Trump pushing weapon sales to Middle East

You would have to be cynical to think that this has anything to do with The ‘virtue-bombing’ of Syria.

Arming the world: Inside Trump’s ‘Buy American’ drive to expand weapons exports

In a telephone call with the emir of Kuwait in January, U.S. President Donald Trump pressed the Gulf monarch to move forward on a $10 billion fighter jet deal that had been stalled for more than a year.

With this Oval Office intervention, the details of which have not been previously reported, Trump did something unusual for a U.S. president – he personally helped to close a major arms deal. In private phone calls and public appearances with world leaders, Trump has gone further than any of his predecessors to act as a salesman for the U.S. defense industry, analysts said.

Trump’s personal role underscores his determination to make the United States, already dominant in the global weapons trade, an even bigger arms merchant to the world, U.S. officials say, despite concerns from human rights and arms control advocates.

Those efforts will be bolstered by the full weight of the U.S. government when Trump’s administration rolls out a new “Buy American” initiative as soon as this week aimed at allowing more countries to buy more and even bigger weapons. It will loosen U.S. export rules on equipment ranging from fighter jets and drones to warships and artillery, the officials said.

Human rights and arms control advocates warn that the proliferation of a broader range of advanced weaponry to more foreign governments could increase the risk of arms being diverted into the wrong hands and fueling violence in regions such as the Middle East and South Asia.

/  April 18, 2018

Just another arms dealer. Doesn’t give a shit.

2. Griff

/  April 18, 2018

Come, you masters of war
    You that build the big guns
    You that build the death planes
    You that build all the bombs
    You that hide behind walls
    You that hide behind desks
    I just want you to know
    I can see through your masks

You that never done nothing
    But build to destroy
    You play with my world
    Like it’s your little toy
    You put a gun in my hand
    And you hide from my eyes
    And you turn and run farther
    When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
    You lie and deceive
    A world war can be won
    You want me to believe
    But I see through your eyes
    And I see through your brain
    Like I see through the water
    That runs down my drain

You fasten all the triggers
    For the others to fire
    Then you set back and watch
    While the death count gets higher
    You hide in your mansion
    While the young people’s blood
    Flows out of their bodies
    And is buried in the mud

You’ve thrown the worst fear
    That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    You ain’t worth the blood
    That runs in your veins

How much do I know
    To talk out of turn
    You might say that I’m young
    You might say I’m unlearned
    But there’s one thing I know
    Though I’m younger than you
    Even Jesus would never
    Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
    Is your money that good
    Will it buy you forgiveness
    Do you think that it could
    I think you will find
    When your death takes its toll
    All the money you made
    Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
    And your death will come soon
    I will follow your casket
    By the pale afternoon
    And I’ll watch while you’re lowered
    Down to your deathbed
    And I’ll stand over your grave
    ‘Til I’m sure that you’re dead

/  April 18, 2018

Unlike Obama’s, Dylan’s Nobel was well-earned.

/  April 18, 2018

That is a meaningless comparison, the two categories are quite different.

/  April 18, 2018

Rubbish. Dylan had a lifetime of exceptional contributions. Obama had a few months of aspirational platitudes and even he couldn’t figure out why he got it.

The contrast is vivid. The different fields are irrelevant.

/  April 18, 2018

There are already lots of weapons in the wrong hands in the Middle East. Hard to argue it should be left to the Russians and Iranians to decide who gets them. That could well be seen as “virtue signalling”.

/  April 18, 2018

That seems a poor justification for selling them. The fact that other people are doing it doesn’t make it all right.

/  April 18, 2018

The fact that your friends might be taken out if you don’t probably is.

/  April 18, 2018

I suspect that the sellers are not too fussy about who they sell them to or where they are used.

/  April 18, 2018

For advanced systems I expect they are very fussy, or at least their governments are.

4. seer

/  April 18, 2018

FUKUS’s Friday the 13th bombing of Syria has done a lot for Russia’s reputation as an ally and its arms industry. But then I guess the “west” will be forced to play catch up. Militarism and its financing is again the winner.

/  April 18, 2018

US fighter/bomber jets, base staff & ship crew walk the entire concrete runway or steel deck regularly checking for any items or debris that could get sucked into air intakes and wreck their planes.

Russian equivalents – can land on a road or some still even a level field, their runways are hardly ever inspected like this – they have flaps for the intakes to prevent ingestion of damaging debris on takeoff.

• David

/  April 18, 2018

“they have flaps for the intakes to prevent ingestion of damaging debris on takeoff.”

How do they get the huge amount of air into the engine then? All aircraft are vulnerable to runway objects regardless of it getting sucked into the engine, Concord being are rather good example.

5. Zedd

/  April 18, 2018

I wonder if ‘old nukes’ are next on his list.. the rumors are that a few went missing after the USSR broke up & are still ‘floating about’ somewhere.. maybe in Afghanistan ? 😦

6. David

/  April 18, 2018

“There’s good bomb business in the Middle East in particular, even under the guise of virtue bombs.”

Trump’s policy s very clear. Show them what they can do, then sell them all they want so they can use them on each other and save the US the cost of having to bomb the entire middle east themselves. Smart.

7. Zedd

/  April 19, 2018

I hear Mr Ts real strategy is to just ‘Prove he is the BEST, most FANTASTIC, TREMENDOUS, SPECTACULAR, AMAZING PotUS, EVER.. at eveything he does’.. inc. Weapons sales to ‘Saudi-Israelia’ & others :/

8. PartisanZ

/  April 19, 2018

Weapons sales is what the war industry is all about I guess … ?