General chat

“Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Do it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

/  November 12, 2018

Another beautiful morning. Today’s forecast: Fine.🌟 Light winds or sea breezes. Looks like we’re in for another 3 days like this too.

I summoned & fed Elvira down at the Eel Spot at 9 am. Granville turned up too, but he stayed over the far side of the stream, after Elvira gave him a nudge on the tail to show him who’s boss.

Granville’s about 2 feet long, & he’s a distinctive olive colour. It’s a pity he couldn’t come closer. I think he’s a shorfin eel. He’s a different colour from my others who are all longfin eels & who, in the water, are varying shades of grey on top.

Shortfin eels (their anal and dorsal fins are the same length and start at about the same point on their body; unlike the longfins’, which are only found in New Zealand, whose dorsal fin starts further towards their head, and which are one of the biggest eels in world) are found throughout New Zealand and on Chatham and Stewart Island. However, they are not unique to this country and also occur throughout the South Pacific – in Australia, New Caledonia, Norfolk and Lord Howe Island, and perhaps Fiji.

Bluey and Sweety swam over to a spot about 4 feet away from me on the parenga, so I threw them some wheat and they happily gobbled that up & just then quietly grazed on some long grasses. They both took a bread chunk to Alex, who was whingeing somewhere but not game to approach.

/  November 12, 2018

Alex doesn’t whinge, he requests.

/  November 12, 2018

He requests, loudly, whinily, and constantly – for 30-40 minutes at a time – if he’s on his own and sees his parents anywhere. Pickles and Jojo were just the same. They ruined a lot of video clips because all you can hear is them bloody whingeing in the background, whatever’s going on that I’m trying to video. >:D

/  November 12, 2018

Oh man, I wish I’d been videoing that scene. I’ve made ma’s lunch, changed her sheets, made the bed and hung out her washing – & left her to do the dishes and told her she never says thank you & she really should – I always thank her !

And then I came back to Pookden Manor & left her to her own devices and phone calls, and went down to the stream, downstream a ways, in a different place from the Eel Spot, to see if I could attract young Eli upstream for some kai. I haven’t seen him for a few days (nor Big Ella, for that matter). But Elvira powered up thru the rapids alone, so I fed her some more again instead, and have kept some meat chunks for later in the day.

Anyway … a mumma duck went cruising by with one little ducking peeping & zipping around her. I could hear more peeps from further upstream, and she was cluck-quacking, but away upstream I could see two more – Robert and Rowena – having too much fun, paddling around, dabbling and looking for nibbles among the overhanging foliage, and running up onto the banks, exploring.

When I came up I noticed, looking back down, that the beautifully clear water, which had been steadily getting a little murky as I fed Elvira, was now a thick, olive, soupy colour and the stony bottom was no longer visible. This means they have opened the floor control gates up at Stebbings Dam, about 10k upstream, where there is a native plant regeneration project underway, and where lots of native fish can reportedly been seen.

Robert and Roberta then paddled into view, over the far side, just a little way up from the Eel Spot, carrying on having fun paddling about & looking for nibbles, sometimes doing their own thing and sometimes swimming together.

I was just thinking how cute Robert looked down there, a fluffy little black and yellow tiny tot on the water, because I could see his black little webbies paddling away beneath him – when
    suddenly – out of the olive murky depths – all near-four feet of the long, dark, shape of Elvira loomed up directly behind and beneath him ! 😮

“Jesus Christ !”, I thought, “I’m just gonna have to watch this – I can’t save him in time” as she powered after him, head now only 6 inches from his little happily paddling form, & she instantly changed her mind and dove down beneath him turning to go back downstream.

Robert and Roberta, about a foot further upstream than Robbie, just kept happily paddling away, peeping, completely oblivious to what had just happened. It was the most amazing scene I’ve seen yet in Gezza’s Stream.

/  November 12, 2018

Thank goodness she dived in time,,,,shudders….

She may have been winding you up.

I found a poor wee dead bird,,,a very new one. I put him where he could be washed away and out to sea.

But my big, black ‘neffie’, Spot the dog, recognised my fairy tread and began to whine and howl because I didn’t stop (I couldn’t) How flattering. Spot is the dog who allows cats and kittens to bash him up. The sight of a dog being bashed up by an animal not much bigger than his paw is very funny….it’s impossible not to laugh.

/  November 12, 2018

I’m just heading off down to ma’s for the night. No internet access. Must find out from Al how he set up my iPad to piggy back off his FWPh when I was up at his cabins. Might be able to do the same thing with my Nokia smartphone if I buy more data for that.

Honestly that scene with Elvira looked like something out of Jaws. She’s so massive in comparison with weeny ducklings. And literally just appeared out of the gloomy depths behind them. She was definitely after Robert, but she decided against it. Hopefully feeding her is discouraging her from chasing things she’d normally take – like ducklings.

It’s a calm, peaceful evening, just starting to cool off a little bit. I’ve just spent 20 minutes looking over the stream, enjoying a coffee as the dusk falls. It looked cute – two sections along from me, Sweety was perched atop the fence, saying nothing, not coming any closer, but also just standing and looking down at the stream.

While we were there, a solitary little waxeye appeared and started doing some air dancing like Turqs Tui does. He kept it up for about 10 minutes. At first I thought it was a fantail, but no fan tail. Must be something in the air here. Or maybe they also eat flying insects. What ever the reason, birds just love flitting up and down and around about my stream.

Seamus Shag went zooming past at low level below, looking like a mini-SR-71, heading along downstream, following its course, late yesterday morning. TTFN

/  November 12, 2018

Settings>Connections>Mobile Hotspot and Tethering>Mobile Hospot On. Note the password and enter it on your iPad when you connect via wifi.

/  November 13, 2018

I saw a flock of white doves grazing.

/  November 13, 2018

I love seeing an air dance.

3. phantom snowflake

/  November 12, 2018

Random 90s track. (A good one, though.)

/  November 12, 2018

Speaking of tracks, spent 6 hours clearing gorse from an overgrown one today and my back is tired and complaining. Plenty more to do because they’ve been neglected for too long.

/  November 12, 2018

I saw a weedeater advertised that rolls up the cord – not that gorse can be done with that.

The fool who brought gorse here has a lot to answer for. I seem to remember that it costs the farmer across the road the equivalent of a worker’s wages to keep the gorse under control.

/  November 12, 2018

Yes, should have walked and sprayed it a few years ago. Now it’s a major inch by inch cutting and clearing job. The worst part is all the smaller growths under the big ones. Take for ever because the stuff is so tough they have to be cut individually. This bit of track gets full sun which is why the gorse has gone rampant.

4. phantom snowflake

/  November 12, 2018

I just had to compliment a young man in the cafe today who had lovely long hair down to his waist, the lucky sod. Just like the 70s ! It must look marvellous when it’s not tied back.

5. Kitty Catkin

/  November 12, 2018

I haven’t watched Fair Go for years, but did tonight. I wasn’t overimpressed with the male presenter with the silly moustache who tried too hard to be funny, but did learn that if you find money it’s theft by finding, even a small note…but would anyone bother to hand in $5 or $10? Who’d even think of asking the cops about it if they lost it ? It’s more trouble than it’s worth.

6. PartisanZ