Jami-Lee Ross continues attacks with another recording reported on

I thought hard about posting in this – another secretly recorded conversation between Jami-lee Ross and Simon Bridges and Paula Bennett. It appears to be released as another attack on Bridges and National, being headlined as ‘a cover-up’, but it looks to me like fairly normal political management, plus an attempt to go relatively easy on Ross.

Previous claims by Ross and released recordings have been more damaging for Ross’ credibility and more supporting of Bridges’ handling of an alleged miscreant MP.

Bridges promised to keep problems quiet, but Ross seems intent on broadcasting his own failings, and reinforcing again his serious breach of trust in making the recordings in the first place, and then giving them to media (I presume he has at least approved of the release of the recordings).

Newshub are the means of distribution again: New leaked recording suggests Simon Bridges, Paula Bennett planned Jami-Lee Ross cover-up

“You haven’t even told me what I’ve supposedly done,” Mr Ross says.

“Simon told you all about the disloyalty stuff Jami-Lee, and quite frankly if that was put to caucus, that would be enough,” replies Ms Bennett.

“The stuff around harassing staff which I reject, that is the worst. I don’t even know what that is,” says Mr Ross.

“Well you do know what the disloyalty stuff is, and that’s been put to you really clearly. If that was put to caucus, that would be enough,” says Ms Bennett. “We are trying to give you the lightest possible way out of this.”

Mr Bridges and Ms Bennett also take Jami-Lee Ross through a plan to minimise media coverage and the fallout for Mr Ross.

“I give you my 100 percent assurance that if you go with the statement along the lines we’ve talked about, I will never badmouth you in relation to this – privately, publicly, in background, off the record in any way,” Mr Bridges can be heard saying.

“I will do everything within my power to keep the things we talked about last week out of the public [inaudible]. I will do everything.”

And Ross seems to be doing everything he can to make it public. It’s hard to fathom what he hopes to achieve. Maybe he has trashed his own reputation so much he can’t damage it any more, so this is an attempt at dragging Bridges and National down.

Ms Bennett and Mr Bridges repeatedly say they care about Mr Ross and his mental health, adding that if he follows their instructions he could be back in Parliament next year – and could even be promoted.

No chance of promotion now, and I think also no chance of a return to any role in the National Party.

It may be that Ross thinks that he has done nothing wrong – whether that was the case before this blew up or not, he has done just about everything wrong possible in how he has dealt with this.

If Ross succeeds in doing what he appears to be trying to do, trashing Bridges and trashing National, he is substantially improving the chances o Labour having a long stint back in Government.

This looks like more self-destruction of Ross plus an ongoing attempt at destroying the prospects of the political right.

If it were possible this will make a return to Parliament even more difficult for Ross, and it may increase the prospects of a waka jumping bumping.

What has come out so far from secretly recorded conversations is in the main unremarkable private party conversations that highlight how untrustworthy Ross is. I wonder how he has lasted in national this long – has he made threats to try to thwart action against him? And is he now delivering? He seems to be digging his own political hole even deeper.

UPDATE – More from Newshub:

“So it would be for medical reasons?” asks Mr Ross.

“Is that what you want?” asks Ms Bennett. “I think either medical or family.”

“Medical is true,” says Mr Ross.

“That’s right,” says Mr Bridges. “There’s no shame in that.”

“And it means everyone will back off you too – the media and all that sort of stuff,” says Ms Bennett.

The media are doing the opposite of backing off, again now.

It seems to be trying to claim that Ross is an innocent victim, but it makes him look more of a political cretin than ever.

/  November 5, 2018

I imagine Jami-Lee, incredibly, and almost unbelievably, to somehow portray himself as an innocent party to this whole situation, blameless in every way – in the forlorn hope of persuading as many as possible of the weak-minded among the great unwashed to think something like this:
    . . . . . . . .
    lurcher1948 / November 5, 2018
    Not a good start to the week for the temporary leader of the opposition Simon Bridges,as the ghost of JLR has returned to haunt the bullying National party
    . . . . . . . .

But it’s hard to know at this point. I’ll have a read of the NewShub article in a minute

/  November 5, 2018

(I presume he has at least approved of the release of the recordings)

It’s inconceivable that he wouldn’t have. Even though it’s remotely possible he’s just allowing himself to be used to attack the National Party & the Bennett and Bridges leadership combo, this casts even more doubt for me on the genuineness of his claimed-to-be vulnerable mental state. This smacks of a campaign now of calculated revenge.

2. Corky

/  November 5, 2018

It’s mundane stuff, it’s what the idiot public and media read into it that may do some damage. If Bridges survives this, he’ll probably go through to the election unless Labour have a major foot shooting episode.

/  November 5, 2018

Any of Lurchy’s neighbours who voted National I reckon will probably be keeping a low profile today.

• lurcher1948

/  November 5, 2018

I voted for Winnie and Gregg O’connor and don’t discuss politics with friends and I prefer Simon over Judith as shes NOT PM MATERIAL a cyberbullying yes,in it for herself yes but not a PM.

/  November 5, 2018

I voted Maori Party (let’s not even talk about that; it was a very sad outcome all round) and Greg O’Connor – but only because he had falsely hinted he was prepared to consider liberalising cannabis laws prior to the election.

He was extremely rude & disloyal to Little getting himself photographed in public gleefully smashing up Little’s campaign hoarding as soon as poor Andy handed over the reins to Jacinda with an obviously heavy heart & he has voted against liberalising cannabis laws.

So no vote for O’Connor from me next time Lurchy. The silly old git can whistle for it. And I tell everybody not to vote for that bastard again if they did last time. They might pick up my Party Vote still, but we’ll see. So far they’ve been hitting me badly in the pocket because while I’ve only got an income now below $20k, I’m not on a benefit or National Super and the dopey pricks didn’t think about people in my situation.

/  November 5, 2018

I bet that you’re glad that you own your own house; I am.

Childless people on low incomes are fools if they expect anything from Labour.

3. RNZ are playing the part of the recording quoted by Newshub – it looks like they may have also had the recording and have been sitting on it until it went public.

Newshub says “This is breaking news – more to come.” Looks like a drip feed attention seeking stunt by Newshub. There have been reports that material was given to media two weeks ago.

4. Maggy Wassilieff

It shows what we know:
    Jami-Lee Ross needed medical leave.
    Bridges & Bennett were dealing with him compassionately.

Is Newshub and RNZ running with this story to divert attention away from Lees-Galloway’s muck up with the Czech Crim?

• lurcher1948

That’s a none story,National had 9 years and did nothing Maggy

• Maggy Wassilieff

/  November 5, 2018

You’ve not been paying attention, Lurcher.
        The Czech arrived in the Country when Dilly Dalziel was Min of Immigration. (Labour)
        The only desk that this Cezch’s deport order has landed on has been that of Iain Lees-Galloway.

• lurcher1948

/  November 5, 2018

YAWN, you will get a better response over on kiwiblog* Maggy, we are discussing JLR the NATIONAL [deleted] here. David Farrar has a new post up to divert people away from JLR for Gizzy posters like you Maggy

/  November 5, 2018

National ministers overturned 108 deportation orders.

• High Flying Duck

/  November 5, 2018

You keep bringing that up as if it is something other than normal practice. It isn’t.
            It is also quite different from the ILG saga, but I guess it gives you something to say when you have nothing constructive.

/  November 5, 2018

Maggy, be honest, between us girls…Mr Czech is rather yummy, isn’t he?

/  November 5, 2018

you are turning into a conspiracy theorist.

5. robertguyton

/  November 5, 2018

National is screwed. These corrosive leaks will destroy their credibility.

Surely you jest, Robert?

/  November 5, 2018

Sorry, Corky; you’re right. I meant “what remains of”.

/  November 5, 2018

What remained of Labour became the present government.

/  November 5, 2018

Er, no, there is (in theory) a coalition.

In fact. Fact.

/  November 5, 2018

Correct, Robert. Sometimes you have to assume people know the obvious. As you can see that’s not always the case. Fact.

/  November 6, 2018

I imagine that anyone who reads your posts will have worked that one out.

/  November 6, 2018

As was obvious from the fact that you thought that the government was Labour and seemed to have failed to notice the coalition.

6. Slater is Collin’s biggest problem. I doubt she has any control over it, but he probably ensures she won’t lead National due to past associations.

/  November 5, 2018

This is brilliant! National’s wagons are circled to defend against attack from Labour Slater and Lusk! Best outcome ever . The coalition Government must be barely able to contain their cheering!

• I think you’re overstating things, but it would certainly be beneficial for National to further distance themselves from Lusk and Slater. I’m not sure why the ‘Government’ would cheer about this.

/  November 5, 2018

Well, to be fair, any political party watching a saga smearing poo all over their chief opponent & their party would probably be raising their wine glasses and toasting the ratbags doing it at least in private. Sure takes the attention off anything less than honest or positive that might be happening to them somewhere.

/  November 5, 2018

I think you should finish your edits before posting rather than posting with stuff ups.

🌸

/  November 5, 2018

Thanks for the invoice advice, Gezza.

/  November 5, 2018

No worries brother. Are there any speed-reading courses down your way where they teach you how read by quickly scanning groups of words in the lines & how to learn to read for comprehension doing that, rather just letting the individual words register one at time without letting you actually understand what you’ve just read? o-O

• It’s a great tragedy all around. Bridges is simply not suitable to lead, but those two have royally fucked up. They’ve cemented him in place, when simply doing nothing would have allowed Bridges to fuck up all by himself. It bears repeating: It’s like sending in the Italians to overthrow a country when you need the wehrmacht.

7. Bridges is being interviewed on RNZ. he says that in the circumstances he handled things appropriately and got things right.

I think he is handling it pretty well.

/  November 5, 2018

Of course he would say that. He could hardly explore the reasons why National’s fortunes ended up in the gutter in the first place. Best that he blames a “rogue” MP, even one he elevated to a top role and knew the behaviour of quite intimately. Not Simon’s fault, oh no! Bad Jami Lee!

8. Reply
  9. robertguyton

WeTheBleeple 3

“Bridges: “You (JLR) can get through it if your attitude, um, after the time out, is good and positive; and you can be promoted again.”

Time out.

Go and sit in the naughty corner you bad MP!

Timing is everything in comedy. This is gold.”

• High Flying Duck

/  November 5, 2018

You don’t believe people with mental health issues should be given the chance to get treatment and then be rehabilitated?
      There’s Green compassion for you I guess.

/  November 5, 2018

Is Ross trying to make Bridges expell him from Parliament? His motives are more interesting than the tape.

• And the motives of Newshub and RNZ. Have they been fed new information, or just decided to release what they had already been given?

I think serious questions need to be asked of them.

/  November 5, 2018

Are the media pressuring a person suffering fragile mental health?
        Did Bridges and Bennett pressure a person with fragile mental health?

• “Are the media pressuring a person suffering fragile mental health?”

They seem to be playing publicity games with someone suffering fragile mental health, that’s quite alarming.

And this will put further pressure on those who are victims of alleged harassment – do you think that is responsible journalism Robert? Or when a party you don’t like is getting hammered collateral damage doesn’t matter?

/  November 5, 2018

I think both Bridges and Bennett did the same thing, with comments designed to harm Ross – Bennett’s references to the behaviour of married men, etc. If the media’s behaviour now is inappropriate, a so was the Nat leader and deputy then, donchthink, Pete?

/  November 5, 2018

Tova O’Brien is repellently gloating and putting the worst possible interpretation on all this. What a bitch.

/  November 5, 2018

I’ll have a look at 1ewes at 6 on the plus one channel & see if and how they cover this. I hope Bridges is not giving any answers or sound bites to O’Brien. She ought to be totally ignored by National and him. They must have some other useless tits who can report on things relating to this.

Tut tut.

@ Kitty

Ma rang from blimmin hospital as soon the item came on and they were featuring some of recorded conversation. She wanted me to text her niece to let her know she might be coming home tomorrow & I told her I already had, then that I was watching te news. It was a bit of a bummer I didn’t want to shoosh her & hurt her feelings but she got the message and said bye bye till tomorrow.

What i did see of it was Jess Mutch McKay summarising saying there was nothing in it really but it did show that JLR was obviously going to drag things out and JLR would be a constant distraction for Bridges & the media (or words to that General Effect).

11. Reply
    • Not just re-victimisation, but it also seems to be more attempts to claim he is the innocent victim.

• I love reading Ben’s virtue signalling on how to treat women. I expect he treats his tube sock like a princess. Sarah Dowie is no victim in all this, frankly, and neither are Bridges’ office staff. None of that excuses being a cad and a bounder, but they’re all frickin’ adults, and they all knew what they were doing. Nobody got raped or assaulted here. “Misogynistic sex”, what even is that? Is that the sort of sex where men penetrate women with their penis?! My God, I think I’m getting the vapours…

• “Nobody got raped or assaulted here.”

We don’t actually know that, nor that there were no victims, unless you know of evidence I haven’t seen. But I think it’s a fair assumption that the ‘harassment’ wasn’t at the serious end of the scale, or someone would have taken more serious action. Ross has apologised to one of the women for his inappropriate behaviour.

There have been a lot of assumptions made based on little information.

/  November 5, 2018

“Sarah Dowie is no victim in all this”
        What?!?
        What????

/  November 5, 2018

has Ross been having coitus with Sarah?

12. duperez

/  November 5, 2018

Defining this stuff as ‘covering up’ is silly. They were trying to handle the situation involving themselves privately. Is everyone in any aspect of life who does that ‘covering up’?

Secondly, headlining the latest bits as a ‘cover up’ is a political statement and judgement.

Emphasis on those points though takes away from a bigger point.

A couple of weeks back the condemnation of Ross reached a critical note with the harassing of women and the blockbuster ’15 more women.’ That was to be the clincher for his end. Supporters of Simon Bridges had a serial offender, an offender of the worst kind in the prevailing climate. Bridges could bring in the 15 to finish him off.

The bits released in the latest tapes and the editing of those bits suggest something else. The abominable and outrageous behaviour to whatever number of women over whatever length of time in whatever circumstances pales in comparison to the abhorrent, contemptible despicable stuff. Disloyalty to the party.

A number women may have been used and abused by Ross. I wonder if they expected a second round with the leader and his deputy.

13. robertguyton

/  November 5, 2018

” But I cannot understand why (Bridges) concluded publicly that Ross was the information leaker. The report was inconclusive. It relied on contact with a reporter (not Tova O’Brien), Mallard and a police officer. Mallard has explained how the contact with him was accidental. The other contacts appear to be innocent. Unless there is further information that is not in the public domain yet the result seems flimsy.”
    TS

/  November 5, 2018

Part of the reason will probably be that it’s already clear JLR seems to be a pathological liar & at the very least someone whose word could never be trusted. He seems to be the type who might leak something to a journo friend with instructions for that journo to leak it to the loathesome Tova O’Brien & then be quite happy to say hand on heart “I never leaked those details to Tova”. Who can say?

🌸

“Who can say?”
        ‘parently Simon can.

/  November 5, 2018

Why are you being particularly moronic today? I hope you haven’t been eating the wrong kind of mushrooms.

If JLR did as I suggest, but neither the 1st journo not the execrable Tova would reveal their sources to anyone, including Bridges, and there is no documentary evidence (unless Mallard has it and is not disclosing) then could could Simon patently know?

I think you should go and take a mogadon and have a lie down robert.

/  November 5, 2018

* then how could Simon patently know?

Sorry, ma rang when I was typing that. I visited her at hospital, she wasn’t feeling great I took her for a walk, now she feels much stronger and it’s highly likely she’ll be coming home tomorrow ! I have the gift. I am a healer.

/  November 5, 2018

Good to hear, G. Good luck with healing Robert though. I think an infected hair has ingrown and destroyed his brain today.

/  November 5, 2018

Ad Homs are so…yesterday, Alan. Get present!

/  November 5, 2018

He probably just needs more road cones, Sir Alan.

/  November 5, 2018

About 6. One after the other.

14. robertguyton

/  November 5, 2018

“The Haumaha report is about to be released. It is about an appointment/employment process. Bridges and Bennett are in the same boat as Haumaha as they have been caught out having the wrong attitude when it comes to allegations of inappropriate behaviour towards women.”
    TS comment

/  November 5, 2018

This is going to be a bit of a minefield for JacWin to negotiate robert. It doesn’t really matter what decision is made about Haumaha’s appointment – whether it stands or he should step down (he obviously SHOULDN’T have been appointed to this – job; quite apart from the other allegations against him, his Mrs is a criminal) – it’s going to piss off one or more segments of both Lefist Radfems and the Green Radfems & quite likely the Maori MPs.

/  November 5, 2018

Really, Robert? Ross is gone, Haumaha isn’t. Nat vs Labour dealing with the culprit.

15. robertguyton

/  November 5, 2018

The issue that’s being highlighted now is the behaviour of Bridges and Bennett is “managing” what they claimed were serious harassment of women by “having a quiet word” with the offender. In other words, by-passing correct process, sweeping abusive behaviour under the rug. That’s what’s being revealed (again) by the latest leaks. Do you agree?

/  November 5, 2018

No. The quiet word was, “You are out.” The correct process otherwise was for the women to go to the police if they wanted to.

What on earth do you think they should have done? (If you think about it at all other than to look for mud to throw?)

/  November 5, 2018

Natural justice, Alan, refusing to detail the complaints against Ross?

/  November 5, 2018

Transparent utter b.s, Robert. One minute you complain they swept it under the carpet, the next they treated Ross unfairly.

They told Ross about the harassment complaints and sacked him for his treacherous disloyalty. I would sack you for deliberate stupidity.

/  November 5, 2018

Thus proving you are unfit to employ anyone, Alan. Noted.
            Telling someone is not sufficient (unless you are a corrupt dictator).

/  November 5, 2018

I am an excellent and uncorrupt dictator and you are an overly hairy troll who I would never employ, Robert.

/  November 5, 2018

Hirsute-ist! Add that to your list of failings, Alan!

16. Loki

Who benefits?
    Attempts to damage Bridges (which this latest disgusting display of scumbaggery by JLR fails to do) is Good for who?
    Judith Collins
    Winston Peters
    Despite Slater hiding the leaks and pressure continues.
    Senior national critics of Bridges are now firmly behind him.
    There is no way they will allow the scumbags surrounding JLR who are using him to damage Bridges succeed.
    They are now actually doing the opposite of what they intended.
    Which keen students of the monster will know is what usually happens.

17. unitedtribes2

/  November 5, 2018

I wonder how many people had that tape and who actually passed it on the media and when. Slater has said in the past he had all JLR recordings. Maybe this isn’t JLR gender but Slaters. I don’t know were and what Slater is doing now but he has obviously gone to the dark side himself.

/  November 5, 2018

Yep. The tape is not the news. Who is deploying it and why is.

18. robertguyton

/  November 5, 2018

“And remember this all started because Bridges offered Ross roles and ranking that he later withdrew – after Ross accepted the deal! Bridges knows about breach of verbal contract: he’s a lawyer! Such blatant morally-corrupt behaviour was always likely to alienate another top Nat MP. Bridges obviously felt his position was so strong that it wouldn’t matter. If not for Ross taping him, he would have been right about that.”
    TS

/  November 5, 2018

Who is this idiot over at TS? Seems to be as thick as two short planks if he hasn’t kept up with the play over how the spokesperson roles are allocated. The made Jacinda the Deputy leader of Labour and turned out to actually be the leader. They’re just lucky Andy’s didn’t get vicious about it.

19. robertguyton

/  November 5, 2018

“Imagine if the CEO and 2IC of any corporation or similar had been caught colluding on covering up and promising the alleged harrasser future promotion if he just laid low until it had all been swept under the carpet and the victims paid off.”

/  November 5, 2018

Any evidence the victims were paid off?

“Imagine if…”
        ‘K?

/  November 5, 2018

No. You implied a parallel with Bridges/Bennett which is implying that’s what they did. Now you are lying about that too. Disgusting.

• Alan. Don’t be silly, please. Thanks. P.s. Did you notice the ” ” quotation marks? They mean something.

/  November 5, 2018

They mean that you are now scurrying to hide behind whoever you quoted without attribution. Disgusting and gutless.

/  November 5, 2018

How boring you are, Alan. I attribute my quotes and if I forget, please assume, TS. As someone pointed out, that’s where I draw a lot of opinion from. If you haven’t worked that out yet…what can I say??

• Please assume that Allan isn’t the only reader, and that many readers may not know your shorthand.

If you post quotes in comments, then properly attribute it, with a link if possible so people can see where it’s from and if they want to they can check the context, and the person being quoted. This is basic blog etiquette.

/  November 5, 2018

All you can say is troll crap judged by your contributions today, Robert. If you can’t do better, go away and stop polluting this blog with rubbish.

/  November 5, 2018

• Sure, yes, no worries, Pete. I’ll attribute every quote. It’s too hard, I know, to paste text into google and discover where it came from, too, too hard and I don’t want to stress readers here, so yes, hand-feeding, sure, no worries. I’ll do just that.

• It’s common practice and common sense to attribute and link with your comments. They also ask for that at The Standard.

• What the fuck are they victims of?

I’ve worked in politics. Approximately 50% of all the people you come across treat you like that. It’s an occupational hazard. In my case, I worked for ACT, although it has to be said that it was mostly other staff who behaved that way in my experience. (The MPs were mostly lovely, with one exception, but even he was only an occasional arsehole.)

Honestly, if you got rid of all the people in Wellington that behaved like JLR, it would be a ghostly precinct.

20. robertguyton

“The political fallout

Though Dr Hodge and Ms Smith hold differing views on whether Mr Ross and the women got a fair go, they both agree the whole affair – sparked by the leaking of a document that was going to be made public anyway – has been a trainwreck for the National Party.

“I think it was probably a mistake from the get-go to go after the leaker of the expenses,” said Dr Hodge.

He said the National Party leadership may have gone after the leaker thinking the expenses were just the “tip of the iceberg”, but “it’s not like they hold official information, or the Chinese were dependant on finding out how many miles he had driven”.

“The whole thing is a bit of a disaster,” said Ms Smith.”

/  November 5, 2018

Those two are no more experts on this situation than any of us. They don’t contribute anything new or insightful.

/  November 5, 2018

We “don’t contribute anything new or insightful”, Alan?
        That’s a cynical view.

/  November 5, 2018

Don’t pretend I said that and stop trolling here.

/  November 5, 2018

That’s exactly what you said, Alan. You might not have been aware that you did, but…you did. Thanks.

/  November 5, 2018

“They” is not “We” – even for dishonest idiots.

21. robertguyton

“Paula and Simon do the Splits

Not very well it must be said. They spreadeagled themselves even more clumsily than even that Act chap Seymour. They offered the sick Jami – Lee Ross a Holiday; a friendly return to Caucus; and a Promotion.

Provided he be loyal to Paula and Simon – and agreed to be blamed for monstrously vile behaviour performed on four unidentified ghostly women.

Ross enquired what evil behaviour on which Ladies. He got no answers. He also insisted he had not leaked on Simon’s expensive limousine jaunt to familiarise himself with a small part of the population of New Zealand.”
    TS

22. robertguyton

/  November 5, 2018

“So Bridges was very wrong to claim bad behaviour from Ross without telling him what it was. That would piss me off as well.

How about appearing in court on charges where you are not allowed to know what the crime is. Sounds like Turkey or China to me.”
    TS (The Standard)

[Ignore the request to provide links at your peril. PG]

23. robertguyton

/  November 5, 2018

Mike Williams said on Nine to Noon today that Labour polling has the Nats at about 37% at the moment.
    Oh dear!

• PDB

/  November 5, 2018

To be fair UMR who Labour uses isn’t known for very accurate polling – traditionally they have National too low.

• And ‘internal party polls’ without any details or history are largely a waste of time.

For example UMR could have had National below 40% all year. Without knowing that a single claim by a party insider is useless information.

24. Geoff Mctague

/  November 5, 2018

Leadership, where, why and by whom. No not a chance.New Zealand is so corrupt it thinks this behaviour is normal. Corruption is not normal, well in sane societies anyway. This is so banana republic.

1. Jami-Lee Ross continues attacks with another recording reported on — Your NZ – NZ Conservative Coalition