Open Forum – Sunday

12 August 2018

Forum

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site may be limited.

Next Post

1. Reply

/  August 12, 2018

There are a few versions of that; some specify the unloveliness of one or the other.

One version has you in the National Gallery and having to choose between a great painting or a mangy alley cat.

2. lurcher1948

/  August 12, 2018

Maybe these fine upstanding Americans could get Don Brash a past National Party PM over there to explain “Hobsons Pledge”after all they are all from the right you know,free speech and all that

3. lurcher1948

OBAMA – 55 MILLION

TRUMP – 23 MILLION

APPROVAL RATING

OBAMA – 63%

TRUMP – 40%

/  August 12, 2018

You don’t learn from history, do you, Lurchy. Always remember..it’s not over until the fat lady sings. Laugh along with me, son.

• lurcher1948

/  August 12, 2018

Does orange make you stupid, Stephen King retweeted a pearl of wisdom for the knuckle draggers,and YES anyone coloring themselves orange is one can short in a 6 pack

4. Corky

/  August 12, 2018

The experiments shown in this clip may give a nod towards Rupert Sheldrakes Morphic Resonance and Morphic Fields theory.

The cat experiment shown at 15.16 was accidentally stumbled upon by me when I went through a period of trying to torment the family cat who didn’t like me. I would wait until it was eating then place various stuffed animals behind it. When the cat eventually turned around it would nonchalantly stop, look at the toy, and walk past. The only time I got a response was when I placed a windup grey mouse. The cat took an interest in that; gave it a couple of whacks; bit it, then moved on.

Then one day I came into possession of a rubber snake. I tried that. On seeing the snake, the cat jumped into the air; headed for the corner and started hissing.

Utu had been served.

The chicken experiment at 19.13 is also fascinating.

Great summation at the end. I think he explains why humans are the No1 species on earth. I also believe our thumbs have little to do with it.

• phantom snowflake

/  August 12, 2018

Interesting first sentence but you lost me at “I went through a period of trying to torment the family cat

/  August 12, 2018

The cat would scratch me without provocation. But don’t worry: no animal was hurt during my posting.

Great day for doing the lawns, PS.

/  August 12, 2018

Might just have been a good judge of character?

Yep same here just done my front lawn and a bit of weeding.

/  August 12, 2018

Damn. Should’ve read down to Kitty’s comment. I’ll have to think of something else.

/  August 12, 2018

My bet: it would’ve been something you said, Corks. Cats have long memories.

/  August 12, 2018

Well, Phantom, you will have heard the old saying about animals being good judges of character.

/  August 12, 2018

Well, Kitty, have you heard that some animals, like humans, are just bad? I have never had trouble with other animals. Maybe your quick rush to judgement without knowing all the facts points to one of your major flaws…being a know -all who knows nothing.

Now, time to rummage around for that snake.😜

/  August 12, 2018

It’s ironic that you, of all people, would accuse someone of being a knowall who knows nothing, especially when you have been proved wrong so often in your ignorance.

Wakey, wakey, who is likely to know more – the one with two degrees & who has a teaching certificate or….you ? The one who has travelled to many countries and learned many languages or…you ? The one whose house has thousands of books in it, all of which have been read….or you, whose reading seems to be confined to the first entry in Google and the urban dictionary ?

I shouldn’t be discouraging your ignorant personal abuse, as it had you banned before.

/  August 12, 2018

”I was talking to Phantom, not you, and you were not mentioned. It was a general observation.”

It’s a blog. Your general observation followed a comment from PS that was about my post. Take your time and work through that. You don’t get to pick and choose.

I see the rest of your post is big noting on questionable credentials.

You then prattle on about me being banned- again.

Have you anything of worth to post? Maybe a critique of Goethe’s Faust from an occult perspective?

/  August 12, 2018

Please remember that it’s a blog next time that you tell someone else not to respond to a reply that you have made to someone else. If you chose to interpret my comment as derogatory, that says more about you than it does about me.

My credentials are not questionable at all. It may seem impressive to you, but to many people these things are quite ordinary and what one expects other people to have. I mean educated people with some experience of the wider world.

Prattle seems to be your new word which is being flogged to death. Your vocabulary is rather limited,

/  August 12, 2018

Have you read any of Goethe’s works ?

/  August 12, 2018

”Please remember that it’s a blog next time that you tell someone else not to respond to a reply that you have made to someone”

I usually try to get an agreement with antagonists. The time I didn’t was probably involving you being a prat.

”My credentials are not questionable at all. It may seem impressive to you, but to many people these things are quite ordinary and what one expects other people to have.”

Granted, while definitely not unique to educated people, especially regarding degrees, the fact is I know many well educated people who are monolingual with limited oversea travel and experience.

One trait they do have, and you haven’t, is they don’t blow about their education to make others feel small. That small hint should warn you I think you oversell yourself. This supposed education you have doesn’t faze me one iota.

”Prattle seems to be your new word which is being flogged to death. Your vocabulary is rather limited.”

That is where you are wrong. Your comments lack the wider variety of words I use. While your grammar and composition is better than mine, although that’s only because I can’t do my usual routine of leaving what I write over night, then re editing in the morning, you use very simple words. Yes, I thrash some words. Why not, if they get a reaction.

So ,when you can’t get on top me debate wise, you must repair to your triple B’s..Bullshit, Bluster and Baloney. And what a beauty this lot is:

”Goethe’s Faust ? Nein, danke, ich liebe nicht Goethe. NB, it’s not pronounced Go-eeth, although you probably think that it is.”

😃😃😃

/  August 12, 2018

‘Vis consili expers mole ruit sua’.

The only reaction the paucity of words will get is boredom. There are dictionaries and thesauruses that will help you to increase your meagre and minuscule vocabulary and not have to repeat the same small number endlessly.

I mention my education, languages etc to refute your childish, personal abuse about my knowledge. NB; if you are going to invent things about someone….don’t do it TO that person. They will know that it’s a lie and be able to discredit it and you.

‘Nam risu inepto res ineptior nulla est’.

/  August 12, 2018

Paucity, thesauruses, meagre, minuscule, refute, discredit.

That’s a better effort. A word salad of vibrancy, invoking a vista of possibilities… a grandness of well used language.

However, still a little work left to finish on the 3B’s.

/  August 12, 2018

You don’t really need to work on what you call the 3 Bs; you seem to be very good at those. Any further work on your part would be supererogatory and add to the cacography, cacology and eructatory effect.

/  August 12, 2018

”They may seem grand and vista invoking to you, but to most people these words are mainstream and ordinary.”

Then why don’t you use those words more often? And just not to impress me?

”Did you agree with the two quotes ? I thought that they were quite apposite and germane to the issue.”

I don’t know what they mean. I assume it’s Latin. I don’t know Latin. If I have something to say I will write it in English. Maybe you should do likewise.

Sorry, I missed these:

Cartography, cacology and eructation effect.

I’ll look these up.

Ah, now I see why ‘prattishness’ gets up your nose.

Cacography.

Its meaning should be obvious.

/  August 12, 2018

Don’t tell me that you need to look these up.

Get a room

/  August 12, 2018

What a nauseating thought.

/  August 12, 2018

I would consider that if I could bring my rubber snake.

5. lurcher1948

/  August 12, 2018

Chuck Bird,i could be Muslim and hurt by your example of”free Speech”
    Chuck Bird
    Mohamad was a “terrible human being”.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0 LOG IN TO REPLY REPORTAUGUST 12, 2018 1:14PM
    Is that really the best thing to say,the Catholics dont have a great rap sheet just…saying

6. Corky

/  August 12, 2018

Millie Elder learns life is a vicious but thorough teacher. Some learn early. Some late. And some never.

7. lurcher1948

/  August 12, 2018

Thank god it wasn’t you Corky when this white female nutter lost it facing two Hispanic workers, throwing boiling water in their faces,she voted Frump for some reason you can tell

/  August 12, 2018

Those Latinos handled the situation wrong, Lurchy, Retreat and ring the police. Simple. Have you asked yourself what caused the lady to have this attitude? How do you know she voted for Trump? And why did these dudes hang around to film her?

See my comment about Millie Elder.

Here’s something that will make you feel better. Sorry about upsetting you this morning with all those dumb wet liberals being shamed by Trump.

8. Zedd

/  August 12, 2018

Southern Steel won ANZ netball champs.. back-to-back against Central Pulse !

Yahooooo.. 🙂 😀

9. Corky

/  August 12, 2018

I see Miriama Kamo isn’t fronting Sunday tonight. I wonder if she’s still recovering from the hate mail she received after last weeks fiasco regarding free speech?

/  August 12, 2018

Hard to say. She would’ve irritated both camps with that – it was a waste of time. I virtually never watch Sunday because all it seems to have is too short segments on items I find trivial, too polemical, or just not of interest. Whatever happened to in-depth, hard-hitting documentaries & interviews? When did they end – 10, 15 years ago?