General chat

“Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Do it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

1. High Flying Duck

/  October 4, 2018

NSFW, but quite funny…

2. PDB

/  October 4, 2018

Getting some great blooms this spring. My Clivias are easily having their best flowering since I moved to my property 10 years ago – they look stunning.

/  October 4, 2018

What colour are they? Have you got beds of them? You should take a pic and post it here.

My begonias are goners by the look of it. I think the pooks have eaten them. My Summer Lilacs on the stream bank aren’t flowering yet but the wandering willy and the nasturtium and lillies and broom are. I used to pull the wandering willy out, but now I leave it there because it’s good to grab onto climbing up & down the steep bank to the Eel Spot.

• PDB

/  October 4, 2018

Oranges, reds and creams – haven’t seen them looking this vibrant or prolific before. Have them dotted around in groups under trees etc – have around 1 acre of gardens and lawn.

/  October 4, 2018

Went down to try and entice Eli up through the rapids with a few flicks of cat meat in gravy into the wai. He was a no show, but Big Ella powered on up through the rapids. Man, she is a sight to see when she does that. Most of her is out of the water. She’s onto the kaupapa now – she heads straight on over to the Eel Spot and waits for each chunk on the stick, gently pulling each one off.

As I was leaving, she’d sunk back down into the deep part, and I saw my 2nd lot of ducklings. Tania Mallard came chugging up the far side with Eugenie, Paula, Trevor, Nick & Gerry. Trevor and Gerry were cute, they were hopping out of the water and running around on the little beaches every chance they got, before Tania’s clucking made them join the rest of the little troupe proceeding upstream again.

I’m hoping that keeping Ella’s tummy full might make her lose interest in the ducklings, but the duckling attrition rate is high & Ella’s not the only eel around in this stream. It’s got a healthy population. Also Bluey is a big danger to the ducklings.

/  October 4, 2018

• PDB

/  October 4, 2018

I’ve got a Pukeko family in my bottom garden – they made a nest precariously positioned on top of a large oi oi there so haven’t mown that particular area in weeks. Anyhow yesterday they were making a hell of a noise and going for a look I could see they were trying to ward off a hawk that was after the babies. The Hawk appeared to (temporarily?) give up.

/  October 4, 2018

They are funny little characters PDB, mine. They’re all neurotic – but every one of them has other different personality characteristics.

Aspen & Sweety are my two favourites. They both relate to me more readily than the others.

5. Kitty Catkin

/  October 4, 2018

Per Vert, my unknown admirer, is ringing again; he’s too shy to show his number or say anything when I answer. It may, of course, be Master Bates. Both of these are fond of making this sort of phone call.

6. phantom snowflake