Mansplaining versus femsplaining

The term mansplaining has become a bit if a thing. It seems to be used as a put down, a along with a ‘piss off or shut up’ sort of attitude.

I got involved in a  wee exchange on Twitter today that result in by far the most activity I have been associated with there.

I haven’t seen This person before and I’m not even sure how they came up on my Twitter feed. But I asked:

I finished with “I intended genuine discussion, but I don’t think I’ll try to explain.”

And left it at that. But the retweets and likes (most not of my comments) from around the world have been active all day.

And some comments hinting I should be quiet and butt out, or shouldn’t have butted in in the first place.

This isn’t an attempt at an explanation! I just thought it was quite a funny experience.

1. That person hasn’t enough to do with her time….and is very sexist.

• Strong For Life

/  July 20, 2018

Today, It is only sexist, ageist or racist if uttered by an old white man. Everyone else can say what they like without fear of recriminations.

/  July 20, 2018

Arrogantly un-self-aware. She certainly wouldn’t see the funny side, PG.

I presume explaining the joke to her would be mansplaining?

• Yeah, I didn’t try to explain, it was funny just watching her trying to explain and then a flock of oblivious supporters.

/  July 20, 2018

Pop a man into the “she” box & the diagram works just as well for many men I’ve met over the years.

They’re just called know-alls.

Doesn’t matter what your gender is, they do it because they’re know-alls, show-offs.

Most of us just say thanks I already know that (or something a little more irritated, like “tell me something I don’t know, mate” & move on.

This mansplaining outrage crap is the sort of bullshit men are now starting more & more to react against.

/  July 21, 2018

Must be a bureaucracy thing, G. I struggle to think of many perpetrators I’ve met. The only one I can think of recently claims to have been a Wellington big shot though a friend says he was actually kicked out of it.

/  July 21, 2018

Most people would quickly learn not to try to tell you anything Al.
            Especially if they read this blog. 😉

/  July 21, 2018

PS: I’ve just realised why it doesn’t happen to you …

/  July 21, 2018

I don’t work in Wellington?

No, it’s not that.

/  July 21, 2018

I had a feeling you would head in this direction.

/  July 21, 2018

I had a feeling you’d say that.

/  July 21, 2018

At least we’re not mansplaining.

/  July 21, 2018

*femplaining is when feminisers complain about encountering a know-all.

/  July 21, 2018

PS: Al, now I think about it – I was actually, for a short time, a fully qualified know-all – during my late teenage years, according to my mother & father.

/  July 21, 2018

I suspect getting married is often a quick cure, G.

/  July 21, 2018

about 5 years ago an old friend branded me a know all,and said he had been wanting to tell me that for years…I took it as a compliment.

True. 🤔 Nor are we femplaining. 😎

/  July 21, 2018

*Oops – went in wrong place. The random WordPress Wilkinson Effect strikes again.

4. This has been remarkable, it has still got plenty of legs on Twitter, there will have been thousands of responses by now.

One of them:

The ‘imbalance of power’ thing.

I bet there’s a few husbands and partners around who could say something about imbalances of power and having things explained a lot.

/  July 21, 2018

Why is there a power imbalance? Are women more stupid?

No. They are more wise.

/  July 21, 2018

I think Ms Goodwin and friends may have disproved that.

/  July 21, 2018

Please put your good lady on the line, I’d like to get her opinion on this:
            Why is there a power imbalance? Are women more stupid?

/  July 22, 2018

The correct answer of course is that except for physical strength there is no overall power imbalance.

/  July 22, 2018

And, in my experience, that is what most women already know. And that is why I say they are wise.

They just identify what they want out of life, what makes them happiest, what that requires them to do, and just get on with it. They don’t put up with shit. And they tell you that.

More often than not, having power over others is not what most women want or need to be happy.

/  July 22, 2018

nature gave women something very powerful ,a…vagina.

/  July 21, 2018

Now that I’ve time to think about it, power was equally shared between my wife & I.
      My experience in our marriage was of more often hearing “I shouldn’t have to explain it: you should know!

The incidence of this happening reduced with time, & most markedly after we both read “Men are from Mars: Women are from Venus”.

5. Blazer

Jesus bloody Christ !

A certain amount of rejigging of language to recognise some occupations & things associated with males traditionally doing work that women once dad is ok & easily enuf done. Most of the professions are already gender non-specific.

Lawyers, doctors, nurses, architects, engineers, service workers. Drain access cover.

Many of our judges are women. Women are starting to dominate law studies – it’s inevitable that more of them will become senior partners or start thrir own forms. Many already do have their own firms specialising in ares like Family Law.

The senior surgeon who operated on ma’s bowel cancer was female: all the residents under her control were male, although other other surgeons at Welly hospital I think are male. Most of the GPs at my medical centre are females, (all those I’ve met are married or partnered to other high income earners; most of them work 3 day weeks & have lots of holidays overseas, at least yearly & they’re good at their jobs).

None of the girls I grew up & and/or went to school with as women will ever accept they are inferior to any man, & none of us believes, or would even be stupid enuf to tell, them they are. Amongst them are some some of us don’t particularly get on with & some we do. Just as it is with males. And its the same for them amongst their groups.

This particular professor epitomises just how silly some extremist feminists have become. My female school friend colleagues would agree that calling a female mail deliverer a mailman is stupid, but if they saw someone suggest that Manhattan should be called Th Big Apple instead, just because the letters M A N are in Manhattan, like that airhead ( a freakin college professor??) does they’d roll their eyes & ask if dinner was going to be much longer because it’s your turn & they have it on the table by now when they’re cooking.

/  July 21, 2018

*Damn. I know I pressed the reply button under Blazer’s video post above. The WordPress Wilkinson Effect strikes again!