Open Forum – Tuesday

20 November 2018

Forum

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site may be limited.

Next Post

/  November 20, 2018

“It’s clear Jami-Lee Ross inflicted some damage on National. Quite how much is unclear.

Nevertheless, I doubt anybody within the party’s caucus would deny its armour has been dented by the fiasco.

But assuming nothing else emerges, National seems ready to take the lessons on board and move on. For the most part, the media seems to have become aware of the dangerous territory its coverage was veering into.”

National enjoys few natural advantages over this government in an MMP environment. One tailwind it does enjoy, however, is that if you don’t count ACT, which few people seem to do these days, it is really the singular voice of opposition.

That gives it a lot of freedom in crafting an alternative agenda while the Government is weighted down by the need for three-way agreement on anything significant.

The next election is still almost two years away and, its alternative vision being one of the few things it can control, National shouldn’t rush how it crafts it. The unco-ordinated nature of the governing troika isn’t going to change anytime soon.

In the meantime, there is one other thing that National does control: internal discipline. The recent troubles appear to have been non-fatal. MPs would be wise to ensure the party is not put to the test again.

Good analysis, I thought. It looks to me like Jami-Lee has shot his bolt (and both feet).

• David

/  November 20, 2018

Looks like Jami-lee may have taken out whaleoil though.
      Bridges is a smart guy, like him or not, and he will have learned lessons and be better for the experience. As long as the economy keeps performing and nothing comes of the work of Cullen and Bolger Ardern is on track for another term…and probably another baby, so Bridges is a victim of timing much like Shearer was.

• Using WO terminology Slater went full retard trying to use the JLR self destruction to bring down Bridges and National, but then suddenly went silent. It looks like after pouring on petrol and playing with matches he has crashed and burned.

It’s a bit like an extended ‘weekend at Bernie’s’, a sort of ‘month at Whale Oil’.

/  November 20, 2018

Where’s robert? That bait above has been in the water for over half an hour now. o_O

• robertguyton

/  November 20, 2018

Sorry, Gezza; baby-sitting. Too busy to bite. The article? I don’t buy it, but I can fix it:
            “Nevertheless, I doubt anybody within the party’s caucus would deny its armour has been dented ruptured by the fiasco.”

/  November 20, 2018

That’s not a proper fix. You’ve left an edit in there. You need to choose “accept” edit before copying & posting. o_O

• robertguyton

/  November 20, 2018

Gezza – as I’ve written before, I don’t have an edit option when posting here. There is no “accept” for me to choose, only “Post Comment”.

/  November 20, 2018

Post comment tristesse is a near universal complaint after reading your contributions, Robert.

/  November 20, 2018

I cannot accept this nonsense, robert. Especially not while on nurofen.

• robertguyton

/  November 20, 2018

Imagine if you weren’t on nurofen!

😀 👍

2. I have done a bit of curling, at Lowburn (last century), and while there was a dram or two consumed everything was orderly and no one showed any signs of drunkenness.

3. Corky

/  November 20, 2018

Spark has reiterated 5G will be implemented soon. What Spark hasn’t mentioned is 5G may have negative health impacts.

• Griff.

/  November 20, 2018

You do know you are doing it wrong.
      A tinfoil hat works like a parabolic dish to concentrate electromagnetic radiation within your cranium magnifying the effects..
      This is the number one cause of crank magnetism in the blogosphere.
      To do it right you want to shift to a full body Faraday cage made from fine wire mesh with long copper earthing straps trailing to the ground . To insure your sleep is uneffected by mind altering EMF rays I also recommend building a rabbit hutch like structure of chicken mesh and rebar totally encompassing your sleeping arrangements.

/  November 20, 2018

Still hurting from yesterday? What would you know about the subject? Nothing as unusual. I had to fight Contact to stop them putting in a smart meter. They came at me with science. They stopped when they realised I knew something of the subject. You can check the science on their homepage. So, I still have my analogue meter, 90% of these run slow even when calibrated, so that saves about $20-30 dollars a month as I understand from people who have been forced into having smart meters. I also don’t have the worry about possible health concerns.

May I suggest a little less trolling and maybe something of value to the blog, Griff. We all get you think I’m a nut. It’s just your carry-on makes you look nuttier. No offence.

• Griff.

Yess corks still hurting
          My ribs are aching from all the laughter .
          Hows your amazing solar system going?
          The one with the super efficient panels and the tracking sytem that is so much better than mine
          I know.
          You made it up.
          ROFL
          See corks I do know a little about some things .
          The more you know the more you know what you dont know .
          You on the other hand .

/  November 20, 2018

We have all seen the graph, Griff. You aimed it at me before..with a few other niceties thrown in.

The solar panels are made in South Africa.

• lurcher1948

/  November 20, 2018

Corky im a Contact shareholder,in another way you are paying for my lifestyle other than my pension, WORK HARDER

/  November 20, 2018

”Contact shareholder.” Yeah, no you aren’t, Lurchy. Not if your other posts are to be believed.

• lurcher1948

/  November 20, 2018

But does that make you horny?? my wifes asking for a friend

/  November 20, 2018

No, Lurchy, it causes cabbage syndrome…the stalk starts withering and the head turns to flower. Always turn your wifi off if not in use. Better still, keep its use to a minimum.

4. Corky

/  November 20, 2018

It’s all about tolerance, folks..except if you’re Christian. Christians need to understand they don’t fit into the modern world. This example should send a clear message to those nutters.

• robertguyton

/  November 20, 2018

Oh no! An Australian bridal magazine – destroyed by discerning agnostics!
      God help us all!
      First they came for the bridal magazines…

/  November 20, 2018

Then blogs like this. That would mean way more weeding time on the orchard , Robert. 🙄

• robertguyton

/  November 20, 2018

YourNZ’s under threat from the agnostics?
          For Pete’s sake!!

/  November 20, 2018

”Agnostic?” Doesn’t really describe such people in my opinion. Your NZ is under threat from vacuous comments…another master of such is still to appear today.

5. High Flying Duck

/  November 20, 2018

Just in case you were worried some sense of sanity was going to return to proceedings…

/  November 20, 2018

I remain unaffected by this development as I was unconcerned that sanity would put any kind of damper on this circus or its ringmaster.

/  November 20, 2018

You don’t feel that Craig vs et al represents cruel and unusual punishment for those forced to attend proceedings?

/  November 20, 2018

Thank goodness some poor people aren’t on a jury for it.

A man in Palmerston North turned up for jury service in his pyjamas. He was, of course, rejected. The press made fun of this idiot, but I don’t think that he was an idiot.

/  November 20, 2018

I don’t think income levels & asset holdings should determine jury membership Kitty?

/  November 20, 2018

No, of course not, but if you turn up in tatty old pyjamas and looking a bit barmy, you are likely to be turned down. My guess is that this is exactly what this man wanted them to think, as jury pay is pathetic and the hours can be very long.

If I had to do it, it would cost me far more than I earned just to get back in the evening if the case went on late as I am just within the boundary and they wouldn’t pay for me to get home or stay the night.

Simple solution, turn up looking like someone nobody would want on a jury ! He’s probably spoiled it for anyone else trying it, alas.

/  November 20, 2018

The pay seems to have risen a bit, but it’s still not wonderful. $31 for half a day No wonder that man was prepared to look like an idiot to get out of it.

A friend was called up for the Peter Plumley-Walker case but turned down because someone (lawyer. detective) knew him and that he lived near where P-W had. They only knew each other to talk to at the bus stop, but that was enough. He was quite relieved when the case went on for so long. The pay after 5 days rises, but it’s still quite mean unless you put in really long hours.

Good point. I hadn’t considered that ! Definitely. 😕

6. Corky

/  November 20, 2018

Australian Infidels dodge a bullet. Given the scenario with all three men armed, the death toll would have been 30 plus given the right populated kill zone.

How long before these Muslim nuts look at easier pickings across the Tasman? Of course that makes thing way more difficult for them. But given my estimation of 4000 NZ Muslims sympathetic to terrorism, definitely not an impossible task.

/  November 20, 2018

I doubt if your ‘estimate’ bears any resemblance to reality, so I don’t think that we need to worry. It’s about as realistic as your fear of smart meters which must have given Contact a good laugh..Or your belief that breathing carbon monoxide is good for the health.

The police were watching these three, so there was no real danger.They had to wait until the weapons arrived, and when these did, the police moved in. End of story.

7. Corky

/  November 20, 2018

”What do Muslims Really Think.”. Extrapolation of this gold standard survey gave me my 4000 number. We have been over this several times. Someone has a memory retention problem.

This is all in their minds because someone on this blog knows there is not a problem because they says so.

Yeah, Contact had a real good laugh. I’m laughing too..all the way to the bank. Of course the ignorant never question anything, so apart from costing them money..It may cost them their health. 🙄