Open Forum – Friday

7 September 2018

Forum

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site may be limited.

Next Post

1. High Flying Duck

/  September 7, 2018

The bodyshots keep coming, High Flyer. Another day, another negative review for the government. They can’t keep keep this up. Something will have to give. Hopefully that’s an early election so normal transmission can resume.

• lurcher1948

/  September 7, 2018

I see some national MP from up north is trying to get a King Hit law passed( inside for up to 20 years) as nothing was done under National over 9 years and everyone in the National party knows king hits ONLY started under Labor,FFS

/  September 7, 2018

Some MP up north isn’t the government. Voters aren’t worried about him. Just as no one cares your energy subsidy runs out in three weeks. Lurchy, socialism gives..but it takes more. Remember that when you can’t afford chutney for your cheese and crackers.

• lurcher1948

/  September 7, 2018

You are one sad puppy Corky,as if i care…but YOU are paying for our lifestyle

/  September 7, 2018

”Sick Puppy.” I find it emotionally offensive to be called a ”sad puppy” when I aren’t.

/  September 7, 2018

Cummings must be a half wit.
      Petrol prices are up because of rising international barrel prices and a weaker $kiwi.

2. Corky

/  September 7, 2018

I like to barter. Unfortunately New Zealand retail doesn’t. The reaction is usually one of bewilderment or annoyance. That said I usually manage to drive the price down, or at the very least get some freebies thrown in.

Yesterday, I came up against salesman who wouldn’t give an inch. ” no discount bud, head office sets the price…besides it’s on a discounted special at the moment.”

So I had to go to Plan B – a sop story. Luckily I dressed for the part. I told the salesman I was an ex con who was re-educating himself, so I needed his product to help with my studies. He saw right through me, told me he liked a good story and chucked in a free simcard. Better than nothing I suppose.

But here’s the weird thing I’ve noticed. People who overhear you bartering seem astounded. They get a look of ”what a bloody cheek this prick has.”

But the salesmen are worse. They can’t resist telling another salesman the trials and tribulations they are going through. There’s discrete eye-rolling, suppressed smirks and shoulder shrugging. Very strange.

Ironically my dress did work at Mitre 10. A security guard put a hand on my shoulder and asked if he could help. I told him he was kind, but that wasn’t his job. He said it was now. He liked to help potential shoplifters become customers😡😡😡. He then escorted me to the checkout and waited for my feral self to exit the building like Elvis. Strangely, I didn’t take offence. I knew his candour would see him in trouble with another feral bro..or facing the boss to answer a complaint from some offended snowflake.

Does anyone else barter? If so, have you noticed this weird behaviour?

/  September 7, 2018

wearing a dress is going to extremes Corky…or are you a cisgender ,bender,??

/  September 7, 2018

Yes, I sometimes barter. Discreetly. Depends on my mood, price & where I am. Not usually in a discount store. Have often scored from 5-10% discount, or got freebies chucked in if movement on price is not allowed or not possible. I usually find bartering works best when I’m smartly dressed. I always barter for ma if shopping with her. I don’t ask her I just do. If I asked her she’d say don’t. I start with the price their competitor is offering & say to ma, “Look, let’s go back there first & see what they’ll do for you, ma.”

/  September 7, 2018

Yes, some good ploys there. And of course older New Zelanders don’t make a fuss. Their generation didn’t do that. My mum is the same. Sad that many people don’t realise bartering is a natural way of commerce for many countries.

”Depends on my mood”

That is the important thing with me. If I feel psychically strong I proceed. If not, or the salesman has the psychic edge on me, I leave it for another day.

Have you noticed any of this weirdness I have described?

/  September 7, 2018

Yes, it depends on my psychic fitness that day to some extent too. I’m always psychically fit shopping with ma though. I’m also always smartly dressed for the mission. I’m not having her pay full price for expensive items. She has to get either a discount, a freebie, or a superior product for the same price. Or I’ll walk & take her with me. And they know it.

No. I never encounter weirdness. But that’s probably because I’m straight up with them. I’m honest, I make & keep eye contact. I’m friendly, chatty, personable, sympathetic “…but still …” & I don’t bullshit.

/  September 7, 2018

”Yes, it depends on my psychic fitness that day to some extent too. ”

Good stuff. Your term for that is ”mood.” However, what is a mood?. Just a different configuration of psychic inner energy. Just as a car has gears, you have to have the right gear to go over any given terrain.

”I’m always psychically fit shopping with ma.”

Good stuff again. I wish most of us who knew about these ”things,” could turn it on like that. We have to go through about five minutes of certain exercises to bring our energy up should it be lagging.

/  September 7, 2018

Mood is an emotional state. You call a configuration of psychic inner energy and for you it requires analysis and execution of strategies to achieve the right one for the purpose. I just decide what mood I’m in or I want to be in and go there.

• Ray

/  September 7, 2018

I almost always bargin, I put it down to my 6% Iberian DNA, “is that your best price” is a good starting place, knowing the wholesale price and leaving something for the seller are good points to use.
          That Turkish bloke selling fresh orange juice at Ephesus didn’t know what hit him when I changed the currency to Euros, half price minus 10%…about right.

Good on ya, Ray.

/  September 7, 2018

I am never desperate enough to make an idiot of myself to get a discount. Asking if that is the ‘cash price’ is as far as I have ever gone, There’s no point in nagging a shop worker, it’s out of their control. If something is already sale price, why bother to try to make them take even more off ? Cross-dressing up and lying is unlikely to work, so is being a pest.

I mainly shop in sales. Briscoes have great sales, although their ordinary prices are quite high. I bought some sheets for $60 (for four) which was a saving of $140. My sewing machine had a large cashback offer so cost under $100. Who’d try to beat the shop down from those prices ?

/  September 7, 2018

As bartering is a system of swapping one thing for another without money being involved, good luck with doing that in somewhere like Mitre 10 (or any shop)

/  September 7, 2018

Yes – thank you. I knew that was the wrong word for me but for the life of me I couldn’t remember the one I wanted.

I am actually talking about bargaining or haggling over the price. However I do note that bartering comes up in dictionaries as one of the synonyms for bargaining.

/  September 7, 2018

Haggling is correct. That’s what I meant. Don’t know why I wrote barter.

3. lurcher1948

/  September 7, 2018

Stolen from a nearby rightwing blog,i thought is quite…funny
    Donald Trump is walking out of the White House and heading toward his limo, when a possible assassin steps forward and aims a gun.
    A secret service agent, new on the job, shouts “Mickey Mouse!” This startles the would-be assassin and he is captured.
    Later, the secret service agent’s supervisor takes him aside and asks, “What in the hell made you shout Mickey Mouse?” Blushing, the agent replies, “I got nervous. I meant to shout Donald, duck!”

4. robertguyton

/  September 7, 2018

“The report into Parliamentary support for MPs was prepared by the Appropriations Review Committee, and is a legal requirement every three years.”

5. Missy

RIP Bandit….

• PDB

/  September 7, 2018

In the movie ‘Deliverance’ he led a team of NZ taxpayers into an area controlled by the Labour-NZL First-Green party coalition govt and it didn’t end well – fascinating doco.

was that you on…banjo?

• PDB

/  September 7, 2018

Can’t be me if I’m not part of the coalition govt or one of its supporters Blazer – do keep up. I do remember one scene though where a middle-income taxpayer was fleeced by a Greeny against a tree though?

7. David

/  September 7, 2018

Who didnt see this coming.

“Dr Nicola Williams, spokeswoman for Fair Play for Women, which campaigns to preserve women’s spaces, added: “This just shows that the risk assessments that prisons do are not good enough, because it’s allowed a rapist, with a penis, into a women’s prison. And women have been sexually assaulted. It is absolutely outrageous.

“We have to change the prison guidance now. There should be no fully intact male-bodied prisoners, ever, in women’s prisons.”

Sarah Ditum, a feminist campaigner said: “This is exactly what feminists have been warning about in the redefinition of sex and gender identity, is the possibility that people such as Karen White, who’ve got a clear sexual motive for wanting to be put into women’s intimate spaces, are going to take advantage of it. It’s appalling that something like this has been allowed to happen.”

• Griff.

/  September 7, 2018

Can you tell us why Conservative are so focused on fringe sexuality Dave?
      You hardly see a liberal bring up men who wanna be woman, sticking pork up the pooh shoot or some thing like that on the NZ blogs I read.
      Conservatives seem to dwell on such ideas an awful lot. Every day we get another conservative comment focusing on the more fringe sexual behavour undertaken by humans.
      Are yea frightened you are not getting it ?
      Is it urges that you try to suppress?
      Something the priest did?
      Just asking.

/  September 7, 2018

One person is far too small a sample to prove anything at all.

/  September 7, 2018

It can, however, disprove something. In this case that transgender women are no threat to other women.

/  September 8, 2018

Most aren’t, I have known a few and never felt as if I was in any danger; it never occurred to me. I am not afraid that all ordinary men are going to leap on me, either, although some have.

This seems to have been a special case. I have never heard of it happening before.

8. Corky

/  September 7, 2018

Warm friendly Island hospitality for refugees…with a shade of bullying.

Quote:

”Schooling in Nauru is compulsory until the age of 15 but truancy rates are as high as 60% and the standard of education and the facilities themselves is low. The education system is yet to fully recover from near-collapse between 2000 and 2005, when there was a mass exodus of teachers.”

Yep, we now know why Maori fail in mainstream education…they aren’t interested in education. And they don’t have Asian parents.

/  September 7, 2018

People on Nauru are not Maori.

The idea that being Maori means a lack of interest in education is racist. Of course they don’t have Asian parents. Asia is a big continent with many races.

‘Asian’ is not a race.

/  September 7, 2018

People on Nauru are not Maori.

They are partly Polynesian Islands. Whats the difference.?

””The idea that being Maori means a lack of interest in education is racist. ”

Crap, as generalisation it’s very true.

. ”Of course they don’t have Asian parents.”

No, shite, Dick Tracy.

/  September 7, 2018

You claim to be half Maori, you should know the difference between the two places and races.

I have no idea why you made that absurd statement about Maori children not having Asian parents. It’s so obvious as to be not worth remarking on, like saying that the sky isn’t green.

/  September 7, 2018

By the way, discrete means broken up, the word you wanted is discreet.

/  September 7, 2018

”Generalisations are seldom true when they are examined, It’s a racist statement.”

Yeah, they are true. This episode of the Simpsons nearly caused a political incident. The generalisations were later proved during the Brazilian Olympics.

”By the way, discrete means broken up, the word you wanted is discreet.”

Wrong again. I meant ” discredit.”

/  September 7, 2018

‘Discredit eye-rolling’ makes even less sense. it’s obvious that you meant discreet eye-rolling.

9. lurcher1948

/  September 7, 2018

BUY American,BUY FORD,what possibly go wrong as Trumps making the USA great again

10. Kitty Catkin

/  September 7, 2018

Why nobody in their right mind would rely on Google Translate.

I put in ‘De facto si non de jure’ (in practice if not in law) to see what it would say.

‘Of the product if not to you concerning the right at.’ was the translation into English.

I then reversed the languages to see what would happen.

‘De productum, nisi tibi ius circa.’ was Google T’s Latin version.

Of the product, unless/if not/except to you law around.’

So much for Corky’s idea that I learned Latin from this source 😀

/  September 7, 2018

I discovered that his ego is fragile today, earlier on. I think you should cut him some slack just for today. He may be emotionally stronger & psychically fitter tomorrow.

/  September 7, 2018

And I, alas, found you were short of a reply…. or an understanding what a mood is.

/  September 7, 2018

And I found you were over-analysing in new age speak what I no longer need to.
          You ponce on about quite a few things I have looked into and tried out over the last 15 years or so. I’ve just quietly incorporate what works and get on with applying it to my daily life, and drop the stuff that doesn’t. If you are still having to do psychic exercises to set your mood (psychic energy state) you haven’t been doing it for long enuf.

/  September 7, 2018

”And I found you were over-analysing in new age speak what I no longer need to.”

New age speak.??!! Anton Mesmer was doing this in the 1800s.

”You ponce on about quite a few things I have looked into and tried out over the last 15 years or so.”

Sorry, dude. While I accept you have had heaps of spare time average people
            don’t have to follow these pursuits, the fact is you wouldn’t be posting like you do, or disparaging what I post on these things. It just wouldn’t happen.

”If you are still having to do psychic exercises to set your mood (psychic energy state) you haven’t been doing it for long enuf.”

Once again to prove my point. Even the mighty Kahunas had to do their exercises to gain mana ( vital force).

/  September 7, 2018

Sez you. But fear not. I have no ego-driven need to boast of special privilege and knowledge, & I am moving on.

/  September 7, 2018

Why ? he goes out of his way to be offensive and insulting to me. He can’t expect someone to take that indefinitely. He has said that my source of Latin was Google Translate; now he’s denying it.

/  September 7, 2018

Why? Because your ego should be able to handle it.
          Corks’ ego takes a hammering & he has to defend it to the death.
          Not letting your ego control you is a lesson everyone should learn.

/  September 7, 2018

I will not allow him to insult, abuse and lie about me without saying anything in exchange.. I fail to see why I should. Nobody is under any obligation to allow someone to abuse, insult, misrepresent and tell stupid lies about them.

If his ego is so fragile that he can’t take retaliation, he shouldn’t go out of his way to be offensive.

/  September 7, 2018

Why not? You both get what you want.

/  September 7, 2018

I do NOT want a pathetic person to lie about me, abuse and insult me and call me a liar. I was delighted when the pest was banned and wish that he’d never been let back in. He boosts his ego at the expense of other people, then whines when they retaliate, refute his lies and distortions of things that they have said, object to having absurdities attributed to them and so on….he’s a noxious pest. I can’t imagine anyone wanting this sort of thing.

If he’s challenged on something that can’t possibly be true. he either becomes abusive or tries to backpedal…he never said that. It’s wearing very thin indeed.

[As is this whole ongoing spat. Please leave it alone. PG]

/  September 7, 2018

You two have been pursuing an IQ and EQ insult vendetta for so long now I can’t even remember who started it. Neither of you can let anything go. Both your egos need to be put in a very large box and only brought out on special occasions.

/  September 7, 2018

You have corrected your mistake below. So relax.

/  September 7, 2018

I made no mistake so don’t need to correct anything. Another fantasy from you.

/  September 7, 2018

I never said you learned Latin from Google Translate. Stop romancing. I would imagine you
      are like this precious snowflake.

/  September 7, 2018

You did, you said that that was where my Latin came from and that it was useful for ‘big-noting’. You raised it, I didn’t. It had never occurred to me that that would be a place to learn a language.

You are scraping the bottom of the barrel with that attempt at being insulting.

/  September 7, 2018

”You did, you said that that was where my Latin came from and that it was useful for ‘big-noting’”

That’s more like it.

”I have not the slightest objection to being called ‘Miss’. I am not a doctor. The comparison is utterly meaningless. It wouldn’t occur to me to make a fuss over something so trivial.”

The hint passes you by. Keyword: trivial.

”You are scraping the bottom of the barrel with that attempt at being insulting.”

And you are playing to Pete again. You came looking for me, remember?

/  September 7, 2018

You cannot mean that; look for YOU ?

Why would I ? Why would anyone ?

Dream on.

What hint ? I said that it was trivial and that I would NOT make a fuss about it, not that I WOULD. Wakey, wakey. No one who’s ever been a teacher has never been called Miss.

• robertguyton

/  September 7, 2018

“No one who’s ever been a teacher has never been called Miss.”

I was a teacher and was never called “Miss”.
              Just sayin’

Sorry, sir.

I like being called Miss; it’s 100x better than ma’am, which jars on me. Here in the Waikato, people tend to use Miss as the generic form of address for a woman.

• robertguyton

/  September 7, 2018

When I taught at the high school a girl arrived from the Waikato and she called the women teachers, “Miss”. She was assigned to my class and while she and I got on well, she didn’t stay long, soon blotting her copy-book by stabbing holes in the safety-glass door with a pair of scissors in an effort to get to some of the students she didn’t like.

/  September 8, 2018

Nice girl.

A friend had a girl pupil who used to sit in the front row of desks and open her legs so that her knickers were in full view. He wisely took no notice and acted as if he could see nothing.

/  September 7, 2018

Where did I mention Pete ?

/  September 7, 2018

You have just agreed to something that you denied before….

• Griff.

/  September 7, 2018

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
              George Carlin

[Deleted]

Sacre Bleu ! 😮

Think I just witnessed a hit & run.

Haven’t got a description but I think I got a bit of the number. 😐

/  September 8, 2018

:-/ It must have brainstorms from time to time. I wasn’t making those bizarre answers up. Nor did I invent it saying that ‘imploro’ was Latin for ‘please.’

I remember when I first discovered online translation, and gave it things that I knew. Some were accurate (not many) most were nonsense.

11. David

/  September 7, 2018

Grand jury has been impaneled to investigate Andrew McCabe the Trump hating FBI deputy director. Terrible partisan player who,s wife wanted to run as a democrat and received 100s of thousands from a Hilary linked pac while her husband investigated Hilary.

12. sorethumb

/  September 7, 2018

Empathy makes us immoral, says a Yale psychologist

13. lurcher1948

/  September 7, 2018

Is everyone having a fun filled Friday evening and had a good week and are chilled out???