Open Forum – Wednesday

2 January 2019

Forum

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria.

Next Post

1. Corky

/  January 2, 2019

Sweden is almost a cashless society… New Zealand will eventually follow. But thanks to our huge underclasss, cash will be king for sometime yet. I was reminded of our fate yesterday when a shop assistant became exasperated with me because she needed to go out the back and find change to complete our transaction.

These Swedish Sheeple have not the faintest idea of the implications a cashless society will bring. Just like they have no idea regarding immigration. Of course, given their highly regulated socialist society where many things are paid for by the state, going cashless was a logical progression and very easy to implement.

/  January 2, 2019

What makes you so certain the shop assistant’s exasperation with you was only because they needed to find some change for you, Corks? 😳

• Pink David

/  January 2, 2019

The next issue coming, should credit card companies monitor your spending and cut you out of the economy if you spend in a way that is not ‘acceptable’?

This is starting, the pressure on them to do this is increasing significantly.

/  January 2, 2019

Wouldn’t surprise me, PD. When we go cashless, the underclass will be issued with a government a credit card. That of course means Winz will direct the spending of all their clients (😄). Just as you have suggested above.

People` with mainstream credit cards will have spending monitored if they owe banks or any government institution.

1984 will truly have arrived.

/  January 2, 2019

We have heard the shop with no change story before; what sort of shop doesn’t have a cash register and money, even now ? I have yet to encounter one. How odd to keep the cash out the back, unless you barged in when they had cashed up, as some inconsiderate people do, and very annoying it is when they do this.

/  January 2, 2019

”We have heard the shop with no change story before.”

I have heard no such story. What are you talking about? Of course there was a cash register..with limited currency inside. Apparently not enough for the $20 dollars I proffered. I have had similar in other shops. They usually say, ”have you anything smaller?” Of course I tell them I only have the denomination the ATM machine gives out.

”How odd to keep the cash out the back.”

Your joking right? If they have been to the bank, they keep the reserve funds for the till in the back. My video store has a floor safe in the smoko room. You obviously have little experience in retail.

”1984 was over decades ago and was nothing like the Orwell book. Society now isn’t, either, as anyone who’s read it will know.”

Try sorting the underlying theme from the filler.

”As everyone with a mortgage owes money to a bank (or anyone whose credit card is actually used, ergo making a debt, even if a temporary one) the monitored spending idea is a fantasy.”

I think you missed the point there.

Now that we have that fluff out of the way…you have failed to comment on the cashless society. What do you think? Will it eventuate? Will you be one those to receive a government credit card if it does eventuated? Would you object to Winz stopping you buying knitting supplies with your state issued credit card because you owe them $30 for a mistaken over payment?

/  January 2, 2019

So you don’t remember telling us about the shop worker being annoyed at being expected to give you cash before ? It’s not new, you have made this claim before. No change for $20 ? Dream on, you can’t expect anyone to believe that. Not this time and not the other times that it has supposedly happened to you. It usually has no actual cash in the till, only eftpos, Fantasists should have good memories.

I have worked in shops in school and university holidays and part-time in my last year at Vic. I also use shops, and have never had anyone not have change for $20. The cash would be at the back at the end of the day when the shop had cashed up, and it’s a real nuisance when someone comes in then.

I don’t know why you’re babbling about WINZ and knitting supplies (I don’t knit and it would be none of your business if I did) As there are no such things as government issued credit cards, it’s a pointless speculation.

The cashless society idea has been discussed ad nauseam. I didn’t feel it necessary to cover old ground, only point out the flaws in the argument about something that is pure speculation. As I said, mortgages are bank debts, as is any credit card transaction. If you can’t understand that would mean that most people would be debtors in that way, tant pis for toi.

/  January 2, 2019

How much do you usually get out of the ATM at a time Corky?

/  January 2, 2019

Interesting doco Corks. Stuff to think about that most people won’t know about or have ever considered. Like, a cashless society will be using private banks’ cash, not central banks’ cash.

/  January 2, 2019

Nice. What beach, neighbour?

/  January 2, 2019

What a blissful smile on RED’s face. Why do dogs happily play in water but make such a hoohah about baths ?

I read about a dog who made his dogfriend go into the sea and stay there until the first dog let him come out. This cured something, I forget what. But how did the dog know to do this ???

/  January 2, 2019

Possibly he was a dogtor?

gerrrrrroannnnnnn…….

/  January 2, 2019

He was literally an old seadog; the only dog to be enlisted in the Royal Navy. His name was Just Nuisance. He was called Nuisance (usually with a qualification) before he enlisted, because he used to lie in the gangway and he was a huge Great Dane. When his papers were drawn up, he didn’t, of course, have a first name. It was decided to put him down as just Nuisanc’, and some wit suggested that they give him Just as a first name. So they did.

He was famous; I have read his biography. There’s a photo of him standing with his hands on a sailor’s shoulders, and even if the sailor wasn’t a tall man, Nuisance was enormous.

/  January 2, 2019

They make a right-angled triangle and Nuisance is the hypoteneuse.

2. Corky

/  January 2, 2019

First day of my supermarket going plastic bag free. I couldn’t help noticing the bewildered look on some peoples faces. They either can’t read, or are blind. This measure has been publicised in the supermarket via prominent signs since September.

So, if they are ignorant regarding plastic bags…what do they know about the world around them? Do they care? Do they know who the PM is. Chances are no, neither would they give a stuff.

• NOEL

/  January 2, 2019

Laid all the replacement bags on the floor whilst the wife emptied the trolley.
      Cashier placed the items above where the plastic bags were and I hastily loaded the bags to keep up. Wasn’t until I placed the bags in the trolley that I released they got more bang for their buck by charging one dollar for the replacement bags.

• Pink David

/  January 2, 2019

The supermarkets will make around $30m per year with this change.

In the UK it has been very profitable, and significantly increased plastic waste.

• Pink David

/  January 2, 2019

Just for fun, around 1.3 billion reusable bags were solid in the UK last year, they need to be reused 80 times to match the previous HDPE bags.

Organic cotton bags need to be reused 20,000 times.

/  January 2, 2019

If people are blind, it’s surely unsurprising that they can’t read a sign, but the supposed surprise at there being no more bags is hardly grounds for assuming that people know nothing about the world or even who the PM is.

The eco bags are just another form of plastic, they are a have. I had two of the new ones, and neither would have lasted 8 times, never mind 80. One was so badly made that it started to fall apart at the seams almost at once. One caught and was ripped on something that shouldn’t have ripped it. I have heard the seams going story from other people.

I take a wheeled bag (smaller sized suitcases are great for this) and have stockpiled plastic bags, as they are needed for some things. As fruit bags are still around, it’s odd that the people Corky went around gazing at didn’t use those or the tough plastic bags that cost 15-25c and are better than the flimsy supposedly reusable ones. I like the hessian bags, but the new ones can’t be used as shoulder bags, unlike the Trelise Cooper ones.

The tough ones are next to go, according to Eugenie Sage-Green. Another feel-good exercise. People will stockpile them. I imagine.

It would be more to the point to look at things like treated/coated card and paper when it doesn’t need to be, like the ‘programmes’ at funerals and the silverbacked card that came with some foldback clips that I bought. These also came in two boxes, both unrecyclable. I cut these things into strips so that they take up hardly any space in the bin, but they are still there.

20,000 times would mean taking them to the shop for ? years. And what bag would not be worn out long before then ?

/  January 2, 2019

384 years, assuming that they are used once a week. That can’t be right !!!

/  January 2, 2019

”As fruit bags are still around, it’s odd that the people Corky went around gazing at didn’t use those or the tough plastic bags that cost 15-25c and are better than the flimsy supposedly reusable ones. ”

Note to self: When standing in line, look at the floor so I can become as unobservant as Kitty.🙄 The people I noticed, who had no idea plastic bags had been discontinued, did opt for the new tougher plastic bag option ( 15c).

Those plastic bags didn’t look very biodegradable.

/  January 2, 2019

If those people did buy plastic bags, it makes your story even more pointless, if there are degrees of pointlessness.

I don’t go around gawping at people in supermarkets to see what they do about plastic bags; heaven forfend that I should ever have so little to do or think about. It’s impossible to imagine having nothing better to do than gape into other people’s trolleys to see what’s in there. What do you do – hang around the stand to see who takes the new bags when you have stopped goggling at people buying avocados ? What a dull life you must lead. I go to the supermarket, do what I have to and leave, as most people do.

Recylable and biodegradable are not synonymous; this is well-known, surely. Nobody is claiming that the tougher ones are biodegradable, only that they are, as soft plastic, recyclable. Yes, I know that you don’t believe that soft plastic is recyclable, but I can’t help that.

/  January 2, 2019

”Recylable and biodegradable are not synonymous; this is well-known, surely. Nobody is claiming that the tougher ones are biodegradable, only that they are, as soft plastic, recyclable. ”

You missed a couple of salient points there…mainly the contradiction, given the drive to rid our environment of plastic bags..and the presumption such bags will be recycled.

/  January 2, 2019

Most soft plastics are, there are bins in most supermarkets. The ones I see are usually full.

It is not a contradiction to anyone but a dimwit like you. I won’t ask how it is, I’ll be given a silly, trolling answer.

/  January 2, 2019

I got caught out on the way back from ma’s around 7 pm last night. I thought “I’ll just pop in & grab some more milk and coffee, seeing I’m gonna run out tonight & I’m passing New World on the way home”.

So I waltzed in, saw Hinemoa was back on deck, supervising the automated checkouts, told her she looked gorgeous as alway (got a big grin back), shot round to the coffee aisle – did a quick scan, my favourite wasn’t on special – dammit, grabbed one anyway, dashed down to the milk shelves (in a hurry in case Wilkinson was rampaging unchecked on YNZ in my absence & I was urgently needed here to get the blighter under control again) & then walked briskly and confidently up to the auto checkout, leaned round to make sure the plastic bag had been set up & opened, ready and waiting as always and

😮 “Shit ! There isn’t one. Oh Lord. Christ. I forgot. 🙄 Let me think. I’ve got some bags in the boot, ready for this eventuality. 😕 But I’ll have to go and get them ! Everyone will know. They’ll larf at me. Bastards. >:D

Anyway I looked around and saw there was nobody else watching me so I left my basket next to the machine, got down low, and ran out [past the Lotto counter to the car and slipped back in & nobody had noticed so it was all good. 👍

/  January 2, 2019

(And then I sat in the car for 30 seconds thinking. It was two bloody items. I could’ve just carried the bloody things out, one in each hand ! 🙄 )

/  January 2, 2019

Yes, an idiot ban on an infintesimal proportion of plastic waste which will cause heaps of trouble and inconvenience. Just needed a bag to put a bunch of ant-infested dead solar lights and luckily had an old shopping bag in the ute. Otherwise I’d have had to find an environmentalist like Robert to stuff them down his pants.

/  January 2, 2019

It’s what New Zealanders want, Al. Eugenie says so.

The government has confirmed single-use bags and thicker boutique bags will be phased out over six months as soon as Cabinet signs off on the regulations.

Binliners and synthetic fabric reusable bags will still be allowed, as will bags provided for fruit, vegetables and raw meat.

Associate Environment Minister Eugenie Sage said a ban was what New Zealanders wanted.

Anyway, soon it will be more than just supermarket shopping bags, so your concerns about it being too small a ban will be addressed.

The Government will extend its plastic bag ban to include thicker bags from high street shops as it moves to rid the environment of plastic waste wreaking havoc with the environment.

• “There’s has been huge public support for this. Ninety-two percent of people who made submissions – and there were nearly 10,000 submissions – supported it.”

This is nonsense.

Percentage of submitters says nothing about public support. Submissions are often organised from special interest groups to inflate the numbers to give an appearance of high support. Ministers should know better than to claim submission % represent some level of public support.

/  January 2, 2019

I suspect she does know better. Knowing better and not doing it are two different things that need not be related in politics & ideological wars.

/  January 2, 2019

Who cares what the support is if it’s a braindead stupid law advocated by halfwits?

3. lurcher1948

/  January 2, 2019

Here in the greatest capital Wellington we bave to put up with stupid, from NZME ZB in the form of HDPA so we dont feel that we missing her, they continue with stupid hosts, probably thinking for there rightwing listeners

YNZ POSTER AND READER SURVEY

In your opinion, & based on their track record so far, which one of the following two eels would make a better Prime Minister for New Zealand than Simon Bridges ?

Elvira Longfin – Uptick

Granville Shortfin – Downtick

Undecided – Don’t tick

5. NOEL

/  January 2, 2019

Aw Gezza yah going to have to sneak up at night with an infra red camera so we can get a real indication.

Today’s Helpful Hint

Don’t buy paste or glue to stick your address label back on your recycling wheelie bin.
    A flour and water mix still rocks.

PS: Big ups to WCC for the wheelie bin lid clip. Nice to see my rates spent wisely.

/  January 2, 2019

We painted our address on after the storm that sent the green bins rolling merrily down the hill, as did many other people.

We pay $1.50 per rubbish bag, using stickers which are sold in many places, and the equivalent of 3 of these a week was taken off the rates. As I put out 2 black sacks last year, I am well in pocket. I bought a smart red dustbin for about $15 and empty the kitchen bin and other little bins into it. 2 is a record, but it’s always in the low single figures.

Really, although our council makes as many stuff-ups as any other, they did well on this very simple scheme.

/  January 2, 2019

Flour and water may not be great in wet weather.

/  January 2, 2019

Good for cupcakes though.

/  January 2, 2019

I can’t imagine anyone making them of flour and water, they are made with milk and other things. You must be thinking of damper.

7. High Flying Duck

Too good not to share :

8. Corky

/  January 2, 2019

I see the latest terrorist attack barely rates a mention. I think it’s called ‘conditioning,’ – making the abnormal acceptable.

Two points about the latest attack… why wasn’t the suspect shot dead?

And, many people may think the victims got off lightly because they didn’t die. The fact is, if they sustained injuries to their face or hands, chances are they will receive permanent nerve damage. Such injuries cause the injured area to become numb and heavy. The window for trying to fix such injuries is one hour before permanent damage commences.

Here’s a list of terrorist attacks for 2018. No surprises really.

/  January 2, 2019

It has rated many mentions if it’s the stabbings, is being ‘investigated’ in case of terrorism as these things are although that isn’t known yet (the man seems to have serious mental health problems) There are many knife crimes in the UK, and the vast majority are not terrorist.

/  January 2, 2019

”It has rated many mentions if it’s the stabbings.”

Not compared with other terrorist incidents. Just listened to a radio news bulletin..didn’t rate a mention.

”There are many knife crimes in the UK, and the vast majority are not terrorist

Yes, I know. I introduced you to that information a couple of years back. We where discussing gun crime in America.

‘There’s no point in that link, we all have access to papers, online news and television news so will have heard of them.”

There’s a major point to that link..it’s called an overview. Something that is hard to obtain just by having access to the news.

Let me guess. You kept a list of all terrorist incidents during 2018, so that list is nothing new to you?

/  January 2, 2019

There seem to be terrorist shooting incidents going on all the time in NZ but they’re mostly gang-related from what I see.

/  January 2, 2019

Bollocks to all of that. I have known for some years about the knife crime in the UK, I didn’t need you to tell me about it. I lived there and have a brother there, remember ? I take an interest in what’s going on there. I know many of the places, which is more than you do, I suspect. I saw one knife attack in the street and was in London when another man was murdered for being on the wrong side after a football match. It’s been going on far longer than ‘a couple of years’. Read people like Theodore Dalrymple.

I was in Europe when there were various terrorist incidents by gangs; again, probably more than you have been. Family members have been affected by them in Ulster, my mother and stepfather were shot at and my mother and her sister were in a house that was damaged by the bomb that killed Mountbatten. My grandmother saw pieces of bodies being raked down from trees, and it was not uncommon to see blood and tiny bits of bodies being hosed off pavements.

If I am morbid enough to want to know about every terrorist incident that happened up to March 2018 (almost a year ago now) I am capable of looking it up for myself, thank you. I think that I can work it out without that; I am capable of analysis (you may need help, not being university educated)

Your guess is, unsurprisingly, the usual troll one of trying to make it seem as if someone has made a claim that they haven’t. It’s also called straw man arguing. It’s the last resort of those who have no real case to put.

But keep on trolling, with any luck you’ll troll yourself off YNZ again, and not let back on this time.

/  January 2, 2019

The idea that YOU introduced me to something that I had known for years is ludicrous. Don’t make claims unless you can prove them, it makes you look very silly.

/  January 2, 2019

To be a good troll you have to have a good memory. Obviously mnemonics isn’t your strong point…a little like your logic.

BTW..just heard them discussing the the chances of those new (15c) plastic bags being recycled, on the radio. Seems like few agree with you. What do you think of that?

/  January 2, 2019

You are evidence that trolls need good memories or they will repeat their lies and not remember that they have told this lie before.

Are you sure that you know what a mnemonic is ?

/  January 2, 2019

”Are you sure that you know what a mnemonic is ?”

Well,not really. I chose a random word and hoped for the best.

/  January 2, 2019

That’s right, troll away, attack when you can’t think of a logical response. Personal abuse as a substitute for reasoned argument is the troll way.

What do I think of your happening to hear that on the radio and that few agree with me (I take it that you mean about the recycling of soft plastics, despite the fact that it’s been proved that they are) ? If you think that I believe it, you must be very gullible indeed.

/  January 2, 2019

I knew what a mnemonic was when I was seven and learned ROY G BIV for the rainbow colours, and what the name was for these aides-memoire. (that’s French, mnemonic is Greek, and the first m is silent)

/  January 2, 2019

Just heard the mayor of Manchester prattle the same bs most officials spout after a terrorist attack. He’s wont tolerated this type of action. We are back in control. Safety first,,blah, blah and blah.

The reality: Terrorists are calling the agenda. How many Britons will die this year? I bet things would be different if Trumpy was the mayor.

/  January 2, 2019

Haven’t seen anything about this one either Corks.

Four people injured in ramming attack in the early hours of New Year’s Day in Bottrop, northwest Germany.
      2 Jan 2019 (NZ)

A 50-year-old German man clearly intended to kill foreigners when he rammed his silver Mercedes into a crowd of people in the northwest German town of Bottrop in the early hours of New Year’s Day, injuring four, a senior government official has said.

Police said the man, who was not named, made racist comments when he was stopped and arrested in the nearby city of Essen after fleeing the scene of the attack.

What’s your point?

/  January 2, 2019

I prefer you get rid of that ‘Mr Reasonable’ persona. Tell it straight. Like this [deleted]. Man, this should have made the news.

/  January 3, 2019

Christ. Another bloody religious nut. His claim to Israel for the Jews rests on only 300 years of their being a nation there, 2,000 years ago. And on swallowing the ridiculous belief some made-up God called Jaweh told them to nick it off, slaughter, & enslave, the original inhabitants. Fuxake Corky. They’ve plonked themselves down in the middle of what’s been Muslim territory for 1400 years & are busy slaughtering & driving out the local inhabitants again. It won’t end well in all probability.

9. Corky

/  January 2, 2019

True..but..gangs aren’t considered terrorists. And, gangs don’t target the innocent, as a general rule, for execution because they don’t live like gang-bangers. Look at the list and see the amount of innocent people slaughtered.

/  January 2, 2019

Women most affected by job losses due to automation and also missing out on high paid IT jobs:

11. lurcher1948

/  January 2, 2019

Well knock me over with a feather,Farrar actually moderates.This thing is wishing living hell on the Prime Minister Jacinda Arderns baby Neve…the right are SO disgusting

I hope the first victim is her wretched spoor of the cursed union. I’m sick of ordinary people paying the price of decisions made by an elite who are removed from the consequences. I want her disgusting brat to suffer hideously so she can know the pain she inflicted on millions of others.

[DPF: You need to see a psychiatrist. That is also Strike 7 and a three month suspension]

Thumb up 4 Thumb down 16 LOG IN TO REPLY REPORTJANUARY 2, 2019 4:18PM
    PG he could be visiting this blog soon