Young National harassment issue continues

A member of the Young Nationals accused of inappropriately touching a teenage woman after the group’s Christmas function a week ago learned he was suspended by the party only after Newsroom broke the story yesterday of the police investigation.

National had claimed it followed all correct procedures following the incident. The victim had been led to believe the man had already been blacklisted from party events.

But earlier yesterday morning after Newsroom published details of the case, the man had received an email from National’s general manager Greg Hamilton telling him a complaint had been made to the police and the party was temporarily cancelling his membership and barring him from events.

It was the first he knew of the complaint. He has also not heard from Auckland police, who interviewed the woman last Friday and told Newsroom on Monday evening that an inquiry was underway.

National’s belated action over the Tuesday November 20 incident contrasts with public statements by leader Simon Bridges that his party had acted quickly and appropriately. Bridges told media yesterday:

“I learned about it late [last] week. I sought assurances that everything had been handled and dealt with appropriately. It seems clear to me that it has: that they followed very strongly a health and safety plan and did all of the right things, both at the Young Nats event and post.”

RNZ:  David Farrar comments on Young National harassment claim (audio)

A former National party staffer David Farrar, an honorary life member of Young National, talks to Guyon Espiner.

A former National party staffer says the political impact of an allegation of sexual misconduct will depend on how the woman feels her complaint has been handled.

Earlier this year, a young man was accused of harassing four teenagers at a Labour youth camp.

So National’s response to the allegation remains in the spotlight.

Political parties can’t control the behaviour of all party members all of the time, but they need to manage the aftermath or they will get hammered in today’s climate.

/  November 28, 2018

Looking forward to my yesterday downtickers’ comments.

The PDTs are up early.

What happens if it’s a false complaint? I know that some people don’t believe that these happen, but they do.

The chase into the dunnies seems a bit far fetched, and surely someone would remember a man chasing a girl through wherever it was,

/  November 28, 2018

One PDT has done it just now; there were two when I came. I am waiting for mine to appear.

• lurcher1948

/  November 28, 2018

You don’t have much empathy for the victim Kitty, well she could have been wearing a sexy thong and deserved what happened to her RIGHT…god spare me

/  November 28, 2018

I have learned not to believe everything I hear in this respect, after knowing people who have been falsely accused.

I do have sympathy for real victims. But why on earth would you leave your friends and why did they do nothing at all ?

/  November 28, 2018

My florist will busy by the look of it.

/  November 28, 2018

I would say so; I have already collected two.

/  November 28, 2018

Nyah, nyah, I have more than you have.

Unless you divide them by the number of posts, then it’s the same. Damn.

2. duperez

/  November 28, 2018

Political parties manage the aftermath by getting someone like David Farrar on RNZ to put their political spin on things.

And of course that effort becomes an exercise worthy of study by media classes.

3. robertguyton

/  November 28, 2018

Again, from Farrar’s blog and worth repeating:
    MGT @Kiwiblog

“Well it’s obvious that President Goodfellow isn’t leading the response on this one. If he was the young man would have be offered a promotion and the young woman asked to sign a non-disclosure.”

/  November 28, 2018

Is that why you have repeated it on General Forum ?

• High Flying Duck

/  November 28, 2018

Ah yes, take a situation where the alleged victim was very happy with how she was treated and how the situation was handled and ignore her comments and feelings to make a political point by twisting the facts.
      I see what you did there – great stuff Robert – up to your usual high standards.

4. High Flying Duck

/  November 28, 2018

All a bit messy, but it seems the media are reporting on incomplete information at the moment. A lot of maybe’s in there.

Wait 48 hours and we’ll know far better just how well or otherwise this has been handled.

/  November 28, 2018

Is now a convenient time for me to tell you I tolled yews awl sew?
      I can leave it till later if you like? o_O

/  November 28, 2018

I have to go out. I may be some time.

• High Flying Duck

/  November 28, 2018

There’s nothing come out today that changes what I posted yesterday.
        As I said – much is incomplete information. We’ll see how it pans out.

5. david in aus

/  November 28, 2018

Where does organisational responsibility start and end?
    If the offending occurred in a private residence, does the organisation have any responsibility? If it poor management led to it, it could see culpability but I struggle to see it here.

For example, after a work Christmas party, one employee invited another person to their own place; Is the employer responsible for alleged crimes?

The whole story is a false equivalence to the Labour party debacle and placed to muddy-the-waters.

/  November 28, 2018

An employer was considered to be responsible when an employee (male) invited another employee (femalr) to his house and after they had had a few drinks made advances to her. Not attempted rape, just an advance. Even had it been attempted rape, it would have been the man’s responsibility and a police matter, not the employer’s fault.

• robertguyton

Apologist.

/  November 28, 2018

Not at all. Yes, i do know what that means (Apology for Poetry, Philip Sidney)

How can someone who has no idea and can have no expectation that something will happen be responsible for it ? Would the employer be responsible if the employees had been killed in an accident on their way to the house ?

6. robertguyton

/  November 28, 2018

Young Nat’s are..icky! Key hung around with them and felt their … love.

/  November 28, 2018

That’s grossly offensive, Robert. Are you on something?

• robertguyton

/  November 28, 2018

Have you seen the … photograph, Alan? If not, I understand your…naivety.