General chat

“Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Do it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

Hennie Blackbird

Was initially rather stand-offish, but she’s getting more confident about letting me know she’s there. Likes wet wholegrain bread. worms & insects.

And a moving one …
      (tested out an editing feature in Imgur. It lets you enhance a gif – what wasn’t clear is that it only saves it as a single image.)

• Ray

/  November 7, 2018

Stuff the Blackbird, got heaps of those, how are the baby pukeko, any signs?

/  November 7, 2018

No, Ray. I went for a walk Southwards along the bank late yesterday afternoon and came across Bluey and Sweety with Alex, the nearly 9 week-old. And they were up here at my place together this morning, with Alex, again. They were giving him their full attention. I haven’t seen them leave small pooklets alone before. Never. Always one bird stayed with them.

Their young whine incessantly till they’re about 6 months old. But the baby pooklets make a distinct high pitched whistling kind of cheep when they’re being fed. I haven’t heard that sound at all either yesterday or this morning.

• Ray

/  November 7, 2018

Mother Nature is brutal, we had a blackbird with a white tail in the garden who lasted three years until she made the mistake of nesting in the grapevine, a semi wild cat got her.

/  November 7, 2018

And just on the blackbird, they’re getting slowly tamer with each passing day.

/  November 7, 2018

Two blackbirds were glowing in the sun; their back feathers were stunning, really iridescent. They were blue and green and who knows what.

I cannot understand why the waterbowls get into such a state so fast; what on earth are they DOING to them? What a way to treat a piece of antique Meakin china, they don’t deserve such a posh bath. And they wouldn’t have had it if the opshop hadn’t been giving it away….it still looks good, I am not fussy about the odd chip that’s not really noticeable.

/  November 7, 2018

Some dumbum is having their fireworks tonight, but Fido was just lying by the door looking at them. The hill magnifies and echoes the sound, so they sound extremely loud. He used to go off his head at thunder and fireworks, but the distraction therapy of making thunder the cue for a special play time must have made him not mind fireworks, too.

I would still like to see them banned for private use.

2. wooden goat

/  November 7, 2018

I want to apologise to Kitty Catkin.

KC – When I first arrived at this blog, I somehow got the impression (I can’t remember how) that you were left-leaning and favoured Labour (and a few of my posts were accordingly a bit nasty towards you).
    However, I’ve seen a number of **excellent** recent posts from you in which you have *really* socked it to “Princess Jacinda” and Labour! Good stuff and well done!

My apologies for seeming to have misread you. Keep up the good work!
    – wooden goat

/  November 7, 2018

Thank you (blushes pretttily) May I call you Goatie?

My late husband was a founding member of ACT. a party which has been much maligned and misrepresented. sighhhh….

• robertguyton

/  November 7, 2018

Lordy! Why not call him, “Woody”?

• wooden goat

“May I call you Goatie?”

Yes, no worries…….. 🙂

It sounds like your late husband was a good and intelligent man, being a founder-member of ACT.
        I **so** want to vote for ACT in the next election but a couple of things put me off at present –

1 – I think they have a naive policy on refugees – they want to take more of them. ( I should clarify my view on that – I’d have no problem with non-Muslim refugees coming here – it’s only the Muslims that I don’t want coming here).
        I would hope that ACT would have learned from the *disastrous* policies of Europe and the UK in that regard. How a supposedly right-leaning party can have such a policy mystifies me but anyway…..

2 – I don’t like David Seymour at all. He comes across as a smug, grinning schoolboy and I don’t rate his intelligence very highly. I think they really do need to change the leader.

There is a **huge** gap in NZ politics for a party with what I would call unapologetically “hairy-chested” policies. By that, I mean things like the following –

* Telling the UN and EU “where to go” and withdrawing from the UN refugee agreement.
        * Not having anything to do with so-called “climate change”. The CO2 level in the geological past has been as high as 7,000 ppm (it’s around 450 or so now), and life *thrived* then! Same with “average global temperature” – that has been as high as 20 Celsius in the past for **many tens of millions of years** and again, life thrived. We are supposed to be panicking if it rises by 0.5 degrees Celsius!
        * Axing useless outfits like the Human Rights Commission, Race Relations and Women’s Affairs.
        * Taking the chainsaw to hugely-wasteful spending in both local and central government. I’m convinced that you could chop a billion dollars out of Auckland City Council’s budget *easily*.
        * Lots more but I’d be here all night….. 🙂

– wooden goat

• Griff.

Call it
          Kea
          Krissx
          Reality check
          Marne Shepard
          Or just troll.

/  November 7, 2018

sighhhh….tempting as it is to start, I won’t because this is General Chat and not the place for politics. I will say that David is a really good bloke and I like him very much.

3. Zedd

/  November 7, 2018

This Aussie singer.. unfortunately was a ‘one hit wonder’ but what a voice

4. wooden goat

/  November 7, 2018

I apologise if any of my earlier posts came across as trolling. They wasn’t meant to be that at all – none of my posts are meant as trolling.
    If they came across as if they are, that’s likely because I have Aspergers and so sometimes my communication (verbal and written) isn’t as clear as it could be.

I hope that helps in clarifying things.

5. wooden goat

/  November 7, 2018

I also didn’t realise that politics wasn’t appropriate for the “general chat” area. Thanks for mentioning that, KC – it’s appreciated!

6. Griff.

/  November 7, 2018

Bloody huhu grub beetles .
    First I heard it crash into the solar panels then bounce off the battery shed outside.
    Next its smashing around the house.
    Now the dogs leaping around trying to catch it .
    Bug mayhem.