Open Forum – Thursday

6 December 2018

Forum

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Free speech is an important principle here but some people who might pose a risk to the site may be limited.

Next Post

1. David

/  December 6, 2018

This exposes the ridiculousness of Kiwibuild and shows how different it is to what was promised. Kiwibuild is just Twyford being approached by property developers flicking off houses for a decent profit and Twyford/the taxpayer acting as a mortgage broker with a handy client list to market to.
    With the daftness of the Wanaka failure, the Palmerston North attempt at selling houses 100k over the average and the first house in Auckland going to a Doctor and a marketing manager the whole bondoogle should be shut down and Twyford should focus his efforts at the well known barriers to build.

/  December 6, 2018

What exactly is the problem with changing the RMA? So far as I can see all parties agree it’s critical, bad and needs changing. There is a coalition in Parliament which has sufficient numbers to get on with the job and with everybody including her majesty’s loyal opposition agreed it has to be overhauled and stripped back, it ought to be a doddle. Where are the crucial parts that are preventing this? Does anybody know? Stuffed if I do.

2. lurcher1948

/  December 6, 2018

I hope the National party MPs are going to have their salaries docked.How can you run the country if the workers strike at a drop of a hat.

/  December 6, 2018

You may not have noticed, but National party MPs are not running the country, Lurchy. And, some would argue with some justification, Labour MPs are not either.

• lurcher1948

/  December 6, 2018

Labour are the bosses National are the plebs,and if you cannot kick the plebs around, wheres the fun.Poor Simon the daggers are at his back,asked about 8 minutes of questions, got nowhere spat the dummy, walked out,and made a fool of himself.

/  December 6, 2018

Winston is the boss. Jacinda is the front woman for the intelligent one among the Labour MPs, and the person who explains to the nation what the unintelligent ones have just done without asking her first.

• lurcher1948

The best show in town

3. lurcher1948

/  December 6, 2018

So Gezza, National is still leaking like a sieve, ie internal polling do you think there’s a group,ie far right inside the party undermining the old guard, and Bridges to take the party lurching to the far right lead by…….

/  December 6, 2018

No – I don’t. I think someone external to the party is creating the impression someone internal is doing it. There is a lot skullduggery & blatant lying in politics. You will have noticed how quickly Jacinda has picked up & demonstrated the necessary skills.

• robertguyton

/  December 6, 2018

There’s a leaking Nat in there alright. Suggestions of a bug and a clever Government MP pretending they’re natty, is a fantasy. The leaking Nat waka is sinking lower and lower into the briny. Time to jettison some unneeded dead-weight. Maggie’s gotta go 🙂

/  December 6, 2018

There’s a leaking Nat in there alright.
          Christ. Who is it?

who wants Bridges gone?
            Main suspect….M.M.

/  December 6, 2018

Mickey Mouse or Mark Mitchell?

/  December 6, 2018

Never mind. Interchangeable imo.

/  December 6, 2018

But robert obviously knows who it is. And that’s why I’m asking him.

/  December 6, 2018

Skulduggery only has one l, it has nothing to do with skulls.

/  December 6, 2018

Christ. How embarrassing. Thanks for that. Such a good word I don’t want to making that mistake again. Good think Corks isn’t here. If he’d spotted that he might have been rude as anything to me and scored a point at last.

• robertguyton

/  December 6, 2018

Can’t name Nat “X”, sort, Gezza – Pete’d do his scone!

• robertguyton

sort = sorry, sorry.

/  December 6, 2018

Flick him an email & ask him fwd to me.

4. lurcher1948

/  December 6, 2018

Poor old Donald Trump he cannot relax(get me out of here)and for god’s sake drop the church spire hand signals you are NOT superior to anyone there,no one in that front row pew likes you Donald they tolerate you.

5. lurcher1948

/  December 6, 2018

Asking a question is Cameron Slater dead,his blog is run by females now…has he done a runner,asking for a friend

6. watching the committee stages of the Govt. Medicinal cannabis bill.. all Im hearing from Natl MPs is a mixture of Fear-mongering about ‘smoking loose leaf’ & then ‘we have a better regime & why are you not supporting it !?’

Just to be clear; Natl rejected Medicinal/therapeutic use for 9 looong years at every opportunity (2 previous Green bills) & have now done a 180 degree turn, because recent polls show about 80% support for this issue.

… I think there are 2 descriptors, to my mind: hypocrisy & double-standards

/  December 6, 2018

Do you want them to continue to vote against it? That seems odd.

• I would prefer they just cut out the nonsense & work with the Govt. as they said they would originally. All I hear is excuses why they think it will not work, in its current form

IF they really support this issue, why did they totally reject it for 9 years ?
        80%+ now support it : Politics 101

/  December 6, 2018

Well, fair enuf. But surely you would agree that hypocrisy, skullduggery and 180 degree turns are such a common feature of MMP politics (and politics generally) all the parties sin equally. If it was up to me I’d most likely be voting for the kind of legislation you want but I’d want to think very carefully about how to manage & mitigate any downsides there might be to legalising drugs & what resources needed to be devoted to that. Sadly for you I am not an MP.

• cheers Gezza for your feedback. All Ive heard from Natl so far; ‘Our way of the highway’ BUT they seem to still not accept, they are in opposition & do not have the numbers to stop this.

I am happy to see that Lab/NZF/Grns will pass it anyway. Welcome to 2018

Thanks for that warm welcome to 2018, good buddy. Back atcha. 👍

Makes me wish I’d come to 2018 in January like everybody else now.

Just for you, mon ami.

• my ‘welcome to 2018’ was to the Natl MPs who still seem to have their heads in 1970s on Cannabis !

btw; I noted during the debate, that a few Natl MPs could not help using the ‘MJ’ (slang word), which many others agree should not be used in the Med. context 😦

cheers…. 😀

• I just heard that the 3rd (final) reading will be next week.. YAHOOO !! 🙂 😀

7. Blazer

/  December 6, 2018

so much for the ‘going rate for talent’..has had every advantage since special legislation to form a near monopoly…$8mil for former C.E.O…and still a basket case…

8. PartisanZ

From PartisanZ Department of Misleading Headlines –

‘Driver smoked cannabis before killing Oamaru teen Zara Blackie in hit-and-run’ – NZHeraldo

“Before he left with his girlfriend about 10.30pm, he consumed three cans of bourbon and cola, and a quarter of a cannabis joint … The couple drove to Z Energy in Severn St and bought food and cigarettes, then continued to travel south … He [later] admitted to smoking the cannabis before he left his address, but believed it had not impaired him too much to drive.”

Some Baldhead or Family First henchman got to this reporter … What better ‘smoking gun’ as the cannabis debate heats up than a delightful young teenage girl killed by a drug-crazed driver …

/  December 6, 2018

In the paragraph you quote it doesn’t say he was a drug-crazed driver. I think most people probably realise it’s not generally a cause of psychosis and that it’s not an hallucinogenic. I know from my own experience, until you get used to it, it can impair situational awareness, focus attention, and make one oblivious to things going on outside one’s own head. It was a thing I particularly liked when listening to or playing music and these were the times I mostly used it. The combination of alcohol and cannabis was never a good thing for me.

9. lurcher1948

For Gezza
    Hey hey what’s there to say,I’was 70 years old yesterday,and,had a wine or 2 and thanks for paying my pension,all of you

/  December 6, 2018

Good one Lurch. 3 more years and they’ll be paying for mine too. Those idiots in the Beehive never gave me any money for winter power, Lurch. Stuff them, come next election. I’ll leave you and the other millionaires who creamed it off the rest of us last Winter to vote for them next time. I noticed you’d had a wine or two yesterday. Hope it was top plonk mate. Nothing but the best on ya birthday, neighbour.

• lurcher1948

/  December 6, 2018

Cheap old coach road,sav blanc, but as an aside did you hear Paula Bennett mutter LIAR under her breath in questioning Winston Peters, the bad cheques corpse has been skinned to the umpteenth time, how many weeks are the same few questions going to be asked, both JACINDA and andrew were missing today,cage fighting probably

/  December 6, 2018

No – what Question Number was it? I’ll check it out as soon as it pops up on YouTube.

/  December 6, 2018

Quite like what Carmel’s done with her hair. Colour’s good.

Hey, Q12 – JAG’s back ! 😀

/  December 6, 2018

David Clark done good today, in the Q10 on the Meningococcal W Northland outbreak.

National pathetic, trying to find some way to somehow profit off a disease outbreak.

Unfortunately for them, a faultless Health Dept/Health Board/Pharmac/local GP quick, well-coordinated response to immediately address the identification and notification of a well-defined “Community Outbreak” & reassure the community that plenty of supplies of the vaccine are available has seamlessly gone into action.

No cheap points available there I’m afraid, Dr Reti and Matt King. If it ain’t broke, don’t try to break it.

/  December 6, 2018

Q12, Bloody shambles. From everyone, Teach included.

• duperez

/  December 6, 2018

What’s Alfred Ngaro on about? Should we expect a headline: ‘Government doesn’t care about children drowning’?

/  December 6, 2018

I dunno, dupers. Complete waste of time that one. Just weird.

/  December 6, 2018

Ngaro needs to be filed in Mr Bridges..’fucking useless’ ..file.

• robertguyton

/  December 6, 2018

Ngaro’s efforts were hopeless. Julie Anne handled it professionally, until Winston stepped up and made a mockery. Her reference to Gerry, though deserved, was unnecessary but remembering the crap he served her up when he was in a position to do so, I say, good on her and I’m pleased Mallard saw it the same way. Gerry got all puffy, but needn’t’ve.

/  December 6, 2018

Yup. Good analysis. Agree with that. Jools looks good.

10. lurcher1948

/  December 6, 2018

A poster here,sometimes, Maggy W keeps us up to date with the PM Jacinda Aderns comings and goings, now if she could do one for Simon Bridges….WAIT HES NOT IMPORTANT
    Maggy Wassilieff
    16 days wagging out of the last 35 sitting days according to Hamish Price.

Thumb up 19 Thumb down 0 LOG IN TO REPLY REPORTDECEMBER 6, 2018 2:09PM

11. lurcher1948

/  December 6, 2018

Does anyone remember the smarlly years of National under sir key,he was as slippery as an eal,remember those days..Arden needs to come up with some cunning lines like Key would use. I don’t recall that. I can’t remember that. I have a recollection of that. That type of thing…

/  December 6, 2018

She does. I’ll make a list of some of them. Like I’ve done for her t=d words.

• robertguyton

/  December 6, 2018

Good man. We’ll line it up beside Key’s list and compare – you do have a list of Key’s cunning lines, Gezza?

/  December 6, 2018

No. I used to sometimes look up where things were at with BLiP’s list of lies by John Key but eventually I lost interest as I realised some of them were quite a stretch.

Be good to see & discuss your views on nuclear power as the most practical solution to the impending energy crisis seeing renewables technologies have no prospect whatsoever of providing enough energy to meet global needs if fossil-fuel generation is wound down. Expect you’ve been able to view the TED talk by now. It’s only 20 minutes long.

I’m not starting a list of Jacinda’s cunning lines, just the most common repeated words or phrases – I might put in a sub-category for cunning ones if you like. Let’s do this, I thought.

/  December 6, 2018

I wonder how she stopped herself saying ‘absolute/ly’. At one time, it was in almost every sentence.

/  December 6, 2018

1ewes just had a go at Willie Jackson for defending a whanau ora contractor getting a dividend. He must have had worked for them once or something. Peeni Henare was featured saying he “needed to have a word with him” and: “That’s why he’s the Minister for Whanau Ora – and he isn’t!” Maike Sherman was the reporter.

This was featured on yesterdays 1ewes at 6. Can’t find the item for their spat today.

Maike might be getting told her item was “stink” next.

13. duperez

/  December 6, 2018

Brian Tamaki, sorry, Bishop Brian Tamaki, was protesting outside Parliament today.

He’s launched a Waitangi Claim to get Destiny Church’s Man Up prison programme funded.

Tamaki reckons he’s been “prejudicially affected” by the Crown and demanded “fair and equal access to government funding for social programmes.”

What chance he’ll recognise all the tax dodges, sorry, opportunities he has had and fund the work himself that he thinks needs doing. God’s work. You know Brian, altruism and all that.

/  December 6, 2018

Did you notice the five stars that he’s awarded himself ?

/  December 6, 2018

Whether it’s Destiny or anyone else, there need to be checks on any church group going into prisons to do this sort of thing.

• duperez

/  December 6, 2018

I don’t know if what they are doing is recruitment. My cynicism definitely had the word ‘opportunist’ pass through my mind. I am pleased someone is trying to do something for inmates.

There are so many ironies about today that struck me. The ‘give me some money so I can do my good work’ is one.

The gang members with their usual look and Tamaki himself fitting in to that so well too. Of course there was the novelty of him being on the steps of Parliament. It’s a few years past the time when he was meant to be there ruling the country.

/  December 7, 2018

I remember that another soi-disant Bishop said that he had had a prophecy about Destiny and that in 5 years they would be ‘ruling and reigning’ (his words) over NZ, r & r over all the wealth and finance, social order etc…..the five years are long gone.

I would be delighted if something could be done for prisoners, and who better that ex-cons. I didn’t think of gang recruitment, quite honestly. I think that that’s probably happening anyway, and didn’t consider that as a reason. But I think that there have to be checks on anyone going into prisons, no matter who they are.

/  December 6, 2018

Nothing from Sir Alan since early this morning. Hope he’s ok. Wondering if the gorse fought back.

/  December 6, 2018

No, gorse was defeated. Need to walk thru with a spray backpack but too many showers today so spent it in the workshop making a window mossie screen and then fixing and adapting a lamp for a new shade. Not much happening here in my absence.

/  December 6, 2018

I did my best. robert disappeared so there wasn’t a lot to work with.

• robertguyton

/  December 6, 2018

Sorry, Gezza – I’ve been “fully engaged” with grandsons and granddaughters, then arranging a big hui and a musical event for next week – plus a forest garden tour then an unexpected visit, so… I looked at the TED talk, though I struggled to keep interested. I’ll look back at your questions now, if I can find them and see if there’s anything useful I can say.

/  December 6, 2018

Why did you struggle to keep interested. Don’t you care if there’s a worldwide energy crisis as a result of stupid, uniformed decisions by Greenies?

Still, thanks – I’ll be happy to see if you can say anything useful.

• robertguyton

/  December 6, 2018

Why the slights? Do you think it’s necessary to niggle me and put my “team” down as some sort of peeing competition? Why refer to “Greenies” at all?

/  December 6, 2018

I’m not doing that. I support some Greenie positions. I’m only asking about those situations where their positions or decisions are stupid and uninformed.

• robertguyton

/  December 6, 2018

So, in this discussion, if I was to say, “I’ll be happy to see if you can say anything useful.”, you don’t detect a subtle put-down?

• robertguyton

/  December 6, 2018

Or if I was to say, “Don’t you care if there’s a worldwide energy crisis as a result of stupid, uniformed decisions by people like you?”

• robertguyton

/  December 6, 2018

Okay, got it. I’ll answer in italics.
            “Did you watch the TED talk that persuaded me to change my view, robert?
            I have now … most of it anyway. More than enough. Wasn’t inspired.

And if you disagree with filling the massive energy needs of modern societies
            Yes, I have no faith at all that trying to meet the present expectations, energy-wise of modern societies.
            (they won’t disappear; the denizens of the world are not all going to end up living in forest gardens – they don’t have the luxury to do it that you do and never will)
            The will disappear, if not by volution, then by circumstance. It’s just not going to be the way it is now.
            and are opposed to nuclear power filling most of that need
            yes, I am as it is clear existing technologies or even imaginary ones of renewable sources can’t even come remotely near it.
            I agree that all systems presently in operation, under trial or imagined are not enough to feed the growing energy “maw”. That’s going to go hungry in coming years.

If you did watch it, and you are opposed to nuclear power as the safest and most practical alternative:

1. which points in the arguments for the inability of renewables to meet the modern world’s energy needs, do you disagree with, why, and what evidence do you have to support a contention that they will?
            I don’t disagree with that proposition. I don’t believe they can

2. which points in the evidence cited that nuclear accidents in total have in fact caused miniscule numbers of deaths & genetic damage in comparision to the deaths & disabilities caused by other existing energy sources, and that most of the commonly held beliefs of the lasting and widespread damaging effects of nuclear accidents are completely false – do you dispute – and what evidence do you have to prove that claims made there are false?
            I don’t dispute them, nor do I accept them unreservedly. It matters not to me how the amounts of energy we are consuming now, an increasing amount, btw, is proposed to be generated in the near and far future. The failure of that thinking is believing that we should continue to generate and expend that energy, the reason being all the things that result from that energy use, including population growth and expansion of civilisation. That’s all but over, Imo. Not because we’ll run out of energy, but because we are poisoning our environment in multiple ways and I include our spiritual/mental environment in that. We’ve overloaded all of our systems. Continuing to fire up the burners, however that’s done, will only hasten our demise through these peripheral factors.

3. if you have not watched the TED talk to consider the evidence and arguments advanced – why have you not?”
            As explained previously

/  December 6, 2018

Ok, that’s fair enuf. Thanks for that.

So, essentially, you are idelologically opposed, as opposed to having any evidence that nuclear is unsuitable, & too dangerous to the environment despite what seems like clear evidence that actually it’s not, & evidence in there that renewables will never be able to meet the huge & growing energy demands of modern societies.

And, even though an energy crisis will have wide-reaching adverse impacts on millions of people’s children and grandchildren, including providing for their needs and safety from climate extremes, whether those are either cooling or or heating, when they needn’t, you don’t care about theirs as long as yours are ok.

You just hope and believe it’ll all be ok and if not, too bad.

Would that be a fair summary?

15. robertguyton

/  December 6, 2018

“Would that be a fair summary?”
    No. You’ve missed the point. I’m not “ideologically opposed” to nuclear power, I do not support the continuation or attempted continuation of the present rate of energy use, because of the incidental damage that comes when energy is used so “freely”. To say, “you don’t care about theirs as long as yours are ok.” is overly emotive, loaded and wrong. I expect I’m as caring of my fellow humans as you are. Same with “You just hope and believe it’ll all be ok and if not, too bad.” I’ve said before that when posters like you accredit words, supposed motivations, feelings or beliefs, you invariably get it very wrong and seem to rather, project some inner fear onto me. If you have a specific question, ASK me, don’t claim, “you seem to think…” I’m astonished, after all my badgering about this point, you, Gezza, still do it!

/  December 6, 2018

I’m astonished you never notice how often you do it.

/  December 6, 2018

If you have a specific question, ASK me
      I did. And you’ve answered me. So now we’re clear on what you meant.
      Why are you complaining?

/  December 6, 2018

Absolutely. I’d have a good think exactly what to say in reply to get the maximum rise out of you. It would need to be one that had me rolling on the floor as you figured out where in god’s name I was taking this.

That one I’d be interested in. I’d want to know exactly why you thought my position was stupid and be keen to see what evidence or argument you had to support your viewpoint and show why mine was untenable.

/  December 6, 2018

But isn’t that effectively an argument that you think people should all leave the cities and return to agrarian societies? How is that going to help countries where the countryside can’t support the city populations any more? What are the implications for existing landowners and farmers in countries where there’s no arable land? Or what there are just oases & the rest is desert and they need massive amounts of energy to house and feed their populations? Imagine what would happen if energy starved Arab populations decided they needed land in Israel and to take it. How is this practical, robert. How could it work on the scales of millions of people?

• robertguyton

/  December 7, 2018

Are you referring to the “biogym” comment? It’s difficult to tell. If so…

“But isn’t that effectively an argument that you think people should all leave the cities and return to agrarian societies?”
        No. It’s a lighthearted promotion of the benefits of an active, outdoor activity that has multiple benefits to an individuals health.
        “How is that going to help countries where the countryside can’t support the city populations any more?”
        It’s not intended to. It’s also not being broadcast in those places. It’s a message to ageing political blog readers.
        “What are the implications for existing landowners and farmers in countries where there’s no arable land? Or what there are just oases & the rest is desert and they need massive amounts of energy to house and feed their populations? Imagine what would happen if energy starved Arab populations decided they needed land in Israel and to take it. How is this practical, robert. How could it work on the scales of millions of people?”
        How should I know? I expect such an idea would appeal to only a few, sadly, and not to Governments intent of keeping their civilised worlds grinding away. It’s a heck of a good idea though, despite your … reservations.

/  December 7, 2018

Nobody else over there seems to have said so?

Are you referring to the “biogym” comment? It’s difficult to tell.

😳

It’s a reply to your comment with a link that took me straight to your biogym comment?