General chat

“Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Do it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

/  November 2, 2018

7.15 am. Sweety has arrived, appeared at top of fence, walked along low trellis, and flew down to her usual position on the lawn when I opened the kitchen window to ritually ask “Want some food?”

I always hop up & kneel on the kitchen bench top so I can drop a handful of wheat exactly where she is below, and watch over her from above as she pecks up the grains. They mostly fall onto the lawn in a rough 10 inch diameter circular area, with a few outliers bouncing up to a foot away from the main spread.

Many grains are barely visible because they have gone wide, and because they fall between blades of grass. It intrigues me how precise her vision is, and how, after she has quietly pecked up all the grains in the main group, pausing frequently to look around for any threats, and sometimes up at me (for reassurance, perhaps) she then just looks closely at the lawn, & effortlessly spots the hidden grains, even under blades of grass, and gets every single one.

She had just a couple of small bites of her wheat grain bread chunk pudding, made the soft croaking “come here for some food, baby” noise they always make when there is a new pooklet, and flew up onto the fence and disappeared, taking it to the new baby which as usual is being hidden over the far side, somewhere in the bushes, safe from prying eyes, including mine.

/  November 2, 2018

6.45 am (I got the time wrong above, Sweety arrived at 6.15 am). Bluey shrieked a “Hello” from the top of my fence, and came over to the kitchen when I called him, gave a repeat performance of the process described above with the wheat grains. He made the pooklet feeding noise more frequently, and he did not wait for his bread chunk before taking a couple of grains in his beak and disappearing over the fence where I suspect his attempt to take those to the new baby will be thwarted by his big boy Alex triggering his feed baby response and diverting him into giving it to him.

I must give him less wheat. He is so driven to feed the baby he will leave grains there because it is more of a priority for him to feed bubba than to eat up all that is there. The morning shift of sparrows descends immediately and they are history.

The adult and teenage male pooks have the strongest baby care-giving instinct and are more diligent and dutiful than the females at this role. I noticed this a long time back, and when I checked the web they are notable for that.

/  November 2, 2018

MIght go and see if I can summon up my fishy friends down in the stream. Seems to be a nice sunny morning in North Welly at the moment. Haven’t seen Eli for a few days, but that might be becoz Ella & Elvira tend to want to hog the limelight at bit at the Eel Spot lately & have been inclined to tell him to sod off, somewhat rudely.

9.18 am

/  November 2, 2018

One young, purple and black, female resident of Gezza’s stream who has now appeared 3 times in the space of one hour, loudly demanding treats – after seeing Bluey get one small food offering and go away, satisfied – has just been given a quiet talking to about not assuming that good looks entitles her to get away with imperious behaviour and rudeness, and that if this behaviour continues to be displayed, her next Performance Review may well contain a negative rating for interpersonal skills and overall behaviour.

9.55 am
      He took about 10 minutes to pick up the scent of the bloody water I flicked about 6 spoonfuls of into the water, and come thru the rapids, but then Eli responded to my usual. It’s beautiful down there at the moment and I spent about 20 minutes feeding him his preferred meat chunks from the feeding stick as he stood in the deep water on his tail and waited, mouth open to take each chunk gently off the end of the stick. He’s got such a pretty, expressive, face. He really looks cute, and gentle – certainly when he comes up for a feed from me.

Sweety was over the far side and made a few peeps that I know means she wonders if I’ve noticed her and if I might have anything for her and her baby. As it turns out, I did. I threw her a few small bread chunks across from the Eel Spot and she took them away to their new baby. Alex whingeing loudly all the time masks the sound of the baby, but he must be upstream somewhere doing his own thing because I could clearly hear the smaller, higher pitched “feed me” sound of the baby pooklet in hiding, so all is well there.

4. duperez

/  November 2, 2018

That song for me is forever locked in my mind with the timbre and crystal-clear resonance of a classical guitar and will always sound best to me done on one. But Knopfler is such a great guitarist, and that song is such an incredibly beautiful piece of work – in both musical construction and lyrics – that if I’d never heard the original, and he played it like that, I’d still love it.

5. duperez

/  November 2, 2018

Click top left for the Boxer.

/  November 2, 2018

Ok – I did. It said “Home”, and it took me to PG’s Summary Excerpt list of topics for today.
      So thanks for that. I don’t think I’ve looked at a couple of those yet. Maybe later. I feel hungry after feeding every other creature around here.

/  November 2, 2018

Btw, did you figure out the little extra bit that you needed to do to get that tui image to post and display here? I posted some guidance on that but I never got any response. In fact I couldn’t even then find the pic again when I went looking, so dunno where it was posted.

/  November 2, 2018

I heard a tui tuing away this morning, but couldn’t see it. A neighbour says that one is living next door to her. She agreed that the birds are a very fine lot this year for some reason.

/  November 2, 2018

Dunno where dupers disappears to Kitty. Do we have voles in NZ?

/  November 2, 2018

I wish that we did; googling is little help, as some sites say yes and some no. There are ratties down by the walkway, but are they ratties ratties or water ratties like Ratty ?

• robertguyton

Ratty was a vole.

/  November 3, 2018

I know that, thank you. I have been familiar with the book since I was a small child. Voles are also known as water rats, and it’s obvious that Ratty is that and not the other kind.

• duperez

/  November 2, 2018

That’s a really brilliant photo, duperez. Did you take it, and if so. whereabouts? Park? Your garden?

• duperez

/  November 2, 2018

Front garden. Thanks for showing me how to upload!

/  November 2, 2018

Aw mate, those are fantastic pics, especially when clicked on and expanded. I wish I’d taken those ! What camera did you use?

• duperez

/  November 2, 2018

Nikon D500 200M lens. Blow this one up – Oct 24th, dove in the ponga tree 20m from our deck: 😊

/  November 2, 2018

Oh my goodness – the detail in that is stunning. Man, you have got some real talent at this form of art. Do you do this for a living, or is a hobby of some years?

• duperez

/  November 2, 2018

Thank you! Just an individual hobby. Got good gear now and a bit of time to fiddle around. Have a few pics I’m pleased with (especially sports ones.) Since you appreciate them I’ll put the occasional one up. I share some shots here and there for the enjoyment others get out of them

/  November 2, 2018

It’s not worth my investing in expensive gear but in some ways I miss not have a wlldlife doc quality vidcam.

Are you running with automatic settings or can you manually adjust focus and light to get the detail and light effects you want in your pics.

All my cams have auto settings, even the “Manual” settings are just another limited number of specific auto settings. It’s a nuisance when videoing scenes of birds or animals (or planes) because as they move the lens is often moving in and out of focus as it the subject – and the light can suddenly “white out”.

/  November 2, 2018

* as it tracks the subject

/  November 2, 2018

Kitty – the pooks were just kicking up bobsey-di down in the stream, and when I looked over the fence Ella was over the far side and the new baby pooklet had somehow slipped down a sloping, slippery clay bank into the blimmin water. Bluey was feckin useless, shrieking, and Sweety was over the fence below me, asking for food. I’m pointing at her over the baby, telling her to go and save the little baby, get it up into the foliage to safety – she’s unconcerned, just wants some wheat or bread.

So I’m also yelling out over to Bluey to go and carry the baby up out of harm’s way – but they don’t speak English & he’s standing there, with 10 week old Alex nearby, doin’ nothing. Just shrieking to it. Waste of bloody time, it needed to be picked up and carried up into the foliage, away from the edge of the bloody bank.

It fell into the water, trying to get up to Bluey and clambered up the slippery bank again, then fell in again, and swam around (thank goodness Ella stayed where she was under the bank upstream).

Finally, Sweety took a bread chunk over and fed it some while it was paddling around in some floating shrub debris, and after several more slips and attempts to get some traction on the slippery clay, the poor little thing managed to climb up after her and get up into the bushes to safety!

And then I realised why Bluey wasn’t going down to help the baby pooklet. Guess why?

• Ray

/  November 2, 2018

Gezza, wonder if you could post how to do that again or give a link, please.

/  November 2, 2018

No problem, Ray. Here’s the link. I figured out how it works by just looking at what was on the page and uploading an image from my computer’s pictures folder. You don’t have to add a meme text to it, you can just hit

“Generate meme”, and then

:Go to image page” at the bottom – but you need to then open that image (I right click and choose “Open image in new tab”) to get to a page with ONLY the image and a url that ends in .jpg and copy and paste that if you want the image to display here.

6. duperez

/  November 2, 2018

had some minor problems and some busy days! Here was how the mynah problem ended the other day:

/  November 2, 2018

I tolerate ‘my’ two mynahs, Mutt and Jeff, because they meanly keep other mynahs away from the food, the selfish things.

Bird people take it for granted that other ‘birdies’ will be interested in their bird stories, and they always seem to be 😀 A friend has two dux who come and hammer on the door to let her know that they are back, stay for I forget how long, and go away every year on Christmas Eve.

I can’t understand how the goldfinches know when it’s 10 to 5 in winter and turn up here to run relays between two trees, Their time changes as the days lengthen, but for a long time, they come at 10 to 5, never more than a minute or so out, if that, It’s a real mystery.

/  November 2, 2018

Funny, reading that. There was an almighty BANG in the house before all that panic with the baby pooklet in the water started. I gripped the table I’ve got the laptop on, waiting for the shaking from the earthquake’s S waves to follow that first jolt. And nothing happened. So then I thought, I wonder if that was a bang on the mesh of my patio screen door and crept over to the dining room … and sure enough, a little purple and black madam with a red beak and plate, standing on the ramp, looking up at the door … waiting …

/  November 2, 2018

Oh dear. Someone around here just fired off a couple of those fireworks that shoot projectiles and in the air that whistle as they go up and then explode in staccato bursts.
          Now they setting off some that boom. They terrify the pooks, who shriek. I’d forgotten it was November and that fireworks do that to these highly strung animals. Not nice for their babies.

/  November 2, 2018

Oh gawd. Now they’re letting of what sound like (but probably aren’t these days) strings of double-happies. The pooks – snuggled down with their babies – are terrified & their concurrent shrieks of alarm are awful to hear. The people doing it won’t hear these birds; it’s quite some distance away & probably nowhere near the stream. I loved letting off firecrackers as a kid, and I feel like a killjoy saying this, but if they get around soon to banning all but public fireworks displays over Porirua Harbour and other locations like that – well away from my stream – I’ll be happier.

/  November 3, 2018

Dear me, she really is getting ideas above her station 😦

7. Kitty Catkin

/  November 2, 2018

I was surprised to find a set of return address stickers with pretty NZ bird pictures on them and some rather odd press out cardboard things on a card whose purpose is anyone’s guess posted to me by the Stroke foundation….but as the address was wrong and they had ‘Mrs Name-I-No-Longer-Use Catkin’ as the name, they went into the bin. What a waste, and I found that this made me disinclined to donate to them. It’s a blimmin cheek, anyway.

Has anyone else been sent little presents by charities?

/  November 2, 2018

Yes. And this is about 5 years after I asked to be taken off their mailing list because I could no longer afford to give to all the charities we used to and they did. They were cards. I just marked them return to sender and posted them back. I felt guilty, but not for too long because we studied how charities are professional managed & operate in my Communications and PR course some years back

/  November 2, 2018

*we studied how charities professionally managed charities operate in my Communications and PR course some years back – is what I meant to say.

Damn. 🙄
        *we studied how professionally managed charities operate in my Communications and PR course some years back.

/  November 2, 2018

I have had Mouth and Foot Christmas cards sent in the expectation that I will buy them, but I won’t because they are exorbitantly priced & there are not many that I actually like. I just donate them to an opshop in the hope that the F & M will take the hint when no money comes back.They do for a while…

The pen from Plunket is useful, but the Stroke people’s address stickers are a waste of time and money, and I have plenty, anyway. I would think that this sort of thing is a turnoff. It was a total turnoff when a couple of estate agents tried to persuade me to have an appraisal done with a view to selling the house (accompanied by small gifts) before my old man was cold.

/  November 2, 2018

I do make some large donations to various charities, but not ones that do this sort of thing.

/  November 2, 2018

Sending out volumes of such items is actually economic, it generates enuf buyers to cover the production packaging and postage and still have room for a “profit”.

Those annoying letters you get from charities if you gave once because you could afford it at the time and they somehow got your details, year after year, asking if you would like to donate again – often the minimum suggested donation being more than you could afford last time. While they irritate many people, who throw them in the rubbish, those too have a sufficiently high enough return rate of repeat giverss to generate more income for the charity over their costs, & that’s why they persist.

And, if I remember correctly, the normal expected amount that is taken for the actual charitable purpose of the charity is around 25%. 75% goes to costs and management fees or salaries of the charities’ execs and office staff.

/  November 3, 2018

The SPCA sent me some nice things, and they will be given a donation. They would be anyway. When Fido [not his real name] won a lovely prize as Pet of the Month, part of it was some Jimbo vouchers. Needless to say that his parents took these off him and gave them to the SPCA. He wasn’t let to keep anything except a little chilly bag that was no use to him, anyway, everything else was given away for the use of those less pampered than he was. His prize was winning the title.

8. phantom snowflake