going through moderation due to abuses by a small number of malicious people.

/  October 13, 2017

I’m up at sparrow fart again, & I’ve just been musing – & I thort “aw heck, why not share it & set it again”?

So, what I found myself thinking – was about my childhood. And I realised – we weren’t lower middle class – we were poor. Everything we had was second-hand. Or hand-me-down, or St Vincent De Paul Op Shop. Dad had no ambition. He was a junior functionary in a local government department. He was well-known in the community, well respected for his work, & well-liked, but he was happy to stay put where he was & it was relatively low-paid.

He and mum had ambitions for their kids, not themselves.

He was a real man’s man, but he was loving & gentle with all four of his kids, had a great SOH, & ladies other than me mum clearly liked him too. She never ever had to worry about that. He mated for life.

He went to St Pats, Silverstream, & he boxed as a machinegunner in the Army during WW2. He gave me the screaming meemees the first time he sneaked me into the White Hart underage for a beer & he wanted to take on 4 hoons who’d annoyed him at the same time. Somebody cooled the situation down & we slipped out when the cops came in looking for underage drinkers.

The only time I ever took him on was when I was about 16, & an inch taller than him. He made some teasing remark about my hair being as long as a girl’s & I took umbrage. He put his fists up, said “come on then” & looked like a dork, which I told him. He gave me a fat lip. It was one punch. I still don’t know when he did it, & I refused to talk to him for 3 days.

I still miss him at times. But what I remember about him most, apart from that SOH, is that he stumbled on the secret of happiness early & never even knew it. When it took me decades.

/  October 13, 2017

Apart from that wanker, anybody else have a great dad too? What was he like?

YNZ POSTER SURVEY

In spite of, or maybe even because of, our political system – is New Zealand the best country in the world to live in?

Fkn oath – Uptick

Nope – there are better places – Downtick
    (Please state those better places in Comments)

3. Corky

/  October 13, 2017

Good ole Stenie with this juicy bit of new/old news. An ICPP official has admitted global warming Is a lie to redistribute wealth.

Ian Wishart said the same thing and took some stick for that. The bottom line is The United Nations is a rouge socialist organisation bent on a one world government. And to further that aim they can’t afford to have opposition from powerful nations, so those Nations have to be made poorer.

Trump is right. This is a Mickey Mouse organisation…as are most things socialist. And like most things socialist they are also dangerous..

Over 90% of scientists are obviously as thick as pIg shite.

4. Corky

/  October 13, 2017

Some more inconvenient truths.

5. lurcher1948

/  October 13, 2017

My man Winston Peters has the right in a spin, it’s a joy to read on kiwiblog,emotions span the full spectrum anger despair mad possible theories,my party vote was the right decision as it brings the worse out in people.

/  October 13, 2017

As usual Winston was also in no doubt as to who to vote for – himself. And now he needs to spin out the time for which he keeps the power and limelight. Once he signs up to a supporting role he returns to being a feather duster.

/  October 13, 2017

I am emailing you – & also Her Honour, Lady Possum – my flight details, Sir Alan.

I would be pleased if you would immediately see to it that my lodgings will be of an adequate standard for a person of my genteel persuasion, and, when acknowledging receipt, include also your grovelling apology due to me for your nonsense yesterday.

I remain, on the sofa
        As always
        Sir Gerald.

/  October 13, 2017

I have earmarked some particularly offensive stands of gorse for your engagement, Sir Gerald. That seems a suitable place to entertain your insubordinate delusions further.

Kind Regards to your sofa
          Sir Alan

/  October 13, 2017

I shall have my man call round on the weekend & set fire to all four of your car tyres to avoid any misunderstandings.
            Sir Gerald.

Today’s Word To The Wise

Don’t go down 20 foot high, steep, creeper-covered parengas* to check for large nga tuna** under sunken tree stumps in your flat-soled slippers, when you should know that that might not end well.

* stream bank
    * native long fin eel (pl)

7. sorethumb

Social Engineering.
    Study after study shows that diversity is related to a decline in social capital.
    Local Government NZ says that moving from an area of high social cohesion to one of low social cohesion “is as bad as taking up smoking”.
    The Social Scientists want to show that this can be overcome and throughout the Western world (ahem “migrant recieving countries”) they have devised strategies.

• sorethumb

/  October 13, 2017

I suppose some of it is o.k but Spoonley did a study of latinos living in San Francisco and (I think) only about 50% were “proud Americans”. In Auckland 95% of ethnic Chinese with residency see themselves as Chinese (Hong Konger, Taiwanese, Mainland Chinese) and 50% with citizenship. This trend didn’t decline with second generation Chinese.
      So why go to the effort? What do the members of Old NZ get out of it?
      Also polls on migration show significant difference between migrants (especially Chinese – in favour) and old NZ.

/  October 13, 2017

Ok. I am a proud Kiwi, at all times, & especially when overseas.

I am a pakeha first (an accident of birth) & a New Zealander second. The second is the most important to me.

You are getting somewhere with this one. Keep it simple.

/  October 13, 2017

I forgot to add, if it is not already obvious, I am a strong NZ nationalist.

/  October 13, 2017

La dame de chat n’est pas ici. Je suis désolé