TVNZ baby boob

It hasn’t taken long for media to breach the strict controls on coverage of Jacinda Ardern’s baby at Parliament. TVNZ stuffed up yesterday.

Newstalk ZB: TVNZ apologise for filming Jacinda Ardern breastfeeding

An apology from TVNZ after one of its cameramen filmed Jacinda Ardern feeding her daughter Neve

The Prime Minister today attended the announcement that plastic bags would be banned, and brought her eight week old baby Neve along with her.

While standing at the back of the hall, a One News cameraman turned and filmed Ardern while she was holding Neve.

A blanket is covering Neve, and TVNZ surmised that Ardern was breastfeeding.

The video has since been taken down.

A TVNZ spokeswoman said the video was removed after they had received a lot of criticism and decided it was wrong.

A spokeswoman told AAP that their focus should have been on the press conference.

“We accept the criticism. We got it wrong,” she told the news agency.

Will the Speaker Trevor Mallard follow through with action? He threatened serious consequences for breaches of his baby coverage ban – see Speaker demands that media censor baby coverage in Parliament:

Parliament’s Speaker Trevor Mallard has issued a warning to journalists planning to take unauthorised photos of returning Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern’s baby Neve.

The Parliamentary Press Gallery was informed that any journalists who took unauthorised photos would have their accreditation removed and their employer would also be penalised.

If he doesn’t show he has bite to back up his bark then it is likely to be flouted again.

Why was the baby there?

I have to ask why Ardern had her baby with her at what she promoted as a major Government announcement. Is this going to be a normal thing?  Are Government functions going to be subjected to possible interruptions because a baby gets grizzly and wants a feed?

Most working mothers make arrangements for alternative care of their babies. I fed a baby expressed milk while it’s mother worked on night duty. It takes a bit of planning and effort but it’s what most parents deal with.

Ardern risks baby distractions, including unauthorised media coverage, if she takes her baby to work with her.

And I think it’s fair to ask whether Ardern is playing the baby card for political purposes. I don’t think there is any justification for her to have her baby at media conferences. She’s lucky she can even take her baby to her workplace, most parents can’t, it’s either not possible or not practical. And it’s not professional.

/  August 11, 2018

She absolutely is. And was always going to.

• Trevors_elbow

/  August 11, 2018

Yip… because if she didn’t people could ask her tough and direct questions.

It’s pretty weak to hide behind a baby but she is doing it

/  August 11, 2018

Maybe. But I think she is also trying to prove to young women you can have a baby & run the country. So they know they can do anything they want to as well with a baby & all they need is an astronomical salary & at two houses & limousine transport & a private jet for overseas trips & a Parliamentary creche & hordes of helpers & a stay at home dad & to breastfeed in the office or on the workshop floor or behind the checkout counter or whatever.

/  August 11, 2018

“Pretty weak” to use a baby in your efforts to criticise the Prime Minister.

• No, it isn’t. She is paid to be PM, not to babysit.

It is a very unprofessional look to breastfeed in public on such an occasion.

These are very valid criticisms. If a male PM took his new baby to meetings and public announcements and gave it a bottle or changed its nappies, he would come in for the same criticism.

2. Blazer

/  August 11, 2018

I heard squeaky’s wife is…pregnant.

3. Maggy Wassilieff

/  August 11, 2018

She does take Baby Neve to work with her.
    The Baby is on a 3-hour feeding schedule.
    The baby is being “housed” in her Tea-room annexe.
    How do I know this?… I read Eleanor Roy’s fluff pieces on Jacinda that are regularly appearing in The Guardian.

• If the baby is on a 3 hour feeding schedule then it should be easy to schedule feeds so they don’t conflict with significant events and Prime Ministerial tasks.

/  August 11, 2018

Here’s Pete, advising mothers on how to manage the feeding of their babies: what could be wrong with that???

• I’ve been a parent that has been actively involved in feeding babies and juggling care of kids with both parents working full time jobs (one day, one night). I have worked (a cleaning job) with a baby in a backpack.

Most parents simply can’t have their babies with them at work for practical or professional reasons.

/  August 11, 2018

The PM isn’t “most parents”.
            I take it, Pete, you weren’t breast-feeding?

• No, bottle feeding with expressed milk. This involved working fairly closely with the mother.

Arguably the PM has even greater responsibilities than most people that shouldn’t be distracted by concurrent child care.

Doctors, lawyers, pilots, construction workers, electricians, teachers, firepeople, ambulance officers et al all tend to have good reasons to make alternative arrangements for child care during work time.

“Arguably”
              Indeed. You are arguing the Prime Minister’s behaviour around baby care. Pretty ordinary, Pete. Still, against a background of old white men criticising Jacinda and Neve, beatific mother and child, the PM’s popularity will soar; go hard!

• You are also indirectly arguing her behaviour around child care through your criticisms of what she is doing being questioned.

Do you think that questioning of what a PM does on the job should be out of bounds?

/  August 11, 2018

Yes, dear weka would have taken into account your personality, Pete and allowed you some leniency. Fancy The Standard being more liberal that yournz when it comes to banning (or not banning) free speech!

/  August 11, 2018

“You are also indirectly arguing her behaviour around child care through your criticisms of what she is doing being questioned.”
            Convoluted stuff, Pete, all pretzels and defensive. Leave off the mothering advice to Jacinda, it just makes you seem an old busybody 🙂

• It’s not mothering advice, it’s my opinion on the appropriateness or otherwise of trying to do child care while doing your paid employment. Maybe it’s not something YOU have any experience with.

“an old busybody”

Funny, from you.

[deleted]
              You are correct, Pete, I’ve never breast-fed a baby; I was sole-charge of a one-year-old for all of yesterday morning, as I often am, but didn’t need to do anything more than offer apple slices and banana and a drink of water to satisfy her feeding needs. Thursday’s my “child-care” day usually – I look after two grandchildren throughout the day; toiletting, entertaining, walking and cooking for them and their working parents. It’s a delight; got any advice for me, Pete, of the sort you’re so freely offering Jacinda? Should I speak to them in Maori as well as English (as I do) as jacinda’s says she will with Neve? Too “pc”, you reckon? He tangata “virtue signalling” au? I do think you’re an old busybody, Pete. Don’t take it badly; I bet I’m not the first to point it out to you.

• I manage a blog. You appear to be the busybody here.

I have already said I am not offering nor giving advice to Ardern. I’m expressing my views about issues over bringing childcare into a workplace.

There seemed to be no practical reason why Ardern had her baby with her at the media conference yesterday in respect of her executing her job responsibilities. So I think it’s fair to question whether it is for attention seeking, a deliberate distraction, inappropriate or whatever.

Just about all you have done is try to diss and discredit me or my opinion without giving your own opinion. That’s not debating, it’s berating, (at least attempting to). Do you understand the difference?

I’m fairly familiar with political activists trying to distract from issues being discussed. It’s quite lame, and ineffective when it becomes a prompt for promoting further arguments while offering known of your own.

• “I do think you’re an old busybody, Pete. Don’t take it badly; I bet I’m not the first to point it out to you.”

You’re not. And I don’t care if you make lame attack the messenger stuff like that. It happens quite often in political discussions when people try to avoid discussing, or try to distract from discussions. Those who try it futilely tend to be the ones who take it badly when unsuccessful.

/  August 11, 2018

“I have to ask why Ardern had her baby with her at what she promoted as a major Government announcement. ”
              No, you don’t. That’s busy-bodying. You don’t “have to” ask anything of Jacinda regarding her baby. You might want to, and seem to in fact, but the world will get by just fine without your hall-monitoring.
              Distracting from the issues discussed, me?
              These are the issues you posted on!
              Aren’t they?

/  August 11, 2018

Pete – excuse my asking, but what did you delete from my post (above)? I’m sure I’ve not used an offensive word; if you can’t bring yourself to write it, maybe you could hint at it; first letter perhaps. It just seemed odd that you’d delete something from my comment.

• “Yes, dear”.

I also ask that politicians and others are referred to by their proper names.

There’s a bit of flexibility, but it’s one of the ways discussions here remain relatively respectable and respectful.

/  August 11, 2018

“Yes dear” is a banned term here?
              “Yes there’s some risks with allowing free and relatively unfettered speech. But I think there’s significant risks fettering speech.” – Pete George.
              No smarmy smears then. Gotcha. “Yes dear” is a smear?
              Sensitive wee champion of free-speech , aren’t we?

/  August 11, 2018

“Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site may be limited.”

Crikey!!!

“Yes dear”

The term was first used by me to stop Kitty prattling on.

Pete deleted the term when I used it.

If it’s good enough for a respectable Rightie like me, it’s definitely good enough for a Greenie like you.

/  August 11, 2018

Corky – appreciate your comment. Curious though, that Pete deletes, given his declared respect for free speech; The Standard, much derided by Pete, doesn’t delete “Yes dear”, nor does any other blog that I know of. Just Pete’s. Strange claim to fame.

• Respect for free speech means respect for those speaking Robert. If a term is condescending and sexist then it is not conducive to respectable debate. .

Funny that you mention The Standard, where you have joined into mob attacks and abuse with the obvious aim of driving people away or shutting them up.

Do you think that if I’d responded ‘yes dear’ to weka she would have been ok with that?

• Please don’t be tiresome. It’s unbecoming in a person of your age.

• I don’t remember Corky saying that and it’s highly likely that it never happened.Corky’s word is not to be relied on.

It is not his blog and it’s not up to him to say who will or won’t speak.

His idea of wit is personal insults.

4. Gerrit

/  August 11, 2018

Was Gayford not the stay at home dad who was going to look after baby?

That didn’t last long. Am sure Blazer can get a conspiracy squirrel spinning on that scenario.

And as thousands of “normal” breast feeding mum’s do, express milk for others to feed the baby when otherwise engaged.

/  August 11, 2018

Gerrit implies Jacinda should express; big of him also. He blokes, myob.

/  August 11, 2018

Its good she has Neve with her….you neve r know she could grow up to be P.M of NZ ..one day. 😉

• Dave K

/  August 11, 2018

Ha…stay at home dad of the year indeed. Mind you it is ski season after all….not that there was any truth in the rumours (….the plods even said so unprompted)…

5. robertguyton

/  August 11, 2018

“And I think it’s fair to ask whether Ardern is playing the baby card for political purposes.”
    Do you, Pete?
    That’s big of you.

6. duperez

/  August 11, 2018

I think Ardern showed she is thoughtful, considerate and inclusive.

Thoughtful in that she pondered and planned every single detail for maximum impact, considerate in that she knew fans would clamour for any minute details about life with her baby and inclusive in providing the cynical, the disenchanted, critics and haters a chance to vent their spleen.

/  August 11, 2018

” inclusive in providing the cynical, the disenchanted, critics and haters a chance to vent their spleen.” She’s providing those here a great service then…

/  August 11, 2018

Well exactly. I don’t really care all that much what she does, when I think about it. It’s not my baby. If I see a woman breastfeeding in public (which is still very rare) I don’t stare. It’s not harming me. I’m usually dong something else anyway, even if its just looking out the train window at the gorgeous views you get in places on Welly’s train lines.

A constantly screaming kid bothers me eventually – it bothers most people eventually. But not a discreetly breastfeeding woman.

But it does get sniffy looks from some women who’re probably mums & some guys I guess might stare. I’ve never seen anyone criticise a woman doing it, but I expect it happens.

Maybe one day it’ll become normal. Meantime as long as she’s doing her job & doing it ok, fine by me. The baby’s her thing. Not mine. If she wants to use it to make a point fine. If it means she can’t do her job (which it hasn’t yet) or if it gets wheeled out or whipped out whenever there’s a problem, to distract the media, and voters don’t like it, they can indicate their displeasure at the next election – or as readers in a poll if the papers want to run one.

/  August 11, 2018

Or just wind up the loony Left?

• It depends upon how they do it, Gezza. Nobody wants to see a huge boob in all its glory plugged into junior’s mouth; it’s a bit icky. It shouldn’t be a public show. It’s possible to do it discreetly and most women are discreet about it.

A media conference is not the time or place for this.

I once went to a ballet (and that’s not cheap) which was spoiled by some fool who’d brought a screaming baby. It bawled most of the time that the ballet was on, an insult to the dancers and an infuriating distraction to the audience. The stupid thing was that the baby couldn’t possibly have enjoyed the ballet anyway.

” the loony Left” – Alan

“I ask that people are referred to here by the names they use as pseudonyms, and not to use smarmy sneers or pejorative. They are unnecessary, and the too often lead to jeer wars and shit fights.- Pete George
        Where’s the hall monitor when you need one?
        Alan’s regular use of that particular smear doesn’t attract a deletion, but “yes dear” does?
        Double standards, Pete George – and you, as self-claimed man-in-the-middle, broker of all that is fair, neither Left nor Right; pffffffft!

/  August 11, 2018

Who here did I call the loony Left, Robert? Only anyone who chooses to self-identify as such.

/  August 11, 2018

Anyone from the Left is smeared by your comment, Alan, no matter how nimbly you dance on that pin or finely split the hair. It’s a gratuitous smear that you use over and over. Pete seems not to care that people from the Left who might read or comment here are disparaged by you on a regular basis.

/  August 11, 2018

No, only those who see themselves as wound up by the obvious proposition that Saint Jacinda is milking her baby making. So far that seems to be only you self-identifying.

/  August 11, 2018

So the repeated use by a commenter here of the term ridiculous Right would be okay, Alan? “The petty criticisms of Jacinda and her baby that flow like leaking bile from the ridiculous Right …” – that sort of thing, over and over; you good with that, Alan?

/  August 11, 2018

I don’t even identify as Right, Robert, so it just leaves me sardonically amused.

• Your use of “looney Left” is hugely boring, Alan.

/  August 11, 2018

Doesn’t seem to be from the way you bit at it, Robert.

/  August 11, 2018

It is. Despite not being a Righty, as you claim, do you support the use of “Rightwing Nut Job” as a lable? Woulkd you tire of my using it repeatedly here on yournz where undoubtably RWNJ’s are present?

/  August 11, 2018

I would be perfectly happy for you to use RWNJ to describe a RWNJ. What is important is accuracy and precision.

/  August 11, 2018

Nah, I’ll just use it gratuitously, as a blanket term the way you use “looney Left”, Alan. All good.

/  August 11, 2018

I look forward to your attempt to do so with interest.

/  August 11, 2018

And in response to the rather uncharitable casting of some here as cynical, the disenchanted, critics and haters

7. alloytoo

/  August 11, 2018

Frankly she’s abusing her employer, IE: us.

No other woman in NZ would get away with this nonsense at work.

GUFFAW!

• Pink David

/  August 11, 2018

Well, she is milking it for all it is worth.

/  August 11, 2018

stop making a complete tit of yourself..[deleted]

Freedom of expression…

• Pink David

/  August 11, 2018

Of course. Ardern is telling us exactly who she is.

?

• An attention seeker, Robert.

/  August 11, 2018

The Prime Minister seeks attention, Holy Cow! Stop the presses!
              Prime Ministers should avoid attention, remain in the shadows, be invisible to the people, speak in soft tones and never have a baby when in office, eh, Kitty!
              Good O!

• Don’t put absurd words into other people’s mouths, Robert. It’s a stupid habit.You don’t like it when other people do it, kindly refrain from doing it to other people.

I am surprised that you seem not to realise that an attention seeker is someone who seeks it for their own ego, like a child showing off. It’s not a good trait in a child, and it’s a bit pathetic when an adult is an’ attention seeker’.

No, a PM should not be an attention seeker, they should be more mature than that.

• Pink David

/  August 11, 2018

“The PM breast-feeds her baby at work because … she’s an attention-seeker: Kitty.”

She breastfeed her baby at a press conference, then complained about being filmed breastfeeding.

That’s a double dip of attention seeking.

Pink David said:
              “She breastfeed her baby at a press conference, then complained about being filmed breastfeeding .” (my bold)
              Did she, Pink?
              Please link or paste the quote from the news report, thanks.

• Alloy, I heard a talk by someone who is high up in the Human Rights Commission.

One young woman came back to work with the baby (her ‘right’) and spent so much time feeding and doing other things for it that everyone had to do her work as well as their own. This palled quite soon, and they rebelled.

A temp was employed to do the work that the others refused to do because they had enough of their own and didn’t see why someone should spend her working day babysitting her own child on full pay while they did her work for her.

Thus the taxpayer was paying two fulltime salaries for the same position, one to the official holder ot it, one to the person who was brought in to do the work that she was too busy to do.

Nice work if you can get it; fulltime pay to look after your child at work while someone else does your work for you.

/  August 11, 2018

“I heard talk…one young woman…”
              Outrageous!!!
              Jacinda is doing exactly that Kitty!! Good spotting!!

• Robert, your obnoxiousness is most unappealing.You may be more intelligent and articulate than Corky, but that doesn’t lessen your nastiness.

It IS outrageous that someone is paid a fulltime wage to feed and change her baby while other people do her work for her until they rebel and a temp is taken on to do it. In the meantime, the new mother is paid the same as everyone else is, but they have to work for their money.

/  August 11, 2018

Kitty, you run the risk of Pete’s chastisement for being off-topic; we’re discussing the Prime Minister here, not some other “young woman” you heard talk about. I suppose you’re subtly conflating the two women in the hope of casting Jacinda, lovely Jacinda, “Mother Jacinda” in a poor light, but your ploy is as transparent as a flake of RWNJ dandruff.

• I’ll leave that up to Pete, it’s his blog, not yours, something that you seem not to realise..

Miss Ardern is showing herself in a poor light by going back on her word about the baby being looked after by her father and by using the baby as an accessory.That earth mother image is simply not a good look for the country’s leader.

A press conference is about an issue, it’s not a publicity shoot for an attention-seeking PM.

• alloytoo

@robertguyton.

The PM’s not exactly a young woman……

Frankly she should decide, is she the primary care giver, or in full time employment?

She needs to choose like every other Parent in NZ and stop abusing her position.

/  August 12, 2018

It IS abusing her position. She’s paid to be PM, not to be a full time mother.

We heard that daddy was the fulltime, stay at home caregiver. He doesn’t seem to have much else to do.

/  August 12, 2018

Pair of misery-gutses.

/  August 12, 2018

Wake up, Rip Van Winkle, she’s the PM, supposedly, not a member of a 70s commune.She’s paid a damned good wage and is expected to earn it as a man would, not faff around being Earth Mother. Her partner has stuff-all else to do and is supposed to be looking after his child, Instead, the baby’s in the Beehive.

She’s taking money under false pretences.

8. Maggy Wassilieff

/  August 11, 2018

Poor bloody working stiffs, though.
    T.V. Cameraperson can’t do his/her job easily without checking the PM’s mammary glands or babe aren’t in the shot.
    TV editor (or whoever) will now have to triple-check every frame of a parliamentary shoot to make sure PM’s mammary glands or babe aren’t in view.

Wonder how many other folks working at Parliament have to change their daily procedures.

/  August 11, 2018

Not every PM can make herself instantly invisible by hauling out her baby.

/  August 11, 2018

Kitty says Jacinda’s attention-seeking by breast-feeding at work, while Alan says she’s making herself invisible by doing so! RWNJ chaos!

/  August 11, 2018

Magicians are attention seekers, Robert. One moment they are here and the next disappeared. All for the audience.

Jacinda, a magician?
            Better than used-car-slaesman Key, I suppose.

/  August 11, 2018

salesman; hard to pin down, that slippery shape-shifter

• He didn’t say that, Robert, he said that not every PM can make herself invisible by hauling out their baby.

Either you are not reading people’s words properly or you are maliciously distorting them.

It’s seriously tiresome when a geriatric acts like an enfant terrible.

• I hadn’t thought of that, Maggy. We were told that the baby was going to be with dad as the caregiver…more fools us for believing it.I suspect that Neve is a bloody nuisance for everyone else, and it’s not her fault.

The press has been ordered not to film her, but if mum hauls her along to conferences, it’s hard to see how this can be avoided.

Tru dat.

• The no photos thing is wavver pwecious; who does Miss Ardern think she is ? The Duchess of Cambridge ?

/  August 11, 2018

Wen u say wavver do u mean wahver?

Doe ! I mean wavver 😦 So dere ! 😦

/  August 11, 2018

It’s just that I couldn’t figure out what you meant until today. The double v made me read it as wavver as in “have a”.

/  August 11, 2018

Who does she think she is?
            Prime Minister of New Zealand, probably.
            Wasn’t there are great hue and cry from RWNJs over keeping Key’s children out of the public focus? At least Neve’s not cashing in on her situation like Max Key shamelessly did. The Left – they do it so much more gracefully don’t they!

/  August 11, 2018

Give Neve time, Robert. Get back to us when he’s old enough to pick up females instead of the reverse.

?

/  August 11, 2018

Hope you are not making premature gender assumptions, Robert?

• I don’t think that Max Key did court publicity; the press did that.

/  August 11, 2018

You never know Robert. Not every kid might be happy to stick with the gender society assigns to them – once they get a bit older.

/  August 11, 2018

“I don’t think that Max Key did court publicity…”
              Gobsmacked, I am, gobsmacked!

/  August 11, 2018

So what is the reverse of “pick up females”, Alan?
              “Put down females”?

/  August 11, 2018

Being picked up by females, Robert.

• Maggy Wassilieff

/  August 11, 2018

I’m all for breast-feeding mums… breastfed my little gobblers for 2.5 and 4.5 years and wet-nursed another babe for 1 day/week for 1 year.
        I’ve nothing against having babes/infants at work places… as long as no-one is inconvenienced and the infant is safe.

But… I’ve seen some horror stories…. teaching parents bringing sick kids into school classrooms….. (potential for cross-infections)

Scientist mother asked to stop doing her work for the afternoon and look after her manager’s baby while manager attended a meeting.

For some spoilt princesses other working folks are schmuks.

• It would be poor fun for the sick children, too.

I have heard of mothers usually leaving early and never making the time up while the others have to cover for them.

I hope that the scientist told the manager to take a flying leap.

/  August 11, 2018

There’s possibly a bit of a power imbalance there. Could come back to bite her. Also there’s a pretty strong element of emtional blackmail in a request like this.

• I think it could well be a bad move.It’s very unprofessional.

What if the other woman refused because she had too much work to do ?

The idea of a sick child in a classroom is extraordinary. What about the other children exposed to whatever it has ? The misery of being dragged to school when you’re feeling ill would be awful.

9. Why am I being moderated ? I can’t see that anything I have said is abusive, slanderous or obscene.

• You have something extra in your email address so it treated you as a new commenter.

/  August 12, 2018

It happened when I signed up to another WordPress site.

When I realised that the wording underneath the reply box was different and clicked on it, everything went back to normal.

1. TVNZ baby boob — Your NZ – NZ Conservative Coalition