“We’re opening up Queen Street to people!”

To people without cars. This could make Auckland’s Queens Street a more attractive destination. Perhaps it is targeting tourists more than suburban Aucklanders.

I have no idea what downtown Auckland is like these days, I have avoided going there since getting charged over thirty dollars for a few hours parking over a decade ago.

Maybe it will revive and thrive as a pedestrian mall, as long as there are plenty of bike stands or cruise ships.

1. David

/  November 28, 2018

What a great idea. Given the volume of people now living in cities more should have car free areas and certainly more bus free areas.

/  November 28, 2018

And more e-scooter free areas, given the number of accidents. Otherwise there’ll be pedestrian-free areas.

Why not paint a white line on the edge of the pavement and say that they must only be on the outside that ?

• David

/  November 28, 2018

The wife and I went for a blast on E scooters and they are great fun, I hit 27.6kmh which I would guess is probably broken femur speeds. They are hugely popular I am a bit of a convert despite my earlier skepticism.

/  November 28, 2018

They seem like fun, but given the number of accidents, I wonder if they should be allowed on crowded city streets.

2. alloytoo

/  November 28, 2018

I already specify “Outside the city” as a substantial element of my job searches.

I foresee that major employers currently located in the CBD will be considering splitting their CBD offices into two North and South offices. It will cost less and probably make their employees happier.

3. The Consultant

/  November 28, 2018

They need to do something because it’s a fucking embarrassment at the moment compared to the main streets of other CBD’s around the world or even compared to Lambton Quay in Wellington.

A recent job had me taking the train to Britomart and walking the length of Queen Street around 6 each morning and 5ish on the way home. The afternoon trip was always better because there were more people around, but they seemed to be mostly students.

But in the morning? What a horror show, between the large numbers of homeless sleeping in shop entrances and the occasional drunken or drug-fueled fight happening around some of the coffee stands, it was not a place you’d want to be for pleasure.

And the shops suck big time. Again, even in comparison to Lambton Quay they’re just not very attractive. The mystery is that Nuffield Street, running parallel to Queen in the lower half, is what Queen St could be. Similarly with Newmarket and Parnell, and given the developments occurring in the former I can’t help thinking that the commercial world has concluded that too.

4. The Consultant

/  November 28, 2018

Acklkkk – I meant Lorne and High Streets.

Nuffield is the one that parallels Broadway in Newmarket and it was spiffed up some years ago in the same way as Lorne and High streets in the CBD.

And they allow cars and parking. Just getting rid of cars won’t fix Queen Street’s problems.

If Goof wants lessons he should at what Melbourne has done in the last thirty years converting narrow, dark, horrible little alleys into the fantastic “laneways” crowded with restaurants and all manner of foody places, even little “hole-in-the-wall” places. They’re socialist as hell too, so he should not be afraid of what he might learn there.

5. Griff.

/  November 28, 2018

1973 they closed queen st Onehunga to traffic .
    After a slow decline with almost all shops closing the the district becoming a waste land they reopened the mall back up to traffic in 1996.
    Auckland central probably has enough apartment dwellers to support pedestrian only in places. The wonks that are pushing for pedestrian only also want to do the same in other Auckland CBD’s. Pedestrianization kills town centers if there is not enough residents actually living within a few km. Smegwits never learn…..

• Trevors_elbow

/  November 28, 2018

Q Street is surrounded by Student apartments… surrounded. It will work as a pedestrian area below Mayoral drive IF the put flyover on Victoria and Wellesley to support cross cbd flow….

I have lived and worked in the area… the current V and W street flows are horrendous where they cross Q Street due to the frequency of pedestrian crossing signals

/  November 28, 2018

Yes, that was what I was wondering too. If they shut off the cross traffic they are going to create a nightmare. My great grandfather told me he worked as a conductor on the Queen Street horse-drawn trams when he was young. In those days it was the retail centre. I lived in Devonport for 13 years and never shopped in Queen St. Occasionally went there to see lawyers and accountants or possibly a show. Otherwise it’s a tourist wasteland.

6. adamsmith1922

/  November 28, 2018

I’m sorry Mr Goff, when was Queen Street closed to people?

/  November 28, 2018

Well, it must have been since I was last there. I had no trouble walking into and along it.