General chat

“Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Do it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

/  October 2, 2018

More of a grey day than was forecast. Just spent half an hour down at my Eel Spot with my favourite fish. I love that big slinky girl. Really fond of her. She’s so personable. Never says a cross word or gets grumpy. We had a good long play chasing the chunks today. She probably likes the exercise. 🙂

/  October 2, 2018

If you are up here again I’ll show you the tree that all the shags nest in in Donkeys Bay next to Long Beach.

/  October 2, 2018

Yes, I’d like to see that Alan. I just assumed they roosted on the ground somewhere, or on cliff faces, because they’ve got webbed feet and the ducks here seem to bob down and sleep on the ground, never in trees – although several of my seasonally-changing duck pairs of visitors soon learn to perch on the fence, sometimes for quite long periods, to watch out for me.

2. Kitty Catkin

/  October 2, 2018

There was a shag by the stream down the road; it must have come from the river.

Business at the Bird Bistro has been slow today for some reason. The waxeyes are nothing like so numerous, so the fruit shop will soon close.There are hardly any waxys around the place; they tend to emigrate in summer. (weeps)

Bessie and Billie Blackbird are now residents and regular customers.

/  October 2, 2018

A young thrush hopped into my yard before, when I’d just finished feeding the pooks, blackies and sparrows. Gorgeous. Haven’t seen a thrush for ages. It’s mostly blackbird males and females around these days. Although I have heard a thrush nearby lately doing the dawn chorus in the dark. For the last 3 mornings a tui in the tree outside the kitchen has led the chorus.

Hennie Blackbird is still too slow off the mark. I throw chunk after chunk of wet bread to her & she sees it and wants it but the sparrows get it before she has time to react and grab it, even when it lands right in front of her. Fledgy is onto them straight away – he’s primed to grab it when I call his name. The sparrows don’t beat him – or if they do, he grabs his chunks off them.

/  October 2, 2018

I was worried that Billie was threatening the sparrers, but they took no notice and hopped off the fence onto the table. Bessie is a bit shyer.

There are almost always thrushes here. I love their conceited faces, as well as their elegant markings.

/  October 2, 2018

Sometimes both Fledgy and Hennie Blackbird have a quick little peck at the sparrows but it’s usually just a quick ratty snap & the sparrows here don’t pay much attention.

Betty & Barney Starling mind their own business. They’re not interested in wheat or bread – happy just to walk around the lawn stabbing at the ground until they catch a grub or worm or insect.

The tui is back, doing an evening chorus – it’s just getting dark outside. I opened the window to listen and could hear other birds doing an evening chorus as well. I noticed last year that they also do this, at this time of year anyway, before they turn in for the night.

/  October 2, 2018

I just realised something today, too. My sparrers seem to be two distinct groups. In the mornings and evenings the breakfast and dinner crowd includes a few males.

But the lunchtime crew seems to be all or mostly girls – including Cheekybird. Maybe the boys are watching sports or something?

They must be.

The food has all gone now, anyway, except some cat biscuits.

3. phantom snowflake

/  October 2, 2018

My liking for 80s music is something of an embarrassment to my family. But anyway:

/  October 2, 2018

Don’t know why your family’s embarrassed by these. All good music from bands happy to be original in their sounds.

4. phantom snowflake