Food Country of Origin Bill passes final reading

This has taken a while, starting well before the current government took over, but the Greens deserve praise for the passing of the Consumers’ Right to Know (Country of Origin of Food) Bill. The Members’ Bill was introduced to Parliament on 8 December 2016 so has taken two years to get through.

I think that labelling should clearly show the country of origin of food so consumers can make informed choices.

I detest labels that say things like ‘packed in New Zealand’ or ‘some contents may come from overseas’.

An actual label (I just checked): ‘Made in New Zealand from local and imported ingredients’ (tomato sauce).

But most good in my pantry do now name the country of origin, perhaps in anticipation of the law change.

Food retailers should be open and honest about their products. It’s a shame it has taken a law to force it.

1. Ray

/  November 29, 2018

Agree entirely and I really don’t understand why it was opposed.
    Surely it is a basic human right to know what is in our food and where it comes from.

/  November 29, 2018

I don’t care where it comes from as long as it’s good; who cares if the tomatoes come from Italy, NZ or Nether Wallop ?

2. robertguyton

/  November 29, 2018

Good work, Greens. Empowering everyday people, ignoring the squeals of industry.

• Ray

/  November 29, 2018

See Robert, the Greens can sometimes find an acorn, just like a blind hog can.

• robertguyton

/  November 29, 2018

Truffles, Ray. The Greens have the nose for the high-value issues.

/  November 29, 2018

The Greens have the nose for the high-value issues.
          No. Ray put it well. They don’t always. But they are convinced they always do, and they will force people to accept their worldviews where they can.

3. PDB

/  November 29, 2018

Whilst the Greens get given the odd unimportant crumb like this NZL First is at the big table helping influence the big decisions like workplace reform.

• robertguyton

/  November 29, 2018

I don’t regard it as an “unimportant crumb”. The anti-Green comments here on Pete’s “good news” post are the “unimportant crumbs”.

/  November 29, 2018

Well, they are, but so is your sloganesque comment:
        The Greens have the nose for the high-value issues
        But it produces the little side-fights & snipes you enjoy getting and making so I guess a lot of folk are satisfied they’ve a had their chance to snipe with their own biases.

• robertguyton

Including…your good self!
          Did you read the “blind hog” comment that preceded my “high-value” comment?
          Like you, I’m reactive.

Like you, I’m reactive.
            I can see that. I’m wondering what’s causing the reaction. Did your lunch include a lot something that had fermented?

4. NOEL

/  November 29, 2018

Great! Another arrow removed from the Aussie quiver of insults..

5. I am glad to hear this 🙂

btw: I recently read that a foreign cannabis company, has been criticised for using ‘NZ 100% pure’ logo for their ‘Legal products’ ! 😦

goes both ways…

6. Zedd

/  November 30, 2018

Mr Hughes looks better with a beard.. more like an MP, than a ‘fresh face kid’ just out of Uni. 🙂 😀