Pookie corner (aka general chat)

“Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Do it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

1. Ray

Snigger
    But I like the pukeko stories, they are so cute.

/  November 24, 2018

Umm … last night, when I went down to ma’s, to make her dinner and watch te news on 1ewes, she told me the blackbirds were going in and out of the hedge on top of the fence in her back yard & reckoned they had a nest there. She said they’d built a nest in the hedge for the last 3 years. So we both snuck outside when the blackbird male disappeared, while dinner was being Gezz-cheffed up in the microwave, & I got up on an outdoor chair to have a peek to see if there were any powder blue little eggs in it.

But there weren’t any eggs, this is what I saw.

• Missy

awww….

/  November 24, 2018

I heard that blackbirds take little worms to their babies, so that must be what Billie and Bessie and Bertie and Belle are doing when they are on the ground. I must have a better look.

Bird breakfast was very late today, it would have been daft to put it out in that rain. How does word get out? The late lunch was gone in a very few minutes. I didn’t see anyone standing tapping their claws, wings on hips, squawking ‘Where IS IT ?’

/  November 24, 2018

Well, you’re lucky. All my birds do that ! Pooks, ducks, blackbirds and sparrows. They all get impatient and either screech, quack, whistle and fly up onto the kitchen windowsill (blackbirds) or impatiently cheep & twitter on the windowsill sparrers. Some sparrers also like to flutter like hummingbirds outside that window – or do repeated flypasts: “hellllloooo. We’re heeerre !” sort of thing. So did Ivan Mallard, who seems to have moved on. A pair of ducks only visits for a breeding season. Next season is usually a new couple.

/  November 25, 2018

I have taught mine to be little gentlebirds and gentlehens.

The Birds’ Hotel tree seems to be standing room only at the moment. There is a lot of singing (Oo-ee-chirpy, chirpy, cheep-cheep) going on.

A friend has the same dux appear each year and bang on the door. ‘HellOOOO! We’re BACK !

/  November 25, 2018

I feed them by the front fence. The one who was doing a hummingbird impersonation was looking for a way through the glass, I think, as it fluttered across all the windows and back, hovering and looking in.

Do yours tap their claws, roll their eyes and put their wings on their hips as they glare at the waiter who’s being so slow ?

/  November 25, 2018

Oh, yes, absolutely. Some of the sparrers do. And a few of them have little squabbles with each other about who is allowed on the window-ledge and who is not. They can be very cliquey too. I get about 3 different sparrow squadrons a day, and the late morning one is very bitchy. They often chase some poor interloper a metre or two away, and I find myself trying to pitch some extra wheat or food out to them on their own.

Fledgy and especially Hennie Blackbird have had to learn to be very quick to run up and get their bread chunks. Sparrows are too quick for them. I often find I have to throw a handful of wheat out in one direction to draw the sparrows away and the bread chunks in the opposite direction so F&H can actually get some.

And I I had to have a word with Sweety last week about not screaming the odds and beating her wings in frustration at being refused service. Bluey doesn’t do that, I pointed out.

/  November 26, 2018

Little gentlehens do not behave in that rude manner.

3. duperez

/  November 24, 2018

Musical interlude. Check out the kids doing an oldie. Labelled it “Beach Boys Cover” (it is that version) but probably not knowing the song’s roots or never having heard of the Kingston Trio or the Weavers.

/  November 24, 2018

I’ve always luved the beach boys version – but I like both those others too.

4. duperez

/  November 24, 2018

When the wet rose you’re shooting turns up something like an alien creature floating in to check on you!

5. Kitty Catkin

/  November 24, 2018

I have spent some of the day shortening two ‘as new’ elegant curtains ($11 + post for them and another wider one) for the spare room and am very pleased with the result. There’s enough left from the cutting down to cover the chairs in there. Two curtains, two chair covers and another curtain for the door next winter. Sewing is a pleasant pastime for a wet day.

NB, if anyone wants staple gun staples, a company sells them post free on TM for less than they cost in shops.

/  November 24, 2018

Drat I missed it. Didn’t have my smartphone on me. There’s nary a breeze here again and planes are coming in over Tawa to land at Welly airport. A twin enginned light aircraft flew over circling from the East. It went right overhead and I didn’t recognise the type, but it has an interesting wing shape, a bit like a P51 Mustang’s. Anyway I’d been pottering about and was just about to come inside when it circled round a 2nd time, but this time it was really blatting along, engines whining at full power as it climbed a bit, and then I could hear the pilot throttle back and see the plane start to descend. I hoped for another performance of this trick but alas. that was it. Love to know what aircraft that is, and what the pilot was up to.

/  November 24, 2018

It rained earlier today and the stream’s getting a bit murky as the runoff from the hills & street culverts starts to flow in, even though the rain’s stopped. Granville turned up when it was still reasonably clear, so I went down and fed him. He’s a strong little fella when he bites, he can really pull on the Feeding Stick, puts his back & tail into it. Still think he’s really good-looking for an eel. Gorgeous iridescent colours on him. I noticed he also has the blue dots on his snout, but they’re arranged in a slightly different pattern to the longfin eels’ and he might only have four of them on top – the longfins have 6 or it might be 8. They must be sensors of some kind, I’m still guessing they pick up animal electric fields.