Open Forum – Monday

6 August 2018

Forum

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site may be limited.

Next Post

/  August 6, 2018

Put your fatigues on, Lurchy ( urban pattern ). The culture wars are coming.

1. Corky

/  August 6, 2018

Corky On The Picket Line.

And so on my day off from blog duties I decided to try and break my bike speed record. That would involve sprinting for one km and not dropping below 30km/h for the distance.

With deep breathing accomplished, I was getting up to speed when I saw discarded placards outside the front entrance to my local school. That intrigued me. Given the time was just past 1 pm I surmised the teachers had be protesting in their own time and hadn’t gotten around to asking some poor kid to bring their placards inside.

I couldn’t help it, a feeling came over me similar to the one that drew me to the nurses strike.
    I slowed my bike down and made sure it was in low gear ( that proved crucial), dismounted and looked at the placards. Most were typically unimaginative: ” Support Teachers..Honk.”
    But one took my fancy: ”Children Can’t Come First If Teachers Come Last.” Damn fine placard obviously belonging to a ” Rightie teacher.”

So I looked around, all clear…I held it up. First few cars went passed; no response. Then honk after honk. I only received one negative reaction from an old couple who said I should be ashamed to be a teacher dressed as I was and wearing a bike helmet.

Sadly, the gig came to an end when I caught sight of a strident matron teacher, followed by a male teacher heading my way. I knew they had worked me out as a deadbeat piss taking prat who was impinging on their good reputation. I put that beautiful placard down and high tailed it down the road. Talk about ungrateful.

My days of annoying people on picket lines are over.

2. David

/  August 6, 2018

Lots of coverage about Don Jnrs meeting with the Russian woman peddling dirt on Clinton..so what Hilary funded a British spy to use Russian intelligence to concoct a fake dossier but that seems to be fine.
    I thought there may have been some coverage on the papers released Friday which showed the FBI on 11 separate occasions paid Steele while he was concocting the unverified and fake dossier that was used in the FISA court to start spying on the oppositions campaign.
    Its funny how civil rights and bad behaviour from the intelligence agencies is over looked because it was aimed at Trump.

3. Corky

/  August 6, 2018

The vagaries of High IQ. BTW .. If anyone was listening to Leighton this morning and can remember the name of the researcher that did an IQ experiment comparing foster children and their IQ with that of their birth parents….could they please post it.

4. Zedd

/  August 6, 2018

I just watched the facebook feed of the ‘Winter debate’ from the cannabis reform group ‘Start the Conversation’ (recently held in Akld):

maybe of interest

5. lurcher1948

RIGHTIES HERES A BLUDGER FROM CANADA…give give

/  August 6, 2018

The Left never realise they are the fascists, Lurch, until they win power and kill each other.

/  August 6, 2018

Don’t feel for me, Lurchy. Feel sadness for a democracy that doesn’t support free speech. That has fascist liberals in charge..who may turn against you, son, if you stray from ”right think.”

6. lurcher1948

/  August 6, 2018

Lets ruin the city joggers life on facebook who caused the death of the cow and calf after running through them, the herd 3 times in a farm park,Totara park(cow protecting calf) during calfing NAME AND SHAME on facebook get the 2 sacked…STUPID AUCKLANDERS,whats new, mass cesspool of idiots

/  August 6, 2018

It’s ok, we are staying away from your PM, Lurch.

• lurcher1948

/  August 6, 2018

Damn I could be eating those murdered cows next week…Steak ummm

/  August 6, 2018

I used to walk my dog thru that park very many times. Never had much trouble with the cattle although I was always wary of them. You couldn’t really avoid them if you wanted to do a circuit.

7. sorethumb

It’s a Man’s World: Mate Guarding and the Evolution of Patriarchy

/  August 6, 2018

Senior National MP Judith Collins is standing by a tweet linking to an article that made false claims about France’s age of consent laws.

The YourNewsWire.Com article was headlined “France Passes Law Saying Children Can Consent To Sex With Adults”. In fact, France has just passed a law that made it far easier to charge adults who had sex with children under 15 with rape. It has strengthened its consent laws, not weakened them.

Yet Collins asked Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern to “denounce this legislation of child sexual abuse”.
    More …

Now a good reporter will be seeking comment immediately from Simon Bridges.

9. Unfortunate placement; straight after a news promo about the Bali earthquake comes an ad for holidays there.

10. sorethumb

/  August 6, 2018

The “controversy” over journalist Sarah Jeong joining the New York Times, explained [by PatisanZ]

note “controversy”