General chat

“Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Do it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

1. phantom snowflake

/  September 28, 2018

Alien Weaponry are one of the nominees for “Album Of The Year” at the Vodafone New Zealand Music Awards for their album . I’m quite fond of this track; it’s in English and seems to be about someone struggling to cope with the effects of being made an outcast by their peers.

/  September 28, 2018

Yeah! Not a style that generally appeals to me – but this one – it’s up there. 👍
      Great job.

• phantom snowflake

/  September 28, 2018

It’s also quite remarkable that three kids who are still at school have just played a whole bunch of metal festivals in Europe.

/  September 28, 2018

Their guitar work’s great and their vocal harmonies are superb. I didn’t realise they were still at school. That’s pretty damn cool.

• PartisanZ

/  September 28, 2018

Best music phenomenon to come out of Aotearoa New Zealand in years I reckon … Te Reo Heavy Metal … These guys are ON TO IT!

/  September 28, 2018

Cute scene. There’s a coolish northerwester but it’s sunny down in the stream and in my back yard & I see Ivan & Ludmilla are snuggled down having a wee sleep in the sun.
    There’s something very peaceful about the way ducks do that.

My eels are all very active in the stream today. I had the impression they mainly come out at night, but I’ve looked over the fence often today and been surprised just how often two or three of them are cruising around in the clear water during daytime, before sliding back into their respective favourite possies over the far side

12.40pm.

/  September 28, 2018

The wai in the stream was so clear late this morning that at times, and the light so good, that where it was completely calm and there were briefly no ripples or wavelets on the surface, Ella sometimes seemed to be swimming around suspended in air.

And, when I got really up close to her face, today was the first time I ever noticed that in addition to her blue eyes, she also has two pale, and distinctly blue, dots on her snout above both her protruding nostrils.

I’m not sure if they’ll show on any of the 3G vid clips; but they’re visible as white dots in the image below from the web

/  September 28, 2018

I always thought that those were feelers or whiskers. One does learn something new every day.

She’s smiling at me.

I love her transparent wings. She’s a beautiful creature with great charm.

There were some rosellas in the city today, also a single duck (whose husband is usually with her) looking resigned as she sat waiting. I have seen rosellas there before, but not so many.

/  September 28, 2018

Ludmilla and Ivan basically took up residence in my backyard for all of today. They only made one brief visit to the stream.

I was woken at 4.30 am by a happy tui, singing his heart out for an hour or so in the scenty pittosporum. When I got up around 5 am and opened the kitchen window to listen and try to figure out how far away the tui was (it was still very dark so I couldn’t see any birds), I thought, “Hey, that’s clever, the tui’s even included a quiet little regular “reeb reeb” in his song – what a great mimic!”

And then I thought, hang on, let me just check something. I climbed up onto the kitchen bench, and there, in the dark, straight below, on the lawn, just barely discernible – were Ivan & Ludmilla, looking up, waiting. 😀

i told them they’d have to wait for breakfast. It was so dark they wouldn’t even be able to see any wheat grains.

/  September 28, 2018

This poor ducky looked as if she was wishing that her old man would hurry up.

/  September 28, 2018

I don’t know what those little spots on nga tuna are for – but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are sensors that pick up other eels’, fishes’ or animals’ weak electrical fields.

/  September 29, 2018

They may just be to make the eels look pretty and accentuate their lovely blue eyes.

/  September 28, 2018

My fishy friends at 10.15 am this morning.
          Ella, Eli & Tameiti

/  September 28, 2018

Interesting. It’s another still, calm night, but last night’s overpoweringly strong joss-sticky scent that the over-the-fence pittosporum tree’s flowers are giving off tonight is barely noticeable. I had to walk up and actually sniff a flower to smell it.

I wonder why it’s only some nights it powers up the scent like that? My guess is that possibly it pollinates by attracting a particular moth.

There was a plus to the scent and flowers today too – today I was entertained on two separate occasions by a delightful pair of waxeyes, who were hopping about in it, sometimes hanging upside down, getting nectar from its densely packed, tiny purple flowers. Tried to video them but the leaves were too dense.

4. PartisanZ

/  September 28, 2018

Among the best songs ever written IMHO … and an amazing live performance …

mo koe taku aroha

5. PartisanZ

Ditto –

i kitea ahau e koe

6. PartisanZ

One of those nights –

“You sailed your tiny boat across the dark seas of my disbelief”

7. PartisanZ

/  September 28, 2018

Not usually into covers but this is pretty awesome … and very live!

As one of the comments says, “The future of Bluegrass is in good hands”

8. PartisanZ