Open Forum – Monday

20 November 2017

Forum

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site will have to keep going through moderation due to abuses by a small number of malicious people.

1. lurcher1948

/  November 20, 2017

Mike Hosking is on a roll with his relentless negativity against Labour this morning.This raises the question does he have the strength to keep it up for 9 years? or will he crash in a screaming heap.

2. robertguyton

/  November 20, 2017

Hate is a powerful motivator.

3. Patzcuaro

/  November 20, 2017

Early Christmas for Auckland homeowners today as new GVs released.

• I guess rates rises come about as often as Christmas.

• NOEL

/  November 20, 2017

Its called Rateable Value now. In the old days there was often a stark difference between GV and market value. Today the difference between RV and MV can be within 5 percent of each other, Three years ago my RV in Bay of Plenty was close to MV at 400,000 dollars. Now with the dribble on effect of the Auckland market its increased to 595,000 dollars.
      Land Value hasn’t moved anywhere near that.

I went to Council “consulation meetings” years ago when CV was foisted on ratepayers to replace land value.The most memorial contribution was an old guy who worked as a bailiff during the depression and had to removed people from their houses because they could not pay there rates during the last Captial Valuing period.

4. robertguyton

Pete George BANNED!!!

(From The Standard)
    “[3 day ban for flaming. Even in Open Mike you have to make some attempt to debate the politics and not just have a go at someone you disapprove of – weka]
    Oh, for Pete’s sake 🙂

/  November 20, 2017

Yes. Weka & others over there don’t like their hypocrisy being pointed out to them, especially when they’re in the middle demonstrating it.

• robertguyton

/  November 20, 2017

I know; it’s so unfair!! Pete’s the most reasonable guy on the planet!

/  November 20, 2017

I don’t think of it as unfair. I think it’s funny, Robert. We all know he’s just like a red rag to an enraged bull over at TS. If he went over there to genuinely congratulate someone on something they’d shriek that he was being provocative!

Their most frequent complaint & insult is that he’s beige, FFS! How fkn puerile is that??

They just don’t grasp that someone can be anything other than a rabid lefty like most of them or a raving righty like the few pet righties who are tolerated.

They’re in heaven because, through sheer accident & the machiavellian manoeuvrings of Winston, Labour against all odds has formed a government. I’m all for giving the new government a chance, but Jesus they’re looking pretty dopey just at the moment. I hope you’ve got plenty of money to spare, I think they’re going to wanting it from us, if not through invome tax, then through lots of other levies or indirect taxes.

/  November 20, 2017

Pity Pete doesn’t do some banning of his own. Still, it speaks of a persons calibre by the way they act.

• Pickled Possum

/  November 20, 2017

hahahahahahahaha de ha that is such a great gif I’m gonna send it to the next person that can handel it. …Or Salvador it

/  November 20, 2017

That Gezza’s a cad, eh Pickled Possum. One more ”ha” and you can nearly laugh longer than Missy.

”That is such a great gif I’m gonna send it to the next person that can handle it.”

Send it to Robert. And this. Its all about calibre

”Gezza / November 20, 2017
            Given that it’s [deleted] Julie who’s demanding action & she’s a full on SJW I’m getting a bit nervous the speed limit might be dropped to 50kph …”

• Pickled Possum

/  November 20, 2017

Corkey That’s Handel … you know the music man.
              My Handel
              Your Handle ..
              Laff longer than Missy … Thank you.
              Once again that whooshing sound you hear,
              is the jet carrying the Point to
              the outter realms of space.
              Never to return.
              Oh Never mind.

/  November 20, 2017

Just a reference to her flashing angry eyes we she gets annoyed, bud.
              Terribly sorry Corky. Did I hurt your sensitive widdle feelings?

/  November 20, 2017

I’m sure there was a rebuke for me somewhere in that maize.

I prefer Erik Satie. Probably the Johnny Rotten of his time. Enjoy one of the simplest, most haunting introductions to a period piece.

• Pickled Possum

/  November 20, 2017

Erik!!! Love these piano’s times… ahem … remembers where she is and composes herself. If I had to pick out of any thing French He would be my it! Yep, but he died before my grandmother was born.
              Why do the French make the best music the best perfum the best wine the best pastries Blast them. …. yes thanks for that Corkster. Truely haunting and truely wonderba.

• My fave gif. Very apt around here

• lurcher1948

/  November 20, 2017

Hell is PG a bit of a radical out there in the blog world,he could become a mentor just saying

• Corky – Erik Satie is one of my favourite composers. He gives great rainy day film. film I especially like his Gnossienne no1

In the contemporaries I believe Yann Thiersen has a similar vibe. He wrote the theme song for AMELIE and much of the other music. Very French!

/  November 20, 2017

Cool. I have many of his works but I haven’t come across the one you posted. Thanks.

A most unusual chap. Would loved to have met him. I find him fascinating.

Spent an afternoon trying to get his vibe on a guitar. Tried everything to no avail. Then one day I was messing around with 6ths and out popped some of Satie’s vibes. I thought he used to play off key to get that discord as heard in his Nocturne compositions. But it seems those ghastly 6th’s holds some of the answers to getting his sound.

• Good on you Corky. I am very impressed. I’ve seen some Satie on guitar – here’s my Gnossienne 1

Your gymnopedie on guitar

Divine clips.

• Just a periodic check to see if hypocrisy and double standards still rule there.

5. lurcher1948

Still struggling to come to terms over on kiwiblog, Shes our PM, Jacinda Adern,
    starboard

ARDERN..
    NOT OUR PRIME MINISTER
    Thumb up 42 Thumb down 4 LOG IN TO REPLY REPORTNOVEMBER 20, 2017 8:01AM

/  November 20, 2017

You need to stop going to Kiwiblog, Lurchy. It’s bad for you socialist health. Just think of the state you’d be in if a snap election was called.

• Just because she’s the PM, you can be as sure as you were about the Nats, Ms Ardern doesn’t even pretend to represent the interests of the largest NZ voting bloc.

So while #notmyPM may not legitimately describe the status quo, it sure as eggs is the way at least 45% people feel.

• robertguyton

/  November 20, 2017

New Zealand’s largest voting block couldn’t win the election, because it takes more than being the biggest under one banner – the banner system has changed and those who cling to the old rules, fail to win, hence the colour of the Opposition’s flag (blue!).

• I thought that was adequately expressed in my post. The NZ electoral mandate has indeed delivered her, but she does not represent the larger voting bloc, has never claimed she would and isn’t making any effort to do appeal to the centrists.

National voters are, despite it exercising your good self, by far and away the largest bloc and I’m picking there’s a good many NZFirsters and Labourites who have are not on board with much of her policy.

The stand out would have to be the Manus Island queue jumpers. There are a large number of NZers who have no idea why she is pointing a pious finger at Australia and trying to show them up on the world stage.

1175 men, women and children perished between 2009-2014 thanks to Labor’s Rudd/GIllard and the success at stopping that is to be commended. Closing down the evil that are people traders, smugglers is also laudable.

Another factor in play is her arrogant in setting out to impose her will on a sovereign nation and our closest friend Australia over Manus, is also not be winning any converts to the #myPM side of things.

I am unconvinced by the WWYL politics practised by the left and every time I see the gotcha stuff spouted I am reminded of why I left the party.

/  November 20, 2017

What does WWYL stand for?

• Pickled Possum

When Will You Learn?

• We won you lost . A phrase and attitude beloved of the lefties

/  November 20, 2017

Aw come on Trav, that’s to be expected from any party follower whose party gets into government. National voters would be flinging that one about in equal measure at any disgruntled lefties if the Nats had got in again. That’s been a stock standard-type refrain from righties & our own alt righty here to Labour and Green supporters for all the years National was the Government. If you’re telling me you wouldn’t have been saying the same thing to whining lefties, or a variation of it, if the Nats won – I don’t believe you.

@ Possum. Lol

/  November 20, 2017

While what you say there is true Robert in the sense that if the block of voters who voted for Parties other than National whose favoured Parties were able to form a Government, then arguing that National’s 45% of voters should have carried the day is pointless. The new coalition has the percentage of votes to be a legitimate government number wise, & it also indicates more voters DIDN’T want National in goverment for the next 3 years than did.

But we don’t know what coalition preferences those viters might’ve had in mind, & I do wonder sometimes how many of them would’ve voted the same way if they knew how many policies & bottom lines (predictably) Winston would just toss out the window, leavng them with egg on their faces for being the mugs they were, & how many of Labour’s would’ve been ok with knowing Labour would happily take dozens of dodgy muslim “refugees” & sign up to the TTP, albeit in slightly modified form.

Nevertheless, I’m happy to sit back & watch the show up until the next budget. The new government should be as up to speed as they ever will be by then. I’m not happy with some of what they’re doing, but then National didn’t get my vote either, for the same reason.

I don’t want to hear too much more of Jacinda “sensing” what New Zealanders want though. Imo, she doesn’t have a clue. They sure don’t want that Manus Island lot, nor do most think we’ll be leading, & the rest of the world will be following little old NZ’s government. It’ll come down to our wallets, stats, results, & getting actual value for money from any largesse with taxpayers’ money as they implement their concept of (potentially profligate) social investment.

Also whether the parties can avoid falling out with each other before the end of this term. We need smart Ministers. Not sure how many we’ve got yet.

Next lot of polls should be fascinating.

• Gezza. Yes I am partisan, but seriously, did or have you ever seen right wingers talk about sucking up a loss to the degree this sentiment is expressed by the left.? A cursory look at TM opinions or TheStandard will bear me out.

I’m hard out partisan, but I like to think I’m not of the WWYL mentality.

/  November 20, 2017

Yeah I saw plenty enuf when I used to visit other blogs trav. As long as you keep crying in your wine that “we was robbed”, however much you like to spell out in detail why you think that, you’re going to get WWYL from the odd leftie who hasn’t much else to contribute in the way of analysis & just wants to rub it in that we’ve got another government & you weren’t robbed – it’s just how the cookie crumbled.

These days I hardly ever look at other blogs, I just eventually found their posters so much more mind-numbingly & tiresomely predictable than here & realised I was skipping over a lot of them. Occasionally I might click on a link when Corky’s shilling for WO, but even then that’s mostly just to have a laff at what’s become of poor old woebegone Cameron.

If Labour totally screw things up in our international relations, the economy tanks, unemployment rises, inequality increases or doesn’t reduce, they don’t get demonstrably measurable improvements in housing, health, mental health, education achievement, skills training, tradie availability, overall productivity, employment rates, crime – including recidivism & incarceration rates etc they’ll be gone in 3 years – or if the whole coalition collapses, sooner than that.

I very much doubt that, whatever they do, they’ll totally wreck the place in that time though. Too early to panic imo. Not too early for righties to scream the sky is falling already though.

• When did I say “we were robbed”? I’ve hated on the man without an electorate from Herne Bay a tad, but I accept the result.

… I accept the result
              Yeah, righto trav mate. That was clear from this I guess? 😀

• I hardly think that a poster is evidence I’ve personally voiced this opinion. They are the government EOS. Just don’t expect me to like it. 👍🤢🤢

/  November 20, 2017

I was speaking metaphorically & I’ll leave it at that, trav.

6. robertguyton

/  November 20, 2017

Snap election! High comedy! Or perhaps, high hopes? Is that what you’ve pinned your hopes on, Corky? A snap election? Faint chance, I’d say (when I wasn’t saying, no chance 🙂
    I’m astonished that the “not our Government!” has managed to drag its sorry ar*e along to this point in time, helped along by the worst examples of sore losers I’ve ever seen – how embarrassing to still have reality-deniers declaring they were robbed (looking at you, Bill English). And yes, Gezza, funny, not unfair (forgot the /sarc tag). Beige is the favourite description for Pete at TS, but wan is pretty popular too 🙂 I think Pete does a good job here, amongst his friends. The TS crowd is less forgiving of Pete’s foibles.

/  November 20, 2017

‘Snap election! High comedy” Or perhaps, high hopes? Is that what you’ve pinned your hopes on, Corky? ”

Of course not. However, with this coalition it’s always a possibility. More so then usual.

Allow me to go through this shit one more time. I didn’t vote. And I wanted National to lose this election. Call it a punch in the face on the way to obtaining a long tenure in government.🖕🏼

• robertguyton

/  November 20, 2017

I wouldn’t really trust the advice of a guy who would punch them self, metaphorically, in the face; I’d be looking for someone more reasonable to get advice from, quite frankly. And a non-voter, advising on who to back, politically? I wouldn’t be listening to that chap about much at all!

• I hardly think taking the high moral ground and urging others to be “reasonable” will work.

As Mama used to say:

Traveller ….

/  November 20, 2017

Look, I agree Robert. You know the way back to ”The Standard’. I mean, someone wasting their time engaging a non voter in debate, after criticising said non voter, has serious ”identity issues.”

7. Corky

Here’s something for Lurchy, Gezza and other Trump critics. Lol 👍

/  November 20, 2017

So what? No doubt the relevance of that info & comparison is clear to you & I’m happy for you Corks. But it’s of no interest to me how Trump’s popularity rates against anybody else’s. Tillerson’s still right about him.

8. duperez

Jonathan Pie quotes Australia:

9. Corky

/  November 20, 2017

The government was getting absolutely rubbished on talk back this afternoon. Absolute venom was being` spilled. If this trend extrapolates into the wider public, then this government may be gone within 3 years. The coming polls will be critical for public perception of this government.

Interesting.
      Which station, Corks?
      Who was the host?
      Was the host rubbishing them too?
      The callers – were they National, Labour, Green or NZF voters?

• duperez

/  November 20, 2017

Ardern gets rubbished in the feedback comments on the Stuff story about the Tame interview too.
      The venom towards her and the anguish that she got to be PM are palpable. And of course the sheer desperation to grab anything and every opportunity to disparage her.

/  November 20, 2017

I’ll tell ya what mate, I saw an excerpt of Tame’s train wreck of an interview (why can’t they bring back Nice One or some other kiddie programme & move him to that, where he belongs?) on 1ewes. Jacinda pronounces “something” as “sumpthink”. Fark. No wonder nobody talked to her for long overseas recently.

• Even worse Gezz is opperchoonitee

• PartisanZ

/  November 20, 2017

“Sumpthingk” is the correct Kiwi pronunciation. S’like everythingk else ending in “thingk” … the ‘gees’ almost silent …

• What about plitical and plice? The “o” vanishes

/  November 20, 2017

I wooden mind so much if she didden also keep talking about doing sumpthink about inequalidy as wunna her pryorrideez. Summa 1ewes’s female reporders aren’t much bedda. How the fark do they even get TO flippin universiddy, led alone ged a freakin degree when they all sound so flamin illiderate? For God’s sake, can’t they read.

I blame Jacinda’s parents, you know. They obviously couldn’t spell Jacinta, & this is the bloody result. John Key wasn’t a helluva lot bedda, I hasten to add. In another 50 years, at this rate, Kiwi English will be a foreign flippin language.

• Now, now.

The NZ accent in its variations is cringeworthy sometimes. The currently reviled ( for dissing Jacinda) Tom Sainsbury really highlights it with his mimicking. He does good Paula, ok Blenglish but his best by far is Soimon Brudges

10. dupe. It’s politics – it’s not nice , but this tame Tame questioning is nothing compared to what she’d going to get. They’ll go for every chink in the armour and its only going to get worse. She’s a woman and that’s grounds for special hatred. It’s not if, it’s when.

Remember Clark, Shipley, Maggie T, Gillard (shocking!)May now and on and on. It’s so much worse with Twitter and blogs.

She’s lucky to the degree that she and Clark Gayford are literally best mates with a lot of the media players. Jesse Mulligan, Tom Sainsbury, half the Seven Sharp crowd, but it’ll still not be pleasant. They’re serious mates with the hipster liberal circles. The Grey Lynn set. However there are plenty of journos who’ll sniff a chance to raise their own brand’s awareness in the early vacuum. Is Jack Tame fancying himself as the next Mike Hosking?

She’ll wish she’d never said she “never lies”. That was naive. I almost feel sorry for her. Whale has gone nuclear and Farrar will be busy compiling every diagram and sensible post he can to highlight Labour’s flaws. They’ll be like hounds at the door and when they smell blood watch out.