Marama Davidson dismays with vulgar campaign

On Monday I posted about Marama Davidson’s use of what is generally refereed to as ‘the c-word’ in a speech in the weekend – Davidson and “women get a free pass” to use C word.

Davidson has picked up on publicity over her swearing, now campaigning on it.

‘Claiming it back’ is a bit dubious – I doubt that it is a word commonly used by women now, let alone when Davidson is trying to claim it back from.

She has been getting some coverage, generally negative.

Newstalk ZB: Marama Davidson defends calls to reclaim ‘c-word’

“Part of my responsibility as a leader was using my platform to resist misogyny and men using these words against us.”

I’m not sure that this will be an effective way to do that, going by the levels of derision online.

Newshub: Green co-leader Marama Davidson says New Zealand must reclaim the ‘C-word’

Green co-leader Marama Davidson is on a crusade to reclaim the word Kiwis find most offensive.

At an anti-racism rally attended by families, she dropped the ‘C-bomb’ not once, not twice, but three separate times. She was later unapologetic about her language.

“I think it’s a word that we have to disarm and reclaim”.

“That word is a powerful word for women and shouldn’t be used as abuse,” Ms Davidson says.

It has a history of being used as a term of abuse, a swear word. I’m not sure how it can now be turned into a “powerful word for women.”

From the video:

…she has barely any support from her parliamentary colleagues.

Marama Davidson and James Shaw, next to each other but miles apart, Shaw refusing to talk about his partner’s campaign to reclaim the c-word.

Jacinda Ardern:

“I certainly wouldn’t use that language”.

Winston Peters:

“This is my personal opinion, I think the use is appalling, it is terribly degrading”.

Paula Bennett:

“So she may want to reclaim whatever she likes. She doesn’t get to make that decision for other people’s children whoo were in that audience.”

Peters is old school, of a different generation where swearing in front of women was generally not done, but Ardern and Bennett are more Davidson’s age.

Marama Davidson:

“I can be called it in a death threat, but I’m not allowed to say it myself at a protest rally. I’m really happy to stand behind what I said”.

“Part of my responsibility as a leader is using my platform to resist misogyny and men using words against us.

Journalist: “Is reclaiming the C word now part of the Green Party kaupapa?”

“No it’s just something I said at a protest rally”.

Female Green MPs don’t look particularly supportive:

1. Geoffrey

/  August 9, 2018

Juvenile, disruptive, disgraceful and unwelcome. This silly woman should join the last Green who thought that the rules only applied to other people.

/  August 9, 2018

I think this one is going to backfire on Ms Davidson. I’ve only ever had one woman describe another woman to me as a cunt & it was a Maori lady whom I have the greatest of respect for & was thru sheer anger at what this woman had done to her kids.

• robertguyton

/  August 9, 2018

I think so too, Gezza, but that’s not what Marama is intending to do with the word. Reclaim doesn’t mean “use as a weapon against other people”; Marama is fully-immersed in the Green kaupapa of doing no harm to people, of peacefulness and respect. She’s wanting to take a weaponised word that concerns women and de-weaponise it. What others will do is something else altogether. Here on this thread you can see the twisting that will occur.

/  August 9, 2018

Well, she’s made her call. What’s happening is what can be expected. Metiria did the same.

• PDB

/  August 9, 2018

No Robert – like Turei she is trying to make a name for herself as some sort of public crusader and also is doubling-down in defending her ‘liking’ of a tweet that used the word, in the process digging herself a bigger hole.

• Zedd

/  August 9, 2018

The word ‘Marama’ in te reo often means the Moon.. BUT it can be used (Maramatanga) to mean to ‘enlighten’ or make clear; perhaps this is what Ms Marama is attempting to do ?

Listening to talkback ZB last night; the host used the words ‘Dick’ (male genitals) & ‘bugger’ (homosexual act) which are also SLANG words, (also once seen at swearing) without the same issues. But to use the ‘C-word’ (female genitals) & F-word (hetero sex act) is seen as totally unacceptable.. I think it could be just that some words, that were once seen as ‘swear words’ are now ‘nomalised’.. perhaps this is what Marama is getting at ?

What about all the talk of ‘Freedom of speech’ that is filing recent news ?? :/

/  August 9, 2018

For reasons I don’t understand but that have to do with misogyny, gross disrespect for women, generally, or for a particular women, that word I think almost always has an objectionable connotation. There aren’t too many situations in which it gets used to chat a woman up. And most guys who use it are usually doing it to be objectionable or offensive, so why try and normalise their being offensive as fuck about women?

When you ask them if they call their mum, or their daughters, or sisters, or aunties, or sons, or anyone with with some class in their family that, to their faces, they never say “Yeah, lots : they don’t mind.” Usually they just don’t say anything.

She’s making a bad call here.

• Zedd

all fair points gezza..
            BUT perhaps Marama thinks it is time to ‘discuss these issues’ in a different light ?

looking at the pic above.. doesnt look like Chloe & the other ‘Green Galz’ are too supportive of her either ??

it is likely that by next week it will be… goooone & forgotten.. :/

/  August 10, 2018

the line ‘show us your growler’ is quite…common.

/  August 10, 2018

I agree. You don’t hear it much in Royal Family. Only among the drunks in the village who are common as muck.

/  August 10, 2018

you mix in much higher circles than the hoi polloi…Gezza
              …lifes all not polo,cucumber sandwiches and corgis for the rest of..us. 😉

/  August 10, 2018

3. Blazer

/  August 9, 2018

about as much use as ‘a cunt full of cold water’.

/  August 9, 2018

It’s a cock up. She’s making as big a dick of herself as you did here.

/  August 9, 2018

I actually quite like ‘punini’.

What did you think of the ‘Vagina Monologues’?

you’re making a bit of a duck of yourself as…well.

4. David

/  August 9, 2018

I think she should go large on this and campaign up and down the country calling everyone she meets one (except my wife who would probably punch her in the throat), its a vote winner.

5. David

/  August 9, 2018

You can imagine the caucus meeting. “James I disagree with your position and I think you are being a c… by not acknowledging others”. Shaw would probably go full snowflake.

• robertguyton

/  August 9, 2018

You might be imagining that, David, but rational folk won’t.

6. robertguyton

/  August 9, 2018

Free speech…but not that word, eh!

• PDB

/  August 9, 2018

On the contrary Robert we’re all for her saying it as much as possible, especially on any primary school visits she happens to go on – a real vote-winner!

• robertguyton

/  August 9, 2018

“we’re all for her saying it as much as possible”
        Sounds as believable as a Judith Collins tweet.

• PDB

/  August 9, 2018

Old folks home, daycare centres, TV breakfast shows, funerals etc with a film crew following her about – she can just let rip!

I can just hear her on the 6 o’clock news: “Ardern is a real c**t as she has been pretty useful for Labour…

• Ray

/  August 9, 2018

I don’t see anyone calling for her to be banned because of her use of the word Robert.
      Educate me or is it another straw man like the “death threat”.

• robertguyton

/  August 9, 2018

I didn’t write that anyone was “calling for her to be banned”; there are more ways than that to ostracise someone who says things you find unpalatable, Ray.

7. PDB

/  August 9, 2018

““I can be called it in a death threat”

Her alleged facebook death threats she deleted but reclaimed to be sent to police – how’s that going? Probably at the same pace as Labour’s internal sexual-harassment investigation.

In the case of the ‘C’ word she has decided this is the way to make a name for herself in parliament – I for one applaud her as it’s by no means a vote-winner and says more about herself than anybody else could.

/  August 9, 2018

I don’t see why it should be any more of a swear word than Anglo Saxon male versions like cock or prick. That said it is just as insulting to call someone a prick or a cunt so I don’t quite see what Davidson is hoping to achieve by adopting that name for herself or anyone else.

/  August 9, 2018

It’s interesting that. I’ve often wondered why references to male gentials to describe someone don’t evoke the same revulsion & concluded it’s possibly because it exploits the ambiguity of other inoffensive meanings in the usual words like dick, tool, cock etc.

The C word basically has two definitions:
      cunt
      kʌnt
      noun vulgar slang
      a woman’s genitals.
      an unpleasant or stupid person.

/  August 9, 2018

is an unpleasant or stupid woman are double ..cunt?

shades of JT’s ‘front bums’.

/  August 9, 2018

Ask your mum, your sisters, your aunties, & your female cuzzies & report back?

/  August 9, 2018

I don’t regard any of them as stupid…or unpleasant..don’t make a cunt of…yourself.

/  August 9, 2018

I said to ask them your question, fool. Not to call them that.

• robertguyton

/  August 9, 2018

Nor is Marama promoting “calling people” that; a point missed by those here frothing over the issue. Fools.

/  August 9, 2018

No I don’t think anybody’s really missing the point. Blazer’s giving you lessons on what can go wrong with this strategy.

/  August 9, 2018

Oops – that was @ Robert. The Random WordPress Wilkinson Effect strikes again.

9. Griff.

/  August 9, 2018

Jesus h and Mohammad the goat boy.
    Some seem to think typing the c word is a badge of honor.
    The word is still considered obscene by many including me.
    I swear in comments on occasion when I think it is warranted not because I think it makes me look smart.
    One SJW from the greens is not going to shift the meaning instantly yet alone within a generation.
    Lets keep the word for when it has a useful meaning rather than acting like a toddler who just learnt to say the words pooh, bum, wees.

/  August 9, 2018

do you mean as in…’cunts are useful’.?

• Griff.

/  August 9, 2018

If woman did not have c**ts we would just call them names and throw rocks at them.

• Griff.

Shite oh dear
          Should I have included a joke emojo so it doesn’t get taken seriously?
          Is the world really so uptite jokes are verboten?

/  August 9, 2018

You maybe misjudged your audience with that imagery, Griff.

/  August 9, 2018

Unless you plan to say this at a feminists or lesbians convention, or on tv, I wouldn’t worry about if Griff.

• ‘Reclaim’ it as a word for the part of the body, but it’s most unlikely to ever be used of people in a complimentary way. No name of a body organ that’s used about a person is ever likely to be.

Queer is the exception that proves * the rule about ‘reclaiming’. But cunt, dick etc ? Dream on. Why waste time trying ?

Tangent: one of the worst jobs in literary history has to have been the one given to the unlucky person who had to count the number of times fuck and cunt appeared in Lady Chatterley’s Lover.

• Griff.

Pizda, Fotze, kunte
              Identical meaning different languages.
              reclaim?
              No a vulgar term is a vulgar term and probably has been for century’s.

“Lady, shall I lie in your lap?” , “No, my lord.”, “Do you think I meant country matters?” “That’s a fair thought, to lie between maids’ legs.”

10. Honestly, where do the Greens get these women from? They’re an absolute disgrace.

11. Davidson doubles down again:

I don’t think that is going to appeal to many people.

12. Geoffrey Monks

/  August 10, 2018

Nope, still doesn’t appeal. I guess she is testing which has the most endurance: public outrage or her ego

13. Blazer

/  August 10, 2018

this one goes out to…Chuck and…

1. Marama Davidson dismays with vulgar campaign — Your NZ – NZ Conservative Coalition