Media watch – Wednesday

6 June 2018

MediaWatch

Media Watch is a focus on New Zealand media, blogs and social media. You can post any items of interested related to media.

A primary aim here is to hold media to account in the political arena. A credible and questioning media is an essential part of a healthy democracy.

A general guideline – post opinion on or excerpts from and links to blog posts or comments of interest, whether they are praise, criticism, pointing out issues or sharing useful information.

Previous Post

16 Comments

  1. Blazer

     /  June 6, 2018

    the leopards never change their spots….thieves,charlatans,amoral parasites..ANZ now has Key as chairman…how….

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12065040

  2. Blazer

     /  June 6, 2018

    Fran O’….on the money…but its always…too late..
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12065099

  3. High Flying Duck

     /  June 6, 2018

    Advice was that banning permits would probably increase global emissions:

    “A document released under the Official Information Act (OIA) shows MBIE on February 27 advised the Minister of Energy and Resources, Megan Woods, to limit the 2018 Block Offer to onshore and offshore Taranaki.

    In other words, continue to allow oil and gas companies to apply for exploration permits, but limit this to in and off the coast of Taranaki.

    It also recommended the Government commit to reviewing what to do in the Pegasus/East Coast and Great South/Canterbury regions once exploration milestones under existing permits had been met.

    Once it found out the Minister wanted to go further by banning new offshore oil and gas exploration, it on April 10 explicitly warned that a ban would be “detrimental to a number of public policy objectives”.

    It said it would increase risks around security of supply, increase costs to consumers, decrease economic activity in Taranaki and reduce Crown revenues from lower future royalties.

    MBIE warned a ban would have a “negligible impact” on reducing domestic greenhouse gas emissions and would “likely increase” global emissions, as the methanol produced by Methanex using gas from New Zealand would be replaced by methanol produced using coal in China.

    “It also removes the opportunity, both domestically and internationally, or any future gas discovery being used to displace coal,” MBIE said.

    It advised that the Government ensure existing explorers be guaranteed that should they wish to move to production, they could apply for mining permits.

    Woods took this advice, yet on April 12 announced there would be no further offshore oil or gas exploration permits granted, meanwhile onshore permits would be limited to Taranaki and phased out over three years.

    Neither Cabinet nor the industry had been consulted before this decision was made.

    In a statement accompanying the release of 13 documents under the OIA on Tuesday, Woods admitted the first time she sought advice on Block Offer 2018 was February 19.

    “As you know, this decision was about taking political leadership to act on climate change and its flow on impacts,” she said.

    “The decision was a political decision, looking out 30 years and taking steps towards 2050 being emission neutral.”

    https://www.interest.co.nz/news/94123/document-reveals-mbie-advised-energy-and-resources-minister-megan-woods-limit-oil-and-gas

    https://www.beehive.govt.nz/sites/default/files/2018-06/01_Petroleum%20allocation%20scenarios_1.pdf

  4. High Flying Duck

     /  June 6, 2018

    Also interesting that Jacinda on Hosking this morning contradicted Megan Woods and Stuart Nash by saying there was a cabinet vote on this issue when they have both said there was not.

    • Blazer

       /  June 6, 2018

      it was an informal…vote.

      • High Flying Duck

         /  June 6, 2018

        Is that like being half pregnant?

  5. Joe Bloggs

     /  June 6, 2018

    The Fox “News” propaganda machine revealed again revealed for its fakery. At least they had the grace to admit it this time.

    • High Flying Duck

       /  June 6, 2018

      Fox News apologized Tuesday for a segment that implied Philadelphia Eagles players were protesting the national anthem when they were actually kneeling in prayer prior to games.

      “During our report about President Trump cancelling the Philadelphia Eagles trip to the White House to celebrate their Super Bowl win, we showed unrelated footage of players kneeling in prayer,” Christopher Wallace, executive producer of “Fox News @ Night” with Shannon Bream, said in a statement.

      “To clarify, no members of the team knelt in protest during the national anthem throughout regular or post-season last year. We apologize for the error,” he added.

      • Blazer

         /  June 6, 2018

        this sums up the U.S media platform…

        • Gezza

           /  June 6, 2018

          Good one brother. Brilliant commentary ! 😀

          • MaureenW

             /  June 6, 2018

            Yep, best to avoid the scripted bullshit parading as “ewes”

        • High Flying Duck

           /  June 6, 2018

          That was a zinger of a line sent by central command for all the independent stations to regurgitate.

          • Blazer

             /  June 6, 2018

            easy to see how to reach and sway…the masses…eh.

  6. Joe Bloggs

     /  June 6, 2018