Open Forum – Tuesday

21 November 2017

Forum

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site will have to keep going through moderation due to abuses by a small number of malicious people.

1. lurcher1948

/  November 21, 2017

Jack Tame defends POTUS#45 and attacks his PM??? Is he a trumper…

2. Corky

/  November 21, 2017

Somethings wrong. I haven’t received any snide remarks. Nary a hint of sarcasm. And outright nastiness..nowhere in sight. WHERE’S GEZZA? 😨

3. patupaiarehe

/  November 21, 2017

Since there are a few clever individuals who frequent this site, I’m interested to know the answer to question one. I got 90% in School Cert Mathematics, and even though I can’t remember how to do the calculation, I’m pretty certain that the question is missing a vital piece of info, which is the overall height of the swing. My eldest came up with an answer, but reckons he had to make an assumption to do so.

/  November 21, 2017

I tap out. Only 30% for SC maths. Ironically, I now enjoy relearning maths. Al will be our best bet.

• Conspiratoor

/  November 21, 2017

Forget the way the swing hangs. There are two triangles, an outer one and a smaller inner. You know enough about each triangle to use Pythagoras to find the base of the smaller triangle. Double it and you have your answer

• patupaiarehe

/  November 21, 2017

So what’s the answer then C? As I said earlier, there is not enough information.

• Conspiratoor

/  November 21, 2017

I would normally charge for this patu but I’m rather fond of you so I’ll make an exception. Mildly disappointed you didn’t try to work with what I gave you though

• patupaiarehe

/  November 21, 2017

My son already did my calculations for me 😛 Your approach is logical, but there isn’t enough info supplied. As my son said to me earlier, “You sound like you are making excuses for not knowing the answer!”…

• Conspiratoor

/  November 21, 2017

Tell your son to extend the phrase ‘if the shape of the rope above the seat stays the same… ‘as ….

• patupaiarehe

/  November 21, 2017

You’re engaging in diversion C. My son already has his answer, what’s yours???

• Conspiratoor

/  November 21, 2017

I don’t believe your son has the answer patu. otherwise you wouldn’t have asked but I’m happy to play along. Riddle me this. Would your arse fit on a seat approximately 0.4619m wide?

• patupaiarehe

/  November 21, 2017

Nope, & my wife’s definitely wouldn’t either! My son thinks the answer is 0.89, which is approximately twice your ‘guess’.

/  November 22, 2017

I agree with you, patu. Unless there was more information given the answer is not determined. For example, imagine the rope greatly shortened so that the suspension beam is close to the swing. The curve would not allow the swing to be attached as the board would be too short and would need to be almost 6m long.

The NZQA fuckwits have fucked up again trying to be clever.

4. patupaiarehe

/  November 21, 2017

At least you’re honest Corky. I pointed out to my ‘genius’ son, that the rope appears to be going thru slots, rather than holes, and that the weight of the board would flatten out the curve of the rope under it. He laughed, and told me that I sounded like I was making excuses for not knowing the answer! Bloody kids! 😀

/  November 21, 2017

Perhaps it’s a very stiff rope !

Lewis Carroll, a mathematical genius, could well have agreed with you; he had one test that he used to give his students (real students, not school pupils) about if so many men built a wall ? miles long in so much time how long would it take (an enormous number of men) to build the same wall…they would work it out. When they told him the answer, he would say that they appeared not to have noticed that the wall would have gone up like a flash of lightning and that most of the second lot of men couldn’t have got anywhere near it. Yes, I did work this equation out and not realise that the answer was ‘correct’ but ridiculous and in fact impossible.

• patupaiarehe

/  November 21, 2017

Great story Kitty. Your point seems to be that you don’t know the answer either. 😀

/  November 22, 2017

through not thru…don’t mention..it.

• patupaiarehe

/  November 22, 2017

Quite correct Blazer, well spotted. Don’t forget to start your sentences with a…capital…letter 😛

5. Ok. This is slightly unhinged.

/  November 21, 2017

I think that it’s a common phenomenon-an oldie that still works as well as ever.

Look at the Moonies-at Hitler-at wossname at Centrepoint-at any cult.

/  November 22, 2017

I see Newsweek has deleted all the gratuitous references to Trump in that story. Obviously originally written by a TDS sufferer.

• MaureenW

/  November 22, 2017

And they wonder why people choose alternative media sources. Total trash.

6. Serious question

7. Kitty Catkin

/  November 21, 2017

Wholet two mozzies onto the ark ?

Bloody things. There’s one in the room; I’d better shut the windows before the whole whanau comes in to join him.

Who let.

• patupaiarehe

/  November 21, 2017

Don’t ask me to provide a link Kitty, but I read somewhere on the interweb that mozzies are more attracted to some people than others. When my ‘tribe’ go to the beach, only three of us need bother with insect repellant, but if us three don’t, we are ‘insect magnets’.

/  November 23, 2017

I have discovered that, too-I am a mozzie magnet.

I hate it when one lands on me and when I swat it blood splats out. WHOSE IS IT ? Ughhhhh !!!! Or when one’s swatted on the wall and it looks as if a tomato has been thrown at the wall.

Memo-when you paint, no matter how hot the day is, close all the doors and windows as soon as it’s dark if any of the paint is still wet-unless you want an interestingly textured effect of tiny insects stuck to it.

I read of a man in the US who spraypainted something at dusk and left it to dry overnight…only to find in the morning that his painted items were so covered with insects that he had to spend hours of hard work to remove them and the ruined paintwork. I couldn’t do that, so I just painted over the insex and hoped that nobody would notice the odd texture.