Media watch – Saturday

15 September 2018

MediaWatch

Media Watch is a focus on New Zealand media, blogs and social media. You can post any items of interested related to media.

A primary aim here is to hold media to account in the political arena. A credible and questioning media is an essential part of a healthy democracy.

A general guideline – post opinion on or excerpts from and links to blog posts or comments of interest, whether they are praise, criticism, pointing out issues or sharing useful information.

Previous Post

1. chrism56

/  September 15, 2018

Another example of a social justice crusade that demonstrates the reporters are short of a few brain cells.
    Did they consider that there might be a correlation between school decile levels, exam pass rates and intelligence? Or that the top paying degrees (medicine and engineering) can only be done by the brightest students, very few of which grow up in severely disadvantaged households.

/  September 15, 2018

Yep, and the same idiots oppose charter schools and advocate compulsory te reo.

/  September 15, 2018

The only way forward is for individuals to break out of the peer pressure to fail. The Left is hell-bent on maintaining it.

/  September 15, 2018

It was a great read. To me it shows society working itself out into natural human streams of ability and born advantage/disadvantage. That the egalitarian dream in New Zealand is dead, is testament to its falsehood as an ideal that was enforced. People forget toilets need cleaning; squash needs picking.

/  September 15, 2018

It’s a very good article and the comments from both the university educators and the students from poor backgrounds who have somehow managed to get into the university system and seem to be doing well indicate intelligence is not simply concentrated by natural selection among already wealthy families. The challenge is how to address that problem without lowering standards and throwing taxpayer money away for no return to either the taxpayer or the student. That’s where partnership schools looked to be making good inroads. Hipkins seems to be an upper middle class dick with NFI?

2. “I want to reassure you that I am still your MP.I understand why many people believe I have left Parliament altogether, given the storm of adverse publicity surrounding me, but I am still very much your MP and will do my best to represent you and advocate for your interests.”

Dear constituents I want to reassure you that I am still your MP. I understand why many people believe I have left…

She says “cards, emails, messages and visits” have made it clear some locals think she was gone from Parliament altogether.

Posted by Clare Curran for Dunedin South on Thursday, 13 September 2018

A sad consequence of her fall, assuring followers she is still an MP.

3. In short, no they haven’t, they have failed to deliver on a major promise of being the most open government ever.

Link won’t load for me.

I don’t blame it.
        But it’s not loading for me either. Says the page doesn’t exist.

• Fixed. I think they must have deleted the tweet and entered a new one.

/  September 15, 2018

That’s odd. Can you recall what it was about?

/  September 15, 2018

Oh, sorry. I didn’t notice you’ve now posted its successor.

• Luckily I had commented on it and could work out from that what it was about.

I’ve just been out cleaning up dead (sprayed) gorse – nearly as prickly as a thread at the Standard.

/  September 15, 2018

It’s bad when it gets in your thick wool socks. A nightmare to get out and impossible to wear until you do.

• Maybe that’s how they see me when I get in thick in a thread – a nightmare to get me out and impossible to wear down.

One spike went through my glove and the tip broke off in the palm of my hand. I expect that will be hard to get out.

/  September 15, 2018

Horrible stuff to hack out and dig up, unless you’re trying to regenerate native forest in which case just leaving it there really helps that process.

4. “editors are a little like smoke detectors – you need them, but if they go off it is best to flee via the stairs.”

Funny. That could be a good quote in a variety of situations.

5. PDB

/  September 15, 2018

Is Gayford on the PM’s staff now? Or is Ardern feeling the heat and needs him to ride shotgun? Is Gayford fair game for the MSM when he gets himself involved in political issues?

• PDB

/  September 15, 2018

• He has raised the ire of a few journalists. I’ll collate and do a post in a while.

6. This is funny. A reporter struggling in the hurricane wind, as they do.