General chat

“Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Do it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

Ivan Mallard is a backyard bully! 😡

/  18th August 2018

Some weeks back a young man came walking along the river bank by my fence with a torch. I said hello pleasantly & asked what he was doing, & he was looking for his young male cat, who was new to the neighbourhood, was usually kept in at night, but who had got out & and hadn’t come home.

His cat had actually visited my yard at night a few times, in the dark. Quite a chatty little fellow. He walked around my legs once when I was out star-gazing, & I bent down & he mewed back to my korero & enjoyed being stroked, (lovely soft long fluffy fur, quite a dark color it seemed) before he wandered off up my drive somewhere.

I said I not to worry, that I was sure he’d be home sometime, even if he was away for a day or two – that he was probably just exploring: not unusual for a male, & the stream is very interesting for a cat. I took his details so that if Socrates* turned up I could bring him inside & contact his owner. It’s awful when you’re worrying about a missing pet.

So … now here are two texts from early two mornings ago:

………………………………..

Me:

Hi Granville*. We met at my fence not long ago. I see Socrates* must have turned up. He was here very late at night a couple of nights back, chatting. I let him in briefly, but out again as he wanted to go. He went up my drive into Oxford St, chasing a duck he saw.

He was just here again now & went for one of my pukekos, in my yard for breakfast, so I told him off & he headed downstream along the bank.

He’s a big, beautiful lad. What’s his breed again? Gezza
    ………………………………..

Granville*:

Hello. He did turn up after a day away. I definitely don’t want Socrates* attacking the pukekos so you have my full support in telling him off.

I will try to keep him inside more especially at night and look at ways to discourage him from going after the birds.

He is a Norwegian Forest Cat and is 8 months old. Thanks for looking out for him. Granville*.

*Names have been changed slightly to protect the guilty from online abuse by Gareth Morgan

/  18th August 2018

Here’s a pic of a Norwegian Forest Cat. They come in several coat patterns & colours, but this one is a spitting image of Socrates*:

/  18th August 2018

I have heard that two bells work best with cats, as they are clever enough to silence one.

I hope that GM is overrun with rats and mice and has to beg a cat to come and help him….and that the cat pees in his eye and says NO.

/  18th August 2018

It’s raining and there’s a Southerly blowing up Gezza’s Stream in North Welly, although it’s not a bitingly cold one, so possibly AGW is helping on that score.

But it don’t make no never mind to Tuku Tui – cos he’s out there in the tree just over the fence singing his white pom pom little thoat out. Lovely. Doing his whole repertoire this morning. I’m getting the lot – chirps, cheeps, trills, grace notes, tweets, twitters, clicks, whistles, whoops, fifes, flutes, & sundry mobile phone ring tones. ⭐ ❤

0846 hrs
      Thank you. That is all
      Sir Gerald

/  18th August 2018

There was a tui down the road this morning. I don’t see many at the moment, so it was lovely to see this one.

A stupid pookster played pooken with a car and just won. He then flew onto a tall fence and jumped down into someone’s garden, where he wandered around as if he owned the place.

What sort of parents do these poons have ? No responsibility for the safety or property of others, it’s just me, me, me.

/  18th August 2018

A local tui could make a sound like a washing machine that was unevenly loaded and was migrating across the floor, sending the people hurrying in to correct it.

4. High Flying Duck