Victim complex at Whale Oil

It’s not just Cameron Slater and SB who play the victim card hard at Whale Oil. Some of the remaining support crew there are joining the loyal cry baby choir, making claims that are closer to the reverse of what has actually been happening.

From Comment of the day today (from ‘George’):

Have you ever asked yourself why the left, in cohorts with the MSM, exert so much energy, time and resource, both legally and illegally, attempting to discredit and silence Whale Oil Beef Hooked?

I will tell you why. Because we are “Focusing on what matters to us”. So next time the media asks you whether you read Whaleoil, don’t be intimidated by association. That’s playing into the left’s objective of silencing opposing views. They fear Whaleoil because it represents a real opposition to their ideological cancer. You are either for us or against us. Get off the fence and “Focus on what matters to us”.

I don’t see the left or the media spend much energy, time and resource attempting to discredit Whale Oil. Most of the discrediting of Whale Oil has come from the right of politics, and from a sole blog operating outside the mainstream media. Slater, Lusk and Ross (and a few others) have inflicted the most blows to credibility at Whale Oil.

“Focusing on what matters to us” – not unusual for a blog. That’s what just about all of them do.

I doubt there many in the media going around asking people if they read Whale Oil. Why would they? Curiosity about who has survived there, and why curiosity about why they remain loyal? That would be kind of interesting, but most people, and most of the mainstream media’s audience, don’t know about or don’t care about political blogs.

Who has been legally challenging Whale Oil? It doesn’t seem to be the media. The legal challenges I have seen have been:

• The police, who successfully prosecuted Slater on five counts of breaches of court non-publication orders (suppression).
  • The police, who charged Slater with attempting to procure an illegal hacking of a left wing blog (The Standard).
  • Colin Craig, who sued Slater for defamation. The court found that Slater had defamed Craig, but no damages were awarded. Craig is not left wing.
  • Matthew Blomfield, who sued Slater for defamation (and appears to have been successful). I’m not aware of any political preferences involved there, the campaign against Blomfield on Whale Oil was due to a business relationship turning sour.
  • Dr Doug Sellman, Dr Boyd Swinburn and Shane Bradbrook are currently suing Slater for defamation as a result of an attack campaign on Whale Oil. The biggest issue here seems to be whether the New Zealand Food and Grocery Council paid PR company owner Carrick Graham and/or to Slater attack the academics. There appears to be no direct link to politics.

I don’t see any sign of the media being a party to any of these legal proceedings apart from reporting on some of them some of the time.

There are some legal proceedings involving Slater and media:

• Slater was an informant and a witness in a failed private prosecution of APN Limited and Lynn Prentice  – Slater and Dermot Nottingham were trying to silence NZ Herald and The Standard blog.
  • Slater was an informant and nmed as a witness in a failed private prosecution of llied Press limited and myself – Slater and Nottingham were trying to silence Otago Daily Times and Your NZ.
  • Slater was associated with a failed attempt by marc Spring to silence Your NZ.

So Slater has been actively involved in trying to silence opposing views, the reverse of what ‘George’ claims.

“The left’s objective of silencing opposing views” is a topical issue, but Whale Oil doesn’t figure in that debate, which is mostly raging on the left.

There’s probably more people who fear tadpoles than fear Whale Oil.

“You are either for us or against us” – funny. I think this is a risky way of trying to consolidate some sort of power base. There are shrinking numbers at Whale Oil, and it is increasingly common to see challenges to the activist aims there, especially when anti-National. Trying to run an ‘us versus them’ campaign will likely alienate more of the remaining stalwarts.

Whale Oil is a victim of sorts – of their own failures. Making ludicrous claims while claiming to be victims just damages their own credibility further, if that were possible.

1. Kitty Catkin

In COHORTS ???

Hardly even in CAHOOTS, one would think.

I have occasionally looked at WO, and then wondered I had bothered.

2. Gerrit

/  December 2, 2018

Why the interest in the Whaleoil blog and it’s well being or demise?

Surely if you worry about the site’s contributors painting themselves as victims, why the concern?

Not a supporter off the Whaleoil site but the often referral here to Whaleoil, must represent either concern or more likely a put down?

Surely ignoring the site is a better option?

A much better site for a laugh is the Daily Blog.

Revolution in the air, radical Greens are on the march, communism and isolationism rolled into one.

Much more fun to be had in their delusions than WhaleOil

–“Secondly this new political movement needs a populist economic manifesto that rejects free market globalisation and neoliberalism, supports 5 year economic planning, invests in economic self sufficiency and seeks real independence and sovereignty by rejecting open door mass immigration, foreign sales of our water and foreign ownership of any NZ land. We need to rapidly increase our military budget and invest heavily in community self sufficiency. Under a rapidly warming world, mass climate change migration will become an obscene reality and New Zealand will be one of the few lifeboats left.””–

3. Kitty Catkin

/  December 2, 2018

‘Ive lost my mojo, waa-hah-aah !
    I’ve lost my mo-oh-jo !
    I’ve lost my mojo, waa-aaa-aah !
    I’ve lost my mo-jo-oh!’

People stopped bothering to look at Cam’s blog,
    Knocked it right on the head,
    What was the use of reading such tripe ?
    With a mouthful of air, Whale Oil said

‘We’ve lost our readers, waa-aah-aah !
    We’ve lost our rea-ea-ders !
    It’s all the fault of the left and the press –
    We’ve lost our rea-ea-ders !’

• PDB

/  December 2, 2018

There was a blog named Whaleoil,
      Who’s owner began to uncoil,
      Paranoia was rife,
      and along with his wife,
      He began to collect hats of tinfoil.

/  December 2, 2018

There’s a factory here that makes tin foil,
        And the shareholders really love Whale Oil,
        The profits have soared
        Since his fans became bored
        And the bloggers have been in such turmoil.

• Hahaha, Rolf Harris will never sound the same 🙂

/  December 3, 2018

Parodies are great fun to do. But one has to keep the scansion right 😀

4. PDB

/  December 2, 2018

Whaleoil – ban on anyone voicing a different opinion – echo chamber – irrelevance – anger & self-pity – delusions of grandeur – remaining sycophants – Whaleoil.

/  December 2, 2018

Blow, blow, blow your blog
      Swiftly down the drain,
      Censorship, sycophants, hubris and rage
      Can’t replace a brain.

/  December 2, 2018

It’s a tricky business trying to make one’s fame & fortune by being a loudmouthed obnoxious arsehole. Few succeed, like Trump, & Cam’s just not in his league.

/  December 2, 2018

Has Cam shafted himself ?

(collapses larfing at own joke)

/  December 2, 2018

I’m tired. I keep misreading PG’s headline as “Vitamin Complex At Whale Oil”. :/

• robertguyton

/  December 2, 2018

Reading comprehension problems, Gezza?
          Thought so.

/  December 2, 2018

Yes. But only because I’m tired and that fits with their advertising. The thing is, I won’t have that problem in the morning. But yours appears to be a permanent characteristic.

/  December 3, 2018

It’s Freudian, they all need one.

/  December 2, 2018

Whaleoil’s slow demise is the consequence of its own hubris amd censorship of criticism that might have moderated it.

7. Tipene

/  December 2, 2018

Law of natural consequences wins again…….blast those universal laws!

8. Loki

/  December 3, 2018

The “poor me” problem has been evident forever with Slater.
    It is always everybody else’s fault.
    Completely incapable of inward focus or self realisation that he is the architect of every mishap.
    It is no wonder that Stockholm Syndrome has begun to affect all around him.
    Those of us that used to support him often make bets to see how long the next batch of useful idiots will last before the scales fall away.
    I lost big time on Pete Belt, he lasted a lot longer than usual.
    He has disappeared completely.

• Karen

/  December 3, 2018

When I saw the mention of Pete Belt I thought I must share with you guys that Belt has his own blog now. I tripped over it a month or so ago and thought some of it was good centre right stuff.

Anyway I’ve not been back and just searched for it to share the link if anyone is interested.

Seems over the past little while Belt has been blogging on his issues with power companies and how they metre power charges which is not exactly centre right political stuff so I went back through older posts to be sure it was the same blog I’d visited previously and came accross a scathing post about you know who:

The blog

The scathing post:

PG, sincerely apologise if this breaches any rules around posting links, I’m sure you will delete if you need to and just in case here is the post, short sharp and almost exactly a year after your post “Will trousers stay up at Belt-less Whale Oil”

The post:

“365 days ago I met with a man in the depths of paranoia who wanted me to sign an NDA and threatened me with a lawsuit if I exercised my free speech in any way he felt was damaging to him. I told him to get knotted and spent the next 365 days getting on with life. He told me we were “too alike”. That’s where he was wrong. I do not waste my time looking for revenge. A proverb states: “If you want revenge, dig two graves”. The man has so many graves, I didn’t need to add another one. So there is the significant difference he could not see. It was a job. I was a mercenary. You stop paying, I stop caring.

That’s all.”

Think its fair to say it didnt end well.

9. Mother

/  December 3, 2018

I know you people are not especially keen to hear my church views – but here’s another. My understanding is that Mr Slater has a mentor, an older rich man of the sda ‘church’. He has mentioned truth in Jesus and this means he seeks (good on him). I have watched sda, and have also researched. I think CS is losing out on his potential to be a political hero because he’s mixed up with sda. They confuse people and they desire to use politicians for ‘church’ gain and visaversa. Sad, a nuisance and dangerous to varying degrees. It seems to me that the extremes in NZ politics are being influenced by religious obsession, which is paganism in disguise. Jesus has many lookalikes nowadays. For those who seek, it is a battle for the mind. Criticising WO is tempting because their extremism has hurt people. I personally like WO’s straight thinking but I agree that it gets tiresome. It’s laced with incessant harsh criticism which goes beyond critical thinking. I think this comes from the sda spirit which lacks the moderation of tolerance.

/  December 3, 2018

Does Slater really profess to be a Christian? I struggle to reconcile that with his behaviour. Also I understood he had some connections with Israel?

• MaureenW

/  December 3, 2018

Funny, I’m not surprised you have news on Slater. [Deleted. PG]

• MaureenW

/  December 3, 2018

Lol, who is “you people”? Clearly not your people.

10. Karen

/  December 3, 2018

“You are either for us or against us” – as in support Winston Peters or National???

Yeah that’s not hard, I’m against, but thanks for asking.

Something I’ve wondered that maybe Loki could address if he sees this.

Why the change of heart over there on WRP’s?

My guess was simply that Peters patted him on the head a couple of times and fed him low level information that he wanted on the blog and thus made out hero feel part of the action again after being out in the cold for so long.

In other words played him a cheap insecure chump.

Or was legal help part of it?