GCSB stops Spark from using Huawei for 5G

The GCSB is stopping Spark from using Huawei equipment for their new 5G cellphone network. They won’t give reasons, saying they are classified.

There are concerns that a Chinese owned company be involved in communications infrastructure – but some also have concerns about US technology companies with allegations of CIA back doors.

RNZ: Reasons to block Spark’s 5G rollout ‘classified’

The Minister responsible for the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) said the reasons why a Chinese tech company won’t be involved in the rollout of 5G technology here are classified.

The GCSB has turned down Spark’s proposed use of Huawei equipment in its new network because it would raise significant national security risks.

Andrew Little said he was briefed on the decision on Monday but cannot divulge what the risks might be.

“Spark notified the GCSB two or three months ago, GCSB has carried out an assessment on the technology that Spark proposes to introduce and has assessed that technology as posing a national security risk. That assessment was notified to Spark today.”

“Spark have indicated they will have a close look at the reasons for GCSB’s assessment then if Spark wishes to continue with their proposal they then have the option of working with the GCSB on looking at mitigation of [those risks].”

Mr Little said the 5G technology was more sophisticated than older network technology and was not currently in use in New Zealand.

“The principal difference between 5G technology and the conventional 4G and 3G technology is that the conventional technology has an infrastructure core and then peripheral technology such as cellphone towers and the like and they can, in effect, be kept separate but you cannot do that with 5G technology.”

“Every component of 5G technology, every component of the network is integrated and therefore access to one component can lead to access to the entire network.”

He said the GCSB decision was not a complete deal-breaker for Spark’s rollout of 5G.

“Spark has said they are committed to rolling out 5G by the end of 2020, there’s no reason why they can’t stick to that timetable. They have known that they’d have to go through this process… it’s underway and there’s still work to do.”

1. Reply
  2. lurcher1948

/  November 29, 2018

Get rid if your spark modems,they could be spying on you as they are Huawei

/  November 29, 2018

There are presumably useful trade implications for the US. So far as I’m aware the US has the most extensive and most sophisticated overall spying capabilities of any nation and we know they use them to their own advantage and those of their allies or even dodgy regimes they support from time to time for foreign policy reasons. They even spy on their allies. I imagine we don’t do much to mitigate US spying on us. They even have the capacity to force commercial companies spying on us to turn over their data and let them see it. I’m finding this all a bit curious. Are the US really so poor at spotting and mitigating spying & hacking by others? Do they really think eliminating Huawai eliminates the problem? This smells of more “Amerika First, Everywhere”.

• NOEL

/  November 29, 2018

When British Telecom purchased Huawei for their broadband years ago there had to be a British controlled unit in the system. 5G will be stand alone with no oversight. Will Spark and the other players deploy their own individual systems or all use the one system?

/  November 29, 2018

I don’t know enough about the technology to comment. I’m hoping more articles on this will appear. Do we have anybody here capable of detecting US spying and capabilities for cyber-disruption or manipulation?

Hmm – yep.

“China on equal footing from the start
            For the first time in a modern technological revolution, China has entered the race on equal footing — and it’s trying to make the most of it. When it comes to readiness for introducing 5G networks, China is ahead of other industrial nations. The country has 350,000 radio masts capable of supporting the technology, which is 10 times more than the United States, according to a recent study by the US consultancy firm Deloitte. Analysys Mason, a British consultancy firm, puts this down to a combination of “proactive government policies and industry momentum.” Nowhere are the conditions better than in China at the moment.

Setting standards
            Whoever manages to introduce 5G first will not only be able to make huge profits, but will decide which hardware and software set the standards going forward — i.e. how we communicate in the future. Data is the oil of the 21st century.

The US in particular does not want to lose its place in the sun. Earlier this year, Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross announced that the development of new generation 5G was one of the government’s priorities. A National Security Council memo leaked at the beginning of the year stated that failing to do so means China would win “politically, economically and militarily.”

• Trevors_Elbow

/  November 30, 2018

Why for the US Gezza… Nokia would be the next cab of the rank to supply Spark i would have thought…..not a US company

/  November 30, 2018

I’m not the person to ask that. You need to ask that of the people with most advanced most thorough most extensive most comprehensive spying, interception, cyberspace penetration, cyberspying and cyberhacking capability, and detection and mitigation apparatus in the world. The USA.

4. phantom snowflake

/  November 29, 2018

…in which New Zealand’s Deep State blatantly and shamelessly parades it’s allegiance to its master, the U.S. Empire. In return for what?? Pretty much just a pat and a tummy rub. Traitors! That this can happen under an (allegedly) left wing administration shows that our transformation to a Vassal State is complete. Oh the humiliation! (Bonus points go to John Key for simultaneously selling us out to the U.S. while conning Chinese interests out of huge sums of money which actually bought them very little political influence. Talk about rat cunning!)

• Mother

/  November 29, 2018

I know almost zero about technology. But I do know that Church brings freedom, and where the people are free, they are free to fight for freedom. Please Gezza, don’t go off on tangents this time. Attacking my credibility because Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour is a painful nuisance, and rude. I have just now said that we each need to be free to fight for our freedom. Who is truly free in NZ? How many are frightened to speak their mind? How many wish that they could be braver in their actions? We need to fight for our freedom. I know that Church has got this sussed. Whether or not others want freedom is their individual business, however the issue of individual freedom does impact all. I personally have fought with the churches over my freedom of speech. The stripping of my freedom of speech impacts community. I need Church like never before. I wonder if anyone else feels this way. Freedom – it’s a lovely word. The more individuals we have who are free to act bravely, the more NZ can push back against scary forces. Please don’t misunderstand my word ‘fight’. This kind of fighting is not rude, nor forceful, nor violent. However, those are the very things trying to take over NZ. And please don’t presume I think everyone should be a Christian. Nope. I believe in freedom. I believe in decent education for our youth too, so that they feel free to choose. Hopefully, free to rise up and fight for freedom.

• MaureenW

/  November 29, 2018

If the Church brings you freedom, all well and good for you. Are you planning on bombing every thread here with your “clap your hands for Jesus” comments or what? Much better if you stick to the topic(s) being discussed.

/  November 29, 2018

Nah, don’t worry Mother. I’ve already told you how to tackle these issues if you were genuine.

It’s not rocket science to understand, or to understand why. You needn’t bother to address me further. I’ll be ignoring all your future comments that mention Church.

• Mother

/  November 29, 2018

Mean people. Free speech? Genuine free speech is relaxed and polite. Bomb? It seems more like that is your reaction. If you want me out, address that to PG. Your NZ. Mine too. You are rude. Address me with politeness or I will speak to PG about it. He can decide who is best sticking to the topics being discussed. Gezza I will be glad for you to ignore me. I hope you keep your word. CHURCH – there, I mentioned it. Now ignore me.

/  November 29, 2018

Genuine free speech is relaxed and polite.
            Lol. Bullshit. It has no requirement to be either. That’s why it’s called free speech.

I have kept my word so far. You didn’t mention Church. You mentioned CHURCH. I shall watch your progress here with interest now.

• robertguyton

/  November 29, 2018

“Attacking my credibility because Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour is a painful nuisance”
              Is that all?
              Carry on.

• Mother

/  November 29, 2018

Now, back to the topic. If we NZers are so busy bickering and nit picking – yes, I’ve just suffered through some Christian bashing there – we are not spending our energies in useful ways. Is there anyone out there who understands technology well who can be in government for some sound decisions regarding our nation’s sovereignty? We are a precious country. Those who wish to use us do not share our ideology. In a nutshell, our ideology is ‘freedom’. Those who use us whom do not share this ideology will abuse us. (Leave me alone Gezza – Church creates freedom. If you don’t leave me alone I will take it to PG.) We need to be brave as individuals and collectively a free people. What is the point of only worrying about the spying issue? If you can think of a solution, start putting it into action. Be brave. We are yet free.

• robertguyton

This blog is a magnet.

• Mother

/  November 29, 2018

And Gezza, if your idea of free speech allows rudeness toward those who are expressing themselves on a shared topic of interest, then you are a bully – like the ones who practise bullshit in the churches. I believe in Church – keep your word Gezza, or I will take it to PG. Rudeness is the beginning of violence, and I think people are rude on ‘free speech’ blogs because they are frightened. Those ate the ones who will eith

• MaureenW

/  November 29, 2018

tick-tock .. it never takes long for the loony to jump out.

Former special forces?

5. Mother

/  November 29, 2018

Those are the ones who…. I don’t know. Being Christian bashed is exhausting. God bless you all. I’m making tea.

• robertguyton

Chamomile?
      Bless!

• MaureenW

/  November 29, 2018

That’s the tea that induces sleep isn’t it? Fingers crossed.

• robertguyton

/  November 29, 2018

Papaver somniferum is…more effective. Trust me.

• Mother

/  November 29, 2018

Peter George, I need your moderation please. Am I free to free speech without personhood attack? If not, I will stop contributing. Please see your email.

6. Mother

/  November 29, 2018

• Yes you are free to speak, and it should be free from personal attack. Those who have been here for a while are well aware of that.

I don’t have time to monitor everything here, and especially over that last couple of weeks I have had other things to spend time on. We rely on self policing here, and i step in sparingly when I see the need.

Free speech is a hard thing to get right – the freedom to speak but taking into account the need to allow people to speak free from personal attack.

There is a difficulty in different perceptions of personal attack – sometimes it’s obvious, sometimes it is felt but not necessarily intended.

People who are new here can take a while to work out how things work. I would hope that regulars engage respectfully with newcomers and allow them to settle in, or if they don’t like what is being introduced to back off and ignore it. Newcomers can inadvertently upset or provoke, and I try top cut them some slack – but rely on regulars to do the same.

I don’t want to spend my evening going back over things, moderating retrospectively is often largely futile.

So what I’ll do is ask everyone to respect the ethos here, to avoid personal attacks and to debate issues – robustly if you want, but respectfully. Decent free speech sometimes requires self control and consideration of how others may see and feel things.

7. Mother

/  November 29, 2018

“The rudeness toward my person hood will need to cease if you want to allow me to continue being free to contribute.” (part of my message to PGs email)

Thankyou Peter. I am sorry that your time was interrupted over people’s rudeness. I hold to my statement above folks – which means you can easily get rid of my voice if you choose. Why would you wish to do so? It was only 3 people who engaged in Christian bashing. Gezza smelt out the Christian aspect immediately I arrived as a newcomer. It is possible for a non Christian to believe in Church! Yet he knew I am a Christian (and I knew he was raised a Catholic). Big deal? I don’t think so. I am sorry if you haven’t been able to figure out ‘what I am’, ‘who I am’, ‘where I belong’ etc, but is it possible to allow me to air my views without bashing my person hood? My expectation (strong hope) is that this blog site will choose to refrain from Christian bashing. If it happens again, it is clearly because of 3 people who have a tendency to practise pettiness. Perhaps others are reading this blog site but never contribute. Perhaps that’s because of the pettinesses. A little leven levens the whole lump. Perhaps Your NZ will grow in stature and helpful political outreach if you allow me my place. PG puts up useful posts. Wouldn’t you like to allow a Christian in too? I didn’t even introduce myself as a Christian! I introduced myself as a person who would appreciate some discussion regarding abuse in the churches. I’m still interested to see if that eventuates. If I had a link to give you regarding my ethos, I would share it. At this point I have nothing like that prepared. My plan was simply to try a little personal contribution on Your NZ. I think that’s a great name for a blog site.