General chat

“Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Do it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

/  September 18, 2018

Hard to tell what kind of day we’re going to have in North Welly today. The Dawn Chorus was in full swing at 5.10am and when I opened the kitchen window a song thrush was in full voice. In the distance when all the birds have roughly the same level of audibility these guys can sound like there are just a lot of different birds having a sing song.

But right outside your window you can’t miss that it’s just one bird. If anyone’s ever interested enough to listen to the early morning bird chorus one of those birds might be an unseen thrush. Listen for an entire sequence of whistles chirps tweets trills peeps wolf whistles police wee-oo sirens up & down inflections fax machines car alarms and others. They beat the tui when they’re in full concert, and there are no squarks craaaks and clacks and rusty door hinges jarring it a bit like with the tuis.

/  September 18, 2018

Looks like a wetter day than forecast here. Hopefully all the deck staining I did yesterday will survive and not go anywhere it shouldn’t.

/  September 18, 2018

If the evening was warm you should be ok, enough of it should have soaked in and it always made water just run off when I used stains.

Have you finished it all now?

/  September 18, 2018

Not finished yet. Got a first coat on most of the decks. Put on about 20 litres so far. Quite a bit still needs needs another coat and a lot of ballustrade to do. Also want to give the cabins a touch up. The paths and steps I water blasted look good. Waiting to see if the chemical spray does a decent job on the rest. Hopefully this cyclone tail end will zoom past today and I can get on with it tomorrow. Want it done and dried before next guests arrive

/  September 18, 2018

I once put a lot of polyfilla or similar on windowframes, and although it was fine and warm and had been for ages, we had a fog that night….you may imagine what the polyfilla looked like when I went out in the morning.

Is there anything more maddening than a sudden cloudburst .when you’re painting with enamel paint ? This happened to me, once, and the paint had huge round matte spots all over it. It looked so awful that it had to be done again. Heartbreaking.

/  September 18, 2018

I painted the whole side of the back wall of our first house on a dodgy weather day. A sunday – it was very humid and one of those days where it might rain, it might not. I wanted it done before Monday when I was due back at work.

I was standing there with a beer and a ciggie, admiring my work, when light rain started falling and I watched in horror as by ALL the paint began to sort of just slide down the boards in sheets.

Beer down ciggie god knows where I chucked it & ran at the wall wiv me paintbrush desperately running up and down the length of it brushing it all back on again & again uttering all sorts of pejorative descriptions of my IQ level and other words you really shouldn’t in polite company that I’d rather not repeat here.

And the rain stopped and I bloody saved it. Never painted with acrylic paint on a day like that again.

/  September 18, 2018

I couldn’t do that with the enamel paint. It looked terrible; I could have wept. I may have done. It was a day when nobody would have imagined rain being a possibility. I tried to retrieve the mess, but it was hopeless, I had to do the whole bloody lot again.

2. phantom snowflake

/  September 18, 2018

It’s a beautiful morning, no wind, light cloud, sunny and quite warm.

Pooklet’s birthday was 8 September. It’s 10 days old today. The far parenga is still in shade so it’s very hard to find the pooklet and watchpook’s nests. I can only find them by following a pook going to them.

All the pooks came up to fence when they saw me, and then – horrors – I saw the caregiver one – Aspen – walk down & LEAVE the pooklet, on its own, for the first time – up a very steep bank to come up and visit me too ! But thankfully all it did was immediately turn round and run back into cover.

Then I realised Aspen wasn’t visible yet: he had just crossed the stream, and he was calling to the pooklet. Pooklet came out but the bank was too steep for it to want to climb down, and it went back into cover, squeaking rather piteously for mum or dad. Jojo ran off took off along the top of the bank to provide it.

Kitty I don’t want to hurt your feelings but I just don’t like Kitto as a name. However I am happy to consider more suggestions from you – and I hope one of them I like so that you can name it. Two syllables, gender neutral, please.

Tell me privately, not here. We can negotiate, but it’s my call. Ok?

/  September 18, 2018

PS: It’s fluffy as. It now looks like a little black, long legged, short-beaked kiwi.

• robertguyton

/  September 18, 2018

Gezza – the discussion is probably old-hat now, but I responded to your earlier post here:

/  September 18, 2018

I saw that robert, and thank you for that. I have been misunderstanding your sense of humour and I don’t really want you to disappear because some of your more straight, thoughtful contributions have given me pause for thought. The place benefits from that. I can’t help defending the blog or the blogmeister, although I’m not asked to and I don’t need to. This place was my only connection with the world when I went into a dark place when my wife died.

• robertguyton

/  September 18, 2018

I was really sorry to read a while back that your wife had died, Gezza. If mine had (we had an “incident” during the weekend, hence A&E and some ashen faces, mainly mine) where that possibility had to be considered and I don’t imagine I’d go anywhere other than a dark place had things not turned out the way they have (well). I’ll certainly do my best not to further irritate you with my un-humour 🙂

/  September 18, 2018

Glad it is ok, Robert. We are at an age when it may not be so live every day.

• Pickled Possum

/  September 19, 2018

Robert yaw humour is oky doky IMHO
            Not every one GET’S it ..butt how sad to bad.
            I am glad your beautiful wife is OK.
            I have watched a few vids on your food forest life.
            She is inspiring and motivating with her zest, love for what she does with you.

Added my impression.

Got it ! 😀

There’s a very light southerly today – but it’s sunny & warm – so the planes are coming over on their way to land at Welly airport. I’ve finally got the 777 on video. Been trying for weeks but it can arrive anytime from 11.30 to 12.30 and by the time I dash out there and get the cellcam operating and FIND it, it’s too far away or flown into cloud. It’s flying out of the damn sun and the light’s so strong impossible to see if it’s in the screen.

Got a great view of an RNZAF Herc coming in last week on my way to the Chemist’s – or I thought I had. I whipped the mobile out and started scanning the sky – but on checking the vid ‘d got 1 second of it and it flew straight into cloud. 😦

/  September 18, 2018

Sunny, warm and humid here; there was some Claytons rain later in the afternoon that is now trying a bit harder.

• Pickled Possum

It’s freezing here on the West Coast.Raining,windy and I’m sure it’s snowing
      somewhere close.
      The wet dogs tried to follow me inside out of the rain they had 2 shows.
      They have a dry warm place outside my bedroom Door on the veranda…
      They are sitting looking at me with Hush Puppy eyes sayin ‘LET US IN’.

While sitting on the veranda this morning having my morning koffee
      a young kereru flew right up to the veranda and gave a show, it was spectacular
      I’m always asking them to drop a feather.
      There is momma an poppa and youngster flying around and perching in the
      Puriri tree they puff their feathers out when they sit and look huge up there.

How about Feline for the pooks name or Cattus …Latin for cat. or feles
      How bout Kat?? Aunti Kat … sounds promising.

Ok dogs in now!!! they have dried off enuff to come sit by the fire.

/  September 18, 2018

You can the little fulla Ella was an hour late today(arrived some around 4 pm), but she swam over and then down deep and slowly around and up to the feed spot quickly – and she was so very sweet and gentle taking her dinner off the stick and seems to like swimming around chasing the food chuck a little bit when we play the “move the stick around in front of her” game a couple of times.

I’m not going to feed her quite so much. I’m making her a bit fat in the middle.

It’s been bird wars here this afternoon. After I managed to get rid of all the pook urchins and Ivan The Terrible who were pestering me for some treats for an hour, Fledgy Blackbird and his girlfriend Henny flew in when they saw the pooklets and Ivan getting a bread chunk each.

They don’t normally eat bread but because I soak it they like that. The Barney and Betty Starling flew in. Plus two more starlings who haven’t introduced themselves yet. And they don’t normally eat bread either – but they were all tussling over the very small wet bread chunks I threw to Fledgy and Henny, and a couple of sparrows even got involved in the brawl, so I ended up wetting small bread chunks and tossing them to all of them to keep them all happy.

These birds are costing me a bloody fortune at the moment. (Don’t tell the little fulla I said bloody.)

/  September 18, 2018

Still wet here, Possum. Just did an inspection next door and the decks look good. Not very cold or windy, just wet so far. Dogs not impressed no afternoon outing.

/  September 18, 2018

Eight month old juvenile (name suppressed) found on the premises without permission very early in the morning.

Asked if he had been chasing birds. Wanted to know if he was under arrest?

I said no.

5. patupaiarehe

/  September 18, 2018

My lovely lady introduced me to these guys. Lyrically really clever, and some great dark humour in the video. Enjoy 😉

6. Corky

/  September 18, 2018

Geez, the Cryonic chambers must be malfunctioning. Everyone is waking up tonight.😄

• patupaiarehe

/  September 18, 2018

After being away for a while, its nice to see so many of the old regulars are still about. And winding each other up, in the nicest way possible, of course 😉

• Pickled Possum

Welcome Back Patupaiarehe Glad to see your tobacco face again. 😎

• patupaiarehe

/  September 19, 2018

Kia ora ataahua wahine. If you think that’s bad, check this one out. It was screened twice in the late 70’s, to millions of pre-teen americans, before it got pulled off air,,,

7. patupaiarehe

/  September 19, 2018

Some goodnight music for anyone who is still up. Eminem has nothing on this guy.